Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Scratch slim build 32" Mame Marvel theme  (Read 7829 times)

mrl72

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2020, 04:26:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Scratch slim build 32" Mame Marvel theme
« on: December 06, 2019, 08:42:39 am »
Hey all

Been lurking around for a few months and reading through all the build posts here and now I'm ready to build my own cab, which the wife finally approved :) I'm going with a Marvel theme since we're all fanboys/girls in my house, that and I couldn't settle on a personal theme or name that ended in "Cade" so I thought I'd just keep it simple and go with the Marvel theme. Things may change by the time I get around to printing the artwork.

The design I'm going with is a two-player slim hybrid based off others I've seen here. It will house a 32" 1080P TCL TV which I've recently acquired and a PC that I've already built from the ground up that will play Mame and Steam Fighting games. From a construction standpoint, I'm not incredibly talented as woodworking is concerned but I do have a couple of friends who are helping and have more experience in that area. Where I excel is in the tech part, so I'm going to have fun setting up LED lighting and the controls and stuff like that. Thankfully I've got access to all the tools for free and I'm even getting the artwork printed by a friend for just a case of beer, so this will be a relatively cheap build. Oh, I'm also planning on completing it by Xmas eve :) Pretty sure I'll have lots of questions!

Here's the Sketchup design so far:

Artwork:

Cab:

3/4" MDF
Control Panel - 1/2" MDF with 1/4" Plexi
Plexi for screen + marquee

Electronics:

32" 1080P TCL TV
PC with Mame with BigBox front end
RPi3 for cab LED lighting control
2 x IL EuroSticks (Black)
1 x Zippy 4-way stick (for dedicated 4-way gameplay)
18  x Happ buttons (6 player, 2 4-way, 4 P1/P2/Coin/Coin)
2 x LED buttons (Admin)
1 x LED Power Push Button
2 x Beer holders (mandatory)

Will post more images as some of the above comes in. I ordered it all on Cyber Monday so got a pretty decent deal :)

I'll be starting the build a week tomorrow so have a few more days to get all my ducks in a row and finalize the plans.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:04:51 am by mrl72 »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Scratch slim build 32" Mame Marvel theme
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 09:16:19 am »
Take the advertising logos off of the artwork. It will look better. It is an arcade cab, not a NASCAR.

The cup holders are a bad idea. Just place a stand near the cab for drinks. Somebody will spill a beer all over that CP when they miss the cup holder.

I generally like arcade themed artwork, but this is much better than a jumbled collage that many people default to.

You could shorten up that 14 inches a bit to make the cab proportions look a little better.

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 09:36:14 am »
Take the advertising logos off of the artwork. It will look better. It is an arcade cab, not a NASCAR.

The cup holders are a bad idea. Just place a stand near the cab for drinks. Somebody will spill a beer all over that CP when they miss the cup holder.

I generally like arcade themed artwork, but this is much better than a jumbled collage that many people default to.

You could shorten up that 14 inches a bit to make the cab proportions look a little better.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I was worried about the cup holders and spills getting into the electronics. I've seen holders on the sides but thought they looked ugly. Wife didn't want a table next to it to put the beers on, hence why I built them in. Also that increased the CP size. I'll go back to the drawing board on that.. :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 09:40:01 am »
That is a good idea. I use TV trays in my arcade room. They fold up and can be stored just about anywhere.

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 10:24:19 am »
Updated design and artwork based on Mike's suggestions.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 10:54:38 am »
Much better!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

mrl72

• Offline Offline

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 01:42:40 pm »
First Fedex delivery. Two Eurosticks and two Zero Delay boards. Starting to feel like Xmas already :)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 03:12:44 pm »
Mike read my mind.  The new design looks much better.

Although... about the artwork... I like the theme because Marvel stuff is cool and even arcade related but it seems like it should be a little more colorful.  I would not use movie art when there are so many cool comic designs out there.  Maybe it's just me.  I do like it but I think you can do better.

