Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

-- deleted poll --

-- deleted poll --
0 (0%)
-- deleted poll --
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: GUN4IR - The Ultimate 4 Points Lightgun System  (Read 397134 times)

Marsupial

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:00:56 pm
  • I am teh Mars!
Re: GUN4IR - The Ultimate 4 Points Lightgun System
« Reply #840 on: July 11, 2021, 10:39:35 pm »
On this same topic was talking to ray at rpeg, and he mentioned my above post is currently possible with a mode button. Unfortunately my aimtrak does not have a mode button.

It would be awesome if we could assign a hotkey like on aimtrak to do certain things. I know i could set it so if i press A and B buttons and hold them for 10 seconds pointed off screen it would trigger calibration.

Just be cool for something like that, one other really good use for it would be instead of requiring a physical mode button on the gun, if we could just use the buttons available to us, and if we could also switch reload modes on the fly. Some games require shot in corner, some i set offscreen to the reload button (house of the dead 2). So if could set some combination of buttons on my gun to switch reload modes.
I'd like if we could remap buttons. Would solve things like that.
-Mars

sonik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 10:52:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #841 on: July 13, 2021, 09:45:06 am »
Hi @JayBee

Since I can't even find now a df robot camera to buy I've got a wiimote to serve as a donner.

Went to the github page to find the instructions but can't find the PDF anymore. It's been moved?

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #842 on: July 13, 2021, 11:49:23 pm »
Check in the download firmware section in github
-Mars

sonik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 10:52:59 am
« Reply #843 on: July 14, 2021, 07:59:50 am »
Check in the download firmware section in github

Got it. Thanks.

Montell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2022, 02:51:48 am
« Reply #844 on: July 14, 2021, 10:48:24 pm »
Ray at rpeg is going to do some more mods to my gun, he is going to add a mode button so i can switch reload modes for games (reload button or shot in corner) and rumble when i reload so the gun has feedback when i reload, after that i think im done.

I also received ray's dual pedals today for time crisis, very fun. Especially time crisis 5.

I think the only thing I personally need from this system and software is being able to remap buttons when pointed off screen like aimtrak. I had it setup on aimtrak so when i pointed offscreen my two red buttons on the left and right added coins and started the game. I play some games sitting or i simply have to be away from my cab for the sensors to pick up the gun, it sucks when i die and have to continue I move back to the cab adding more coins, and hitting start, then going back to my position.

If that could be added i think I will have everything i need. Being able to point the gun off screen and having my two red buttons act as start and coin when pointed off screen just made things that much smoother and easier. When i died, just point my gun down, hit the red right button on my gun for coin, and the red left button for start.

Really happy so far. Everything else about it trumps my aimtrak, and i certainly am happy i cancelled my sinden preorder, cant imagine dealing with white boarders and the software constantly running in the background.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 10:50:30 pm by Montell »

2knuckels

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2021, 03:35:35 am
« Reply #845 on: July 15, 2021, 02:35:46 am »
I have upgraded my guns with the fisheye, and in my opinion its a gamechanger, as with the lense suggested 1 page earlier, you can get really close to the screen (eg. 32"  screen and approx. 50cm minimum).
Everyone building the guns should consider this upgrade (the 180 degree lens works without any loss pf precision ( installation is easy as the IR is 18mm and the lens is 17mm -> just print a tube and snap both in)
Happy shooting

Gobbicus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2021, 02:35:17 pm
« Reply #846 on: July 18, 2021, 09:48:30 pm »
I made a donation to get access to the files but I did it before creating this account but I did use the same email as I did to make the donation,  can I still get access to the files for assembling the gun4ir?

Gobbicus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2021, 02:35:17 pm
« Reply #847 on: July 19, 2021, 10:26:03 am »
Could the recoil on the aliexpress time crisis 4 clone work? I'm trying to find a gun shell to use with the gun4ir that has slide action recoil but all of the super jolts guns I see cost 250 dollars one ebay  :'(   Anyone know of any other guns that have slide action recoil?

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2023, 04:32:47 am
« Reply #848 on: August 02, 2021, 03:42:16 am »
Built my first gun last night

can you make ones for anyone in the UK, rpegelectronics only does US.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:36:32 pm
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #849 on: August 02, 2021, 05:54:01 am »
Ray at rpeg is going to do some more mods to my gun, he is going to add a mode button so i can switch reload modes for games (reload button or shot in corner) and rumble when i reload so the gun has feedback when i reload, after that i think im done.

