Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

-- deleted poll --

-- deleted poll --
0 (0%)
-- deleted poll --
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: GUN4IR - The Ultimate 4 Points Lightgun System  (Read 397094 times)

Marsupial

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:00:56 pm
  • I am teh Mars!
Re: GUN4IR - The Ultimate 4 Points Lightgun System
« Reply #800 on: June 06, 2021, 09:17:18 pm »
Preparing my "new" monitor for my stand-up - had to repaint the bezel - once dark, it's barely visible behind the glass.

Took the opportunity to drill led holes for the gun4ir.

How do you guys mount your LEDs?
-Mars

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #801 on: June 06, 2021, 09:18:40 pm »
Hi, im very new at this, im trying to see every tutorial. My goal for a test is to use a nintendo zapper (super simple) and the camera of a original wiimote. Any advice?
Just dig in. Besides mechanical placement, nothing special to think about. JayBee made all the legwork for us. Follow his guide and all will work good.

And post pictures!
-Mars

boppyman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2022, 11:17:14 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #802 on: June 07, 2021, 02:17:05 pm »
Just a heads up for anyone ordering a IR Camera from the UK (possibly anywhere else as well).  I just got mine delivered from https://www.dfrobot.com/ for 21.93 with FedEx shipping as they are giving $10 off the shipping when you register taking the cost down quite a bit.

It only took about 4 days to come as well which is nice :)

2huwman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 03:33:32 am
« Reply #803 on: June 08, 2021, 03:13:33 am »
Just a heads up for anyone ordering a IR Camera from the UK (possibly anywhere else as well).  I just got mine delivered from https://www.dfrobot.com/ for 21.93 with FedEx shipping as they are giving $10 off the shipping when you register taking the cost down quite a bit.

Nice - did you have to pay any import duty?

outrunner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2024, 05:28:28 am
  • Replica Nintendo cab - done!
« Reply #804 on: June 09, 2021, 05:44:35 am »
Thanks for the tip. Was looking for a camera to build a second gun but everywhere in the UK seems to be sold out (we're all building GUN4IRs). Don't think I've ever had to pay import duty on items from china, hopefully this will be the same.

Can anybody recommend a wide angle lens, looking for something decent quality with the same diameter that can screw straight onto IR camera?

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:36:32 pm
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #805 on: June 09, 2021, 06:15:41 am »
Thanks for the tip. Was looking for a camera to build a second gun but everywhere in the UK seems to be sold out (we're all building GUN4IRs). Don't think I've ever had to pay import duty on items from china, hopefully this will be the same.

Can anybody recommend a wide angle lens, looking for something decent quality with the same diameter that can screw straight onto IR camera?
Yeah since that cam is using old stock of sensors, it seems like the stock is slowly drying out...
Sadly we couldn't find any lense that fit directly in the IR cam, but it is possible to use pretty much any wide/fisheye smartphone lenses on it if you either glue it on, print a support, or glue a smartphone support on it. The cleanest solution is by far the 3d print of course  :D

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #806 on: June 09, 2021, 07:13:16 am »

Yeah since that cam is using old stock of sensors, it seems like the stock is slowly drying out...
That is not good news...

What if dfrobot's stock dries out? What then?
-Mars

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #807 on: June 09, 2021, 07:28:06 am »

That is not good news...

What if dfrobot's stock dries out? What then?
For a while I've been investigating on replacement for the cam module, that is still being produced.
There are possiblities but no simple solutions yet.

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #808 on: June 09, 2021, 07:38:49 am »
Last resort, there is always wiimote scavenged parts...

But the dfrobot form factor seems like it was made purposely for building lightguns

Keep us posted in any developments.
-Mars

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #809 on: June 09, 2021, 07:51:20 am »

But the dfrobot form factor seems like it was made purposely for building lightguns

Dfrobot sensors ARE wiimote salvaged cams, repackaged  :lol

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #810 on: June 09, 2021, 07:52:33 am »

Dfrobot sensors ARE wiimote salvaged cams, repackaged 
I thought it was new stock from the supplier, repackaged.
They salvage them from wiimote!?
-Mars

boppyman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2022, 11:17:14 am
« Reply #811 on: June 09, 2021, 12:44:10 pm »

Nice - did you have to pay any import duty?

