Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Interested in making my own cabinet  (Read 11510 times)

yrrkoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2023, 11:46:51 am
  • I like to build things
    • arcadecabinetproject.blogspot.com/
Interested in making my own cabinet
« on: November 23, 2019, 09:36:05 pm »
Hi All,

It seems I've caught the bug that is wanting to make your own home arcade upright. I'm worried there isn't a cure for this either. Uhg.. I'm worried. I've been browsing forum threads and it's only getting worse. I need help :(.

Thankfully i'm fairly handy both in wood working, electronics, and systems administration. Seems up my alley but it's certainly nothing I've ever done. So i'm in research mode.

Lets say for argument's sake, that I want to duplicate this.. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146068.0/all.html. It's beautiful! I'm wondering how I even get started making a cabinet like this (thinking 40" screen..?)? It seems unnecessary to re-invent the wheel..

are there plans or dimensions on doing a cabinet like this that i can just run with?
what about the control panel (4 person aircraft carrier just like this one)? I notice people referencing other's work. is it just a matter of following such threads until finding one where someone shared dimensions or reaching out to said people?
how does the control panel even attach to the cabinet?

ultimately i'm just hoping some generous folks can point me in the right direction on getting a cabinet going and hoping i don't have to guess my way to some dimensions (or tell me thats exactly what i need to do).

Thanks!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: Interested in making my own cabinet
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 04:29:06 am »
Buying a old cab is the way I started, it was all gutted, and sorry, However Jennifer found the construction fascinating and ultimately duplicated it after careful dissection...Saints book also a excellent source of jumping off points...Cad CNC plans are also quite awesome nowadays, look up the game you want and print it off at your local print shop on vinyl, but 80% accuracy is very common so you may want to have the marquee and control panel before you commit to the cab for minor adjustments...(that panel just clamps down with 2 latches)...Lots of good folks around here, welcome home!

Deek069

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2021, 09:39:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 03:34:17 am »
My advice would be to just go for it, and enjoy the process.

I built my first cabinet earlier this year, starting with little to no wood working experience or skills.

I made mistakes and if I built another I could definitely do better, but I had a blast building it and love my arcade cabinet.

I am now in the last stages of building a virtual pinball table - and enjoying that even more!!

bdn103

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:29:59 pm
    • Classic Arcade Cabinets - FREE arcade cabinet build plans, printable PDFs and CNC plans
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 07:07:19 am »
Buying a old cab is the way I started, it was all gutted, and sorry, However Jennifer found the construction fascinating and ultimately duplicated it after careful dissection...Saints book also a excellent source of jumping off points...Cad CNC plans are also quite awesome nowadays, look up the game you want and print it off at your local print shop on vinyl, but 80% accuracy is very common so you may want to have the marquee and control panel before you commit to the cab for minor adjustments...(that panel just clamps down with 2 latches)...Lots of good folks around here, welcome home!
Just wanted to add a quick comment about the 80% scores for the CNC plans and I assume you are referring to classicarcadecabinets.com. In general, I only post plans that I trace myself or I believe to be accurate (provided by others) . Any plans that have not been used to scratch build a cabinet are scored in th 80s. Once the cabinet plans are confirmed, the score is bumped into the 90s. The higher the scores are in the 80s and the 90s, the greater the detail in the plans.  The only plans that can have a 100% score would have to be from the original engineering drawings. More details about the scoring can be found here..

https://www.classicarcadecabinets.com/faq.html

Thanks
Brian

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 10:40:38 am »
I am not saying 80 is bad, just something to be aware of if going that route, In fact I am even a bit surprised at that, and 90? Pretty much good to go... the tracking on a decent plot cutter, or a slight variation between scans, could be thought to be culprit one might assume, but still very usable as plans...If that's you  b/103 donating to that project, let Jenni take a moment to just say Thanks. 8)

bdn103

• Offline Offline
    • Classic Arcade Cabinets - FREE arcade cabinet build plans, printable PDFs and CNC plans
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 12:26:00 pm »
I am not saying 80 is bad, just something to be aware of if going that route, In fact I am even a bit surprised at that, and 90? Pretty much good to go... the tracking on a decent plot cutter, or a slight variation between scans, could be thought to be culprit one might assume, but still very usable as plans...If that's you  b/103 donating to that project, let Jenni take a moment to just say Thanks. 8)

It is entirely possible that a set of plans ranked in the 80s may be perfect and justify a high 90s score. Personally, I have cut cabinets I have scored in the 80s blindly without doing additional verifications. The concern is someone sending the plans off to a CNC shop to have the wood cut. I try and provide printable plans that can be used as templates for everyone doing this by hand. The proof is really in the cutting and assembly. Most of the mistakes are not with the tracing, but are more with the placement of blocking for internal parts, drill holes, or a panel with dados. I find that I occasionally do mental math while measuring the non-side panels and this is where my mistakes occur.  Recently, I cut a Dragon's Lair cabinet. Everything went together nearly perfectly, but the speaker mounting holes were off about 1/8" from each other when I tried to mount the aftermarket plexi. Is it the plans, is it the plexi, is it both (probably the plans)??? I have traced some cabinets that have a .5" variation between cabinets, so original quality control was not always that tight. Variation seems to be much higher when multiple runs of cabinets were made (Nintendo, Konami TMNT style, etc...), especially in different countries. Atari did this a lot with their US vs. Ireland builds of cabinets.

