Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need help from CRT repair boys. Polar T3000 Curve Tracer  (Read 1907 times)

aqibi2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2019, 09:08:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Need help from CRT repair boys. Polar T3000 Curve Tracer
« on: December 13, 2019, 08:51:08 am »
Hi

I’m after some help to improve the brightness of my Polar Instruments T3000 (same as T2500/T4000/T6000)

The trace is very dim and I’m thinking I need to either increase the heater voltage or (hope not) rejuvenate the tube.

Can anyone help, no schematics on this unfortunately.

Photos attached
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 09:08:20 am by aqibi2000 »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: Need help from CRT repair boys. Polar T3000 Curve Tracer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 05:41:48 pm »
(hope not) rejuvenate the tube.
Why do you hope not, to rejuvenate the tube?  I've just rejuv'd the tube in my Donkey Kong Jr., and was successful and now displays fantastically bright.

If rejuvenation scares you, there's also a clean and balance option that most rejuvenators have, and is low impact and won't affect the life of your tube. You could try.

But, first thing is to probably do the standard check for cold solder joints, especially around connection headers and the neck board. Then perhaps new electrolytic capacitors could be a good stab at getting your brightness up.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 10:28:05 am »
How about a picture of what this thing looks like fully assembled from the outside? As a person would use it.

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 04:52:10 pm »
That is not entry level repair, and will most likely require calibration after any work... The monitor (guessing) would not have seen enough on time to require rejuvenation, and a brightener (more heater voltage) will shorten the life of the tube substantially with little if any short term benifits...Opt2 has sound advice with the caps however, Jenn would start there, with a quality  tester, even with new replacements.