Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Oled monitor  (Read 25726 times)

Moksi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 09:10:04 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Oled monitor
« on: September 30, 2019, 12:57:13 pm »
hey guys i noticed that these new monitors are not fully on the market yet
But im thinking about getting one for the arcade cabinet
as this monitor has better quality producing colours than lcd

what you guys think?

markiej

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2020, 02:15:56 pm
Re: Oled monitor
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 01:43:00 pm »
yes, better colors, contrast, and (by far) black levels than LCD.  The biggest fear of OLED is burn-in   I'm a little wary of them outside of watching movies/shows at the moment, though some desktop monitors have some trickery to help combat it - I'm not sure they tested for someone accidentally leaving centipede on attract mode for a long weekend.  Also I wonder if there would be a clear difference in brightness for the various common masking done at 4:3 and 3:4.

Moksi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 02:36:56 pm »
thanks they probably will be pricey at first i can wait as its worth it
need an 27 inch

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 03:16:57 pm »
OLEDs supposedly have very good response time, too.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 01:36:42 pm »
My pixel2 XL has OLED (P-OLED specifically) and I've used it for 2 years now with zero evidence of burn in. where by I've seen 90% of OLED Samsung phones (which use AMOLED which is samsung marking wankery) suffer some kind of burn-in.

I don't feel I use my phone any different than anybody else. I use it every day and I don't leave it on while plugged in or anything.

I think OLED performance in regards to burn-in highly depends on manufacturer...or perhaps it's AMOLED build specific.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 02:02:59 pm »
Yeah pixel response is perfect (not motion resolution which is the same as lcd, but we can't have everything yet)

IMHO burn-in also depends a lot on usage, let some game with static bright elements run many hours every day on that OLED without all available burn-in prevention programs to support it, and you'll definitely see marks appear too soon for comfort.

Considering the insane price, and small size (only 22" announced for now) I don't think they're worth it. Wait another decade ?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 02:28:46 pm »
plasmas where like 10,000 bucks when they first came out too. eventually you couldn't give them away once LCD took over.

OLED will be the same as soon as the next greatest thing comes along.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 03:27:39 pm »
Indeed, the first mainstream OLED was like in 2013, and the first also-mainstream monitor a year or two ago but it was cancelled for technical issues (probably terrible burn-in)

Apparently besides the burn-in issue OLED shares with plasma that manufacturing in several sizes including the intemerdiary fitting PC monitors, is very costly, so LG who already put all their money into factories tailored to produce 55, 65 and 77 for TVs were not interested. And Samsung who do smartphone OLEDs never trusted the tech enough to go full market.

The 'next best thing' is Micro-LED but it may be well-over a decade before going mainstream, until then we may witness something unexpected; monitor LCDs making a solid comeback (which is kinda happening right now)
Over the - long - years since no new tech came to take over, they've managed to push the response times, bit-by-bit, contrast and colors, introduced HDR and variable refresh, etc and now they're also pushing the refresh rates higher.
Visit tftcentral.co.uk they've written a summary of the current and upcoming products, and there's no denying that ye olde LCD won't die without a rather fierce fight.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 05:07:47 pm »
plasmas where like 10,000 bucks when they first came out too. eventually you couldn't give them away once LCD took over.

Ten grand and the picture looked like The Mummy (1999) in transit. However, by the early/-mid-thousands, the cost was down at least three times, and they were usable displays. I love plasma over LCD.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 05:20:45 pm »
I just picked up a new LG OLED (C9 panel) and it's fantastic for gaming. Fast response rate, great deep blacks, and it's taken a wide variety of sync signals coming out of my supergun.

I've been running a plasma for the last 8 years, so an upgrade was merited. I'm glad I went with this TV, it's been pretty amazballs.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 09:11:48 am »
That's a damn good TV...and hot!

But for a cabinet... guess it's ok for replacing those 50" rear-projection ones.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 05:26:22 pm »

Ten grand and the picture looked like The Mummy (1999) in transit. However, by the early/-mid-thousands, the cost was down at least three times, and they were usable displays. I love plasma over LCD.

Yeah plasma was (and still is) the superior tech over LCD. It's better in every way except cost. A lot of people (myself included) consider the Pioneer Elite Kuro to be the best flatscreen displays ever made.

I have a 77" LG oled in my living room and I have a 12" Samsung Oled tablet (which I use for mame when traveling). The worst Oleds currently available are significantly better than the best LCDs ever made. I wouldn't worry about burn in if you're an average semi careful user. Burn-in was a potential issue with CRT, plasma and now Oled but how many times have you seen it outside a pro environment like an arcade or airport?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 11:21:39 am »
Yeah plasma was (and still is) the superior tech over LCD.

! can think of about 4 or 5 things right off the top of my head that make it worse over LCD.

screen burn
power consumption
display "sparkles" due to bad/failing/maladjusted kboards
weight

I mean I get what you are getting at... there ARE certain advantages to plasma (retina burning brightness, high refresh rates, great black levels) but to say it's superior is a bit of a stretch.  LCD tech is literally getting better by the day and much of the main advantages of going with plasma over LCD are almost moot. I'm not saying that LCD is now superior, just saying that everything has advantages and disadvantages over something else...just need to choose which disadvantages you are willing to live with or don't matter to you.

Even LED backlit LCD panels can get pretty good black levels due to the implementing of active baclight controls and more recently lightmasking. (essentially a 2nd layer of a "black and clear" LCD panel masks the back light to improve blacklevel.)

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 02:03:17 pm »
Don’t forget: heat generation is high, and lifespan is the lowest out of all the flat panel tech. While it may look nicer, a lot of plasmas have problems with high lag as well.