I also received ray's dual pedals today for time crisis, very fun. Especially time crisis 5.

I think the only thing I personally need from this system and software is being able to remap buttons when pointed off screen like aimtrak. I had it setup on aimtrak so when i pointed offscreen my two red buttons on the left and right added coins and started the game. I play some games sitting or i simply have to be away from my cab for the sensors to pick up the gun, it sucks when i die and have to continue I move back to the cab adding more coins, and hitting start, then going back to my position.

If that could be added i think I will have everything i need. Being able to point the gun off screen and having my two red buttons act as start and coin when pointed off screen just made things that much smoother and easier. When i died, just point my gun down, hit the red right button on my gun for coin, and the red left button for start.

Really happy so far. Everything else about it trumps my aimtrak, and i certainly am happy i cancelled my sinden preorder, cant imagine dealing with white boarders and the software constantly running in the background.
You can already remap it. It's bound to the reload button that is remappable like every other buttons.
In the next firmware will also bring more options.

Could the recoil on the aliexpress time crisis 4 clone work? I'm trying to find a gun shell to use with the gun4ir that has slide action recoil but all of the super jolts guns I see cost 250 dollars one ebay  :'(   Anyone know of any other guns that have slide action recoil?
It does work yes, several of us already modded a TC4 gun.

Selling the gun without authorization and proper licensing is strictly prohibited and will result in legal action against the seller.
User license are for personal use only.
If you want to buy a gun in EU contact Gustavo, from the link in my GitHub.

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #850 on: August 02, 2021, 07:16:45 pm »
ah, i see it now, it was not made clear, he doesn't have a website or anything like the other person does.

I have sent him an e-mail.

ar008

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2021, 09:31:37 pm
« Reply #851 on: August 02, 2021, 11:28:50 pm »
Hi!JayBee

I'm from Hong Kong and try to donations for GUI licenses fee, but the Paypal show ( Donations to this recipient aren't supported in this country ), can you provide other ways for the donations?thx!

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #852 on: August 03, 2021, 02:20:44 am »
Hi!JayBee

I'm from Hong Kong and try to donations for GUI licenses fee, but the Paypal show ( Donations to this recipient aren't supported in this country ), can you provide other ways for the donations?thx!
Sorry, licensing isn't working for most Asian countries right now. I don't know when it will be restored. But the upcoming gun kit will be easier to get.

Moksi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2024, 11:15:40 am
« Reply #853 on: August 03, 2021, 09:35:38 am »
im interested too , now anybody that is going to build his could post some pictures how to etc. could motivave me & others, because ordering parts without electronics knowledge its hard

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #854 on: August 03, 2021, 09:50:05 am »
im interested too , now anybody that is going to build his could post some pictures how to etc. could motivave me & others, because ordering parts without electronics knowledge its hard
You can find all those info and more in my Discord server  ;)

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #855 on: August 03, 2021, 09:57:31 pm »
is there anyway to make Gun4IR work with 2 screens, 1 for 4:3, the other for 16:9.

for example time crisis 2 goes to 4:3, time crisis 5 goes to 16:9 screen, pc is hooked up to both.

maybe a 2nd set of LEDs?

im not interested in just 1 monitor for both aspet ratios, pillarboxing 4:3 into 16:9, i don't like grey-light leakage.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #856 on: August 03, 2021, 11:41:41 pm »
is there anyway to make Gun4IR work with 2 screens, 1 for 4:3, the other for 16:9.

for example time crisis 2 goes to 4:3, time crisis 5 goes to 16:9 screen, pc is hooked up to both.

maybe a 2nd set of LEDs?

im not interested in just 1 monitor for both aspet ratios, pillarboxing 4:3 into 16:9, i don't like grey-light leakage.
It is possible if only one 4 LEDs system is active at a time, or else it's impossible for the cam to know what is what.
And you need to activate only one screen at a time as well if you don't want any issue.
But please if you need more support, join the discord server, it's way easier to help users from there. And it also has tons of resources if needed.

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #857 on: August 03, 2021, 11:59:29 pm »
ok i will look into the discord server.

yes only 1 screen at a time will be active, maybe possible with monitor software, but will your software know which set of LED's to use, maybe it would if it just uses the active monitor.

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #858 on: August 04, 2021, 12:02:26 am »
ok i will look into the discord server.

yes only 1 screen at a time will be active, maybe possible with monitor software, but will your software know which set of LED's to use, maybe it would if it just uses the active monitor.
The camera sees the LEDs. The camera doesn't see the monitor.

