Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help me get Donkey Kong running!  (Read 2677 times)

zauxier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2019, 07:00:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help me get Donkey Kong running!
« on: November 15, 2019, 09:33:38 am »
So I am about 99% finished with my mammoth project of building a Donkey Kong mame cabinet from scratch.  Everything is looking great and running smooth with the exception of Donkey Kong, the one game that SHOULD run on this thing.
Currently I have almost 250 games up and running including many Neo Geo games (metal slug series, money puzzle exchanger, kof, etc.)and 80s Era games (Pacman, tapper, donkey kong Jr) but the original Donkey Kong runs very very slow, around 15fps?
The computer I'm using is an old Windows XP machine, unsure of the processor at the moment. However, given the fact that so many other games are running just fine, I don't understand why donkey kong continues to give me problems? Any suggestions from the group on things I can do?

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
Re: Help me get Donkey Kong running!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 12:06:48 pm »
Do you know which version of MAME you're running? Have you tried launching the game on its own vs. launching through a frontend? (sometimes frontends do weird things).

Have you tried some different versions of DK roms (US vs. Japan for example)? Do they all perform the same?

If it's an older XP machine, I'd be inclined to say you should be using an older version of MAME too with its matching romset. Normally I'd suggest the newest version though.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 04:37:05 pm »
As I recall at some point the Mamedevs decided to emulate the sound in DK rather than use samples.  That made it so you needed more horsepower than would seem required to play it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:46:32 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 05:06:14 pm »
As I recall at some point the Mamedevs decided to emulate the sound in DK rather than use samples.  That made it so you needed more horsepower than would seem required to play it.

- 0.116: Couriersud implemented discrete sound from schematics in Donkey Kong. Color generation from schematics (resistor mixer). Replaced DAC/Samples sound with Discrete. Removed all samples.
There have been several other sound-related improvements to DK since then.

Scott

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 05:11:47 pm »

- 0.116: Couriersud implemented discrete sound from schematics in Donkey Kong. Color generation from schematics (resistor mixer). Replaced DAC/Samples sound with Discrete. Removed all samples.
There have been several other sound-related improvements to DK since then.

Scott

You never fail to deliver.   :cheers:

zauxier

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2019, 07:00:01 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 07:00:01 pm »
OK, so I just got home and can verify that the version of MAME I have running on my machine is MAMEUI32 0.122u1.

To some of the other questions that have been asked earlier, I have tried running outside of the front-end and using the different versions of the rom as well. I have unfortunately not had success with either of those. I just tried again to play it and when the barrels start coming it gets to around 5fps.

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 02:11:17 pm »
Maybe try stock MAME instead of MAMEui? Other than that I don't have many more recommendations, except different hardware, which I'm guessing you don't want.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 05:52:56 pm »
Man that cabinet looks really nice.