Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A couple questions from someone that's been out of the "game" for a bit...  (Read 5452 times)

Warborg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:41:41 am
  • Personal text? Nah...
Well, I've built up a couple cabs and messed with emulation since the Pentium MMX days...  But I haven't built one up in quite some time.  The PC in my current cab is an Athlon XP on WinXP so it's pretty old.  I recently scavenged parts and built up a new PC for it (Dual core i5, 8GB RAM, 750Ti) and am trying to clear off an external 1TB USB3.0 drive for additional storage.  So I am thinking of putting Win10 on it, and my current cab has Mala but was thinking of trying Attract Mode this time around...    So the question is do many people actual run Win10 for a cabinet or have people stuck to WinXP/7 mainly?  And with Attract Mode, is there a good way to set it up to program my u360 like Mala/LedBlinky does?  As in able to program the stick based on what each ROM needs instead of per emulator, or having to specify a UGC for each game that doesn't use the default for the emu?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: A couple questions from someone that's been out of the "game" for a bit...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 09:03:16 pm »
Have you considered a pi?   

(in before pbj could post this  :laugh2:   )

No, but seriously...  winXP/win7 is still king of the PC set-ups.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 02:21:26 pm »
Don't do a pi.

Windows 10 enterprise 1703+ is super easy to hide the windows UI.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 02:56:23 pm »

I strongly disagree on this one.  If you want to play any modern games you'll need win 10.  Win 7 will do ok but there isn't any reason to use it unless you are running a low resource pc or you just happen to have a license around and you want to save money.  I don't think anyone uses xp anymore unless their hardware is severely old and busted. 

Anyway, the important thing is to avoid the problem OSes.  Don't put vista or windows 8 on a cab or anything older than xp and you'll be fine. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 03:06:02 pm »
I dunno man, he's running a  Duo core i5, 8GB RAM, 750Ti.  While he can technically run Win 10, it's not going to be blazingly smooth or anything.  I personally wouldn't do it.

We're also not informed of what he plans on running, if it's just going to be MAME or if he wants to run Steam games.
 :dunno

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
I recently updated my cab from Vista to Win10 while still using the very old Athlon X3 processor.  (used an old Win7 key to activate)   Suprisingly, there doesn't seem to be a performance hit.  I know because the Naomi shmups and NFL Blitz required tweaking to run at full speed and they are still running at full speed after changing.  I have an identical PC with only 4GB of RAM and it is choking on Win10.  IIRC, the cab has 8GB.

If it is going to be connected to the internet, keep in mind that security updates for Win7 ends in January.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 11:31:45 pm »
Ok, couple things...  I was incorrect as to which CPU is in said PC, it's actually an i5-2400, so it's 4 core at 3.1Ghz.  Secondly, op2not is correct, I forgot to list what I was going to run on it, although for the most part the same stuff that was on the Athlon XP 3000+ PC so this hardware should be good to go in that regard.  Mostly classics and older consoles (and DAPHNE), but will probably want to throw Atomiswave, NAOMI, and Dreamcast stuff on it as well if nothing else for the fighters.  Maybe Dolphin for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (if you can't tell, I like fighting games)...

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 12:48:58 am »
Your computer more than outperforms mine in every way, and mine over performs during speed testing.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 02:24:15 am »
Oh yeah definitely go with Win 10 then. That pc is beefy enough. :lol

As for your other question, I’m not sure about how Attract Mode interfaces with those programs but it’s a command-line FE so I assume it’d be like Mala.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 03:39:37 pm »

I strongly disagree on this one.  If you want to play any modern games you'll need win 10.  Win 7 will do ok but there isn't any reason to use it unless you are running a low resource pc or you just happen to have a license around and you want to save money.  I don't think anyone uses xp anymore unless their hardware is severely old and busted. 

Anyway, the important thing is to avoid the problem OSes.  Don't put vista or windows 8 on a cab or anything older than xp and you'll be fine.

Vista?  What is this word you speak of?  No OS named Vista has ever existed...  ;)

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 03:41:03 pm »
Don't do a pi.

Windows 10 enterprise 1607+ is super easy to hide the windows UI.

A Pi was never on the table...  :)

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 03:42:26 pm »
So, no one has any experience with a U360 and Attract Mode?

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 04:00:29 pm »
So, no one has any experience with a U360 and Attract Mode?

AttactMode has a plug-in for the U360.  I'm not sure how well it works though.  I've built a Windows 7 machine with AttractMode but need to get GroovyMame installed before I can do any testing with my U360. 

Deek069

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2021, 09:39:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 04:01:04 pm »
Don't do a pi.

