Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Protecting The Control Panel  (Read 4120 times)

Spottedfeather

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2022, 11:41:56 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Protecting The Control Panel
« on: October 23, 2019, 05:13:33 pm »
What is a good way to protect the control panel ? I've heard clear coat and clear contact paper. Which is better ? And if I go the contact paper route,  will it really be clear ? Also, if I go with the clear coat, is there a specific brand I should look into ?

DoubleE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2019, 10:23:38 pm
Re: Protecting The Control Panel
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 04:14:19 pm »
I will be using transparent vinyl shortly. Wife does the cricut vinyl stuff and the transparent vinyl from 651vinyl.com is perfectly clear and is made not to yellow.

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 12:54:34 pm »
I'm very disappointed with the service I received from Arcade1Up.
I recall seeing an official video where they addressed the control panel wear, and they were offering free protective overlays.
I'd need to go back and watch, but I believe in  the video it was addressed this would be fixed on future releases.

I recall telling my buddy Lucas as he had the SFII (original release) and he contacted them and got his replacement.
I remember asking him if they asked for proof of purchase which they did not.

Fast-forward quite some time, and my bro picks up a Pac-Man a few days ago for his kids on X-Mass.
To my surprise no overlay included ! Did the Pac-Man release not follow SFII ? So if so why was it not included ?
The issue was not resolved, yet you stop offering a solution?
But when you did you did not ask for proof of purchase ?

Absolutely ridiculous !

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 02:06:25 pm »
I'm very disappointed with the service I received from Arcade1Up.
I recall seeing an official video where they addressed the control panel wear, and they were offering free protective overlays.
I'd need to go back and watch, but I believe in  the video it was addressed this would be fixed on future releases.

I recall telling my buddy Lucas as he had the SFII (original release) and he contacted them and got his replacement.
I remember asking him if they asked for proof of purchase which they did not.

Fast-forward quite some time, and my bro picks up a Pac-Man a few days ago for his kids on X-Mass.
To my surprise no overlay included ! Did the Pac-Man release not follow SFII ? So if so why was it not included ?
The issue was not resolved, yet you stop offering a solution?
But when you did you did not ask for proof of purchase ?

Absolutely ridiculous !

I agree that arcade 1up has lousy support (although i've never had a problem with it).

But this time, its you guys that are late to the party. You're buying things that are years old,
and expecting them to have the current fixes.

You have to order them from their website, and yes, you have to show proof of purchase, etc now.
https://arcade1up.com/collections/parts

(the pac-man one is out of stock for now).

Thats how it works.

later
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 02:11:20 pm by negative1 »

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 08:20:35 pm »
I hear what your saying.  But my brother is not a coinop hobbyist like myself. He went to a store, saw pacman, liked it, bought it.  How long it sat on the shelf or the backroom to me is insignificant. We're here in Canada,  I'd bet with duties or brokerage this would be close to $50 CDN. To me the issue remains you have a deficient product

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 12:39:56 pm »
I hear what your saying.  But my brother is not a coinop hobbyist like myself. He went to a store, saw pacman, liked it, bought it.  How long it sat on the shelf or the backroom to me is insignificant. We're here in Canada,  I'd bet with duties or brokerage this would be close to $50 CDN. To me the issue remains you have a deficient product

i agree with you.
but when you buy something years old, how do you expect it to fix the problems now.

all their new machines have deck protectors included, so they solved that problem.

they also upgraded the monitors, and some games have better sound (stereo), better joysticks,
and other controls.

the earliest machines, were the worst. (and some of the new ones are still pretty bad also, but improving).

later

pumaconcolor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2020, 07:06:27 am
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 05:12:40 am »
I will be using transparent vinyl shortly. Wife does the cricut vinyl stuff and the transparent vinyl from 651vinyl.com is perfectly clear and is made not to yellow.

How did that work out?  Are you happy with it?  Was it easy to apply?  I'm looking at options for my SW cabinet because that plexiglass is too reflective.  If I wanted a mirror I'd just buy one!