The side profile looks really nice.

Christmas Eve is super ambitious (*insert joke here how it take me forever to do anything*) and I'm definitely going to follow this thread.  Good luck!

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 04:05:47 pm »
Mike read my mind.  The new design looks much better.

Although... about the artwork... I like the theme because Marvel stuff is cool and even arcade related but it seems like it should be a little more colorful.  I would not use movie art when there are so many cool comic designs out there.  Maybe it's just me.  I do like it but I think you can do better.

The side profile looks really nice.

Christmas Eve is super ambitious (*insert joke here how it take me forever to do anything*) and I'm definitely going to follow this thread.  Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, I went back and forth on the design and whether to use the original colored images or more monochrome so we had a family vote and everyone liked the monochrome version. I think the more colors the busier it looks and I was trying to find a balance that looked cool while not too overpowering. This will be going in my main living room where it's got very minimal decor (aside from a big pool table in the middle). I'm still playing around with it though and will likely be tweaking until the last moment. I also did look at a lot of comic art but when you start narrowing it down to high res images it wasn't leaving a lot to choose from.

Here's how the sides look in color. I'm of course open to opinions if you think it's better. I'm also trying to get the model and images into a 3D modeling program but it's a bit of a learning curve for me. I'm hoping that a nice 3d render will help me finalize the design.

I'm basically on vacation for 2 weeks and was going to work on it every day, but agreed Xmas eve is a little ambitious lol.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 12:00:54 pm by mrl72 »

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 09:47:00 am »
Trying to dial in the cab dimensions. While I was trying to get the Sketchup plan into more of a 3D model it struck me how big the marquee was and it looked a little odd to me. I'm wondering if a smaller (shorter) marquee would better?

5 1/2" Marquee:

How it currently looks in 3D at 8 1/2":

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 09:58:22 am »
That is one of the problems with a slim design. All of the other elements look out of scale.

You will just have to size the marquee for what looks right to you.

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 05:42:59 pm »
I haven't locked in my control panel yet, so far my options are:

1/2" MDF with 1/4" Plexi.
5/8" MDF with 1/8" Plexi.
3/4" MDF with Polycarbonate Laminate graphics.

Looks like my guy can print polycarbonate so that looks like the easiest option but I do like the look of the plexi though. Any opinions on this?

Final design and a rough stab at planning out the pieces for each cut. Did I miss anything? (note decided to go with 3/4" MDF for the CP and use Polycarbinate)

I've got a ton of packages arriving tomorrow, will post pics. I'm picking up the wood and hardware on Friday and through then I'll be prepping the workspace and making sure I have all the tools ready, not to mention reading back through all the build posts here as research. If all goes to plan, I'll be cutting the sides on Saturday morning! I can't wait!!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 04:28:28 pm by mrl72 »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 09:48:11 am »
I prefer durable polycarbonite over plexiglas.  I think art looks better without it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 10:08:33 am »
Plexi looks like ass. The bad kind.

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 10:09:53 am »
Ok, no Plexi then lol. Makes my job easier and I'd probably screw it up anyway.

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 02:02:08 pm »
First delivery of the day:

Mini speaker amp.
Speaker grills.
2 channel relay
Power button.

The 2 channel relay will be connected to a Pi3 which will turn on the TV and cabinet LED lights when the power button is pressed. The Rpi3 will then send a WOL signal to the PC to wake it up. At least that's the plan :)

Second delivery from GGG:

A whole bunch of buttons and microswitches.
40ft t-molding in deep space blue.
Zippy joystick.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 05:22:38 pm by mrl72 »

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 06:26:00 pm »
Decals arrived (pretty fast too) thanks to SlammedNiss. Needless to say, I screwed up the Exit button so I had to use Menu instead (after locating the wife's tweezers).

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 12:24:06 am »
why do all this?