My 7 year old plasma had started showing faults by the 5th year. I’m happy to move onto OLED.
Never gonna buy a plasma again.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 03:12:52 pm »
Lag has more to do with the specific processor than the type of flat-screen tech. The image on a CRT could be driven directly while flat screens have to process the image. Some have better processors than others. There is certainly nothing about LCD tech that reduces lag over Oled and plasma.

Plasma benefits from the way it updates frames so it has superior motion resolution to LCD and Oled. This is a huge factor in perceived image quality. For gaming people are always moaning about motion blur on LCDs. It's one of the many areas where it was a huge step backwards from plasma (and CRT).

All display tech aside from LCD has burn-in potential. It was an issue for CRT but I only ever saw it in pro environments like arcades and airports. Same with plasma and now Oled. It's definitely possible with negligent use but most users won't ever see it. The price you pay for not lighting pixels individually on an LCD is massively inferior contrast. Contrast is arguably the most important factor in image quality. Even with all the tricks they use like local dimming on LCDs, the image never looks as good.

I guess the intended use comes into to some extent. If I was buying information screens for airports, where image quality doesn't matter, LCD would be the better choice. If "better" means superior image quality, plasma and Oled are head and shoulders above lcd.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 04:09:22 pm »
My Panasonic TCP42U2, used, with I think channel guide burn in I didn't see at the seller's house*, the picture looked good - and it does seven years later. I can see the back-lighting, and the browser window and task bar burn-in from my use, when the image is blank, yet I don't notice these when watching programs. Arcade games look great - because the color palette is similar to CRT. Rich colors and hues. Pretty good black when displaying a null space. HLSL and png effects look good, though the former is necessary for those wanting a rougher look. Vector games look great because plasma is similar to LCD. Pixels, high definition, brilliant colors, great transparency. $400.

It took me a year or more to get the color scheme right for all things. It really pleases me. I have no intent on replacing it, though have eyed some things.

*wife and kids were out, and I helped him move his new LED LCD from his truck. Super light, but I encouraged his request for assistance.

I agree with opt2not in that the new LCDs I've seen (including the used, re-furbed Samsung on this system) have looked nice, and performed well so far or as much as I've known about their use. Color variation is bizarre, I recall reading, due to difference in source of raw materials, though I imagine each maker has their own color systems, etc....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 04:12:14 pm by Mr. Peabody »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2019, 05:42:31 pm »
Lag has more to do with the specific processor than the type of flat-screen tech. The image on a CRT could be driven directly while flat screens have to process the image. Some have better processors than others. There is certainly nothing about LCD tech that reduces lag over Oled and plasma.

Plasma benefits from the way it updates frames so it has superior motion resolution to LCD and Oled. This is a huge factor in perceived image quality. For gaming people are always moaning about motion blur on LCDs. It's one of the many areas where it was a huge step backwards from plasma (and CRT).

All display tech aside from LCD has burn-in potential. It was an issue for CRT but I only ever saw it in pro environments like arcades and airports. Same with plasma and now Oled. It's definitely possible with negligent use but most users won't ever see it. The price you pay for not lighting pixels individually on an LCD is massively inferior contrast. Contrast is arguably the most important factor in image quality. Even with all the tricks they use like local dimming on LCDs, the image never looks as good.

I guess the intended use comes into to some extent. If I was buying information screens for airports, where image quality doesn't matter, LCD would be the better choice. If "better" means superior image quality, plasma and Oled are head and shoulders above lcd.

LOL what. Superior motion resolution? I call BS on this.

Plasma, regardless of what actual panel have always been slower in motion than LED's. There have been COUNTLESS lag test results comparing plasmas to LED's for the last few years, especially within the retro gaming community, those who are used to CRT lag times. It's quite vastly well known by now that the best gaming monitors you can get are LED based panels, not Plasma...google is your friend here.

My Panasonic Viera was one of the best valued Plasmas when it came out, for price and image quality. It had a great picture for it's time, good smart features, but it lacked the refresh/respawn rate suitable for gaming. Even when you turned on "game mode", which is supposed to do less buffering.
At the time, LED TV's were out, and it was night and day playing games at friend's houses. We were big into Street Fighter 4 at the time, a game that frame timings come down to 1 or 2 frame links.

You're not going to convince me, or the rest of the gaming community that plasmas are "better" for gaming. There is too much data out there to the contrary. You can even buy a lag tester now that will give you finite readings of lag on any display you attach it to.

edit:  Also, I should add, most internal upscalers on plasmas have been proven to be pretty shoddy, so if you're feeding lower resolution signals to Plasmas, youre going to be in for a rude awakening due to poor image quality, unsupported sync levels, or artifacting.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 05:44:28 pm by opt2not »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 04:39:54 am »
You're talking about input lag which is a distinct topic. Zebra's right motion resolution is superior on plasma, IIRC those refresh flashing the whole frame at something like 600Hz subframes evry frame at 60Hz without interpolation. I think that was required to control the brightness anyway, and that turned out very advantageous for motion.

Overall I agree it was a better tech, for the job of displaying most contents, it was the closest thing to compensating for CRT technically-speaking when you think of the required properties to do an equivalent job, but it sure had several downsides.

Burn is the most annoying, today people would also complain about the low brightness output (too dim for HDR), and the power consumption was scary indeed, tho on that topic I've seen a prototype of a low consumption set once at the IFA in Berlin, but that was like in 2013 so it was too late.
If only plasma has had like 5 more years...*sigh*

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 12:04:01 pm »
Input lag numbers are all over the map even with tv's that use the same tech. You can't use any one TV to make a general judgement about a display tech's potential for lag. You can find LCDs with 70Ms and LCDs with 16ms because it's down to the processor. You always have to search for specific models that are good for gaming with flat screens.

My 77" LG Oled has lower input lag than a Sony 77" Oled. Why, when they use the same Oled panel made by the same company? Because they have different processors.

