Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

-- deleted poll --

-- deleted poll --
0 (0%)
-- deleted poll --
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: GUN4IR - The Ultimate 4 Points Lightgun System  (Read 390912 times)

JayBee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:09:30 am
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
Re: JayBee DIY 4 IR Led Lightgun System (no calibration needed)
« Reply #480 on: March 01, 2020, 07:09:19 am »
* 2020/02/29 - 1.93
- reworked the aiming and detection, to make it faster and better
- fixed some bugs

kill_one

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 01:16:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #481 on: March 02, 2020, 04:36:41 am »
@kill_one just to be sure, the issue you had of the gun which stops working after a while, did it stop working when you use the test app?
If yes it's totally normal since the test app switches the firmware in test mode, and you have to replug the gun to switch back to normal.

no, no test app, it doesn't work if launch processing doesn't move anything, I tried with the new arduino, put 1.75, 1.91, 1.93 same problem, I redid all the wire connections and I'm ok, I noticed that when I point with the room and it works the red led lights up which usually flashes when I press the keys, as long as it works it stays on and if I go off the screen it goes off, it comes back on when I am on the screen again, when the pointing is blocked or stops the pointing remains steadily lit and does not turn off anymore.I don't know what else to do, the flashes of the 1.91 and 1.93 went well without errors and I also tried to clear the memory, everything went smoothly but the problem persists ...
I put the link to a video that I made, it's not very clear but you should see the problem of the fixed LED

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SWdDmG55x3nQ5oGcA

kill_one

• Offline Offline
« Reply #482 on: March 03, 2020, 03:17:22 am »
I took courage and disassembled one of the two finished guns again and tried both the old arduino with the ir chamber of this working and the ir chamber of the gun that does not work with the arduino of the working one, the final result of the same problem. pointing and the old arduino with the other camera is back to work regularly, so the ir camera is the problem! :) I don't know what happened but it is so. Changing the camera now the gun is back to work, I put the firmware 1.93 and cleared the memory and set the monitor to 4: 3 and now it works perfectly, even it was not necessary to calibrate it and it seems much more precise..Now there is is it way to open the dfrobot room to understand if it can be fixed? Maybe rotating the wires of cam has created a false contact internally? Otherwise I have to order another cam !!! : D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 03:19:07 am by kill_one »

kill_one

• Offline Offline
« Reply #483 on: March 03, 2020, 03:27:06 am »
now that I have found the gun problem, we come to another doubt that I have ... the connection of the TMP36 sensor

connections:

PIN1 e PIN3 should they be connected to + 5v and gnd of the arduino or are those that feed the rumble also fine?
PIN2 to arduino A0 pin

kill_one

• Offline Offline
« Reply #484 on: March 03, 2020, 03:29:12 am »
With the dpad 4 direction this gun has 7 buttons (8 with the pedal). It will also need a 9th button for calibration.
So it's possible to support it with the led if you sacrifice one button for calibration, and the pedal (of if you connect the pedal and B on the same pin).
But it would require changing the pinout again, reason why I asked about it in the last poll  :lol

in fact I replied Other and I'm in the 50% of the survey ... ;D

kill_one

• Offline Offline
« Reply #485 on: March 03, 2020, 03:56:40 am »
@Foxhole if you can find a way to modify the lightgun LOGIC 3 P99 LASER I would be grateful if you post some photos of how you did it, I did not succeed there is too little space ...: D

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #486 on: March 03, 2020, 07:39:19 am »
now that I have found the gun problem, we come to another doubt that I have ... the connection of the TMP36 sensor

connections:

PIN1 e PIN3 should they be connected to + 5v and gnd of the arduino or are those that feed the rumble also fine?
PIN2 to arduino A0 pin

Yes exactly, +5V and GND of the arduino power the sensor
It doesn't use much power so it shouldn't be a problem.

kill_one

• Offline Offline
« Reply #487 on: March 08, 2020, 01:04:59 pm »
I mounted the temperature sensor to the two guns that I have working, I enabled them in both, and tried, on one if I hold down at a certain point it stops and does not work anymore after a while it starts again and I think it is normal and it means that the sensor is working right? If I use the other instead nothing happens the solenoid is always active, is there a way to understand if the tool has activated the sensor or not? Because when I put the E the procedure lasts a few seconds but nothing tells me if it was successful or not ...

lemmingDev

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2024, 04:33:37 pm
« Reply #488 on: March 25, 2020, 04:53:30 pm »
Hi

Am wanting to make a wireless Bluetooth version of this with an ESP32.

I'm almost at the stage where I've got the same functionality as the SAMCO 2.0 working via Bluetooth LE keyboard and absolute mouse, along with classic BT serial that could be used for mamehooker and solenoid/rumble goodness.