Love my Pi (3b running RetroPie) set-up - works a treat :)

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 04:05:44 pm »

Have a link showing how to hide the UI easily?

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 04:12:19 pm »
Don't do a pi.

Lol not going to bother explaining to an ignorant fanboy.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 04:13:20 pm »

Have a link showing how to hide the UI easily?

Guide on my arcademvs wiki, link in signature.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 04:58:29 pm »

If you like input lag and spending hours upon hours of custom configuration, good for you.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 05:30:44 pm »
I use a pi for my mini console setup. Works great. Considering one for my Gorf cabinet but have to test it out.

I use what works. Configuring the pi was a little different but I’d rather configure a pi than configure Hyperspin. That was brutal.

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2019, 08:00:56 pm »
Sorry, I didn't want to start a Pi debate...  I have no feelings about the Pi one way or the other, I just prefer being able to use a PC as it's more flexible and powerful for the most part and something I'm very familiar with...  Just a personal preference.  No need for me to re-invent the wheel, eh?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2019, 09:20:51 pm »
There are more front-ends than hyperspin lew.  I honestly wouldn't recommend hyperspin to anyone that wants an easy setup. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 09:32:53 pm »
There are more front-ends than hyperspin lew.  I honestly wouldn't recommend hyperspin to anyone that wants an easy setup.

Really Howard? There are more front ends than Hyperspin!? :)

I was just saying that in the grand scheme of software configuration, messing with the pi wasn't a huge deal. Certainly not as bad as trying to configure Hyperspin, even Mamewah was a bigger PITA. Now Mala - that was the right amount of configuration as far as I'm concerned.

Don't worry OP. You aren't starting a pi debate. That debate has been had many times. For a while, we had the pi suggestion come up in, like, every thread. It was tough to take. Some of the members still have some PTSD over it. If you ever did want to check it out, I'd say you could get one up and running in under a couple hours. Like Opt said though, once you start trying to customize it - it can get a little rabbit hole-ish. I haven't witnessed the performance issues.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 12:42:51 pm »

I was just saying that in the grand scheme of software configuration, messing with the pi wasn't a huge deal. Certainly not as bad as trying to configure Hyperspin, even Mamewah was a bigger PITA. Now Mala - that was the right amount of configuration as far as I'm concerned.

Don't worry OP. You aren't starting a pi debate. That debate has been had many times. For a while, we had the pi suggestion come up in, like, every thread. It was tough to take. Some of the members still have some PTSD over it. If you ever did want to check it out, I'd say you could get one up and running in under a couple hours. Like Opt said though, once you start trying to customize it - it can get a little rabbit hole-ish. I haven't witnessed the performance issues.

Ive done actual performance testing, and it is not good. Lag testing has been performed by another member as well, and its not good. It does not belong in a cab whatsoever. The only positive I have is the fact that it has composite video and its small. Many people are drawn to the “I can download a preconfigured image with 20,000+ games” and either ignore the issues or have no clue.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2019, 01:17:58 pm »
Certain things only happen once a year. Christmas, the Fourth of July, me considering using a Raspberry Pi for a project before finding a better solution...

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 01:50:59 pm »

Ive done actual performance testing, and it is not good. Lag testing has been performed by another member as well, and its not good. It does not belong in a cab whatsoever. The only positive I have is the fact that it has composite video and its small. Many people are drawn to the “I can download a preconfigured image with 20,000+ games” and either ignore the issues or have no clue.

Or they’re willing to live with it. Which is fine.

Personally I choose a better gaming experience.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:37:48 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 03:53:18 pm »
I have a Pi in a small cabinet.  It's okay.  I wish the menus did something more interesting but Emulation Station insists on being sterile and dead so that's that.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 05:28:31 pm »

Interesting. I used it on my tv and it wasn't good, did a google search and switched the tv to game mode and it is so much better, that if there is any issues, they are not perceptible by me.

As far as performance testing, I'm playing console from Atari to SNES - works great. How much is "not good", any how? I tried MK3 and it was awful - burgertime is fine. 

I get that it's pretty limited, but it seems to work in some use cases. :dunno

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 06:46:05 pm »
As to playing emus on my TV, I use my nVidia Shield TV...  Works a treat for classics and some later consoles...

As to front ends...  After beating 3D Arcade in to shape back in the day, I'm really not interested in another headache...  :)  My current cab has Mala on it which of course took a bit of experimenting but I don't remember it being a nightmare or anything.  So my additional question then is, how "easy" is Attract Mode to set up (comparatively speaking, of course).  I had looked in to Hyperspin at one point but was quickly disinterested due to it's apparent complexity.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2019, 07:04:22 pm »
So my additional question then is, how "easy" is Attract Mode to set up (comparatively speaking, of course).  I had looked in to Hyperspin at one point but was quickly disinterested due to it's apparent complexity.

