Software Support > GroovyMAME

Enabling EDID emulation not causing any change

(1/4) > >>

SamIAm:
Greetings, everyone. I'm sorry to trouble you with beginner questions. I'll keep this short and simple.

Dell Optiplex 3020 (i5-4570)
Windows 10 (Japanese version, apparently upgraded from Windows 7)
Radeon HD 5450 (DVI-I and DisplayPort outputs)

Following these instructions, I successfully installed CRT Emudriver 2.0 (Catalyst 12.6). However, when I attempted to use VMMaker 2.0 beta 15 to enable EDID emulation, I could not get it to work.

Upon clicking the "Enable EDID emulation" button, the screen flashes briefly but ultimately stays in the original resolution (800x600). I see a message about the the device restarting, and the button then reads "Disable EDID emulation", but there is no change. This is true no matter which of the two "Output" options I select*. I have de-selected "Extend desktop automatically on device restart". Everything else in VMMaker was at default settings the first time I tried this.

*The two options are: Digital_2-DVI-I and Analog_0-VGA

Aborting this step and moving on, I have successfully generated the super-resolutions and installed them, and I've also launched Groovymame in true 15khz. However, EDID emulation would be very useful. What might I do to enable it?

If it's at all meaningful, I've noticed that the "Test Mode" text in the lower right of the screen that appeared during the driver installation process is still there, even after restarting.

Thank you!

SamIAm:
I just discovered something: Enabling composite sync doesn't work either. I've only just now been able to test it.

Also, somewhat strangely, under VMMaker's Edit Settings -> Video Card -> Device heading, the "DISPLAY" number keeps climbing every time I click the Enable/Disable EDID emulation button. Right now, it reads:

DISPLAY16 - ATI Radeon HD 5450 (CRT Emudriver WDDM v1.2) - Generic NonPNPMonitor - enabled

And here, I'll click the button. Now it reads:

DISPLAY19 - ATI Radeon HD 5450 (CRT Emudriver WDDM v1.2) - Generic NonPNPMonitor - enabled

It appears that it will keep going up indefinitely.

No EDID emulation and no composite sync each make this setup much less convenient to use. I'd really like to get this to work. Which of the following do you think I should try next?

1. Reinstalling CRT Emudriver
2. Buying a different video card
3. Experimenting with old versions of CRT Emudriver / VMMaker

Of course, any other suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

MrMikeZH:

--- Quote from: SamIAm on November 19, 2019, 09:56:50 pm ---
Following these instructions, I successfully installed CRT Emudriver 2.0 (Catalyst 12.6). However, when I attempted to use VMMaker 2.0 beta 15 to enable EDID emulation, I could not get it to work.

Upon clicking the "Enable EDID emulation" button, the screen flashes briefly but ultimately stays in the original resolution (800x600). I see a message about the the device restarting, and the button then reads "Disable EDID emulation", but there is no change. This is true no matter which of the two "Output" options I select*. I have de-selected "Extend desktop automatically on device restart". Everything else in VMMaker was at default settings the first time I tried this.

*The two options are: Digital_2-DVI-I and Analog_0-VGA

Aborting this step and moving on, I have successfully generated the super-resolutions and installed them, and I've also launched Groovymame in true 15khz. However, EDID emulation would be very useful. What might I do to enable it?

If it's at all meaningful, I've noticed that the "Test Mode" text in the lower right of the screen that appeared during the driver installation process is still there, even after restarting.

Thank you!

--- End quote ---

So you are using an dvi-i to vga adaptor?
You have successfully launched gm in 15khz? Normaly you need the edid emulation to do just that on 5000+ cards, if you have a 15khz picture on the tv your cable and connections are ok but why would the edid emulation be very useful like you say when you already have a picture on  the 15khz screen?
windows stays in test mode for the driver to work but there are tools to hide that text.
you can try driver beta10 besides 15 to see which interlace picture you like more.
after a restart the display numbers return to  display1 2....

SamIAm:
Thank you for your reply.  :)

--- Quote ---So you are using an dvi-i to vga adaptor?

You have successfully launched gm in 15khz?
--- End quote ---

Both correct. Arcade_OSD works as well.

Also, when not in 15khz, I am using an external downscaler. This PC is connected exclusively to 15khz-only displays. Of course, when switching over to 15khz, I remove the downscaler from the chain.

--- Quote ---Normaly you need the edid emulation to do just that on 5000+ cards, if you have a 15khz picture on the tv your cable and connections are ok but why would the edid emulation be very useful like you say when you already have a picture on  the 15khz screen?
--- End quote ---

It would be very convenient for me to be able to access Windows functions on a 15khz-only display, as there are other emulators I would like to experiment with in 15khz beyond Groovymame. As for composite sync, I think I'd bore you to death if I explained all the particulars of my setup; suffice to say, I am currently combining sync with an Extron SS 200, but it would be very beneficial to eliminate that.

Indeed, the fact that I'm able to successfully launch GM in 15khz despite EDID emulation / composite sync not working is puzzling.

One theory that I have is that even though EDID emulation and composite sync are supposed to work on HD 5000+ cards, my particular HD 5450 might be a bit weird, what with it being a Japanese model and everything. I might have better luck with a 6000 series.

MrMikeZH:

--- Quote from: SamIAm on November 23, 2019, 08:51:35 pm ---
It would be very convenient for me to be able to access Windows functions on a 15khz-only display, as there are other emulators I would like to experiment with in 15khz beyond Groovymame.

--- End quote ---

What do you mean exactly, what functions?

I mean you have a picture at 15khz with gm like you say and have the modelines installed, thats all you need.
Or was the picture downscaled?

as for csync, i always use the hand combiner (twist h/vsync togehter) and there has yet to be a display not liking that.
since you have a picture at all your sync is ok, or do you mean using a display without your scaler?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version