Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Defender Cocktail problems  (Read 5094 times)

Jszekeres

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2019, 06:32:40 pm
  • Arcades and pinball
Defender Cocktail problems
« on: October 18, 2019, 10:12:13 am »
I recently acquired a Defender Cocktail arcade.  Right now I am having 2 issues.  It was working fine but this problem happened yesterday.   When I start a 1 player game, the screen is flipped the wrong way and the controls are working for player one.  If I start a 2 player game player one is flipped wrong  and player 2 is fine and the controls do switch sides on the game correctly.   So it seems something is causing my game display to be stuck on player two.  The theory manual says the screen control is what does this flipping.  However I do not know where to start looking on the PCB. 

The second problem is when I power on the game I get vertical lines on the screen. Then if I remove and reinstall the connector IJ3 a couple of times it then boots up correctly.  I saw that someone posted this exact same problem 6 years ago and nobody answered his post. The game does have a newer power supply that looks like it was pulled out of an old computer maybe.  The voltages on it seem ok.   

I will attach a screen grab of the old post with my problem.

Anyway any help would be much appreciated. 

Thank you.  Joe

Jszekeres

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2019, 06:32:40 pm
  • Arcades and pinball
Re: Defender Cocktail problems
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 04:04:39 pm »
I have solved both problems.  I looked at the schematic and it showed the SCREEN CONTROL line.  Since I knew this was where the problem probably was based on the Theory manual I began to check some levels.
The screen control was coming from the IC 5B as labeled on the schematic.  This IC is a 7404, Hex Inverter.  The input for the Screen Control is pin 9 and it was HIGH.  The output was at 1.88vdc .  Seems to be floating.  I grounded the output pin (8) and the video screen on the game flipped.   I also tested the input pin 9 in a 2 player game.  on player 1, it would go HIGH and on player 2 it would go low.  So this is the signal that tells the circuits to flip the screen.    Anyway I replaced 5B and it fixed the problem.  It also fixed my other problem as well as a third problem.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone someday.

Thanks

Joe    :burgerking: