Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Phantom xbox360 controller showing up in Windows 10  (Read 1518 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
Phantom xbox360 controller showing up in Windows 10
« on: October 29, 2019, 08:16:14 am »
I updated my cab to Windows 10.  It uses two hacked Mad Catz fightpads for the controls.
Every time the PC is restarted, windows detects and installs a xbox360 controller in addition to the two fightpads already there.
This causes a problem because the phantom xbox360 controller is always listed as the 1st or 2nd controller which screws up my front-end and emulators.
If I delete the phantom controller all works fine, but it is "detected and installed" every time windows starts up.

One of the fight pads was getting flaky before the update so I swapped in an unhacked (and larger) SFIV fightpad, but it is still doing the same thing.
(The SFIV fight pad shows up as "Street Fighter IV fightpad" while the smaller ones show up as "Mad Catz fightpad", so I don't think they share identical IDs like some cheaper controllers.)

Anyone else experience this?
I'm about to go back to a keyboard encoder.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
Re: Phantom xbox360 controller showing up in Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 09:49:08 am »
I was able to fix the order by disabling all three in device manager and then enabling the real ones one at a time leaving the phantom one disabled.
I was able to tell which one was being enabled because the LED on the PCB lit up when enabled.

Upon restarting though, it insists on having player 1 & 2 swapped.
So I guess I'm rewiring.  :angry:

Back when I initially installed these hacked pads, I thought windows put them in order based on some internal ID (as opposed to directinput controllers which go in order they are installed).
It seems windows 10 likes a different order than Vista.  :-\

EDIT: upon a second restart, P2 pcb didn't start, which is what P1's was doing when it was being flaky.  Seems to be a windows issue since it's now the other PCB.  (whichever one shows as P1 before failing to power up on the next restart.

I'm going back to a keyboard encoder.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:53:00 am by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 01:23:07 pm »
Plug them into a usb hub that's always powered... that should fix the problem in theory. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 03:00:02 pm »
A quick google search led me to believe that Windows 10 also has issues with the LT and RT buttons on fightpads/fightsticks anyway.
That put it over the top=not worth it.
I gave up and went back to using a Key-Wiz. 

I won't be able to play as many Steam Games, but at least I can stop fiddling with the controllers and move on.