Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Minimum screen size to enjoy older light gun games  (Read 2107 times)

fjser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 01:42:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Minimum screen size to enjoy older light gun games
« on: December 12, 2019, 01:55:09 pm »
I recently purchased an asteroids arcade1upcab for 50$ on clearance (couldn't pass up the change to explore one for that cheap). I already have a large 4 player pedestal cabinet that I use for my standard gaming, but I often find the large 47 inch screen to be a bit much for older light gun games.  I am considering converting this asteroids cab into a dedicated light gun cabinet.  Either with a raspberry pi, or a laptop.  Obviously those options will restrict me from playing newer titles (teknoparrot, HOD3, etc.) but my bigger concern is whether a 17 inch monitor is good enough for older light gun games. I do see that some people have upgraded to 19 inch monitor with these, but if i can avoid that it would be good (but I am not against it).  So, few questions:

1) Has anyone done this? (convert 1uparcade cab to mame/model 2 lighgun)?
2) Thoughts on 17 inch monitor for light gun games? Im thinking older mame games like point blank, t2, lethan enforcers, etc. with some NES/SNES games as well. Any ability to play Time Crisis games (PSX or Arcade) would be considered a huge bonus for me, but not a must have.
3) Suggestions on raspberry pi vs 4 or 5 year old laptop with older on board video?
4) I see that the buttons on a arcade1up can be switched to an encode relatively easily from the on board encoder, and that joysticks have ti be replaced as they are not compatible, but does anyone know if the dial (spinner) on the asterorids cab can be made to work with a PC/Pi?  I figure since the light gun is the most important, i could use the dial to select games in the front end along with the buttons rather than setting up a new control panel

As always thanks for any input!

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
Re: Minimum screen size to enjoy older light gun games
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 09:26:16 pm »
I'd say no smaller than a 25" 4:3 screen. I have 19", 25" and 27" crt arcade monitors and the 19" is far too small to be fun for shooting games. 27" 4:3 is ideal for real light guns.

Obviously, real light guns only work on a CRT so, if you're using an LCD, I am assuming you are using an Aimtrak or similar?  They require you to stand quite far back from the screen to work properly and that minimum distance is the same for a 17" screen as it would be for a 50". I'd say there is zero chance of having an enjoyable experience with an Aimtrak on a 17" monitor or a 19". You need to stand 8-10 feet from the screen for optimal performance.

Imo, you should use the biggest screen you can get your hands on.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 03:34:31 am »
I disagree with Zebra here.

19” is fine IMO, Sure bigger is better no denying that but 19” is a good size to play on.
For 2 player I would try and go at-least 21” but you can still play on a 19” its just small heh.

Also the distance you have to stand with AT’s is relative to the screen size.

The bigger the TV the further back you need to be. The distance is required for the guns sensor to see the sensor bar at the top of the screen when you are aiming at the bottom of the screen.

But with a 17” screen I am not sure how far back that would be, I would guess around 3-4 feet?

If you have the patience for this project I would maybe wait a while and wait for the Sinden to be released that should allow you to stand much closer on a screen of that size  but I cant give you any solid numbers on that atm.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 01:25:04 pm »
You do have to stand further back for larger screens but the minimum distance for Aimtraks, Wii remotes and Guncon 3's needed to track properly is the same regardless of your screen size. They don't start working well at 3-4 feet because you use a 17" or 19".

If you already have the guns and monitors, try it out to see for yourself. There is obviously a degree of personal preference involved with this question. Your opinion is the only one that matters. My view is that there is a reason why arcade rail-shooter cabs don't use 19" monitors. They suck for shooting and driving games.