Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Megatouch Force Radeon ghost touch problems  (Read 4314 times)

Fordman9870

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2019, 11:28:49 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Megatouch Force Radeon ghost touch problems
« on: December 17, 2019, 12:16:30 pm »
I just replaced the Monitor and when i put the machine back together I have a ghost touch issue. This goes away when i pull the front of the cab back a little.
I have tried bending the top front tabs back a little to get the touch screen away from the CRT, which seems to work a little but still have the issue when bolted back together.
I have scotch mounting tape in between the cab and touch screen overlay to hold it in place. it seems like there is about 1/4 inch or more space in between CRT and touch overlay. Does anyone know how to remedy this issue? I'm getting frustrated haha.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have gained a lot of knowledge from lurking but couldn't find anything search for this issue.
Thanks

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:11:25 pm
Re: Megatouch Force Radeon ghost touch problems
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 03:03:39 pm »
Could be a ground issue. Did you make sure the green wire comming out of the overlay cable is grounded?

Fordman9870

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 03:46:39 pm »
Thanks for replying...ground is good, i put a piece of foam in between the CRT and overlay and it seems to be OK for now. I wonder how the guys in the field did it when they were sent out to work on them. This little issue took me hours to fix and its really only a band aid.
If anyone has any other ideas please post, Thanks

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 04:42:48 pm »
Well, i can't speak for operators in the field, but there should be non conductive single sided foam tape inbetween the front bezel and the overlay. I have seen this foam tape get filled with all kinds of nasty stuff even seen metal shavings in the foam. My guess though #1 grounding issue somewhere.#2 lose overlay wire. #3 you have something putting pressure on the overlay.

Fordman9870

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 06:49:18 pm »
MahkeyMike,

I think your on to something, I checked and installed new scotch tape and used some foam in between the overlay and CRT.
it works great but, when i go to put on the left side of the cabinet. when the cabinet touches the touch screen wire a ghost button is press. i checked the green overlay ground wire, it is tight. so i wiggled the wire for a few seconds and it ghosted again (it ghosts a lot quicker when i try to shut the side cabinet. is the overlay going bad?

Also Is the overlay wire suppose to stay on the outside of the monitor frame and only duck inside near the controller box thats mounted inside?
Thanks

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 06:34:21 am »
Yes the wires run along either the top or the edges of the overlay. There should be 5 wires soldered on all 4 corners of the overlay and all run to one corner. In my experience its usually the solder joint right where all the wires meet since that is the wire and joint that gets moved around the most when removing/replacing a monitor/overlay.

Fordman9870

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 10:58:02 am »
IS this the norm wire position for running the wire back to the controller box?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:14:24 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 11:05:27 am »
if it is, i typically reroute it... not.... through the high voltage cage of ghost touches. it's pretty sensitive to static and stuff so i tend to keep it away from HV and the AC power cables.

Fordman9870

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 11:30:05 am »
What would be best way to reroute? this cable is an all in one to a controller box and can be unplugged. i can post more pics if necessary

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:14:24 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 12:41:11 pm »
What would be best way to reroute? this cable is an all in one to a controller box and can be unplugged. i can post more pics if necessary

i would just pull all the cables out of inside the monitor area and just lay it outside coiled in the top part and tuck it under the side cover. there is a tiny bit of room, but not much on that side.

Spank

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:59:13 pm
  • I like to help out.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 07:18:28 am »

Looking at the photo, you have the wrong touchscreen installed. It should be a flush mount. That most likely is your problem.

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 11:03:03 am »

Looking at the photo, you have the wrong touchscreen installed. It should be a flush mount. That most likely is your problem.

Spank

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:59:13 pm
  • I like to help out.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 04:22:45 pm »
The touchscreen is like a 1/2 inch away from the tube in the middle. It has the wrong curvature on the glass. there is no way that is going to fit in the game properly. It is the wrong glass for that tube. It is for a tube with more of a curve.

Fordman9870

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 11:28:49 am »
Actually it is the correct screen, That was just my Newbie attempt to get screen away from CRT as i though the CRT was touching the Screen, thereby making the a ghost touch problem occur. When i pulled the screen away 1/4 to 1/2 inch ghost touch was gone. So i put on some mounting tape in between them it worked better but not completely, so i wedged a small piece of foam and that seemed to do trick until i shut the right side panel, then ghost touch was back. so my next step is to reroute the cable like it was suggested and wrap the wire with insulated tape and report back, took a break from it but need to finish it soon as I am also working on a home made retro arcade cabinet. haha too many projects the wife is telling me. Must be my A.D.D :)