Assuming you buy one of the lower input lag models, plasma displays are better for both gaming and watching TV /movies (than LCDs). They produce superior colors and noticeably less blur which makes us perceive a more detailed image. That last point is particularly important for gamers because game modes usually turn off motion interpolation.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2019, 12:52:54 pm »
lag depends highly on how much buggery the LVDS procesor does to the frame to get it ready for pushing out to the panel.

this is why lots of manufactures implement a game mode. it looks ugly, but it has no (or minimal) frame processing.

typically the GOOD numbers TV companies stick in your face are game mode numbers.

the great looking pics have crap performance with 250ms of lag.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 12:54:55 pm by lilshawn »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 02:32:29 pm »
Assuming you buy one of the lower input lag models, plasma displays are better for both gaming and watching TV /movies (than LCDs). They produce superior colors and noticeably less blur which makes us perceive a more detailed image. That last point is particularly important for gamers because game modes usually turn off motion interpolation.

And yet, the top TV's that are best for gaming have no mention of plasmas...so again, I call ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---.

https://www.pcmag.com/article/355754/the-best-tvs-for-gaming
LED's and OLED.  Where are the Plasma's, hmm?

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-gaming-tvs/
Again, no Plasma's on the list.

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-tvs-for-gaming-with-low-input-lag-in-2019/
No mention of plasma models here either...

https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-lag-tvs-gaming-by-gamers/
...And yet another best-of list that has zero Plasma's listed.

I can continue to post comparison articles from a dozen more sites, but I rest my case.

You have a choice to believe a plethora of sites with comparisons, hard number statistics, and testimonies.  Or you can believe some rando's opinion on a niche forum. 
 :dunno

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 03:40:46 pm »
Do they even make plasma TV's anymore?  This seems like a moot debate.

I love my plasma.  They are to TV what vinyl records are to music.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 06:01:30 pm »
They are to TV what vinyl records are to music.

Something measurably and definitively inferior yet praised for reasons purely subjective and emotional?

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2019, 10:40:07 am »
Yeah, except for plasma tv's are not inferior to LCD. Comparing CDs to MP3 would be more accurate. Of the four mainstream TV technologies, LCD is the worst in terms of image quality. Its has the worst contrast, blur, pixel response time and color.

It's plus points are that it's cheap and doesn't burn in. But it doesn't burn in because it can't can't control pixels individually which is one of the reasons they produce an inferior image.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2019, 10:52:24 am »

And yet, the top TV's that are best for gaming have no mention of plasmas...so again, I call ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---.

https://www.pcmag.com/article/355754/the-best-tvs-for-gaming
LED's and OLED.  Where are the Plasma's, hmm?

https://www.gamesradar.com/best-gaming-tvs/
Again, no Plasma's on the list.

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-tvs-for-gaming-with-low-input-lag-in-2019/
No mention of plasma models here either...

https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-lag-tvs-gaming-by-gamers/
...And yet another best-of list that has zero Plasma's listed.

I can continue to post comparison articles from a dozen more sites, but I rest my case.

You have a choice to believe a plethora of sites with comparisons, hard number statistics, and testimonies.  Or you can believe some rando's opinion on a niche forum. 
 :dunno

Surely the point that they don't make Plasma anymore can't be lost on you... It should be obvious why, on sites where they making shopping recommendations for this year, they don't discuss plasma. They don't discuss crt either and yet, no display tech is better for gaming.

For gaming, display technology has been on a downward trajectory since the decline of CRT. Oled is the first ray of sunshine we've had in this space for a while.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2019, 11:05:43 am »
Surely the point that they don't make Plasma anymore can't be lost on you... It should be obvious why, on sites where they making shopping recommendations for this year, they don't discuss plasma.

Indeed. The last plasma TVs ended sale five years ago. I can't believe a 2019 buyers guide doesn't discuss them!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2019, 12:45:46 pm »
This thread is about OLED’s, and what’s the best current options. If I’m going to buy older tech, plasma would be the last thing I’d get. Never on the last 10 years have I heard plasma was great for gaming. So whatever is said about plasmas here isn’t going to convince me. But feel free to start your own love-letter thread about plasma.

Back on topic, OLED TV’s! Greatest current option for gaming!! Hands down.

Black levels are fantastic. Input lag, on-point. Even my C9 Panel LG 65” OLED takes some of the problematic sync rates other TV’s have trouble with. Like the notorious F3 arcade hardware!

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2019, 12:57:46 pm »
Did QD ever become a thing or was it abandoned?

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2019, 04:26:18 pm »
Samsung use QD in their QLED units.  Over here in the UK at least it's usually LG with OLED vs Samsung with QLED,  I looked at both (IMHO the OLED was a better picture) I then went with a Panasonic which is neither OLED or QLED but was 10" Bigger and 300 cheaper :)  A friend of mine went with the 55" LG OLED and the picture, especially with 4K source is amazing.  I really must set him up with a mame setup using CRT Shader/scanlines etc and see what that plays like :)

Moksi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 04:23:40 am »
WOuld like to see some pics of the oled owners with example running mame on it

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 11:51:11 am »

They're a mixed bag for mame. On the one hand, they have the best pixel response time and do a great job with shaders and other effects. They look much better than on any LCD and obviously, the contrast is unmatched. On the other hand, they suffer from the same problem as other 4k tvs in that upscaled 240p and 480i content looks horrible. So, you'd still need to invest in a quality upscaler and not one of the cheaper line doublers or deinterlacers. LG oleds do not do a great job with 480p content on their own. Plus, unlike CRT and Plasma, they have an issue with motion blur like lcds. And, unlike with movie and TV content, you can't really use interpolation to solve it in game mode. So it's down to black frame insertion, which some like more than others.

