Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone make a replacement MVS6 Credit display?  (Read 11821 times)

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Anyone make a replacement MVS6 Credit display?
« on: October 06, 2019, 11:39:43 am »
Evening, 

I have a project in the works (Although project is happening very slowly) to recreate an MVS-6 Big Red Neo Geo, It will be built with vertical Display and will Run mame from PC.
Part of what I would like to do is have working credit displays, So basically I need a 2 digit 7 segment display that can interact with the credit in and start buttons to count up and down.

I have seen a number of people selling replacement credit boards but I assume they get all their data from the Neo Board itself and I need them to be self contained.

I have found the following from malaysia which I will get a friend to order a couple of as he has family over there,  I figure at the cost they are if I can't make it do what I want then I'll find something else to do with them.

https://www.mybotic.com.my/products/MB-09-2-Digits-Counter-Up-Hobby-Kit/2081

The Immediate issues with this device are that it runs from PP9 battery (No great shakes, I can drop 12v down to 9). It's more that it only has count up and reset.  Ideally I want it to have increase/decrease and not just reset to 0.

So anyone made anything similar? I'm not brilliant with a soldering iron due to the shakes so Ideally something premade would be nice, or a plan I can send to someone to make up for me. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Anyone make a replacement MVS6 Credit display?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 01:54:56 pm »

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 09:38:40 pm »
Interesting. Any details on how you intend to make this work? I am a neo geo mame guy too.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 04:09:03 pm »
Interesting. Any details on how you intend to make this work? I am a neo geo mame guy too.

Fairly simple really I want the counter to go up when I put in a token or press a credit button, and then I want it to go down when I press start to start a game :)
Ideally I want to find a counter that uses the same active high or active low as whatever I use for the controls (It will not be a zero delay, I know that much).

The only thing I haven't really got around to is finding out what I need to do to make sure that there is no cross voltage from the counters board to the controller board.  I'm fairly sure there is something out there to take care of that though :)

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 05:39:16 am »

Fairly simple really I want the counter to go up when I put in a token or press a credit button, and then I want it to go down when I press start to start a game :)
Ideally I want to find a counter that uses the same active high or active low as whatever I use for the controls (It will not be a zero delay, I know that much).

The only thing I haven't really got around to is finding out what I need to do to make sure that there is no cross voltage from the counters board to the controller board.  I'm fairly sure there is something out there to take care of that though :)

How will this work if you are using a front end? Or do you intend on using mame neogeo loading multiple roms like a multislot feature?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 02:13:09 pm »
In reality the credit counters are not going to care about the front end. They will just count up when Token inserted or credit button is pressed and then count down when start is pressed. This will happen regardless of system being played. If the emulator requires coining up to play then counter should work OK.  Console games will obviously never count up because you would never enter a credit.

I guess if I wanted to be really really fancy I could get someone to do something with an arduinio so that the counters only come on when Specific Neo Geo Emulator is running. I probably wont go that far though.

But to keep with the theme I will probably set the system up to boot to a Neo Geo Themed Frontend with all the playable NeoGeo games selectable. As you go through the games the active marquee monitor would change the 6 games shown in the mini marquee and the selected one would move to the left or right and look illuminated.  I can see it being a massive undertaking to do but I figure if I create a template its just the Mini Marquee images I will need to resize etc :) And as I'm not going to be building it for a while I have plenty of time to mess about with artwork and setup.

keilmillerjr

• Offline Offline
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 06:49:31 am »
In reality the credit counters are not going to care about the front end. They will just count up when Token inserted or credit button is pressed and then count down when start is pressed. This will happen regardless of system being played. If the emulator requires coining up to play then counter should work OK.  Console games will obviously never count up because you would never enter a credit.

I guess if I wanted to be really really fancy I could get someone to do something with an arduinio so that the counters only come on when Specific Neo Geo Emulator is running. I probably wont go that far though.

But to keep with the theme I will probably set the system up to boot to a Neo Geo Themed Frontend with all the playable NeoGeo games selectable. As you go through the games the active marquee monitor would change the 6 games shown in the mini marquee and the selected one would move to the left or right and look illuminated.  I can see it being a massive undertaking to do but I figure if I create a template its just the Mini Marquee images I will need to resize etc :) And as I'm not going to be building it for a while I have plenty of time to mess about with artwork and setup.

I have created two attractmode themes. Mvscomplete and picknmix (unibios). Thought about a second monitor for minis. It wouldnt be hard for me to program, but my @ss is too broke.

Zipper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 12:32:50 pm
  • I've Built My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 12:05:28 pm »

I did it a couple years back..

... does the marquees too..

... and popped it in a cab..

Edit - also used Pi rather than a PC a few threads back: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160579.0.html

I put the build details here if you want to have a go... https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35743
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:18:45 pm by Zipper »

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 03:41:42 pm »
Sweet, I'll go have a good read of that, then probably get a bit lost in the site for a while   :P