Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arachnid Super 6 Dart Board Not Working  (Read 8316 times)

mousecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2019, 05:12:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arachnid Super 6 Dart Board Not Working
« on: September 17, 2019, 07:44:25 pm »
Good evening folks, I just joined this forum because I was looking through some REALLY old threads about some old dart boards like the one I have. Hoping to find some useful information from the collective genius?
I really hope I'm posting this in the correct section?

Anyways, I bought an English Mark Super 6 mark II, a couple months ago, and decided it's time to start getting it working, if I can! The unit powers up, as in the lights come on on the upper cabinet, but it doesn't appear that anything else is working?
I was reading through some threads on this forum a while back and started checking the obvious, power supply resistors, and the likes. I did find that one of the resistors was resisting a little to much, and was not working. Found a couple parts on ebay and have replaced then already. so now they are working correctly and the power is flowing, but just not getting all the way I guess, because it still doesn't work?
I have plugged about every stinking wire I can find with the Multi meter and it all seems to be powered up, but I'm getting no monitor on, no lights on the coin receivers, the board doesn't even make the irritating buzzing noise when you touch it without putting a quarter in?

Any ideas where I should start? Is there even anyone left alive that knows how to work on these things?

All input and /or assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Have a good evening!

Eric
Modify message

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Arachnid Super 6 Dart Board Not Working
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 12:45:22 am »
I would start with the simple things first: the power supply board mounted atop that giant blue capacitor.

Unplug the dc output connector from the power supply board. That way there will be no load on it. Here's a picture of the power supply connector unplugged. Carefully measure all of the output voltages (don't accidently bridge two terminals together). You need to be sure ALL voltages are present on each terminal. There are several 12 volt sources on that board. One 12 volt source just powers the monitor. Another 12 volts source powers the coin door lights and push button lights. Another 12 volts source powers the "remove darts" and "throw darts" lights.

The +5 volts runs the logic chips on the game board.

The +21 volts powers the amplifier circuitry.

If bridge rectifier BR1 is dead, or fuse FS1 (5 amp slo blo) is blown, that will kill the +5 volts and all +12 sources power.

mousecat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 11:28:29 pm »
Thanks for the info, and the great advise! I metered every pin, got for VERY strange results! without the connector attached, each pin read 6.5 volts? Even the ground pins? then plugged the connector back in and got a 12 volt reading on almost all of them?
Going to start with trying to find the grounding issue, then go from there. I read up on the power supply swap. If I can fix the ground problem, I might just change it out and try and fix the problem completely!

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 11:41:34 pm »
Make sure you are measuring the power supply correctly. Your black meter lead goes to any of the "GND" pins on the power supply board. Your red meter lead goes to the individual + voltage pins. Be sure your meter is set to DC volts and it has fresh batteries (weak batteries cause strange readings).

mousecat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 06:20:11 pm »
On to the next phase I guess? Can't seem to solve the power, ground issue do I'm just going to swap out the power supply. Just ordered the parts so I guess we shall see in a few days? Hopefully this solves to problem and gets this thing to working! Thanks again for the input, I'll update things in a few days.

mousecat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 05:09:36 pm »
Well at this rate I might get this thing working in a year?  Got the part in at the beginning of the week, hooked it up, got nothing! took it apart, wired it three different ways, got moderate progress! took it apart, read the thread again on changing the power supply, stated over again. Finally for forward movement, but not at all what I was hoping for! The upper cabinet lights come on, and will dim and brighten, just as they should, and the coin return lights are on as well! But that's it, nothing else is working? No monitor, no throw darts or remove darts lights, no board noise?

Any other thoughts or suggestions? 

Thank you!

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 11:12:46 pm »
I say again, are you getting the correct voltages at the correct wires of the power supply? If you don't have +5 volts, there will be no activity of the game board and thus no picture on the monitor.

Was the game board known to be working properly before you started working on the machine?

mousecat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 12:25:15 am »
Ken,

Thank you for the response, I have been very frustrated with this thing in the last few days! I am so confused.... The reading I get on the meter made no sense to me, at all! It shows basically 3 volts coming off of each terminal on the new power supply? Even the common screws?? how is that even possible? And if that is possible, how are the coin return lights and the upper lamps working? so strange? Maybe I should just get to the basics?
Question, I noticed that on your thread on replacing the power supply to a switch type, you mention placing the (black) ground wires on the common leg, should the grounds be separate, as in the grounds for the 5 volt, be placed on the common of the 5 volt, and the ground for the 12 volt be placed on the common of the 12 volt leg? I'm just throwing things out, because I have no idea? I purchased a Mean Well RD-85A and finally got it working, but not at all correctly?
To answer your question about the board, unfortunately, have have no knowledge of the board, at all. I purchased it off the internet for like 50 dollars, I was told it WAS working but hadn't for some time now with no idea why it quit, of course. When I got it home and plugged it in, the only thing that powered up were the upper cabinet lamps.

mousecat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 08:41:10 pm »
Guess I'm getting a new power supply, other new one doesn't seem to be doing the job? hopefully the new new one will get it done?

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 10:45:51 pm »
If not, I'm hopeful the new new new one will do the trick. :cheers:
%Bartop

SpeedyJ97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2020, 09:40:15 am
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 03:25:04 pm »
I hope Ken sees this, i need his expert guidance! I too have an old 6300 machine. I have 2 power supplies. Both are screwed up now. The first one I replaced the 323K with a new linear reg, the rectifier, and the large capacitor. It repaired the 5V circuit. The game had the normal freezing issues for its time. I have the boards on the bench now, and reading the DC output at the connector i have no 12V circuits at all. It has me flustered. I am plumber, not an electronics guy. But i am fairly capable. My board troubleshooting is usually limited to HVAC items. Ha. I am just hoping you see this and maybe could point me in the right direction.

So one board is complete, and the donor parts one is not. The donor one is missing its Regulator for the sound circuit. Both exhibit the same no 12V condition. Transformers are fine, and the triacs both work great. This has to be a small problem. I bought the donor one to get a board where the traces seemed fully intact. The donor seems to have had the rectifier replaced at one time poorly. 

Help OBI WAN KEN, my teenage kid wants to play darts!

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 12:26:43 am »
Here's the power supply schematic:

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Darts/Arachnid/Arachnid_6000_Series_PS.pdf

There are two +12 volt regulators on the power supply board. The large one next to the +5 regulator supplies 12 volts DC to just the monitor. The small one next to the connector provides 12 volts dc to the coin door lights, pushbutton lights, and the remove/throw dart lights.

Those two regulators get their unregulated power inputs from the 5 amp slo blo fuse. So if you take your meter and measure the unregulated power going into those regulators, you should see about 14 volts. If that's good and you still have no 12 volts out at the connector, suspect two bad regulators. If there is no voltage coming into the regulators, you have a broken foil trace on the power supply board somewhere.