No, no tax or import duty. 

What i did do was ask them to label it less then £20 which they kindly did, as suggested on https://lightgunpedia.fandom.com.   I don't think that affects the UK anyway though tbh as VAT isn't charged for anything under £39 and customs duty under £135 (according to gov.uk) but I didn't know that until I'd already emailed dfrobot lol
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 01:39:38 pm by boppyman »

Montell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2022, 02:51:48 am
« Reply #812 on: June 12, 2021, 01:28:19 am »
Hello Jaybee,

I am a sinden backer but im starting to think your mod is the way to go, less hassle is always a plus.

I cant put this together myself, so I might have rpeg do an aimtrack conversion. I hated the aimtrak system, as soon as i got to close to the monitor the aim would get wonky, and moving back and forth the aim would get bad. I hated it, then my recoil stopped working. So i  am a bit hesitant to go with another IR solution, I am hoping yours does not have this issue. And of course not overly excited about using the aimtrak to have it moded but it seemed like the cheapest most readily available option. I also wish there was a dpad and few more buttons on the aimtrak.

However I still believe your solution might be the best way to go. One thing i want to ask looking at your software gui, is there no way to map buttons offscreen? When I play house of the dead for instance in demul playing house of the dead to make off screen reload work i had to set my trigger to a different button off screen (such as right click, cant remember exactly) but then when i pressed trigger offscreen it reloaded, I enjoyed that. But it seems when i watched a video of your software you cant map buttons to do something different offscreen?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 01:30:24 am by Montell »

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #813 on: June 12, 2021, 03:53:43 am »
Hello Jaybee,

I am a sinden backer but im starting to think your mod is the way to go, less hassle is always a plus.

I cant put this together myself, so I might have rpeg do an aimtrack conversion. I hated the aimtrak system, as soon as i got to close to the monitor the aim would get wonky, and moving back and forth the aim would get bad. I hated it, then my recoil stopped working. So i  am a bit hesitant to go with another IR solution, I am hoping yours does not have this issue. And of course not overly excited about using the aimtrak to have it moded but it seemed like the cheapest most readily available option. I also wish there was a dpad and few more buttons on the aimtrak.

However I still believe your solution might be the best way to go. One thing i want to ask looking at your software gui, is there no way to map buttons offscreen? When I play house of the dead for instance in demul playing house of the dead to make off screen reload work i had to set my trigger to a different button off screen (such as right click, cant remember exactly) but then when i pressed trigger offscreen it reloaded, I enjoyed that. But it seems when i watched a video of your software you cant map buttons to do something different offscreen?
Thanks for your interest!
Yeah my system don't have those kind of issue.
Of course if you get too close form the screen the aim can lose in accuracy but that's easily solved by using a fisheye/wide lens on it.
Concerning the offscreen reload, of course you can configure it the way you want  ;)
You have the option to triggers whatever is mapped to the reload button when shooting offscreen, which is right click by default.

Montell

• Offline Offline
« Reply #814 on: June 12, 2021, 04:14:54 am »
Thanks for the information.

Is it also possible to assign other buttons different keyboard values off screen?

Typically in aimtrak software when pointed off screen i could set my side buttons as coin (3) and start (1).

If not is that something you would consider adding to the software?

I am going to have to look into the fisheye lens mod rpeg does as well. Thanks.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #815 on: June 12, 2021, 04:20:05 am »

Is it also possible to assign other buttons different keyboard values off screen?

Typically in aimtrak software when pointed off screen i could set my side buttons as coin (3) and start (1).