If you want the system to work, you need the camera to only see the 4leds for the monitor you are pointing at.

Put a switch on your leds
-Mars

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #859 on: August 04, 2021, 06:29:02 am »
ah so there is no way to do it automatically, maybe it can be setup on the pc via autohotkeys script, when i select the game a hardware switch automatially switches off the 4:3 LEDs, and swithes on the 16:9 LEDs., on game quit it switches reverses this.

Pegafun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 03:12:07 pm
« Reply #860 on: August 04, 2021, 06:34:06 am »
You can automate it with a USB Relay and an script. A few months ago I wrote this tutorial that can be of your interest.

https://insertmorecoins.es/foro/rocketlauncher/(tutorial)-automatizar-el-encendidoapagado-de-leds-con-un-rele-usb-y-rocketlaun/

The idea is similar.

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #861 on: August 04, 2021, 09:37:47 am »
can you not simply extend the LEDs to make a 2390x768   3.1:1 aspect ratio

then no fiddiling around with it.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #862 on: August 04, 2021, 09:44:18 am »
can you not simply extend the LEDs to make a 2390x768   3.1:1 aspect ratio

then no fiddiling around with it.
That's not how it works, the LEDs has to match the screen displaying the content. There is no way around it, that's the only way my system can have a aim of sight accuracy.
If you go that way you're better off with a wiimote or aimtrak.
But we already told you what solutions you can use  ;)
Btw if your only issue is grey light leakage you can just get an OLED screen as well.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:46:43 am by JayBee »

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #863 on: August 04, 2021, 10:14:21 am »
I can't confirm if they are perfect black or not so i will have to do that 1st but they are too large and expensive anyway.

ok so i need to use a switcher, i will look into that.

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #864 on: August 05, 2021, 09:00:19 am »
would it be possible to play 2 player time crisis 2/3 by stretchign the image across 2 4:3 displays, making a 2.66 aspect ratio, it goes anamorphic naturally.

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #865 on: August 05, 2021, 09:11:48 am »
would it be possible to play 2 player time crisis 2/3 by stretchign the image across 2 4:3 displays, making a 2.66 aspect ratio, it goes anamorphic naturally.
No
-Mars

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #866 on: August 05, 2021, 09:21:22 am »
No.

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #867 on: August 05, 2021, 09:32:34 am »
ok thanks for that information, im not sure why that wouldn't be possible as does it not work with 2 player single screen 1.33 or 1.78 currently, why can't the screen be 2.66, you are telling me a 2.37 screen wouldn't work.

as i understand 2 player is being worked on with an adapter, once finished why not a single wider screen.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #868 on: August 05, 2021, 09:50:00 am »
ok thanks for that information, im not sure why that wouldn't be possible as does it not work with 2 player single screen 1.33 or 1.78 currently, why can't the screen be 2.66, you are telling me a 2.37 screen wouldn't work.

as i understand 2 player is being worked on with an adapter, once finished why not a single wider screen.
I don't think you understand how this system work.
It's not like a wiimote or an aimtrak, it is using the 4 LEDs as point of reference to make the native aim of sight accuracy. Leds need to be centered with the game area.
2 players already work, even 3-4 players work, but with ONE game area, ONE game at a time.

You could of course stretch the game on 2 screens, but then you'd need the game image to be centered, and have the screen borders in the middle of the screen. You're better off using a 16:9 screen in that case.
I understand here your goal is to use only one of the screens when using 4:3 games.
But as we said before, it WILL NOT work.

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #869 on: August 05, 2021, 09:59:29 am »
I'm begining to understand now, could you not have a permanent setup for it, so you don't go back to a single 4:3 screen, just have 2 guns working on a 'phantom' 2.66  screen for 2 player time crisis only?

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #870 on: August 05, 2021, 10:28:27 am »
If you have two screens mirroring each other, not visible from the other gun, you can have two screens.

Otherwise, gun systems are tied to a single, fixed screen. That's the nature of using a pistol as a pointing device.

At the arcades, to get two player games, you either had one screen two players, or two machines linked together. Same limitation still applies.
-Mars

Montell

• Offline Offline
« Reply #871 on: August 22, 2021, 11:21:56 pm »
Ray at rpeg is adding a "mode" button for me, can the end user map what this button can do? Or would ray need to do that? Im not sure where i can find in depth details on the mode button.

I want to be able to use the mode button to toggle reload modes (none, shot in corner, reload button, ect..)

