Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: More than 2 lightguns?  (Read 5681 times)

fireslayer26

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2022, 09:21:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
More than 2 lightguns?
« on: October 16, 2019, 05:02:09 pm »
Would there be any issue with have up to 4 light guns on the same system? Like 2 aimtrak handguns and 2 shotgun style guns with aimtrak "guts" for hunting games.

Thanks

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: More than 2 lightguns?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 03:29:39 am »
No it will work, But you will have a right headache setting all the ID’s etc in windows lol

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 10:54:51 am »
There aren't too many gun games that are for 4 players. If the aim is to use the right type of gun for each game then I suggest using different types of guns. I.e. Get two fixed arcade directional guns for directional games like Op Thunderbolt and T2 (which can be wired to a pc using a single Apac. Then use a pair of Aimtraks for arcades that used light guns or IR guns.

fireslayer26

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 11:21:16 am »
I'm building a cabinet for a customer and he wanted 2 regular guns for most shooting games, but also wanted 2 shotguns for hunting games. No 4 person shooters.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 12:49:07 pm »
Ah. People after my own heart. I also like to use the right type of gun for each game. I currently have 27 gun controllers with a range of fixed (positional guns) IR guns and real light guns. It makes the experience more arcade-like.

From memory, it states that you can use up to four aimtraks on one machine so it should be possible to put two aimtrak modules in happ arcade shotgun shells and leave two as pistols. If they really like shooting games though, I would advise them to put a PS2 in the cab instead (or as well as). The PS2 is unrivaled in this genre. No other platform even comes close in terms of the quality of titles and availability of low cost high quality light guns. The official Namco Guncon 2 is head and shoulders above any other home light gun.

If it has to be Aimtraks and they are using a flatscreen, it is worth noting that the Amtrak software allows you to set each gun up as either a mouse or analog joystick. If you have problems related to setting all four up as a mouse, you could try switching two of them to work as analog sticks. This is better for fixed gun games (like T2) anyway.

Do you know which gun shells you'll use yet?

fireslayer26

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 04:37:07 pm »
As far as the shotgun style, I really didn't know what would work best? Are there any that could make the pump action work?

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 06:49:05 pm »
There are lots of options for pump-action rifles depending on the budget, the gun tech and other requirements like recoil (which most pump-action arcade guns do not have). Raw Thrills guns like this are easily available and are at the cheaper end:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Raw-Thrills-Big-Buck-Hunter-Pro-Arcade-Game-Shotgun-Gun-Assembly-Green/181455539201?epid=2246983621&hash=item2a3f97cc01:g:pSoAAOSwyKZdp~JJ

If you intend to use all Aimtrak modules, their electronics are small and can probably be made to fit in most arcade rifle shells (with a little dremel work). If there is not enough room for the Aimtrak module, you can remove the camera and install that in the arcade gun shell with wires running to the Aimtrak PCB.

The two arcade rifles I use most in my set-up is a pair of Terraburst recoil guns converted to Guncon 2. Those shells definitely have room for an Aimtrak but they are more assault rifle than deer gun.

If they don't have to match, there are any number of used arcade shotguns on ebay too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Raw-Thrills-Big-Buck-Hunter-Pro-Arcade-Game-Shotgun-Gun-Assembly-Green/181455539201?epid=2246983621&hash=item2a3f97cc01:g:pSoAAOSwyKZdp~JJ

or, if you're a little more creative, you can convert a pump-action airsoft shotgun.