Right now you can remap the offscreen/reload button to any button/keys you want, but for optimisation purpose it's not available for other buttons like A/B/Start/Select.
However it's in my to do list for the next firmware.

outrunner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #816 on: June 12, 2021, 04:40:01 am »
My basic G-45 gun build works well but I'd like to add an RGB LED and mode button. Can anybody explain how I work out what resistor values to use? As an example I'm looking at some LEDs on ebay that give the specs:

Red 2.0v
Green 3.0-3.2v
Blue 3.0-3.2v

I know that to calculate V you need I and R. How do I work out R when I only know V?

Also, forgive me another question in the same post. I've mostly played Model 2 games so far on a 16:9 monitor running the game full screen 4:3 (boarder at the left and right). I'd assumed this would mean I'd need to set the content to 4:3 leaving the screen as 16:9, but when I do this it throws the tracking out on the left and right. Leaving the setup as screen 16:9, content Full screen seems to work fine though. This isn't a problem as such as works well, I just don't understand what the setting is for as it doesn't seem to work in my scenario. Cheers all.

JayBee

• Offline Offline
  • Creator of the GUN4IR
« Reply #817 on: June 12, 2021, 04:47:28 am »
My basic G-45 gun build works well but I'd like to add an RGB LED and mode button. Can anybody explain how I work out what resistor values to use? As an example I'm looking at some LEDs on ebay that give the specs:

Red 2.0v
Green 3.0-3.2v
Blue 3.0-3.2v

I know that to calculate V you need I and R. How do I work out R when I only know V?

Also, forgive me another question in the same post. I've mostly played Model 2 games so far on a 16:9 monitor running the game full screen 4:3 (boarder at the left and right). I'd assumed this would mean I'd need to set the content to 4:3 leaving the screen as 16:9, but when I do this it throws the tracking out on the left and right. Leaving the setup as screen 16:9, content Full screen seems to work fine though. This isn't a problem as such as works well, I just don't understand what the setting is for as it doesn't seem to work in my scenario. Cheers all.
For the LEDs use this;
http://ledcalc.com/#calc
It's super easy to use and convenient.

For the model 2, the content mode you use also depends on the mouse input mode used by the emulator. If it's normal mouse mode, no matter the aspect ratio the mouse range will stay fullscreen.
If it's raw mouse (for instance with mame and demulshooter), it will match the aspect ratio.
So I guess in your case it's using normal input mode  ;)

outrunner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #818 on: June 12, 2021, 05:22:48 am »

Thanks for the quick response JayBee, your excellent support is appreciated. I did look at the calculator first, but as I didn't know the current I wasn't sure how to calculate. I'll work on the assumption they're 20ma.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 05:24:52 am by outrunner »

Montell

• Offline Offline
« Reply #819 on: June 12, 2021, 05:41:29 am »

Right now you can remap the offscreen/reload button to any button/keys you want, but for optimisation purpose it's not available for other buttons like A/B/Start/Select.
However it's in my to do list for the next firmware.

Thanks that would be awesome, the aimtrak is lacking a few buttons, so the offscreen buttons doing different things was very nice. If you added it, it would be awesome. Typically in games you could map those buttons to something on screen, and then i could map it to coin and start when i pointed the gun off screen. Very handy. Would be awesome to see that in the software as well. Probably the only thing i noticed useful in sindens and aimtraks not in yours, but everything else looks amazing.

2knuckels

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2021, 03:35:35 am
« Reply #820 on: June 13, 2021, 09:48:02 am »
Im going to build some more guns and I want to try out the fisheye lens.
Does anybody have a link to a lens that works?
Would be nice.

Montell

• Offline Offline
« Reply #821 on: June 13, 2021, 06:22:43 pm »
Would be nice.

I am also wondering about the lens, raymond is going to mod and fix my stupid aimtrak recoil i almost threw in the garbage 6 months ago.

Does anyone know of a lens that works on the aimtrak? Not sure what exactly i am looking for.

Pegafun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 03:12:07 pm
« Reply #822 on: June 15, 2021, 06:09:46 am »
Would be nice.