The 2 channel relay will be connected to a Pi3 which will turn on the TV and cabinet LED lights when the power button is pressed. The Rpi3 will then send a WOL signal to the PC to wake it up. At least that's the plan

when you could just buy this?

run your power switch to the motherboard power pins, plug the pc into the master control, and the rest of the peripherals (monitor and a psu(for your leds) into the controlled outlets.

click the power button, and everything turns at same time, shut down pc everything turns off.

I also echo, no plexi, that the old way of protecting graphics, poly carb is the way to go, lasts longer and looks better.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 12:30:15 am by rablack97 »

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 12:32:37 am »
why do all this?

The 2 channel relay will be connected to a Pi3 which will turn on the TV and cabinet LED lights when the power button is pressed. The Rpi3 will then send a WOL signal to the PC to wake it up. At least that's the plan

when you could just buy this?

run your power switch to the motherboard power pins, plug the pc into the master control, and the rest of the peripherals (monitor and a psu(for your leds) into the controlled outlets.

click the power button, and everything turns at same time, shut down pc everything turns off.

I also echo, no plexi, that the old way of protecting graphics, poly carb is the way to go, lasts longer and looks better.

You must have been reading my mind as I was just looking at another thread talking about these smart strips. I didn’t even know they existed! I was only going to use the Pi as I previously had it hooked up to some LED strips so had it ready to go.

Question: Does the strip work the same way if the PC is put into standby mode instead of powered down completely? Would be nice to have it start faster from standby mode.

Cheers.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 12:39:44 am »
No, the smart strip looks for a 0 power state from the PC.

If you build your PC right, using a ssd drive, then your boot times will be fast regardles.

Also, your gonna need an arcade PSU.

This will give you 5v and 12v for your cab, the power button you bought will need 12v for the led portion, and your marquee.  Not sure what your chromalux buttons will need.

Also IMHO that 4 way stick is overkill those eurostiks play well on their own, unless your a purist ms pacman world champion, it's really an extra stick and 2 extra buttons you dont need on your panel.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 12:43:16 am by rablack97 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 12:53:14 am »
Also you need to make sure yout TCL television remembers its current state with power loss.

So when the smart strip turns it off, it needs to remain in the on state, so when the smart strip returns power to it, it turns on.  Some TV's dont have that function, once the power is lost, you have to actually hit the power button again to turn it on.

If thats the case you'll have to look at an IR repeater setup explanation in the forum somewhere.

tomton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:38:30 am
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 06:48:39 am »
I like your design  :)
Don't know how far into your build you are but I would reconsider the angle of CP as it is quite steep, you will quickly get wrist strain from constantly tilting your hands up.

Not sure you need dedicated power supply for 5V/12V as you can just pull those from your PC. Just use molex connector (yellow for 12V and red for 5V). I did this for 5V LEDs and 12V amplifier.

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2019, 07:52:55 am »
Some great points, thank folks!

I can confirm the TV does not return to power on state once plugged back in. No biggie and I suspected that may happen so I have an old IR blaster/repeater dongle in case.

The only extra power supply I have right now is this one which I use to power a long length of LED strips. I had this lying around so was going to repurpose it for this job:

I am thinking of replacing that 12v LED push button with an arcade button. I played around with it last night and it's just too darn small.

Pretty sure I got the CP angle from one of the posts here and it's currently at 10deg. I'm guessing it should be more like 5deg? (I looked at Flynn's model as a reference and looks like his is at 5deg). I'll probably do the same then.

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:26:06 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2019, 08:38:56 am »

If you build your PC right, using a ssd drive, then your boot times will be fast regardles.

This is not 100% true, I think it depends on the smartstrip.  Mine had a threshold adjustment for the "control" port.  I could single-tap my old cabinet and have the whole thing go down if the PC went into sleep.  I am 87% sure about this.

