Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Weird vertical line compression issues  (Read 4510 times)

mrchrister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 11:25:55 am
Weird vertical line compression issues
« on: October 17, 2019, 04:49:33 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm running Groovymame 0.214 on a Sanyo 20EZ in an original DK cabinet. Because the colors are inverted, I'm using a Nintendo Edge to Jamma adapter that amplifies sound and inverts colors.
I'm trying to make my mame games look as good as the original PCB and it definitely does look great in terms of colors.

To switch from original PCB to Groovymame, I do the following:
- Plug in Nintendo Edge to Jamma Inverter Board
- Plug into JPAC
- Change Brightness Pot from Min to Max
- Connect sound cable

What's not looking right is horizontal lines appear squished somehow (see photos). The "I" and "T" in CREDIT look too thin and have a dot on top, very strange.
I'm running super resolutions. DK3 has a resolution of 256x224 which I'm running at 2560x224 through switchres/groovy.

Things I've tried:
- Try different resolutions (240p,256p...) It looks somehow better in 480i but I definitely don't want to run it interlaced.
- Try different Jamma adapter. I have one of these old parrallel port adapters. Result: Screen doesn't look bright enough but line spacing seems a lot better.

Do you guys have any ideas what else to try. My goal is to have groovymame look as good as original hardware. Right now unfortunately it's not quite there yet..

Original PCB:

JPAC:

OLD JAMMA ADAPTER:

The line squishing is a lot more apparent in person than on the photo

fuchi_jeg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2023, 11:11:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Weird vertical line compression issues
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 12:15:56 pm »
Sometimes I get that type of vertical lines when I've messed with the  stretch in the mame menu. I find that anything over 10% stretch will look similar. Check your video options in the in game mame menu and try stretching or shrinking the screen to eliminate the lines.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:25:19 am by fuchi_jeg »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 12:42:15 pm »
Is filter off ?

edit: iirc it's only completely off is you put filter 0 in vertical.ini & horizont.ini
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:50:40 pm by schmerzkaufen »

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 01:08:22 pm »
To me it looks like your blue is bleeding and making the letters look squished.  Try turning down the blue gun on neck board and see what happens.

mrchrister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 11:25:55 am
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 05:47:37 pm »
Hey guys,
I figured out what it was. The analogue color inverter on the Nintendo edge to Jamma adapter messes too much with the signal. Not only do you need to crank the brightness a lot but it also was responsible for the vertical line compression.

I just got a new Nintendo edge to Jamma adapter that doesn't invert colors and it looks great now, except for... well, being inverted!
I've been trying for hours now..  it's easy to change windows to be inverted but GroovyMame doesn't want to comply...

Any way to invert color through graphics driver by chance or through mame?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 05:49:27 pm by mrchrister »