As far as i can tell he just needs the mode button and then looks like holding the mode button and trigger will change reload modes?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 11:41:28 pm by Montell »

Montell

• Offline Offline
« Reply #872 on: August 22, 2021, 11:47:00 pm »

You can already remap it. It's bound to the reload button that is remappable like every other buttons.
In the next firmware will also bring more options.

It does work yes, several of us already modded a TC4 gun.

Selling the gun without authorization and proper licensing is strictly prohibited and will result in legal action against the seller.
User license are for personal use only.
If you want to buy a gun in EU contact Gustavo, from the link in my GitHub.

Just to clarify regarding my comment, my wish and I think you said it will be in the next firmware, is to remap buttons when pointed off screen. On aimtrak when im pointed off screen the reload button or right click for instance will output 1 (start) and middle click or the red button on the right of an aimtrak will output (5) or coin, this is when its pointed off screen. When pointed On screen some games require those buttons for other functions in the game. But when i point it off screen, it essentially acts like a totally different button.

So basically an aimtrak the red button on the left will reload or send a right click when pointed on screen, when i point the gun down, or off screen and press it, it will output (1) or start. Sinden software also has on screen mappings and offscreen mappings for every button. Its the only thing missing imo. Otherwise everything works great.

https://static.miraheze.org/sindenlightgunwiki/thumb/5/56/Button_Assignments_tab.jpg/1500px-Button_Assignments_tab.jpg
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 11:51:21 pm by Montell »

tlanks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 12:04:35 am
« Reply #873 on: September 25, 2021, 11:47:22 pm »
I have some questions about the  crystal oscillator。According to your PDF, it should be PIN1 - > 3v3   PIN7 - > out pin    PIN14, 8 - > GND.  eBut I checked the Pin diagramof crystal oscillator 。It is different from the PDF you gave.

Please check the pin connection of the crystal oscillator in your PDF diagram

Please give an accurate pin connection diagram. Thank you

« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 12:04:35 am by tlanks »

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #874 on: September 26, 2021, 01:32:45 am »
I have some questions about the  crystal oscillator。According to your PDF, it should be PIN1 - > 3v3   PIN7 - > out pin    PIN14, 8 - > GND.  eBut I checked the Pin diagramof crystal oscillator 。It is different from the PDF you gave.

My pdf diagram is correct, the way you read the pin diagram is wrong.
Check it again, and pay attention to the non rounded corner of the oscillator shell.

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #875 on: September 26, 2021, 08:10:26 am »

Pretty harsh way of asking someone to explain when you fail to read schematics correctly, but ok

The schematics are clearly showing that when seen upside-down instead of Right-side up, the relative position of a same physical pin changes compare to the rest.

See attached an anoted version.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 08:15:13 am by Marsupial »
-Mars

woordmand

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2022, 01:34:09 pm
« Reply #876 on: September 28, 2021, 09:07:40 pm »
Hello, I can't donate because of regional restrictions. Is there any other way to donate? I hope to get a permit.

Arcadista

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2021, 01:09:47 pm
« Reply #877 on: October 03, 2021, 11:02:39 pm »
Hi everyone, I've been gathering the required components to build my guns but now I'm stuck at the licensing process. I can access paypal and choose to donate but get a never ending "please wait" message and can't finish the process.
I would like to contact directly JayBee but can't see a way to send him a private message.
Sorry for using this topic for this.

Greetings from Argentina.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:48:58 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #878 on: October 03, 2021, 11:20:30 pm »
I would like to contact directly JayBee but can't see a way to send him a private message.
Now that your first post is approved, you should be able to send him a PM.   :cheers:

Scott

swiftgti

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2022, 11:31:01 am
« Reply #879 on: October 12, 2021, 10:28:31 am »
Hi all,

My first post here.. just getting into this world as I'm planning on building an arcade setup for my son for xmas!
I've purchased a couple of guncon /gcon45 light guns and plan to mod them using gun4IR, I have a few faulty wiimotes on the way (the IR bit should be fine however).

Could anyone link to the crystal oscillator needed ? - I'm seeing all sorts of different sizes, smd mount etc, and some that are only 3 pins..

Also, has anyone ever made an interface board for gun4ir ? - I was thinking of getting something made via PCBWay that could neatly allow interfacing to wii IR cam, solenoid, leds etc.

And lastly, are there any brands / suppliers to avoid (or aim for) when looking for a solenoid to go in the guncon? - My research leads me to needing a '25N JF-1039' ? which seem to be available on aliexpress for ~£3 + P&P is something like this likely to be OK for light usage?

Sorry for all the question  ;D