Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: XL Question  (Read 3949 times)

cc17926

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 03:20:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
XL Question
« on: November 21, 2019, 01:15:51 pm »
Hi Guys,
New to the forum. Figure I would preface this question by saying I have two systems. One is an XL 6000, which I have successfully downsized from the massive chassis (which doesn't fit in the house) along with CF card operation (I can include pictures and description of operation if anyone is interested in this).

I also have a Platinum system, which runs off an old traditional hard drive. I am having a problem with the key SA3046-01 failing to start into the system, which could be dead. I have attempted to clean, and re-seat the key adapter board, and even another IO board to no avail. Is there a known way to bypass the key by patching the megacdll executable to not check for it? Are there working replacement keys available?

I appreciate any insight to get the Platinum XL system back up running again!

Thank you!

mahkeymike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:11:25 pm
Re: XL Question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 03:03:21 pm »
There was a guy who hacked the older XL megatouch keys. Here is a presentation video he did.

cc17926

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 03:24:28 pm »
There was a guy who hacked the older XL megatouch keys. Here is a presentation video he did.

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the reply. I have actually watched this video a few times, and it is very interesting. Thanks for passing this along for anyone who may be reviewing this thread from the future. While it might be possible to utilize a logic analyzer and record the communication with the ibutton key, and utilize the output for either a replay attack or making a new key, I however do not have a working key to start with.

If there is a repository for key data to remake the key, that would be great, but I am fearful that this never happened.

Any other thoughts on how to get the software started again?

Thank you!

gavinlew

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 05:40:28 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 03:25:44 pm »
Hi Guys,
New to the forum. Figure I would preface this question by saying I have two systems. One is an XL 6000, which I have successfully downsized from the massive chassis (which doesn't fit in the house) along with CF card operation (I can include pictures and description of operation if anyone is interested in this).

I want to move mine to a CF , Already have the adapter and a 4Gb CF card. Mines a 6000XL bartop running Titanium software (which I believe is the last version for this unit?) be interested to hear your story.

cc17926

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 03:48:37 pm »
I want to move mine to a CF , Already have the adapter and a 4Gb CF card. Mines a 6000XL bartop running Titanium software (which I believe is the last version for this unit?) be interested to hear your story.

Sure thing! Keep in mind, the 6000 software runs on a CD, and the Titanium runs on HDD. My move was 6000 from CD to CF Card. If I recollect from what others have said, all of the HDD versions have some form of drive check that Merit has in the game. I can still discuss the method that pertained to my specific scenario. I'll type up what I done, and post that here in about an hour or so.

gavinlew

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 05:40:28 pm
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 03:51:42 pm »
Thanks, look forward to reading, mine has a HDD inside of it. Running Titanium Edition.

cc17926

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 07:56:16 pm »
What I did to transfer the data from the CD-based system to a CF card required to go through a few hoops, but in the end, all runs well.

On a normal day, the 6000 system boots from the ROM on the IO board, and it contains all of the necessary boot routines to initialize the IO board as well.
To capture that ROM data, I attached a floppy drive and copied all of the files from C:\ to the A:\ .. I had to manually make a directory called "CDSTUF" on my floppy, and transfer the file from C:\CDSTUF to that directory.

Next, I took the floppy over to another PC that had running Windows 95 on it, but in DOS mode (when booting Shift-F5 just to drop into command line). I ran "SYS A:" to make the floppy bootable. This will replace the ROMDOS stuff, which is fine. I also copied FORMAT.COM SYS.COM and FDISK.EXE to the floppy from C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND (if using DOS, these files are in C:\DOS).

On your XL IO board, remove the jumper for JP1. This will disable the boot ROM on the system, and will force it to either boot from floppy or hard drive.

On the XL, remove the disc from the CD-ROM drive, and then disconnect the CD-ROM from the motherboard. Attach the CF card, and attach the power via the small power supply cable. In my experience, the CF card cannot be powered from the motherboard, and will cause the system not POST at all.

Go into the BIOS, and perform the IDE Hard Drive auto detection process so it can populate the drive. Also change the boot order to A: and then C:.

Boot from the floppy, but press F5 so it does not load all of the Megatouch applications and drops to a plain command line.

Load FDISK so partitions can be configured. If there are any existing, delete them so the drive is completely empty. If this is the case, you may need to reboot, then re-enter into FDISK to begin creating partitions.

Once in FDISK to then create partitions, the trick with the CD-based systems is to have your Megatouch data appear on drive F:. This will require creating one Primary partition, this can be small, say 30mb, and is used for the boot data. You will need to then create a Logical partition (this is like a bucket that can hold the Extended partitions, make this big, say 800mb!), which then can hold the remainder 3 partitions. When creating the first "Extended" partition, this can be small, say 30mb (this will fall as drive D:), same for the second "Extended" (Drive E:). The 3rd Extended will need to be at least 700mb to fit the CD data (Drive F:).

Once done curating the partition settings, in the main menu of FDISK, set the 1st Primary partition as the Active partition. Exit FDISK and reboot the system, and boot again from the floppy, and drop to a command prompt (Shift-F5).

Once at the command prompt, type: FDISK /MBR    (This will make sure that the master boot record data is written to the CF card so it can boot. I had to do this on mine, otherwise it wont).

Next, you will need to format drive C: and F:. Perform: FORMAT C: /S   This will format the C: drive and make the CF Card bootable. Once this completes, perform: FORMAT F:
Formatting drive D: and E: are optional, you wont need to use them, they are placeholders.

Once the formatting is complete, you can copy the data from the A: to the C: .. remember to create and copy the data from the CDSTUF directory as well.

Next, attach your CF card to a computer where you can place the Megatouch CD at the same time. Copy all of the data from the CD to the 800mb partition on the CF card.

On the XL machine, re-enter the BIOS and change the boot order from A:, C: to C:, A: for a faster boot process. You may also detach the floppy drive.

Boot the XL from the CF, and all should be well to start into the Megatouch application.

System starts and loads everything a ton quicker. From power on to game selection menu, it takes 45 seconds.

I hope this helps anyone moving away from CD's to a CF card..

cc17926

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 01:54:07 pm »
For what its worth, I got a new Platinum kit (which includes the hard drive and all necessary hardware to update a CD to HDD setup). Brand new key in the package is dead using the existing and new hard drive.

Also tried the new key (with new adapter board) on another IO board, and still does not work either.

At a minimum, made a virgin image backup of the Platinum drive before doing anything, for archive purposes.

cc17926

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 04:14:33 pm »
After some time of testing, I seem to identify that I have two bad XL IO boards. I tested the Platinum hard drive and both keys on my 6000 system, and they work fine without issue. I have even tried swapping the ROM/SRAM/EPROM chips from my working board just to see if it would make any difference, and still have the same issue with the two IO boards (Reporting bad key for the software that loads). As far as dip switch settings, they are all matching, along with jumpers. Real head scratcher here..