Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WG K7193 issue with pics.  (Read 1694 times)

jangelj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 10:21:45 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
WG K7193 issue with pics.
« on: October 08, 2019, 02:07:58 pm »
I acquired a Golden Tee 2k with a GWK7193 in it. The game doesn’t work, so I’m MAMEing it.  I bought it for the caninet, and it had this monitor in it, so I figured I’d try to use it. I do not know if the monitor works.

I built a PC with MAME and have games in it. I bought a GBS-8100 to convert vga to crt.

This cabinet did not have an isolation transformer, so I put one in, and hooked the 8100 and PC up and fired it up for the first time. The monitor turns on, but barely displays a picture. And that’s with brightness turned most of the way up.

In the attached pic you can see a very faint windows desktop and the 8100s menu overlay. So it’s getting a signal, but looks terrible.

This is my first arcade game, and I know very little about them, but am willing to learn.  I know I can get a LCD, but the thought of playing on a crt really appeals to me (if possible).

The other pic is of the chassis. Notice the white around the caps?  Is that the likely issue and would replacing all the capacitors likely fix it? 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 05:18:53 pm by jangelj »

MKFan4Life

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 08:18:00 am
  • My arcade machines...
Re: WG K7193 issue with pics.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 04:50:47 am »
Know this is old, but if you're like me, sometimes projects get shelved a while.

That converter you're using had a PDF online I glanced at. It stated:
"Question: Screen has black areas, or the screen is very dark to almost black.
Answer: Adjust the "Clamp sp" and "Clamp st" settings. Keep the "Clamp st" lower than "Clamp sp"

Also, when I installed an ArcadeVGA card into the PC for my MAME cabinet, I seem to recall it states that some arcade monitors would need the signal boosted. I got lucky using a WG K7400, and it supposedly takes as low as 1 Volt video input signal.

I believe ALL Wells Gardner monitors are supposed to be able to accept this low of a signal, so I wouldn't think this is your problem. BUT, I couldn't find the output signal power of the converter you're using, so you could look into this product if you think the signal needs boosting: https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-vga-and-video/arcadevga-accessories/arcade-monitor-video-amplifier/

Also, that white gunk glopped at the bottom of your capacitors holding them to the PCB is from the factory to strengthen the connection. If it's unbroken (hard to see in your pic) it's basically a tell-tale sign your chassis has NEVER been recapped before, as most people would simply scrape it off when they install the new caps. So, it's not leaking electrolyte.

Good luck.

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
Re: WG K7193 issue with pics.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 12:04:25 pm »
Know this is old, but if you're like me, sometimes projects get shelved a while.

That converter you're using had a PDF online I glanced at. It stated:
"Question: Screen has black areas, or the screen is very dark to almost black.
Answer: Adjust the "Clamp sp" and "Clamp st" settings. Keep the "Clamp st" lower than "Clamp sp"

Also, when I installed an ArcadeVGA card into the PC for my MAME cabinet, I seem to recall it states that some arcade monitors would need the signal boosted. I got lucky using a WG K7400, and it supposedly takes as low as 1 Volt video input signal.

I believe ALL Wells Gardner monitors are supposed to be able to accept this low of a signal, so I wouldn't think this is your problem. BUT, I couldn't find the output signal power of the converter you're using, so you could look into this product if you think the signal needs boosting: https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade-vga-and-video/arcadevga-accessories/arcade-monitor-video-amplifier/

Also, that white gunk glopped at the bottom of your capacitors holding them to the PCB is from the factory to strengthen the connection. If it's unbroken (hard to see in your pic) it's basically a tell-tale sign your chassis has NEVER been recapped before, as most people would simply scrape it off when they install the new caps. So, it's not leaking electrolyte.

Good luck.

By the looks of it this chassis has been capped but with low quality caps (e.g. Bob Roberts style caps).  But that probably isn't going to cause the display issue here.  You can adjust brightness/black level in three places on a 7000.  The remote board has contrast and brightness and the flyback has a screen control (brightness).  Sometimes it takes some fiddling to get these levels correct.  Also color balancing the pots on the neck board may help.  To me, this just looks like it's out of adjustment.