I have a 77" oled in my living room but I still choose to use my CRT arcade monitors for 240p, 480i and 480p games. I use the Oled for anything 720p and above. The PS3 looks particularly amazing on Oled displays. Thanks to that amazing contrast I can see details I never knew were there before.

You won't be able to tell any of that from pictures.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 02:24:29 pm »

I rarely run Mame now-a-days. But I can post some images or original hardware, running through a supergun to OSSC if you're interested.

My C9 panel LG 65" has taken every arcade PCB I've thrown at it, including some of the sync timing problem ones like the Taito F3 (Bubble Symphony / Bubble Bobble II, Ray Force, etc...) which outputs a sync signal that is problematic for some TV's to process. 
Mame users might not have this issue since the timings are probably all (inaccurately) crushed into some standard that most displays can handle.

On the other hand, they suffer from the same problem as other 4k tvs in that upscaled 240p and 480i content looks horrible. So, you'd still need to invest in a quality upscaler and not one of the cheaper line doublers or deinterlacers. LG oleds do not do a great job with 480p content on their own.
Definitely get a good upscaler (like the OSSC) for 4k tv's.  Relying on any tv's internal upscaler is a roll of the dice, tbh. 

But as for 480p content, my new 2019 C9 panel has taken all my old consoles at 480p with no issues.  Dreamcast 480p enabled games look amazing. PS2 480p is fantastic as well.
Perhaps the previous LG OLED panels were having issues with 480p, but this new panel has been the tits so far.

Plus, unlike CRT and Plasma, they have an issue with motion blur like lcds.
This is just false. There is no issue with motion blur, these panels are fast enough to have a clean image processed in motion, and there aren't any artifacts or "smear" during fast motions.   Please post a video of these issues you speak of.
Because I'm able to game on mine without noticing any motion blur issues...

Moksi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2019, 04:09:43 am »

I rarely run Mame now-a-days. But I can post some images or original hardware, running through a supergun to OSSC if you're interested.

My C9 panel LG 65" has taken every arcade PCB I've thrown at it, including some of the sync timing problem ones like the Taito F3 (Bubble Symphony / Bubble Bobble II, Ray Force, etc...) which outputs a sync signal that is problematic for some TV's to process. 
Mame users might not have this issue since the timings are probably all (inaccurately) crushed into some standard that most displays can handle.

YEs im interested in some pictures especially Mame , i bought a little crt sony trinitron month ago to connect older consoles to it
 i made an arcade cab with a 27 inch BenQ RL2755HM  monitor. (connected with a scanline switch)
So since the oled produce better results it will look better , guess have to wait for 27 inch to arrive

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 07:20:16 am »
Plus, unlike CRT and Plasma, they have an issue with motion blur like lcds.
This is just false. There is no issue with motion blur, these panels are fast enough to have a clean image processed in motion, and there aren't any artifacts or "smear" during fast motions.   Please post a video of these issues you speak of.
Because I'm able to game on mine without noticing any motion blur issues...

He's not wrong that's just a tech fact, there is more than a single blur-generating characteristic to displays.
It is way too strong to call it an issue though because it isn't one.

OLEDs as they are sold now like LCDs use sample-and-hold to refresh the screen, which unlike Plasma and CRT creates motion persistence. At 60Hz there is no question that the latter two are better in that aspect.

BUT, you're right that it is also true that with perfect pixel response OLEDs are good-enough, leaving LCDs in the dust motion-wise even if they're both sample-and-hold techs.
For most users that's enough a progress in motion perception compared to LCDs, and I agree with them.
And we indeed don't have new Plasma sets to buy now, only used models with indeed often more lag than today's available average, obsolete processing, and no fancy stuff like 4K or HDR.

MicroLED future alternative likely will use sample-and-hold too, but that tech could be sturdy-enough so that manufacturers would quit chickening-out from introducing pro-tier blur reduction like those Sony monitors feature, to the mainstream market.
(The only OLEDs to offer non-sample-and-hold are the high-end Sony broadcast monitors, the LG TVs have strobing but as an inferior method not really fit for gaming)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:27:26 am by schmerzkaufen »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 12:34:47 pm »
Some of the potential issues (with any display tech) seem to bother some people more than others. I know people who are driven mad when they notice blur on an Oled or LCD. I also know plenty who don't notice it at all unless it's specifically pointed out to them. It's the same with input lag to an extent. Some claim they can notice a 10ms difference while others think it's BS and 10ms is not perceivable.

I would encourage anyone to go see it for themselves before investing in a nice Oled. And, if possible take your source material with you to a store. You never really know what will or won't bother you until you see it.

I concur with the view that Oled is the best display tech currently available for HD gaming.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2019, 01:04:09 pm »
Here's a video of my 4-year old playing Double Dragon Neon on our 77" LG Oled:

He likes to add his own sound effects. I'm not sure how much you can really tell from a video of a display but games like this (and anything PS3 and later) look fantastic on a large Oled. They play pretty well on the LG models too.

I'll try and get some footage with older low res content and post it tomorrow but these 4k sets suck for anything 240p / 480i or 480p. A problem that will only get worse with 8k...

Moksi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2019, 05:04:38 am »
Like to see how the old school mame arcade games look on it.

lcd is known to produce these blocky images with those type games

but if the colour results are quiet like an crt this is a good improvement

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2019, 05:40:59 pm »

I'm planning to take some footage when I unpack my mame pc (we're in the process of moving). I can tell you that I don't think these or any other 4k display makes a good mame monitor. The more you upscale a low res image, the more noise and other issues you get. The image will look jaggy even with an XRGB mini or HLSL shaders (although both these things help). It looks noticeably worse, imo, than on my 1080p and 1440p monitors.

Oleds give you better contrast and a faster pixel response time than LCD. Both these things make a noticeable difference but, if the goal is to get the best image for 240p, 480i and 480p games, you can't beat a CRT. If you're looking for a dedicated mame monitor, I'd look elsewhere. If you play newer games (ps3 and later) LG Oleds are among the best currently gaming TV's.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2019, 09:54:48 pm »

Free crt.

