Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mamehooker help needed  (Read 9220 times)

vargas14617

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2024, 02:56:54 pm
  • Don't push the Red button! I pushed the Red button
Mamehooker help needed
« on: October 20, 2019, 07:54:24 pm »
I am running windows 8.1 have mamehooker 5.1.  I have mamehooker in the startup menu. I start mame and then I edit current rom INI.  I add code for recoil nothing.  but if I go into test and enter the code then everything works I can go back to mame and I have recoil.  Shut down and restart nothing. I have to start all over again even though there is an INI with code.  nothing works until I go into test.  What am I doing wrong

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Mamehooker help needed
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 11:21:20 pm »
There's a sticky right here in this forum you may want to read. 

vargas14617

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 07:40:30 pm »
this sticky Users of Mamehooker, LEDWiz, LedBlinky and Similar apps Please Read!.  For give my stupidity I did set OSD to windows that allowed it to see mame.  I have set both mamehooker and mame(using groovymame64) to admin rights and set the computer settings to allow programs to make changes.  Mamehooker has been added a short cut to startup folder using !%appdata% and placing it there but windows will not launch at start up.  I am using a USB2GUN pcb and it does not show in the list of supported devices. I have been at this for three days.  I know its something I am missing since if I test the script it works.  So why when I reboot it does not work?
 I just pasted this to the INI at the bottom.
Player 1 Auto-Recoil=ghd 1 &H1AB7 &H6570 8 &h04:&h00:&h01:&h00:&h00:&h00:&h00:&h00
Player 2 Auto-Recoil=ghd 2 &H1AB7 &H6570 8 &h04:&h00:&h01:&h00:&h00:&h00:&h00:&h00
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:03:36 pm by vargas14617 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 09:15:38 pm »
Which game is that ini for?

vargas14617

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 10:49:02 pm »
Area 51 is the game I have been testing.  I think one of the issues is windows 8 does not like to launch from start folder any short cut with admin rights. I am trying to figure that out and I think I found a link on how will try that. Next.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 11:41:58 pm »
Unless I'm mistaken, Area51 doesn't have outputs.  I can't test because I don't have the chds.  Those output names look suspicious..... can't think of anything other than a positional gun game that would have output names like that and I added the bulk of the gun game outputs to mame personally. 

vargas14617

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 06:49:05 am »
Let me step back. I am trying to add recoil to gun games using mamehooker to activate the recoil. You helped jollywest do this a few years ago.  Using the usb2gun pcb.  In simplest form I want to get mamehooker to turn on recoil when the trigger is pulled.  Am I going about this all wrong?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 04:42:44 pm »
I think you misunderstand what mamehooker does.  It does exactly like the name states... it "hooks" mame... it doesn't add anything to it.  Certain games in mame have outputs hooked up... this has nothing to do with mamehooker and it's done at the driver level.  Mamehooker has the ability to hook mame and communicate with it, thus allowing games with outputs hooked up to control hardware via scripts.  Each individual game has it's own unique outputs (if any) and you'll need to fill out the ini file for each game you wish to control. 

Area 51 doesn't have outputs (I checked the manual) so there isn't anything to control..... I'm not sure where you got those output names from in that example you posted.  Follow the tutorial on my site and it'll help you out.  Mamehooker will let you bind a function to a keyboard keypress, but that's about the extent of controlling things without proper outputs. 

You might possibly be able to add some memory captures via troubleshooter 2, but that's a whole other bag of worms. 

If I helped jollywest in any significant way I don't really have much of a memory of it.  You might want to contact him. 

vargas14617

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 08:45:38 pm »
This is the post I was following  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,138723.40.html.  What you said makes sense.  I just trying to understand how and what I add to the ini file to make it so when I push button one/trigger it recoils.  Mamehooker does not see the USB2GUN PCB.  I am just sending a Generic HID.  I am trying to figure out how to make it that so when I launch mamehooker then mame and the game mamehooker will kick in and recoil will work.  right now I have to place the script in the test function for it to work but that stops working once I reboot.  So I know there is something I am missing.  I am not that tech smart so please bear with me.   

Jollywest

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:26:17 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 03:26:13 pm »
I've attached my MameHooker folder from my setup.
Check out the default.ini file inside the .ini folder, it looks like you need to put that command you posted above into the MAME-Start section.
MAME games without outputs will use this option, MAME games with outputs can be configured individually with different commands ie. autofire.
I just have a MameHooker.exe shortcut file in my startup folder and it starts up automatically with Windows. 

vargas14617

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 09:06:47 pm »
 :cheers:  That did it works perfectly. If you are ever in upstate NY I owe you a pint.   Now on to xpadder and  JoystickMouseTool.  Would you mind sharing those profiles?

Jollywest

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:26:17 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 01:24:42 am »
I never used Xpadder in the end.
JoystickMouseTool will only get player 1 working, I’ll get you my setup files later but you might want to try DemulShooter instead to get both guns working. When I get chance at some point I’ll be doing the same.

vargas14617

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 07:37:50 am »
Thanks.  How did you handle off screen reload if you did not use xpadder?