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2019, 08:40:01 am »

This is not 100% true, I think it depends on the smartstrip.  Mine had a threshold adjustment for the "control" port.  I could single-tap my old cabinet and have the whole thing go down if the PC went into sleep.  I am 87% sure about this.

I like those odds :)

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2019, 10:13:57 am »
Fixed the CP angle which is now at 5deg.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2019, 11:35:37 am »

Nipsmg is correct is does depend on the power strip some do have the tolerance control, i personally have had issues with those, so i choose the one without that control.  Sometimes you can turn the knob too far and ruin the entire power strip, or your cab will turn on by itself or not turn off when you want it to.  Also based on your mobo, if it has an integrated power save function, your pc may not activate the smart strip properly as the voltage wont drop enough to activate the smartstrip, no matter where you set the control.

The psu will work fine, i've always used the dual PSU's in case i need 5v and 12v leds running into the cab

Is the button you bought 9mm if so, i use these all the time and they work great, but only are really needed if you can see the button, if you placing it where no one can see it, a regular arcade button will do just fine.

Or if you want to get fancy, a remote key fob would work as well.

You can pull voltages from your PC, but I've always made it a rule not run peripherals from my PC PSU.  Those PSU's are so cheap its better to run dedicated voltages rather that pulling unnecessary voltages from the PC PSU, keep in mind your gonna need power for your amp as well, and for and fans.

Are you using 5v led strips for your marquee?

https://www.amazon.com/Bits-LCG-3MVR-Advanced-10-Outlets-Protector/dp/B00412ZQP2/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?gclid=CjwKCAiAob3vBRAUEiwAIbs5TpX8FGQUZqP_PPQ26ke8CE6Py-fIi24RvpwJT-tLuWw3rvGoFx8a1xoCXk4QAvD_BwE&hvadid=256492520089&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9026833&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12154312966160920529&hvtargid=aud-840076997981%3Akwd-434848159620&hydadcr=25939_9540025&keywords=smart+strip+power+strips&pd_rd_i=B00412ZQP2&pd_rd_r=0f1de944-bc8a-4a3a-943b-690988835089&pd_rd_w=2gr8W&pd_rd_wg=YWwS6&pf_rd_p=a6d018ad-f20b-46c9-8920-433972c7d9b7&pf_rd_r=T3HA2NVC43EN1J84FB1X&qid=1575994884

I think this one has the adjustment knob.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:40:06 am by rablack97 »

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2019, 11:53:04 am »

Nipsmg is correct is does depend on the power strip some do have the tolerance control, i personally have had issues with those, so i choose the one without that control.  Sometimes you can turn the knob too far and ruin the entire power strip, or your cab will turn on by itself or not turn off when you want it to.  Also based on your mobo, if it has an integrated power save function, your pc may not activate the smart strip properly as the voltage wont drop enough to activate the smartstrip, no matter where you set the control.

The psu will work fine, i've always used the dual PSU's in case i need 5v and 12v leds running into the cab

Is the button you bought 9mm if so, i use these all the time and they work great, but only are really needed if you can see the button, if you placing it where no one can see it, a regular arcade button will do just fine.

Or if you want to get fancy, a remote key fob would work as well.

You can pull voltages from your PC, but I've always made it a rule not run peripherals from my PC PSU.  Those PSU's are so cheap its better to run dedicated voltages rather that pulling unnecessary voltages from the PC PSU, keep in mind your gonna need power for your amp as well, and for and fans.

Are you using 5v led strips for your marquee?

Yeah, the LED strips are 5v. I used to use them as accent backlighting on my 65" TV. The Rpi3 controlled them with the power coming from that 5v power supply.