I am also wondering about the lens, raymond is going to mod and fix my stupid aimtrak recoil i almost threw in the garbage 6 months ago.

Does anyone know of a lens that works on the aimtrak? Not sure what exactly i am looking for.

This one works fine:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005002606066666.html
[/quote]

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #823 on: June 15, 2021, 07:15:42 am »

This one works fine:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005002606066666.html
Do you have to change calibration after installing it?
-Mars

Pegafun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 03:12:07 pm
« Reply #824 on: June 15, 2021, 07:24:49 am »
Yes, but the change in the calibration profile is not too much big. Anyway I always play with the fisheye len mounted, because I stand from 50cm to 1.5m of my 28" monitor.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 07:41:32 am by Pegafun »

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #825 on: June 15, 2021, 09:10:48 am »
Yes, but the change in the calibration profile is not too much big. Anyway I always play with the fisheye len mounted, because I stand from 50cm to 1.5m of my 28" monitor.
I was asking because my arcade cabinet runs XP and I'll need to connect it's vga CRT to another machine for calibration... So I wondered if it was required at all.

My gun tracks well at 1m, but closer than that it's unreliable without the fisheye. I'll permanently attach a fisheye when it reaches here, I've ordered the exact same as yours.

Please Mr. Postman, bring me my fisheye!

-Mars

2knuckels

• Offline Offline
« Reply #826 on: June 15, 2021, 11:20:27 am »
Thank you for your link. I just ordered

sonik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 10:52:59 am
« Reply #827 on: June 16, 2021, 01:20:00 pm »
For using the camera from a wiimote, it requires a original wiimote or any 3rd party one from china will do?

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #828 on: June 16, 2021, 01:37:44 pm »
For using the camera from a wiimote, it requires a original wiimote or any 3rd party one from china will do?
3rd party wiimote don't have the same camera. They are no-go.
-Mars

lllll44

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2024, 06:57:43 pm
« Reply #829 on: June 18, 2021, 03:11:10 pm »
Does anyone sell a gun4ir with a recoil?
a namco model will be the best.

Emilio5639

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2021, 05:14:01 pm
« Reply #830 on: June 19, 2021, 05:14:56 pm »
Is there a location that has what systems this supports.  I was looking at TeknoParrot, MAME, and other systems, I wasnt sure if there was some master list.  Thanks again.

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #831 on: June 19, 2021, 06:24:45 pm »
Is there a location that has what systems this supports.  I was looking at TeknoParrot, MAME, and other systems, I wasnt sure if there was some master list.  Thanks again.
The gun is essentially an HID Compliant mouse, any system that can use a mouse as input will be able to use gun4ir.
-Mars

Montell

• Offline Offline
« Reply #832 on: June 22, 2021, 12:37:27 am »
Just curious i have i think a december build of teknoparrot, do i need to update it for gun4ir? Or should it work with a december 2020 version? Not sure if anyone knows when support was added.

2knuckels

• Offline Offline
« Reply #833 on: June 22, 2021, 03:26:06 am »
when using only single player all apps with mouse support work, and its really easy to setup regardless of app -> demulshooter, dolphin, pcsx2 or arcade PA ( tekkno parrot)
When using RAW mode for 2 player there may be some tweaks are necessary as 2 Independent normal mice are not supported in windows on "NOT RAW" mode.
If you want to get rid of a cursor use nomousey.

outrunner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #834 on: June 22, 2021, 08:28:55 am »
Finished building my second gun at the weekend, another basic G-con45 build but this time I added an LED and a small mode button, with the purpose of being able to easily change between widescreen and 4:3 mode. Everything works as expected but I was wondering if there's a way to change the LED flash colour when changing modes: maybe flash green for 4:3, flash blue for fullscreen?

Marsupial

• Offline Offline
  • I am teh Mars!
« Reply #835 on: June 25, 2021, 08:37:03 pm »
Question to gun4ir users. Do you actually use the mode button?