Overall, the plans are scored harshly. I would much rather under promise and over deliver.

I wanted to thank everyone who has helped with the site. Anyone who can provide feedback after using a set of plans or provide any pictures from their builds.... it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

yrrkoon

• Offline Offline
  • I like to build things
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 01:55:19 pm »
Thanks All. It's interesting that there are all these great plans for classic cabinets. I'd imagine that's super useful if you're trying to replicate an original came. But in my case where i'm just looking for a great 4 player design (for many games) similar to that ready player one cabinet, where to go for plans? Fro example maybe i'm missing something but poking around that site there isn't a way to search for something like a 4 player cabinet for 40" screen with trackball.

In the meantime i've been reading through saint's book. It's fun reading and reaffirms what i think i'm getting myself into. I don't have any problems with woodwork really. I own a variety of tools and have done various projects at home (e.g. doing all the interior trim on my house). Anyways, going to keep reading :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 02:57:07 pm »
That Ready Player One cab is a bad design.

Just build this.

https://www.classicarcadecabinets.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-4-player.html

It is simple and classic. You can throw an LCD in if you want, but you could also fit a CRT.

yrrkoon

• Offline Offline
  • I like to build things
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 03:02:15 pm »
while i'm thinking about it, what does a place charge to CNC cut from plans on average? I'm in the bay area so likely on the more expensive range of prices i'd guess. But i'm wondering what i'd save doing my own cuts vs going that route.

bdn103

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 03:35:34 pm »
while i'm thinking about it, what does a place charge to CNC cut from plans on average? I'm in the bay area so likely on the more expensive range of prices i'd guess. But i'm wondering what i'd save doing my own cuts vs going that route.
I am not a machine shop, but I charge based on the number of sheets of material and what it is cut from (melamine eats CNC bits) . Typically $30-40 per sheet. For reference, this fall I had some free time and I cut 2 Food Fight cabinets with Black Melamine, plywood structure, and a layout template for $500. It was 8 total sheets of material.

I don't have time to do much regular cutting.

Brian

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 03:40:06 pm »
It is a wooden box with a TV shoved in it. There is no need for a CNC machine.

A CNC machine is designed for super precision work and for making a bazillion units of something.

If you have tools then find a design you like and let's do this.

yrrkoon

• Offline Offline
  • I like to build things
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2019, 03:55:36 pm »
That Ready Player One cab is a bad design.

Just build this.

https://www.classicarcadecabinets.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-4-player.html

It is simple and classic. You can throw an LCD in if you want, but you could also fit a CRT.

Whats bad about it? Looks quite beautiful to my novice eye

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 04:04:45 pm »
It is too freakin wide. And then on top of that, the CP still extends too far past the cab.

The CP has unnecessary cuts and corners.

It is a bunch of fluff.  Its like a 6 year old designed it.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 01:54:47 pm »
I'm in the Bay Area

Where in the Bay are you?

yrrkoon

• Offline Offline
  • I like to build things
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2019, 12:56:27 pm »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 01:00:30 pm »
Where in the Bay are you?

Los Gatos

Nice, I’m not too far, near Walnut Creek, making my first cab.  Learned a lot and happy to pass along any help.  My thread is under Project Announcements.

yrrkoon

• Offline Offline
  • I like to build things
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 12:51:52 pm »
Nice, I’m not too far, near Walnut Creek, making my first cab.  Learned a lot and happy to pass along any help.  My thread is under Project Announcements.
Just found it. "The Grid" eh? I love the ambitiousness of it and it's right up along the lines of what i'd like to do. I'm definitely going to have to follow along that thread and use it for inspiration. I may even ask questions in the future but right now i'm trying not to ask too much until i get through this book and spend more time just learning.

:notworthy:

JohnnyJedi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2020, 07:34:53 pm
  • I want to have 10k games on my arcade machine
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2020, 08:26:42 pm »
Just read this and was wondering if you ever started your project??
Just help others because its the right thing to do...

My first Full Cabinet Build http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162377.0.html

howie2673

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2021, 05:56:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2020, 12:19:50 am »
I'm looking for a design with dimensions so I could possibly build my first cabinet. Is ther any out there in could find

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 07:57:54 am »

JohnnyJedi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2020, 07:34:53 pm
  • I want to have 10k games on my arcade machine
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2020, 10:09:57 pm »
I'm looking for a design with dimensions so I could possibly build my first cabinet. Is ther any out there in could find

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

@howie273  I posted this one on another thread,, here you go, they are my own design and schematics for the one I made just recently...

you only need 2 4'x8' panels, whichever you choose,, 5/8 or 3/4  MDF or Plywood, your preference. just adjust for your needs, specially the wide of it really depends on your monitor..

And you can see my build here http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162377.0.html 

Just help others because its the right thing to do...

My first Full Cabinet Build http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,162377.0.html

yrrkoon

• Offline Offline
  • I like to build things
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2020, 01:53:43 pm »
Just read this and was wondering if you ever started your project??

I did sort of. I started a test CP to gauge my interest level and to practice some techniques that I knew i'd have to wrestle with down the road.

see here for the thread on that.