Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Taito Gun Arena  (Read 2626 times)

Vectorfire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2023, 02:56:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Taito Gun Arena
« on: February 22, 2020, 10:48:30 am »
Just saw this poking around on YouTube and thought I would share.
Definetly something we will never see stateside.   :censored:

Groovy_Mame Rig:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel i7-3770K @ 4.50ghz
16gb DDR3
Creative SB0730 X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sapphire Dua-X R 280 Radeon: DVI-I-->VGA adapter
Ultimarc Video Amplifier
27" Makvision Tri-Mode Monitor

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
Re: Taito Gun Arena
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 12:59:43 pm »
It looks like fun.

There's always a chance we could see it in the States. There is a lot of new arcade games being released here lately. The arcades that are left need new and exclusive content to keep people coming back.

I read a blog written by an arcade owner recently and, perhaps not that surprisingly, it's not the classics that people come to play. It's the new games that make money.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 07:33:39 pm »
That will never be released in an arcade in the states because the guns shoot airsoft pellets.  It's a huge safety no-no.  Now perhaps in a private club, or a barcade situation maybe, but even then it'll never be officially released in the US and thus import fees are going to be crazy high. 

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 11:25:04 am »
That's a good point.

It's hard to believe that the Japanese would allow it in regular arcades with young kids either if it is actually using regular airsoft pellets. They have much stricter gun safety regulations than here. You'd have to make everyone walking passed it wear eye protection to avoid being hit by a rebound.

I can't see all the fine details in the video but it certainly looks like real airsoft pellets and the players are wearing eye protection.... I was wondering how they reload to avoid it being someone's full time job. Maybe it's using compressed air to cycle them back into the guns via the hose.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 02:41:17 pm »
Looks like it is coming to America:

https://primetimeamusements.com/product/on-point/

Obviously being available to buy isn't the same as it going in Dave & Busters though.

I was thinking that maybe it's set up so it only fires when pointing at the screen but then I read that it allows people to bring and use their own airsoft guns. You'd have to be insane to put that in a bar with people drinking.... It will be great for the eye patch business though.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 02:47:53 pm »
That might be the end of D&B as they might get sued out of business.  They'd have to make people sign a waver or something...… well unless it's Texas or Florida.  ;)

All of that said it's an interesting solution to the lcd light gun problem... just use a touch screen and fire actual ammo.  As you said, reloading would be the problem. 

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 08:20:26 pm »
I heard Texas is getting a version that uses real firearms and a special child-friendly version that uses 9mm rounds instead the .45cal slugs used in the adult one.... Their version does have the "airsoft-proof screen" either. They'll be shooting at real death-row inmates. Everything's bigger in Texas!

From what I read, their plan to protect themself legally is telling arcade owners to make it for 18 and older and to enforce it with special pay cards that are only sold to adults. That and a "use at your own risk" warning.

I guess this sort of thing is not unprecedented. There used to be a popular carnival attraction where people paid to use a full auto bb gun run on compressed air.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 04:13:52 pm »
More info here on it's Western release, it's safety features and how it auto reloads itself.

It basically won't fire if not pointed at the screen and it reloads using compressed air via the hose.