Moksi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2019, 03:42:30 am »
 i have an benq 27 inch BenQ RL2755HM  for the cab.
and i use a small crt trinitron mostly for some older consoles of course lcd cannot compare with crt.
 what irritates me most now is the contrast of the lcd.
looked at some of the oled vs lcd on google.

oled vs lcd the colours of the oled for sure pop out and refresh rate also better like you said.
its a step in the better direction with the colours just curious
guess i have to wait until some 27 inch monitor becomes available

i like to play old school mame but also the newer arcade games taito sega ring edge
not an crt expert but with newer games doesnt it give trouble displaying those 1080 hd games

if you post some of your pics with hlsl and without , curious how it looks though
when i checked oled vs lcd they compared them mainly in the dark

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2019, 11:07:55 am »
Sure would be nice if we saw some pics rather than more posts of you jerking off about how the monitor you coincidentally own is the best.  (*looks at all of you*)

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2019, 01:15:37 pm »
Sure would be nice if we saw some pics rather than more posts of you jerking off about how the monitor you coincidentally own is the best.  (*looks at all of you*)

I've tried but the blacks on my Plasma are so DEEP that it sucks all the light out of the room.  Impossible to photograph.   ;D

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2019, 01:47:38 pm »
 :laugh2:

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2019, 03:09:32 pm »
This guy made a semi almost interesting video comparing a 4k Oled to an 8k lcd. It says what many of us already know but still worth a (quick) look:

It annoys me that manufacturers are already trying to push 8k tv's and not just because I don't believe I'd notice any benefit. We have only just started to see a trickle of 4k content. It's not even a cable TV standard yet. Only the next gen of consoles, that aren't out until next year, will be capable of acceptable 4k performance. Just as the world is starting to catch up, out comes the rug from under our feet.... again...

It should be obvious to these guys that everything looks best at native res and flat-screen tv's only have one of those. Must we watch everything with upscaling noise forever more.... And, as gamers, it just creates more issues for very little benefit.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2019, 06:36:00 pm »
There isn't any noise or distortion upscaling 1080p to 4k. It's an integer scale so one pixel from the input just becomes 4 pixels on the display. I use 1080p sources on my 4k TV all the time.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2019, 06:39:14 pm »
Bigger is always better, more resolution is always better.

Still waiting on pics.

:cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2019, 10:38:03 pm »
There isn't any noise or distortion upscaling 1080p to 4k. It's an integer scale so one pixel from the input just becomes 4 pixels on the display. I use 1080p sources on my 4k TV all the time.
^ Yup, this.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2019, 06:24:18 am »
Definitely not all 4K displays offer a clean perfect 4x multiplication of 1080p, forced processing with interpolation is widespread, which isn't good for people who need clean integers.
It is a common mistake to assume because a display's native res is a multiple of a source that it will diplay it multiplied without issues, not all TVs and monitors actually have a setting allowing that, manufacturers are very good at ruining the simplest things.

Now of course if a forced treatment is very light and balanced the loss in details and integers can be so moderate people don't notice (Sony do that well, but they also offer unprocessed 4x on several of their TVs)

Just doing the math, thinking of multiple or more resolution real estate, does not guarantee scaling either integer or fractional will be clean or good.
Displays are not just AV science, they're also a lot of products knowledge. If only the former mattered we could buy any display and always have the same quality.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:36:54 am by schmerzkaufen »

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2019, 03:36:58 pm »
It's always sexual with pbj.....

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2019, 04:11:33 pm »

That's true. Native 1080p and even 720p stuff looks good on LG Oleds. So, as I said, anything PS3 and above looks great (without any external scalers). The problem is with lower res content. You get excess noise with old SD TV content and  15khz or 31khz games look like my granny's gash (a bit of a mess). I.e. Horrible jaggies and noise on bright solid colors. Integer or not, old 240p arcade games look noticeably worse than on my 1080p monitors and they never looked great on those either.

I use my 12" Oled tablet for mame when traveling which is 1600p and it's a different story. You still need HLSL but the end result is pleasing. The lower res and smaller size seems to help a lot.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2019, 05:10:50 pm »
I made some videos of old arcade games on the Oled using my PS3. I can't honestly say they capture the actual look. The camera seems to add a softening effect which makes games look a little better than they do in person but here they are anyway:

Simpsons with the PS3's smoothing effects:

Simpsons with the PS3's smoothing effects turned off:

And Metal Slug with smoothing and fake scanlines turned on:

You can see a bit noise on the metal slug video which I think is made a lot worse by the fake scanlines. I think HLSL effects in mame does a better job than the PS3's more basic scaling and smoothing. If you aren't using a PC with mame, you will want a decent scaler like an XRGB mini. I would suggesting avoiding all console emulators completely.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2019, 05:59:43 pm »
Nice contrast on the colors, though. 

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2019, 03:05:03 pm »
Nice contrast on the colors, though.

Yeah the contrast is unmatched. I can see details on ps3 games that I didn't know were there. One of my CRT monitors is an Ikegami TM20-90RH which is an uber high-end broadcast monitor. My Oleds are the only displays I have seen that can best them on contrast. The blacks are darker than the bezel so you don't even notice the 4:3 aspect ratio on the 16:9 screen.

It's just the extreme scaling required for old 15khz games that let's them down as an arcade monitor (like all 4k flatscreens). Until they invent a new display tech that can switch resolutions like CRT, this issue will get progressively worse.

Perhaps we'll get lucky and some industrious manufacturer will spot the opportunity to make a modern retro gaming oled with a 640 x 480 pitch, a 240 line mode and a 4:3 aspect ratio so we can avoid trying to scale 240 lines into 8000+.

