Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Original Tempest Spinner with RetroPie? - which encoder do you use?  (Read 5295 times)

benarcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 04:59:32 pm
I've been struggling with this problem now for a week - the Ultimarc Mini-PAC that I was using for MAME in Windows works with my Tempest spinner, but it doesn't work in Linux. Andy said he doesn't know why it doesn't work - and didn't have much else to say about it - but in the RetroPie forum, I've read others having a similar problem with this configuration.

Do any of you have an original Tempest spinner running in RetroPie? If so, what encoder are you using?

It's not a RetroPi/RetroArch config issue - it's recognized by the OS as a "mouse" but no signal is detected when spun - as you would expect from a "mouse".

Tx
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:45:02 am by benarcade »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Original Tempest Spinner with RetroPie? - which encoder do you use?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 01:37:04 pm »
Try using a common stable linux distro and see if it works. RetroPie is not the best example to declare something as being broken.

benarcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 03:21:58 pm »
Yeah - I tried that. Actually, I tried Raspi+RetroPie, Raspi+Stretch, PC+Mint (Ubuntu), and PC+Windows. It only works on the PC with Windows. Linux recognizes it when I plug it in and identifies both the Ultimarc keyboard and the "mouse". It shows up in /dev/input/ as mouse0. But when I move the spinner, there's no output detected. I plug it into Windows and it works fine. It's frustrating, because I've been stuck on this roadblock for a week and need to move on to RetroPie configuration.

This is a Mini-PAC from 2013, but I've read that others have had trouble with the I-PAC 2 getting the spinner to work in RetroPie (See this post on RetroPie.org).

benarcade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 10:52:25 am »
Following up on this - I was able to get the Mini-PAC working with RetroPie, and the only thing I can guess as to the solution was that I eventually plugged it in to the Pi as the ONLY controller, then later plugged in the keyboard. I'm able to use the spinner in Tempest, but I have yet to configure it for any other game yet.