That push-button is 9mm, correct. It's tiny though. I was gonna put it center-top of the CP but re-thinking it. What I really wanted to do was have some fun with the power-on process, hence why I was using the Pi and relay. I wrote a Python script that is called when the player presses the power button. That plays a fun audio sequence using Jarvis from the Marvel movies. It's a short audio clip that runs in parallel as the PC boots up and things turn on. Also, the Pi controls the LEDs on the back of the cabinet and the marquee, going through a cool sequence as the PC boots. Overkill? Sure! But I thought it would be kinda neat. I actually have it all working so I may take a quick video of it in action so you can see what I mean.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:54:42 am by mrl72 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2019, 11:57:19 am »
Ok you didn't tell us that was your use for the PI, your adding bling to the cab with it.

Nothing is overkill sir, innovation is never overkill :applaud: :applaud:

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 12:00:10 pm by rablack97 »

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2019, 11:00:48 pm »
So in regards to powering the arcade, there are clearly some good options listed above but originally I wanted to do something cool whenever it is powered on. Unfortunately, the boot times of both PC and BigBox FE are a little to be desired (BB itself takes 20-30 seconds to load!) and likely be a frustrating experience for anyone wanting a quick game. However I wanted to show what I had in mind so this is a quick video testing out using a RPi to start up the PC and launch BigBox. I may reserve this for a cold boot (ie from complete PC power off) and for most other times the PC will likely be in a sleep state with BB already running, so all it has to do is wake and turn on the TV. The beauty of this method is the RPi is always on and doesn't suck up much power, so you can play music, control lights etc. while the PC boots in the background. Keep in mind this is just a test using my work monitors on my (very cluttered) desk and ignore the desktop icons as they would normally be hidden.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:50:28 am by mrl72 »

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2019, 09:55:21 pm »
On the CP - I mocked one up in particle board, tried two different layouts and set it at the height and angle from my design on the bench (with monitor ) and used it that way for a few days on/off..  It helped me decide on what I liked. 
FWIW:  mine is 5 deg and feels comfortable to use for long periods of time.
Looks nice.
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2019, 07:12:35 pm »
On the CP - I mocked one up in particle board, tried two different layouts and set it at the height and angle from my design on the bench (with monitor ) and used it that way for a few days on/off..  It helped me decide on what I liked. 
FWIW:  mine is 5 deg and feels comfortable to use for long periods of time.
Looks nice.

I’ve seen a few people do that. Likely I’ll do the same when I get to the CP stage.

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2019, 11:11:22 am »
It has begun! Got all the pieces cut this morning, now drawing out the side. Aiming to get these cut out and sanded by this evening so tomorrow I can start assembly.

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2019, 10:23:19 am »
So my wife dragged me car shopping since Sunday so I didn't get much done. I did get the sides cut, although I changed the design quite a bit from my original plan as I didn't like it!

I got one side routed fine.

But I started on the second side and after I did the back fine when I moved to the front I'm now getting this. Anyone know what is causing this? I'm holding off doing anything more until I can find an answer.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2019, 10:30:22 am »
Are you keeping the router flat?

mrl72

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2019, 10:36:43 am »
Are you keeping the router flat?

Yeah. First side was perfect and I was just using it the same way on the 2nd side. I think it must be this bit as I noticed on the 2nd side it wasn't gliding as smooth. Cheap bit perhaps? Looks warped to me.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2019, 10:40:09 am »
Those cheap bits made out of Chinesium are not only garbage, they are dangerous.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2019, 10:45:18 am »
What is the outer diameter of the cutter? You need to slow down your router RPMs with larger diameter bits. It is especially important with low quality bits.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2019, 10:53:35 am »
Router Bit Speeds
Bit Diameter            Maximum Speed
Up to 1 inch            24,000 rpm
1 to 2 inches            18,000 rpm
2 to 2-1/2 inches    16,000 rpm
2-1/2 to 3-1/2 inches    12,000 rpm

This is a good general guide.

Speeds over 100 mph are hazardous.

A 3 inch bit at 10,000 rpm has an outside velocity of 90 mph. The same bit at 24,000 rpm is traveling at 223mph. Get ready for some shrapnel.

Most people just buy a router and never touch the speed control.