Moksi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2019, 01:54:32 pm »
well confirmed that the contrasts & refresh rate is alot better than lcd thats a good option to get one

i just starting to tune the gamma brightness contrast in Mame on my lcd , with a crt trinitron the colors are right.
you can get close its not perfect so with time if oled monitors become available i want to have one 

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2019, 03:35:56 pm »
Oled monitors are already available. They are just expensive. The Sony BVM Oleds are amazing though. They're in a different league to the consumer Oled tv's in terms of motion blur. They have a suitably outrageous price to match.

For now, the best (realistic) option for gaming oleds is the 2018 and 2019 LG models. The smaller (55") models can be had new for well under $1000. LG seems to have finally understood the importance of low input lag on their game modes. Lag is now low enough to be undetectable. It's around 30ms. You can get a little less lag on a dedicated gaming monitor but I don't believe anyone can perceive a difference between 30ms and 15ms. Try counting to 1000 in 1 second to get a sense of how fast 1ms is.

Also, gaming on larger screens is just better. Driving, flying and light gun games are particularly awesome on a large screen.

Mark Norville

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2019, 08:38:58 am
  • Has gotten saint's attention
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2019, 08:23:41 am »
An interesting read, however a very worrying one. I say worrying simply because certain people on this thread kept mentioning PLASMA.

Yes I had to use caps for PLASMA simply because these people do not even understand that PLASMA is no longer produced because it was RUBBISH.

It was just another buzzword that was floated around every couple of years to make you upgrade to a new TV.

You want a TV or monitor for an arcade cabinet, using another buzz word. However you want to play retro games from twenty or thirty years ago.

IRONIC seems to be the buzz word here. What is the actual point of doing so? Unless you are using it also to game on with an xbox one x as well as emulation, then you might as well just buy a bog standard non BUZZWORD monitor.

As the saying goes, fools and their money easily parted. The industry has just released 4k and now they are getting ready for 8k so no matter what BUZZWORD you buy, it is already out of date.

However, please totally ignore people saying to purchase a plasma, they are not being produced any more, and it makes me shudder that in 2019 people do not know that.

Regards

Mark

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2019, 12:07:35 pm »
However, please totally ignore people saying to purchase a plasma, they are not being produced any more, and it makes me shudder that in 2019 people do not know that.

Ok.

The last plasma TVs ended sale five years ago.

As to the rest of your post: Go take your meds.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2019, 02:37:33 pm »
Yes I had to use caps for PLASMA simply because these people do not even understand that PLASMA is no longer produced because it was RUBBISH.

It was just another buzzword that was floated around every couple of years to make you upgrade to a new TV.

everything is rubbish when you compare it next to something else. everything has shortcomings, and strong points when compared to something else.

well... pre-plasma was DLP, which is not without it's own set of shortcomings... LCD DLP sorta solved SOME of those issues but introduced others... but in a nutshell, modified projection.

Pre-DLP was projection...which was basically modified CRT

plasma was the first large display direct viewing display since CRT. it was what was attainable with the technology at the time. large panel LCD's where  not feasible... where even 19" LCD panels where having large reject rates due to pixel defects let alone 30 or 40" panels. that's why them 50 and 60 inch panel TV's where 20 grand.

it's really only natural that as the technology gets better, the technology changes. i'm sure if you beamed the information telepathically directly into your brain, people would still complain about lag and...i dunno... visual retention...or some ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2019, 01:26:54 pm »
An interesting read, however a very worrying one. I say worrying simply because certain people on this thread kept mentioning PLASMA.

You want a TV or monitor for an arcade cabinet, using another buzz word. However you want to play retro games from twenty or thirty years ago.

IRONIC seems to be the buzz word here. What is the actual point of doing so? Unless you are using it also to game on with an xbox one x as well as emulation, then you might as well just buy a bog standard non BUZZWORD monitor.

As the saying goes, fools and their money easily parted. The industry has just released 4k and now they are getting ready for 8k so no matter what BUZZWORD you buy, it is already out of date.

Regards

Mark

Everyone knows that plasma is not produced any more. We all know that CRT is not produced any more too and yet, it's still the best tech for retro gaming by miles.

Plasma production didn't stop because it was rubbish. It was just less cost effective and most people don't care about image quality. They just want cheap. Anybody who ACTUALLY understands display tech knows that plasma is a superior technology to LCD.

Mark Norville

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2019, 02:41:36 pm »
CRT is only superior for gaming, simply because if you are old, then that is what we grew up with, so in our minds it was better for gaming.

It is like being alive when Ghostbusters came out, we all hate the female reboot of Ghostbusters, the list is endless about what we like and what we do not like.

I personally hate EVERYTHING about today's society. However, that is digressing. Give me a time machine and I will gladly go back to the 70's, 80's and the 90's again. No faceyawn, no idiots staring at their mobile phones as they walk down the streets, no cat videos, the list is endless.

However, do you drive? Do you have a ferrari? The chances are no, but you settle for what you can afford.

As I have said before, every few years they bring out new technology to sell more TV sets, it is not about being better, it is just about bringing the companies in more money. Yes technology moves forwards and it always will do, however that will always come at the expensive of the rich mugs who hand their money over to them.

The same as digital media is doing now, gamers paying for digital content and digital download instead of buying hard copies. Games companies charging £30 for a year or more old game, that I can buy for a couple of pounds in a second hand games shop.

The more you feed their greed, the more they will take.

Regards

Mark

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2019, 03:22:41 pm »

everything is rubbish when you compare it next to something else. everything has shortcomings, and strong points when compared to something else.

well... pre-plasma was DLP, which is not without it's own set of shortcomings... LCD DLP sorta solved SOME of those issues but introduced others... but in a nutshell, modified projection.

