Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: trying to understand Super Resolutions vs regular.  (Read 4389 times)

vargas14617

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2024, 02:56:54 pm
  • Don't push the Red button! I pushed the Red button
trying to understand Super Resolutions vs regular.
« on: October 27, 2019, 07:37:35 pm »
I am running a D9400 in windows 8.1 with a 6450HD ati card.  when I use VMM to generate resolutions the games like T2 omega race etc seem to run fine.  Verticals like donkey kong and pacman are too tall groovy mame switches resolution to 768x512 which is too tall.  If I run super resolution then vertical games are ok but games like t2, omega race are off center or over wide for the monitor.  I have tried in in the regular resolutions to add this as vertical.ini crt_range0  15625-16200, 49.50-65.00, 2.000, 4.700, 8.000, 0.064, 0.192, 1.024, 0, 0, 192, 256, 448, 480,  did not work.  Changed it in mame.ini didn't work still changed to 768x512. I am trying to figure out why super resolutions makes the games off center and wide.  what is the solution for that and for regular resolutions what is the correct process to change the resolution to one that will not extend beyond the screen(too tall).  I have been working on this for two days.  I want to learn. 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:48:34 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: trying to understand Super Resolutions vs regular.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 02:25:09 pm »
you need to set the resolution and leave it there. these monitors only support standard video resolutions...anything else you are going to have to force the games to scale to one of these resolutions...

IE: the graphics modes the D9400 can run:

CGA: 640 X 240
EGA: 773 X 384
VGA: 640 X 200, 640 X 350, 640 X 480
SVGA: 800 X 600

vargas14617

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 10:32:48 pm »
I thought that using groovy Mame with vVMm maker took care of the scaling.  My understanding is using super resolutions is better than the regular ones. Am I wrong? How do I force scaling or height?

fuchi_jeg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2023, 11:11:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 06:25:20 am »
I have a d9400 and it auto syncs any resolution mame gives it.  From 192 x200 all the way to 800x600, as long as that resolution is in your user mode file. Even odd resolutions like narc and rampage. Vertical games are a bit squirrelly sometimes due to displaying horizontally, but with enough tweaking even they display correctly. Between user modes and monitor specs you should be able to get it working.

vargas14617

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 06:40:04 am »
I have a d9400 and it auto syncs any resolution mame gives it.  From 192 x200 all the way to 800x600, as long as that resolution is in your user mode file. Even odd resolutions like narc and rampage. Vertical games are a bit squirrelly sometimes due to displaying horizontally, but with enough tweaking even they display correctly. Between user modes and monitor specs you should be able to get it working.
So I should use "user modes" vs Supermodes? how do I tweak the ones that don't fit?

fuchi_jeg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 08:15:06 am »
You can use either, but you will have to modify the modes depending on what you are trying to achieve. I'm eliminating most super resolutions , as this monitor can sync to any mame  or console resolution. It really comes down to taking a day or two to play around with the settings and test the results for YOUR application.

vargas14617

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 09:07:58 am »
You can use either, but you will have to modify the modes depending on what you are trying to achieve. I'm eliminating most super resolutions , as this monitor can sync to any mame  or console resolution. It really comes down to taking a day or two to play around with the settings and test the results for YOUR application.

Sounds like with a D9400 regular modes is better since rhe monitor can handle it.  Can you point me on how to tweak settings for specific games. Example tmnt is too wide and vertical games are too tall.

fuchi_jeg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 10:54:51 am »
Set your monitor to D9400 preset in VMM. That preset is capped at 224p I believe, you may need to edit if you want a lower value. Set VMM to dynamic and generate modelines. If a specific game is giving you trouble(TMNT) add that games resolution to your super.ini and re-generate. To be more specific is tough because there is a lot of trial and error based on your setup and which games you are trying to run. If you aren't using hyperspin as a frontend you can set VMM to generate every mame modeline from your XML if you wanted to.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 06:17:46 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 12:15:34 pm »
The reason for using super resolutions is that Windows has a limit on the number of resolutions you can store.  Super resolutions gets around that by having different vertical lines but making the widths 2000+.  This shouldn’t present any issues with your setup.

vargas14617

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 02:02:30 pm »
The reason for using super resolutions is that Windows has a limit on the number of resolutions you can store.  Super resolutions gets around that by having different vertical lines but making the widths 2000+.  This shouldn’t present any issues with your setup.

I am running into issues with super. Games are not centered and some games are wider than the screen. I have centered the resolutions in osd and copied the front and back porches to mame.ini. The games do not reduce width in game.  Certain vertical are still too tall.  I am just trying to make sure I set this up correctly. Do I select anything other than super and monitor type in Vmmaker?  Does the mame.ini need any changes other than the porches?  Do I have to make custom inis for games that don’t fit correctly and id so how? 

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 06:17:46 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 03:10:26 pm »
I am running into issues with super. Games are not centered and some games are wider than the screen. I have centered the resolutions in osd and copied the front and back porches to mame.ini. The games do not reduce width in game.  Certain vertical are still too tall.  I am just trying to make sure I set this up correctly. Do I select anything other than super and monitor type in Vmmaker?  Does the mame.ini need any changes other than the porches?  Do I have to make custom inis for games that don’t fit correctly and id so how?

Here’s what I would do.  Focus on one horizontal frequency range at a time.  Meaning 15khz only at first.  As discussed in your other thread just nail down the first  modeline for the majority of games:

crt_range0  15250-18000, 40-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.190, 0.191, 1.018, 0, 0, 224, 288, 448, 576

Your porch values shouldn’t shift from what you have in Arcade OSD to the actual games.  If they do then it means they aren’t taking in mame.  I would eliminate all variables (front end not launching GroovyMame etc) and use the command line for testing (if you don’t know how to do this let me know, it’s also covered in the tutorials if I remember correctly).

Once you test horizontal ONLY, get them looking good, then test vertical games, again 15khz only.

Couple of things to keep in mind.  You won’t have the vertical height of all horizontal games fill the screen the same.  That’s because they have different resolutions and what folks would do in arcades is adjust the vertical height on the potentiometers of the monitor to fill the screen.  What you should have though is the correct width for each game that shouldn’t shift much.

Regarding vertical games displayed on a horizontal screen, this will usually have some spill over (outside the edges of the screen).  Again you can adjust the height of the pots in your monitor. 

To get away from constantly adjusting your pots means to accept some black bars on top and bottom in games with a lower vertical resolution.  What I have done is expanded my pots to give the largest area possible so that games with more vertical resolution will fit, and have black bars top and bottom of other games.  I prefer this to having a game have some cut off.  You could install a pot and adjust on each game but that may prematurely wear down the pots if you do it a lot (not that they couldn’t be replaced).

Get it how you like then tackle the next frequency range:

crt_range1  18001-19000, 40-80, 2.187, 4.688, 6.719, 0.140, 0.191, 0.950, 0, 0, 288, 320, 0, 0

And so on.