Benefit of ESP32 is that there's plenty of processing power plus space for additional libraries like neopixel for RGB LED. Only downside to it is that is doesn't have USB HID support, however as it has BLE HID support, everything can be done wirelessly ;)

I see you're a bit hesitant with providing the code, but have said a few times you're happy to compile variations for other users.

Just wondering if I were to provide you the code with working composite BLE HID absolute position mouse (I hacked a library together based on absmouse library) / keyboard (and possibly gamepad - I made a working one already) and classic BT serial for makehooker all together in a working sketch, if you would consider adding your magic 4 LED code etc and compiling it for me to test out.

I do have a few of Pro Micros so can do it wired, but can't help thinking a wireless version would be fantastic too.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #489 on: March 27, 2020, 10:35:18 am »
Hi

Am wanting to make a wireless Bluetooth version of this with an ESP32.

I'm almost at the stage where I've got the same functionality as the SAMCO 2.0 working via Bluetooth LE keyboard and absolute mouse, along with classic BT serial that could be used for mamehooker and solenoid/rumble goodness.

Benefit of ESP32 is that there's plenty of processing power plus space for additional libraries like neopixel for RGB LED. Only downside to it is that is doesn't have USB HID support, however as it has BLE HID support, everything can be done wirelessly ;)

I see you're a bit hesitant with providing the code, but have said a few times you're happy to compile variations for other users.

Just wondering if I were to provide you the code with working composite BLE HID absolute position mouse (I hacked a library together based on absmouse library) / keyboard (and possibly gamepad - I made a working one already) and classic BT serial for makehooker all together in a working sketch, if you would consider adding your magic 4 LED code etc and compiling it for me to test out.

I do have a few of Pro Micros so can do it wired, but can't help thinking a wireless version would be fantastic too.
Yeah no problem, I could try to make that work ;)
Which ESP32 board model where you thinking of using?

lemmingDev

• Offline Offline

CanadianRyGuy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2021, 07:41:53 am
« Reply #491 on: March 30, 2020, 10:24:33 am »
So I’ve really got the itch to try and build this thing as I’ve been wanting a nice lightgun forever now. The problem is I’m very green at electronics and such and programming and feel like I would order everything put it all together, something wouldn’t work right and I’d be lost on how to troubleshoot. How easy for a novice like myself is this project in all honesty? Am I sweating myself up for failure? Should I wait till the project is more complete?
Also, is the Guncon2 recommended over the Guncon1? The 2 has more buttons and I would feel is more practical, but to me the 1 is that quintessential arcade gun form factor.
Lastly, if building I would start simple and just do the basic stuff first, if I got that working properly, can I add a solenoid later?

Long story short, should I wait for the Sinden that I know will be ready to go out of the box? Curious what the sunk cost difference would be, knowing I have to get like a solder gun and stuff for this project

Really enjoy reading your updates! Exciting to see how it progresses

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #492 on: March 30, 2020, 10:45:29 am »
Thanks!

They're all basically the same, but this is the one i have on hand
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32991132248.html
which is a clone of this
https://img.staticbg.com/images/oaupload/banggood/images/33/EE/51a8d415-7b17-4ae3-8274-b8317b03465f.jpg

but here is the generic pinout
https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp32-pinout-reference-gpios/
Ok, I will look into it when I have a bit more time  ;)

So I’ve really got the itch to try and build this thing as I’ve been wanting a nice lightgun forever now. The problem is I’m very green at electronics and such and programming and feel like I would order everything put it all together, something wouldn’t work right and I’d be lost on how to troubleshoot. How easy for a novice like myself is this project in all honesty? Am I sweating myself up for failure? Should I wait till the project is more complete?
Also, is the Guncon2 recommended over the Guncon1? The 2 has more buttons and I would feel is more practical, but to me the 1 is that quintessential arcade gun form factor.
Lastly, if building I would start simple and just do the basic stuff first, if I got that working properly, can I add a solenoid later?

Long story short, should I wait for the Sinden that I know will be ready to go out of the box? Curious what the sunk cost difference would be, knowing I have to get like a solder gun and stuff for this project

Really enjoy reading your updates! Exciting to see how it progresses
No problem, we all started somewhere  ;)
I would say the project while not being that hard, isn't easy either.
The Guncon 1 only has 3 buttons so without solenoid it's fairly easy. But the led system is more complex to do.
The basic price isn't as high as the sinden gun for sure, but indeed if you need to buy all soldering materials it might not be so cheap.
Overall I would advice you to do this project only if you have time (and some money) to invest in it. Otherwise it might be preferable to get a plug and play solution.
I might also consider building and selling prebuilt guns one day, but it's probably not before long :P

CanadianRyGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #493 on: March 30, 2020, 01:39:48 pm »
For me, I do enjoy the tinkering aspect so I don’t mind doing some building of the gun, and the guns are relatively easy to find locally but if you had sold a kit of everything else somewhat assembled and the Arduino fully programmed and ready to go, that would something I’d be interested in. I’d feel much better know at least that aspect was ready to go and I wouldn’t have to troubleshoot that. I could then assemble it all in a gun and play around with the software in MAME, etc.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #494 on: March 30, 2020, 02:26:17 pm »
For me, I do enjoy the tinkering aspect so I don’t mind doing some building of the gun, and the guns are relatively easy to find locally but if you had sold a kit of everything else somewhat assembled and the Arduino fully programmed and ready to go, that would something I’d be interested in. I’d feel much better know at least that aspect was ready to go and I wouldn’t have to troubleshoot that. I could then assemble it all in a gun and play around with the software in MAME, etc.
Actually I was considering making some pcb for this setup, but realized that it wouldn't fit well with all the things I am putting in the guns, like solenoid, rumble... :lol
I might rethink about it if enough people are interested actually.

CanadianRyGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #495 on: April 01, 2020, 08:05:15 pm »
Just curious, I picked up a Guncon 1 at a local shop yesterday and he had a Guncon 3 for cheap so I picked it up too. Just curious if since the 3 was designed to work on lcd screens with a similar type of design, could the original camera be used with the Arduino? Would save me a few bucks!

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #496 on: April 02, 2020, 08:11:53 am »
Just curious, I picked up a Guncon 1 at a local shop yesterday and he had a Guncon 3 for cheap so I picked it up too. Just curious if since the 3 was designed to work on lcd screens with a similar type of design, could the original camera be used with the Arduino? Would save me a few bucks!
good question.
Probably if it's a i2c standard like the wiimote, but it's hard to know for sure :P

CanadianRyGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #497 on: April 02, 2020, 10:00:50 am »
Let’s say it did in fact work, would it somehow be inferior to what you’re using? Superior? No difference? Would it be more work and more complicated for little or no benefit over the other one?

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #498 on: April 02, 2020, 10:38:59 am »
Let’s say it did in fact work, would it somehow be inferior to what you’re using? Superior? No difference? Would it be more work and more complicated for little or no benefit over the other one?
There is no way we can answer to any of those questions without knowing the specs of the cam  :lol
Maybe it's good and usable, maybe it's not.

CanadianRyGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #499 on: April 02, 2020, 12:41:56 pm »
Would it be beneficial to take mine apart and take some pictures? Anything in particular I should look for?

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #500 on: April 02, 2020, 11:41:15 pm »
Would it be beneficial to take mine apart and take some pictures? Anything in particular I should look for?
It probably won't help much, we need the datasheets of the components.

CanadianRyGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #501 on: April 03, 2020, 11:18:10 am »
This seems to be the cheapest Pro Micro I can find in Canada including shipping. Can you confirm this should work?

https://www.universal-solder.ca/product/arduino-pro-micro-atmega32u4-5v-sparkfun/

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #502 on: April 03, 2020, 11:32:13 am »
This seems to be the cheapest Pro Micro I can find in Canada including shipping. Can you confirm this should work?

https://www.universal-solder.ca/product/arduino-pro-micro-atmega32u4-5v-sparkfun/
Yes it should :D

lemmingDev

• Offline Offline
« Reply #503 on: April 04, 2020, 07:53:30 pm »
The rumble motor i'm using functions like a solenoid, when it rumbles it moves three gears which in turn pull the gun shell back to simulate the recoil.
Since i am only using rumble, then i should use the solenoid pin instead of the rumble pin, right?
Otherwise it won't work when shooting on screen?
I'd test this myself but i'm still waiting for the parts to arrive, so i'd like to make sure i'm doing this right.
Btw, the transistor isn't available at the moment, i can get the mosfet instead, do you think that would be an issue?

Hey - is that the EMS Topgun II

I have 2 of them but when i opened it up everything looked so integrated and I wasn't sure I'd be able to mod it.

Could you let me know how you did it and perhaps post a few pics?

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 04:36:28 pm
« Reply #504 on: April 06, 2020, 07:24:53 am »
The rumble motor i'm using functions like a solenoid, when it rumbles it moves three gears which in turn pull the gun shell back to simulate the recoil.
Since i am only using rumble, then i should use the solenoid pin instead of the rumble pin, right?
Otherwise it won't work when shooting on screen?
I'd test this myself but i'm still waiting for the parts to arrive, so i'd like to make sure i'm doing this right.
Btw, the transistor isn't available at the moment, i can get the mosfet instead, do you think that would be an issue?

Hey - is that the EMS Topgun II

I have 2 of them but when i opened it up everything looked so integrated and I wasn't sure I'd be able to mod it.

