Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bomb Jack PCB in Donkey Kong Jr caboinet?  (Read 2836 times)

miner49er

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2020, 08:09:30 am
Bomb Jack PCB in Donkey Kong Jr caboinet?
« on: November 05, 2019, 07:19:35 am »
Hi there!

So, as my last post pointed out, I'm looking at replacing my cabinet that I lost.
I'm now looking at a cool Donkey Kong Jr cabinet and was wondering how easy it is to convert to JAMMA (without destroying it obviously!).

I actually have a Bomb Jack PCB that I would love to have running in it, maybe with a switch to go back to DKJR.

Also, I would like to set my old setup going with MAME etc.

Any ideas? My last point didn't seem to get much traction...but I'm going to look at cabs this weekend and would like to have more information!

Cheers!

miner49er

• Offline Offline
Re: Bomb Jack PCB in Donkey Kong Jr caboinet?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 07:22:13 am »
I found this that looks like it would suffice:

https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=JAM2NIN

Does anyone have any experience of using one of these?

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 10:41:47 am »
I found this that looks like it would suffice:

https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=JAM2NIN

Does anyone have any experience of using one of these?

I recently threw one of these into my DK Jr cab to try out.
Works as it should perfectly, and is a non-destructive plug-n-play solution.

You need to pair it with this to the chain if you want the easiest way to convert the cabinet to JAMMA.
https://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=DK-EDGE2PIN

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 12:56:09 pm »
Here’s what it looks like on my cab. Temporarily hooked up to a crappy 60-in-1 PCB, but you can see how the two adapters from Mike’s Arcade chains together and is hooked up to the cabinet’s wiring.
Simple, clean solution that is very easily reversed.

miner49er

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 05:02:25 am »
This looks promising, thanks!

Is that the existing PCB in there, behind the two convertors and I assume the 60-1 PCB?

Going to look at the DKJR cab this weekend...it's a lot of money...really don't want to wreck it.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 05:44:38 pm »
This looks promising, thanks!

Is that the existing PCB in there, behind the two convertors and I assume the 60-1 PCB?

Going to look at the DKJR cab this weekend...it's a lot of money...really don't want to wreck it.

Yeah, 3 small PCB's are the two convertors and a cheapy 60-in-1 board that I got on sale during the holiday season ( I think i got it for $40).  The tall Double-stacked PCB behind them is a DK Jr board with Braze Double DK mod on it. I can switch back and forth between DK and DK Jr.

It actually came with the cabinet when I bought it, 9 years ago.  I just recently got the monitor working 100% and am planning a few small fixes to the cabinet to refresh it a bit.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 05:48:49 pm by opt2not »

miner49er

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 03:44:54 am »
Ah, nice pictures on your old thread! Looks like I could possible even get a little PC in there, after getting it working with JAMMA connectors! Though, that would obviously require extra 240V (I'm in the UK)...don't want to be drilling any holes.

I guess the DKJR joystick in a regular 4-way? I mainly used to play Bomb Jack and Pacman on my old cab, and this would be sweet as it's a vertical-mount CRT.

How is the 6-in-1 PCB? Do the games run as well as MAME emulated versions?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 03:48:59 pm »
Ah, nice pictures on your old thread! Looks like I could possible even get a little PC in there, after getting it working with JAMMA connectors! Though, that would obviously require extra 240V (I'm in the UK)...don't want to be drilling any holes.
You 'could', but it would be a tight fit depending on where you mount it. But IMO, don't go maming an original like this. Keep mame for a DIY cab or conversion cabinets like Dynamo's or those European equivalents you guys have there.

I guess the DKJR joystick in a regular 4-way?
Yes, that's the stock Nintendo 4-way.

I mainly used to play Bomb Jack and Pacman on my old cab, and this would be sweet as it's a vertical-mount CRT.

How is the 60-in-1 PCB? Do the games run as well as MAME emulated versions?

They run as well as some older Mame versions.  In some games, it's not as authentic as the real deal. DK is a prime example. It has the old ---smurfy--- audio samples.

I only really use this board as a test PCB for my testing rig. In this instance I was using it for checking the monitor since the service mode of the 60-in-1 has some video test patterns you can access.  (but since this photo, I've purchased a CraftyMech Test Pattern Generator and now use that for my test bench)

miner49er

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 08:55:57 am »
You 'could', but it would be a tight fit depending on where you mount it. But IMO, don't go maming an original like this. Keep mame for a DIY cab or conversion cabinets like Dynamo's or those European equivalents you guys have there.

I've decided against the cab now...partly for the not wanting to maim it reason but also the cost...2,5K for a DKjr cab is just cazy.

I'm looking at  generic cab now...actually bought one but I'm waiting for space to become avaialble.

Thanks for all your help though!