Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Totally remove from system 640x480 p is possible?  (Read 2640 times)

xbrunox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:45:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Totally remove from system 640x480 p is possible?
« on: November 10, 2019, 05:15:52 pm »
Hi Calamity is possible totally remove from my system 640x480p? I only want 640x480i.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Totally remove from system 640x480 p is possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 12:01:15 am »
Errr, yes, effectively? Following the right crt_emudriver setup guide for 15kHz and then stopping and disabling the AMD External Events Utility windows service, and then finally installing Atom15 should do this. You will need to make sure you use a Radeon HD 5000 series card so you can enable EDID emulation, and one that's compatible with Atom15 as well.

xbrunox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 01:02:22 am »
Ok... The only thing that I haven't do is install an atom firmware on my r9 280x. The problem is that in my arcade osd options I always have a 640x480p and sometimes a game hook that resolution not 640x480i and so my screen is blank!

psakhis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:12:41 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 11:23:26 am »
Hi,

I have AMD external utility service disabled and i have the same problem...and atom15 installed.

Some games or emulators (for exemple redream) at 640x480 out of sync my TV, and i need configure modeline at 704x480 for bypass the problem...i don't see any modeline at 480p and i don't know why games or emulators select 480p...i thought some software at 640x480 try 31khz but i don't know what's the problem at all.

Salut

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 01:29:30 pm »
The problem is most developers are not aware of what the refresh rate is.

In their programs, they just specify width x height to refer to a video mode, e.g. 640x480.

Instead, they should provide width x height and refresh, e.g. 640x480@60. This way, the correct video mode is activated unambiguosly.

When you only specify width x height, the OS is free to decide what refresh to apply, and it decides wrong.

This illness has only got worse since most devs currently use cross-platform graphic libraries.

Usually, it doesn't help to hide modes, since the OS internally still has access to the 31 kHz version.

With regards to OP's question, as far as I know removing one mode is not possible unless you modified the drivers, and even with that I wouldn't be surprised if Windows managed to get the mode back, since 640x480@31kHz is the most standard, fallback mode ever and it's always supposed to exist.

Setting the desktop to an non-standard mode, like psakhis suggested, is a correct workaround, for the case where the issue happens when the offending program exits and tries to restore the desktop resolution, failing and setting 31 kHz. This works because the drivers don't have a 31 kHz counterpart for your non-standard mode, so even if the program requests it by width x height only, the OS won't fail to provide the correct mode.

Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

xbrunox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 02:33:24 pm »
Thanks Calamity for the answer!
My desktop is alway set to 640x384 I've a 25khz monitor.
I don't have problem with the desktop.

Unfortunally I've  problem with games.. Especially with lindberg games launched by teknoparrot...  The only way for change the resolution is by change the hex values of resolution... I can write 640x480 or 640x384 in formatted mode but In the code apparently the frequency isn't specified!

In any case many thanks!

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 05:52:24 pm »
oops, i forgot to mention that you also need to go into the display properties in windows and check the hide modes this monitor cannot display box. That should help too.

I was having a problem with this, Attract Mode kept grabbing 480p because i set it up that way before setting up crt_emudriver, but those two steps fixed it right up. this might be the only fix for the reverse of the problem calamity describes, i dunno.

(Atom15 is for boot protection, not required for windows-specific problems tho)