I am strongly thinking of using this button as a 3rd button instead of mode.
-Mars

2knuckels

• Offline Offline
« Reply #836 on: June 26, 2021, 04:37:15 am »
if using mouse mode (single player) there is no need, in raw mode its useful.
But in most cases it is more useful as an extra button, and switch the ratio mode by the app.
ex some wii games need + and A to work properly.

Montell

• Offline Offline
« Reply #837 on: July 02, 2021, 09:59:13 pm »
Got my gun4ir system from ray, he modded an aimtrak with better recoil, fisheye lens, ect... very powerful recoil. Enjoying the gun4ir so far, alot better then the aimtrak thats for sure. I have sinden tech on my buck hunter cab, and it works well, but i cancelled my preorder not wanting to spend countless hours fiddling with software on a pc and making the boarders work, or stopping and starting the software when im playing or stopping it when im not playing, i also worried about the software crashing at times, it is windows..... So i cant really compare, my sindens are on a dedicated arcade1up cab with an 17 inch screen and gun4ir is on a 50 inch trying to do everything.

I have a 4 player pedestal with a tv.

I just got mame working but setup was a breeze. One thing i will mention is if you have a thicker tv (mines not thick its a 2019 samsung tv, but its not oled thin either) you should probably put the IR sensors on the side that ray makes, instead of on the back of the tv trying to bend them toward you around the bezel. Even though the sensors were protruding the width of the tv, i still had trouble picking up the ones on the sides. That caused me the most issues. Since ray has Velcro on the led's i simply remove them when not in use and stick them on when i want to play light gun games. I hide them behind the tv out of site when not in use, only takes me 40 seconds to grab them from the behind the tv and stick them on the 4 spots when i want to use them.

But make sure the gun can clearly see them, I thought it should be able to see them sticking them on the back of the tv and pointing them toward me, but it was faint at times, so sticking them on the side of the tv bezel really helped. Turning up sensitivity didnt do much in software. Its very sensitive in my experience on a 50 inch tv if it cant see the IR sensors as clearly as it wants.

Only things I would like to request as i mentioned before is the offscreen buttons doing something different, so aimtrak or guncons have those two red buttons. With my aimtraks I made the red buttons when i point them off screen to coin (3) and start (1) on my system. This way i dont have to walk to my pedestal whenever i need to insert coins, or skip a cut scene. I can stay in my spot. I just point the gun away from the tv, and I can hit coin or start on my gun. Hope thats in the next firmware. Fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 10:01:06 pm by Montell »

Montell

• Offline Offline
« Reply #838 on: July 07, 2021, 12:34:51 am »
One other request, and maybe its already present, or maybe it wouldnt be possible to implement unless the software is always running.

But i was curious if you could somehow assign a hot key to bring up the calibration, or some way to check the camera points and how well the gun see's them.

For those of us using rays wireless led's who put them away when not in use, it would just be nice to be able to call up the calibration test screen and check the cameras once in awhile when i attach them to play light gun games, just to make sure everything is aligned. Especially if we are using a front end so we didnt have to close out every time, check the calibration/camera test screen manually and then reopen the front end.

Not a huge deal was just curious if its possible and thought it might be useful.

Montell

• Offline Offline
« Reply #839 on: July 11, 2021, 04:06:22 pm »
On this same topic was talking to ray at rpeg, and he mentioned my above post is currently possible with a mode button. Unfortunately my aimtrak does not have a mode button.

It would be awesome if we could assign a hotkey like on aimtrak to do certain things. I know i could set it so if i press A and B buttons and hold them for 10 seconds pointed off screen it would trigger calibration.

Just be cool for something like that, one other really good use for it would be instead of requiring a physical mode button on the gun, if we could just use the buttons available to us, and if we could also switch reload modes on the fly. Some games require shot in corner, some i set offscreen to the reload button (house of the dead 2). So if could set some combination of buttons on my gun to switch reload modes.