Pre-DLP was projection...which was basically modified CRT

plasma was the first large display direct viewing display since CRT. it was what was attainable with the technology at the time. large panel LCD's where  not feasible... where even 19" LCD panels where having large reject rates due to pixel defects let alone 30 or 40" panels. that's why them 50 and 60 inch panel TV's where 20 grand.

it's really only natural that as the technology gets better, the technology changes. i'm sure if you beamed the information telepathically directly into your brain, people would still complain about lag and...i dunno... visual retention...or some ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

Mark Norville

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2019, 03:47:56 pm »
You could do that for oled and qled, porsche and ferrari, tom and jerry or more famously VHS and Betamax

You always have technology wars, between one and the other, you always have a new format coming out every so often just to sell more TV's as I keep saying.

However, to give a more game related theme PS4 and Xbox one X you have fan boys from all sides saying one is better than the other. It will never change.

Oled is over kill for retro gaming as to what the original post was about, in my eyes at least, I am playing the same game as someone else is, if you want to play Sonic on a $30 monitor or a $3,000 monitor, it is all the same game. I am not going to lose sleep or pay an extra $2,970 just to play a 30 year old game, because it is 2 pixels sharper than a $30 monitor.

If someone really wants to play retro games on a $3,000 monitor, that is up to them.

Figures are just an example and not a real price.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2019, 07:28:09 pm »
As promised here’s some shots of my LG OLED 4K 65”, running a Sega Saturn - RGB to an OSSC outputting 5x mode 1080p.

As you can see the image quality is fantastic, the blacks are deep, you can’t even make the distinction of the black frame from the displayed black pixels.

And of course, motion is spot on. I was playing Dodonpachi, a fairly dense high rate pixel game and was getting no noise or ghosting of the image in motion.
Note: the Outrun port on the Saturn runs at 60fps. It’s like butter on this display.  :cheers:

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2019, 09:20:21 pm »
Good lord that looks awesome.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2019, 09:22:58 pm »
It's crisp as hell I'll give it that.  I just keep looking at the price tag every time I aim to pull the trigger.  My hp 2009m is getting pretty long in the tooth.... so is the pc it came with for that matter. 

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2019, 02:58:08 pm »
It's crisp as hell I'll give it that.  I just keep looking at the price tag every time I aim to pull the trigger.  My hp 2009m is getting pretty long in the tooth.... so is the pc it came with for that matter.

Just go for it. The prices on the "smaller" 55" and 65" models are a bargain right now for what you get. You only live once!

My Oled displays make me happy every time I turn them on. If you're someone who appreciates a quality display then they're a no-brainer. Driving games are especially awesome on a large Oled. And... you did just build an awesome driving cab that is in need of an equally awesome monitor...

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2019, 03:14:07 pm »
A few more shots of upscaling some arcade boards through the HAS Supergun and OSSC.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2019, 03:15:44 pm »
That’s all, folks.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2019, 10:58:37 pm »
I can’t tell from the pics, but does the OSSC introduce scanlines, phosphor glow, etc?  It looks like on the close ups you have some scan lines but it’s hard to tell.  I hadn’t heard of the device until your post.  It looks like an upscaler, but curious to know if it introduces CRT effects?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2019, 12:35:39 am »
I can’t tell from the pics, but does the OSSC introduce scanlines, phosphor glow, etc?  It looks like on the close ups you have some scan lines but it’s hard to tell.  I hadn’t heard of the device until your post.  It looks like an upscaler, but curious to know if it introduces CRT effects?

Yes, there are scanline options for making them lighter, or darker or none at all.  You can also make the scanlines crosshatched like a Gameboy screen. That’s all the ‘CRT-like’ options there are though. The glow you’re seeing is probably just the light glare onto the camera.

The OSSC is the best upscaler on the market. It’s affordable for a high end scaler, available everywhere (because it’s open-sourced) and constantly being updated. They just released a firmware that introduces an OSD, which makes it even more awesome.
I highly recommend it!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:38:51 am by opt2not »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2019, 02:22:36 am »
Yes, there are scanline options for making them lighter, or darker or none at all.  You can also make the scanlines crosshatched like a Gameboy screen. That’s all the ‘CRT-like’ options there are though. The glow you’re seeing is probably just the light glare onto the camera.

You can do better than make it look like a GB dot matrix screen tho, horizontal and vertical line are adjustable independently and there's tricks to change the look.

Plus there's the hybrid scanlines setting to make the brightness distribution more realistic, that kinda works as a compensation for glow.

For me it's adjustable-enough a feature to make an honourable CRT-like imitation.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1366119#p1366119
(shi* many pics gone, the hori lines are very pronounced here but you can have the other way around with more faint lines and bigger dots if you want)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 06:24:55 am by schmerzkaufen »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2019, 04:49:30 pm »
I think the perception of an additional phosphor glow effect on a crt vs other display tech only really applies to LCD. CRT, Plasma and Oled all light pixels individually by applying electricity to phosphors . The pixels on LCD displays don't "glow" in the same way because they don't output light. The light comes from a white back-light. Oled pixels glow like CRT but they are considerably brighter.

The way we remember CRT's from the arcades is also effected by the signal from original PCBs. Old CGA and EGA pcbs output a 3-5v rgb signal VS just 0.7v from consumer RGB and VGA PCBs. If you display both  unaltered on the same monitor, the CGA PCB would be considerably brighter. Standard definition arcade monitors are set to a lower peak brightness to compensate but original CGA PCBs still tend to look brighter compared to a PC outputting the same game with groovymame (unless you go through a Supergun with a resistor array).

I did some testing a while ago with my original SF2 CE PCB and my Neo Geo MVS on my CRT arcade monitors to check if the output from my groovymame PC looked the same. Even with my RGB signal booster, the original PCB looked way brighter than the same games from groovymame. I was able to replicate the look of the original by increasing the contrast and adjusting the gamma setting in mame though.