Could you let me know how you did it and perhaps post a few pics?
To be honest, i tried fitting everything but space was too tight and i kinda gave up on it, i might get back to it later on, though i'm probably gonna have to dremel the original pcb.

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2023, 12:54:43 pm
« Reply #505 on: April 06, 2020, 11:23:09 am »
I have two aimtracks in namco point blank guns.

Now I'm not 100 percent satisfied.

Will this be an update that is worth the huge effort of rebuilding everything?

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #506 on: April 06, 2020, 12:37:28 pm »

Short answer: yes. and no  :lol

Long answer:

Yes, because I made this system for the exact same reason; I wasn't happy with other led systems. I though the IR led based gun techs we have now are overly expensive, under-exploited and lack several things that I addressed with my system. So in its current state my system is already the best non CRT lightgun system you can build. By far. And is always improving.

No, because this system is far from plug and play, it's totally DIY, and always evolving, so it requires lot of time and effort. There is this forum and a discord server tho if you need help with that  ;)

ryoken

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2022, 06:43:46 am
« Reply #507 on: April 06, 2020, 01:50:54 pm »
I love that answer

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #508 on: April 07, 2020, 03:17:52 am »

Short answer: yes. and no  :lol

Long answer:

Yes, because I made this system for the exact same reason; I wasn't happy with other led systems. I though the IR led based gun techs we have now are overly expensive, under-exploited and lack several things that I addressed with my system. So in its current state my system is already the best non CRT lightgun system you can build. By far. And is always improving.

No, because this system is far from plug and play, it's totally DIY, and always evolving, so it requires lot of time and effort. There is this forum and a discord server tho if you need help with that  ;)

Good answer. I'm a total diy guy and love building stuff. Just want to make sure that it will be an improvement.

Have you thought of making a mode for the recoil that works like the one from aimtracks? That would make it possible to play games with recoil that do not Output via mamehooker.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #509 on: April 07, 2020, 04:23:42 am »
Good answer. I'm a total diy guy and love building stuff. Just want to make sure that it will be an improvement.
Yeah it def a huge improvement. The only thing missing now is a tool with a proper UI to configure the guns.
But that will come too one day.

Have you thought of making a mode for the recoil that works like the one from aimtracks? That would make it possible to play games with recoil that do not Output via mamehooker.
You mean triggering the solenoid once when using normal fire mode and autofire when holding? That's already the default mode, mamehooker is optional  ;)

ryoken

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2022, 06:43:46 am
« Reply #510 on: April 07, 2020, 05:22:36 am »
Anyone knows if we can use the ir camera from aimtrack diy kit, for this

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #511 on: April 07, 2020, 07:45:56 am »
Yeah it def a huge improvement. The only thing missing now is a tool with a proper UI to configure the guns.
But that will come too one day.

You mean triggering the solenoid once when using normal fire mode and autofire when holding? That's already the default mode, mamehooker is optional  ;)

Ah.
No what I mean is one impulse when triggered. No autofire. Shooting of screen will not trigger.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #512 on: April 07, 2020, 07:54:12 am »
Ah.
No what I mean is one impulse when triggered. No autofire. Shooting of screen will not trigger.
I meant fullauto when holding trigger, not autofire.
But yeah it's already doing that, including the offscreen shoot that don't trigger the solenoid.

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #513 on: April 07, 2020, 08:34:59 am »
Ah.
But yeah it's already doing that, including the offscreen shoot that don't trigger the solenoid.

Ah, perfect. Everything sounds fantastic. I'm thinking of getting two more "namco" guns from ali express, let's see about the quality, but the "named" ones are sturdier than the originals.

What has been your experience with Mame and two guns? While I use the controler remap tool, my aimtracks can get lost sometimes and everything needs to be setup again. Super annoying.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #514 on: April 07, 2020, 09:34:19 am »
Ah.

Ah, perfect. Everything sounds fantastic. I'm thinking of getting two more "namco" guns from ali express, let's see about the quality, but the "named" ones are sturdier than the originals.

What has been your experience with Mame and two guns? While I use the controler remap tool, my aimtracks can get lost sometimes and everything needs to be setup again. Super annoying.
You don't need the controller remap utility nowadays, you can use ctrlr file to remap your guns and make them stable.

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #515 on: April 07, 2020, 10:05:17 am »
Ah.

You don't need the controller remap utility nowadays, you can use ctrlr file to remap your guns and make them stable.

say whaaaaat. you have a direction where it is documented?

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #516 on: April 07, 2020, 10:51:00 am »
You can find the info right in the setup guide of the aimtrak.
If you still need more assistance, come to the discord channel.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:55:39 am by Foxhole »

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #517 on: April 07, 2020, 11:37:56 am »
Thank you very much. Before annoying anyone I'll read into it!

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #519 on: April 08, 2020, 07:49:11 am »
Yeah, that's the IR camera.