Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: makvision monitor Anode cable question  (Read 2356 times)

4evervintage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2019, 04:56:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
makvision monitor Anode cable question
« on: October 14, 2019, 05:11:15 pm »
Hi to all. I am recapping a makvision monitor and have accidently damaged the anode cable from the flyback to the tube. It occurred about four inches from the flyback itself. It is a clean cut now. Question is can I solder patch the wire and secure it enough with multi layering shrink tube or can it be replaced from the flyback completely? Not really familiar with this particular problem and any feedback would be appreciated. I have thought if I take 2 wire connectors remove the metal insert solder the wire and encapsulate it in the connectors and heat shrink over it that would do the trick. Maybe a solution ?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 05:32:01 pm by 4evervintage »

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: makvision monitor Anode cable question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 01:03:21 am »
I've never run across a way to replace it, and thankfully have never needed to. I have cut and resoldered a focus voltage lead because i had no other option. I think those are ~8kV? I used four layers of 600V heatshrink and it worked fine. The flyback lead is another level above. In theory what you suggest should work, you could even work out some silicone potting, just be prepared for it to fail when you turn it on and be ready to turn it off again. And if it appears to work, run your discharge lead over the outside of the cable and the join while the CRT is powered on to make doubly sure - making sure to protect yourself, of course.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:12 am
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 03:06:26 am »
does the cable still easily reach the anode?
if so just refix the clip there- otherwise replace the flyback

princess prin prin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:18:15 am
  • intrinsically safe
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 12:17:12 pm »
If it's not the kind of lead that can be disconnected at the flyback, you'll need to encapsulate the solder joint in a potting storage box filled with potting compound.

4evervintage

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2019, 04:56:18 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 05:47:19 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. The anode clip will still reach. I did see a flyback available for it. When the cap kit installation is complete I think I will do a better job of encapsulating the wire and add silicone over the wire inside of plastic housing like a pen housing and heat shrink multiple layers over that. If everything works I will step up and replace the flyback. This will give me a chance to see if the monitor is still working. It worked prior to failure a week ago. Needed to warm up.