I use both Oled and CRT arcade monitors  and my view is that the pixel glow is noticeably greater on the Oled. The extra contrast with Oled really adds to this perception. I think Oleds do a nicer job (than LCDs) with CRT-like effects too. It's not as good as a CRT for old 240p games but the look is as close (to CRT) as I've seen on flatscreen tech, especially on smaller Oleds. I use a 12" 1600p oled tablet for mame when I travel and it looks fairly authentic:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2019, 05:38:55 pm »
I think the perception of an additional phosphor glow effect on a crt vs other display tech only really applies to LCD. CRT, Plasma and Oled all light pixels individually by applying electricity to phosphors . The pixels on LCD displays don't "glow" in the same way because they don't output light. The light comes from a white back-light. Oled pixels glow like CRT but they are considerably brighter.

I think the reference to Phosphor glow isn’t in relation to the pixels themselves but rather the halo effect around the pixels that you get on a CRT.  Meaning the persistence of light from the neighboring phosphor as the beam is scanning across the screen.  Here’s an example on the right:

And another one here:

Edit:  you bring up a good point about the brightness levels from a PCB vs. computer graphics card, that does play a factor in a GroovyMame setup for sure.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 05:44:23 pm by Arroyo »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2019, 10:54:32 am »
That halo effect is considered an artifact by some and not something that should be replicated. The bloom which has a softening effect and masks visible gaps between scanlines is most prevalent on low quality CRTs (especially when contrast is set too high as it often was in arcades). On high end CRTs there is very bleeding of light between pixels as it kills contrast and detail.

The image on an Oled with mame's shaders turned on, or via a decent scaler resembles a high end crt more than an arcade monitor. If you crave an authentic arcade look (as I do usually) nothing beats a CRT arcade monitor. If that same image was displayed on an Oled the background would be jet black with clean edges to the bright white text. It provides technical excellence more than authenticity.

With LCDs on the other hand, they do have a halo effect which kills contrast. It's considered one of their biggest weaknesses. I think you're still better off with an Oled display if it has to be an HD flat screen.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2021, 08:03:15 am »
This is a fantastic thread guys! Lots of very good information here. Seems like LG is leading the way when it comes to OLED TV's. It's been two years since the last Post in this thread and OLED technology has no doubt advanced since then.

I'm thinking about picking up a 55-65" OLED TV for old retro 2D games because as we all know, the cost of maintenance and upkeep for a traditional CRT monitor is not practical and makes owning one more of a hassle than it's worth in today's age.

What do you guys think about using an OLED as a replacement for a traditional CRT? Two years on, are there any newish high end premium OLED TV's or monitors that, when calibrated and tweaked properly, can match the PQ of a good old CRT arcade monitor? If so, what brands and model number should I be looking at? Will a good OLED, coupled with the right CRT filters in MAME/RetroArch, match or even out do a real CRT in PQ?

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2021, 10:36:58 am »
OLED tech really hasn't advanced all that much in the last two years. The phone/tablet screen market has been completely static. With the consumer TV market has added slightly brighter screens on their high end models, a half-assed variable refresh implementation and 48" screen sizes.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2021, 04:39:36 pm »
because as we all know, the cost of maintenance and upkeep for a traditional CRT monitor is not practical and makes owning one more of a hassle than it's worth in today's age.

What cost of maintenance?

I have an arcade room with more than 20 games that have CRTs. CRT Upkeep and the cost of that upkeep has been minimal.

I am sure I have spent a fraction of what one new OLED TV costs in CRT maintenance for 20 some displays.

Just say you want a new TV and you don't want to learn how to fix CRTs. That would be a perfectly valid and understandable statement.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 02:38:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2021, 04:40:04 am »

Just say you . That would be a perfectly valid and understandable statement.

Ummmm, OK..... I want a new TV and you don't want to learn how to fix CRTs

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2021, 06:00:55 am »
I guess I will spell out my point better.
I am tired of people here making ignorant statements about CRT reliability and maintenance.
It scares new people away from learning about them.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2021, 01:29:24 pm »
i dunno, i fix them all the time and i hate them.

if the game doesn't REQUIRE a CRT like a light gun game, it's getting an LCD cause i have piles of games that NEED CRT's and they are absolutely toast and unfixable.

at this point we are selling off/trashing CRT required games cause we just can't deal with fixing them any longer.

just stripped out a point blank 2 cab cause the monitor is burnt as all hell and the guns don't pick up in the ever so slightly darker areas that are cooked... which is absolute horse puckey... chassis is perfect, but it doesn't work for the game that's cooked into it...and putting it in another game just means you get to see all kinds of weird burnt in crap all over the screen while you play.

so it now has a 27" LCD and a 3000-in-1 installed in it and goin on canadiancraigslist shortly. probably sell the trash-in-1 game for more than the PB2 game made in it's lifetime.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2021, 04:25:37 pm »
Everything you said makes me sad.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2021, 10:06:31 pm »
He’s keeping games alive on location in current year and inspiring another generation of 11 year olds to fill their house with gigantic crap that can only run one game.  You aren’t even welding?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2021, 12:40:32 pm »
He’s keeping games alive on location in current year and inspiring another generation of 11 year olds to fill their house with gigantic crap that can only run one game.  You aren’t even welding?

:laugh2:

On the upside, the deed has been done...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2021, 12:48:13 pm »
Thanks.

Now I have to rinse my eyes with bleach.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2021, 02:18:52 pm »
Thanks.

Now I have to rinse my eyes with bleach.

thinking about spray painting the front part fluorescent orange... and the sides teal green, what do you think?

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2021, 01:21:33 pm »
I still play modern FPS games on my plasma.  No blurring and it's free to run in the cooler months because it helps to heat the room.  :lol