Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newbie looking for joystick advice/help  (Read 1170 times)

Carpjd76

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 09:06:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Newbie looking for joystick advice/help
« on: December 02, 2019, 02:06:49 pm »
Hey all, have a new Multicade that was built for me.  Having lot of joystick control issues with many games as it’s very hard to control while playing PAC-Man, Zelda, etc.  is this because 8way vs 4way?  Also, finding that many games have Player 1 being controlled by the Player 2 joystick.  Tried switching the joystick USB’s, but doesn’t seem to help.  Any ideas?  Running Retropie if that makes a difference.  Thanks in advance

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:53:10 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Newbie looking for joystick advice/help
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 03:21:46 pm »
Have you asked the guy who built it for you? He should have detailed information regarding its construction. :dunno

Carpjd76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 09:06:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 04:00:57 pm »
I did ask him...he didn’t know, but was going to look into it.  Was just hoping someone may have experienced something similar

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 04:33:54 pm »
What encoder are you using do you know?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:53:10 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 10:08:07 pm »
If it doesn't play right just return it. It is defective.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 10:43:50 am »
It's been my experience that cheap and crappy joysticks sometimes have issues with diagonal movement. I notice it on one on one fighters as it makes it hard to jump forward. In that scenario I check the stick's contact with the micro switches and, if necessary, I replace the microswitches with decent ones.

There's not a lot more to a joystick than stick contact and working micro switches. If that's not the issue, you may just need time to get used to the joystick. People who are used to playing with joypads might find certain games harder with a stick.

The Pac Man arcade uses a 4 way joystick and it is slightly easier to play with the right kind of stick. But, I have no issues playing it with my regular 8 way fight stick. It's always a hard game though. Maybe you just need practice.

Try playing Street Fighter 2. If you can play that without issues, your joystick works.

pumaconcolor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2020, 07:06:27 am
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 07:00:49 pm »
There are a lot of 8-way sticks that don't play well with Pac-Man and other 4-way games, which is why you'll see a lot of solutions to this, including the over-engineered Servostik.  People are obsessed with having one joystick to rule them all.