How about giving it a try and reporting back?  I don't think many of us here use Attract Mode (apparent from the lack of a straight answer to your original questions).  I say instead of trying to find out through proxy, give it a shot yourself and see if it's as easy as Mala.

Personally I prefer Mala over all others. not saying it's the greatest. It's just easy to set-up and customize compared to everything I've seen.

Maybe you'll change my mind with Attract Mode after you've investigated.  ;)

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2019, 07:53:43 pm »
As to playing emus on my TV, I use my nVidia Shield TV...  Works a treat for classics and some later consoles...

As to front ends...  After beating 3D Arcade in to shape back in the day, I'm really not interested in another headache...  :)  My current cab has Mala on it which of course took a bit of experimenting but I don't remember it being a nightmare or anything.  So my additional question then is, how "easy" is Attract Mode to set up (comparatively speaking, of course).  I had looked in to Hyperspin at one point but was quickly disinterested due to it's apparent complexity.

Attractmode is extremely easy. Any questions, check out the attract forum or discord. Myself and others will be willing to answer any attract questions.

@leapinlew

Use the following, but substitute your binary and rom(s). Compile different mame versions and see the results. A change happened after 0.106 that will effect performance negatively on low performance computers. Results will not be good.

Code: [Select]
./mame64 alexkidd -str 90 -nothrottle
Raspberry Pi does not support normal open gl, but open gl es. Because performance is not good.

Theres other issues, but ill save them for another time.

RVZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2022, 08:51:42 am
    • Metal Slug!
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2019, 02:23:30 am »

Since when is using composite a positive?   ;D

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2019, 02:56:34 am »
So my additional question then is, how "easy" is Attract Mode to set up (comparatively speaking, of course).  I had looked in to Hyperspin at one point but was quickly disinterested due to it's apparent complexity.

How about giving it a try and reporting back?  I don't think many of us here use Attract Mode (apparent from the lack of a straight answer to your original questions).  I say instead of trying to find out through proxy, give it a shot yourself and see if it's as easy as Mala.

Personally I prefer Mala over all others. not saying it's the greatest. It's just easy to set-up and customize compared to everything I've seen.

Maybe you'll change my mind with Attract Mode after you've investigated.  ;)

I get it, I was looking more for an answer like keilmillerjr provided...  I wasn't looking for a big rundown or anything, just wanted an idea as to the difficulty to jump in.  I didn't want to waste my time if it had a huge learning curve which apparently it doesn't, so now I will give it a shot...  :)

I just remember wanting to beat my head against a wall with 3D Arcade back in the day...  lol

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 04:21:46 am »

Since when is using composite a positive?   ;D

When almost every crt tv in the usa has that type of connection.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2019, 03:07:27 pm »
Yeah but you shouldn't be using a composite only tv at this point if you want a crt.  Either use a better tv, since people are literally giving them away at this point or use an arcade monitor. 

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2019, 04:26:20 pm »
Yeah but you shouldn't be using a composite only tv at this point if you want a crt.  Either use a better tv, since people are literally giving them away at this point or use an arcade monitor.

Almost all crt’s where I live is rf and composite. Some s-video, but most peripherals did not include cable so there was no push to have a tv with it. No scart in usa. We got what we got.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2019, 04:42:53 pm »
Have either of you gents look into RGB modding a CRT?

There has been a lot of buzz around doing it to Sony Trinny's these days.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2019, 09:29:27 pm »
Unless you really know what you are doing, the trick to that seems to be to be lucky enough to find a tv with a well-documented chipset so you know where you can tap in.  Otherwise you can poke around on the chip to try and figure it out, but I'm always afraid I'll get a weird tv that doesn't have the high voltage isolated.

But anyway, I live in the states as well.... I have no problem finding s-video stuff and at this point I'd suggest looking around for component, but honestly I've moved on to lcds and I haven't looked back.  I want to play modern video games as well and any of the aforementioned interfaces will require a old video card.  If I were going to do a crt at this point I'd use a proper arcade monitor and a converter board.... either a new one or a "broken" one that really just needs a cap kit. 

Warborg

• Offline Offline
  • Personal text? Nah...
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2019, 07:23:30 pm »
My cabinet still has an SVGA monitor in it with BNC connections...  Was just a surplus 22" I had laying around once I had moved to LCD on my PC.  I'll probably just use it until it finally gives up the ghost...  :)