Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Converting NES games to Playchoice-10 or Vs games to work with Coin-Op  (Read 3622 times)

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
Essentially what I'm looking to do is convert NES Roms to work within MAME and requiring the use of coins / quarters. Converting them to say PC-10 or Nintendo VS. games. What's the easiest way of converting a NES to PC10 using COIN / Quarters within MAME ?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
Re: Converting NES games to Playchoice-10 or Vs games to work with Coin-Op
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 10:32:52 pm »
When looking at a MAME pc10 .zip file (I'll use SMB as an example) it has the following:
security 1kb
u1sm - 26kb Guessing Program ?!
u2sm - 5kb Guessing Graphics ?!
u3sm - 4kb Guessing Game Name ?!

presumably Program Graphics Game Name ?

I've been playing around a little bit, and so far I'm able to convert a random .nes ROM to 3 files using a NES Mapper Reader / Rom Fixer / Rom Splitter Program to the following three files :

[gametitle].nes.prg.bin 32kb
[gametitle].nes.chr.bin 32kb
[gametitle].nes.bin 64kb

How can I utilize those three files and .zip them and have MAME recognize my own custom game to appear within the PC-10 game choice menu / or have it work as a custom VS Nintendo game ?

MAME doesn't seem to like what I did with creating my own .zip and had many checksum errors. Any one successfully complete this ?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 10:59:57 pm by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 08:45:03 am »
In order for some NES game to work with the Coin-Op bit of the PC10, you'd need to disassemble the ROM and re-write part of the code to even handle accepting the 'coin added' signal from the PC10, as well as logic to lockout starting the game until credits are added.  Similarly you'll need to compile a new custom version of MAME to recognize the game.

This is already a non-trivial task, and if you don't already know 6502 Assembly, it's even more uphill.

You would probably have an easier time achieving a similar effect by writing some changing the "start" button input in an NES emulator to a different key, then writing an AutoHotKey script that waits for coins to be added, and then when you hit the normal start button, send the alternative button you've defined in the emulator.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 01:31:45 pm »
Or, you know, don't try to profit from games and just enjoy them. 

mrclean

• Offline Offline
    • Guscade
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 07:25:35 pm »
I've come across this site :

https://www.pc-10.com/games.html

where they list customized conversion NES to Playchoice for running on actual hardware... They say what game pc-10 carts you can use... but one of which shows : **Requires changing V solder pad (SL2)** Again looking to achieve this in MAME possible ?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke