Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: State of Vector, where we at?  (Read 7718 times)

tommyinajar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
State of Vector, where we at?
« on: September 27, 2019, 02:25:36 pm »
Nutshell version-
 I'm getting a Starwars yoke and Some original Wicos for Black Widow.

What is the best way reasonably, to duplicate vector graphics?

15 years ago it was a CRT with sharpness and brightness maxed out or somesuchsh*t. Any new vector monitors, or video cards, vector emulators or what is the current best options? Thanks!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:54 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
Re: State of Vector, where we at?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 03:14:30 pm »
IMO it stinks.  There are some interesting developments I've read about on KLOV for getting multiple games onto an FPGA board and driving Vector monitors, that is really interesting to me.  But once you've played a game on a real Vector everything else (LCD, raster CRT), looks lame.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:12:39 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 03:20:33 pm »
Yeah. Its funny the reactions I get to my Asteroids Deluxe. People really love the visual impact of that game. Even the color vectors don't really compare. My Tempest gets treated like just another game, but I always get comments about asteroids. 

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 05:31:22 pm »
Some folks here have got some decent results using a CRT and some bloom filters to emulate Vectors. But it's not the same thing.  You don't get that brightness "glow" falloff you do with a real Vector Monitor. 

There have been some developments in converting regular raster CRT's into Vector monitors, with a newly developed chassis driver board, and re-winding the tube yoke.  But IMO that's an expensive and time invested task to take on.

Another option, if you have an actual Vector monitor, is to try to acquire a Zektor ZVG board and run VectorMame.  There are a handful of youtube videos showing this off.  The problem is the ZVG boards are rare and expensive. They pop up from time to time on the KLOV forum marketplace, but are usually snatched up quick.

All in all, there hasn't been that much progress on Vector game support. Unless money and time is no object to you, you might want to look into the CRT filters and running on a standard CRT.

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 12:24:36 pm »
 That's not what I was hoping for...

I'd think with the tech available today, SOMEBODY- would have found a way to emulate, build, repurpose something to copy 1980's technology.

I would like to think that a 19-inch NEW Vector monitor at say- $299 would sell out.

try to acquire a Zektor ZVG board and run VectorMame.  There are a handful of youtube videos showing this off.  The problem is the ZVG boards are rare and expensive. They pop up from time to time on the KLOV forum marketplace, but are usually snatched up quick.

YOWZERSER!!!!

Yeah. Its funny the reactions I get to my Asteroids Deluxe. People really love the visual impact of that game. Even the color vectors don't really compare. My Tempest gets treated like just another game, but I always get comments about asteroids. 

Definitely cool, I put it right below Dragon's lair as one of the best looking (IE Jealous)

I think that 99% has to do with the funky backdrop  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 12:35:33 pm by tommyinajar »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 01:20:10 pm »
I'm running Star Wars using a CRT - it's ok. Definitely not the same experience as a vector. My tempest was using a LCD. Between the two, I much prefer the LCD monitor for vector games, but both fall short of the real deal.

markiej

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2020, 02:15:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 07:23:56 pm »
I'm running Star Wars using a CRT - it's ok. Definitely not the same experience as a vector. My tempest was using a LCD. Between the two, I much prefer the LCD monitor for vector games, but both fall short of the real deal.

MAME64's vector settings love pixels.  on a 4K screen, where you can throw 1620x2160 (vertical) or 2880x2160 (horizontal), you can get very eye-pleasing results - I don't have a tempest machine lying around to compare, but probably doesn't compare all that well.  I haven't got the settings exactly where I want them just yet, but close (some bloom, some trails):

doesn't do it justice when not in motion with that crazy jaws beat.  ALso you don't see those little echos, it's a blur - this is what print screen grabbed.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 05:23:42 pm »
Echoing lew, LCDs/LEDs are the best general rendering of vector graphics with even HLSL (minus the backlighting of LCDs...., and minus the breakage of at least some vector games in screen transition with HLSL enabled). See image below, a basic snap.

I don't know from where this 'given technology nowadays' comes.....

sroberts

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2023, 09:51:53 pm
  • Will my game cabinet ever be finished??
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 10:08:23 pm »
Vector graphics has been a thorn for me since I first started with MAME in the 90s.  I'm preparing for the 4th incarnation of my game cabinet, and would really like to get Asteroids working at a minimum.  Battlezone would be my ultimate goal but I'd have to expand controls.

What is a suitable, easily available setup for vector graphics - a 4K LED or LCD monitor, 64 bit mame running on Windows?  Any particular graphics card?   Ideally I'd prefer Linux but I never had success with MAME and OpenGL drivers.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 11:46:13 pm »
Vector graphics has been a thorn for me since I first started with MAME in the 90s.  I'm preparing for the 4th incarnation of my game cabinet, and would really like to get Asteroids working at a minimum.  Battlezone would be my ultimate goal but I'd have to expand controls.

What is a suitable, easily available setup for vector graphics - a 4K LED or LCD monitor, 64 bit mame running on Windows?  Any particular graphics card?   Ideally I'd prefer Linux but I never had success with MAME and OpenGL drivers.

How into it are you?  I've been getting pretty deep and the recent developments by some talented people is downright amazing.  You can now:

1.) Build your own vector monitor: (reproduction Amplifone deflector board and HV cage) with a standard 90 degree CRT tube (read TV). https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=439426
2.) Own FPGA reproduction of original Vector PCB's (cinematronics/Taito/Midway/Atari) through efforts of folks on KLOV. https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=438283 AND https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=430077
3.) Lastly there are efforts to create a USB DVG (USB Pluggable Digital Vector Generator) that will allow you to send Vector based graphics from your MAME PC...AND there is an effort to create the same thing but for the MiSTer project.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/Vectrex.XY.and.Vector.monitors.The.Technical.Side/?fref=nf  (May need to get accepted to the group first)

The last point will allow you to play Vector games on a vector display with a MAME PC rig.  The last will allow you to play the MiSTer FPGA games through a vector display.

All that is to say that the state of Vector games couldn't be more exciting.  A little patience and effort and you could have a very close to original reproduction in your house.

sroberts

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2023, 09:51:53 pm
  • Will my game cabinet ever be finished??
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 09:26:07 am »
Arroyo, thanks for the links.  I'm not into it enough to buy an oscilloscope (mine broke years ago), which after scanning the 42 pages of "Build your own vector monitor" I gather is essential.  Not willing to rejoin facebook either.  So put me down as a lightweight, I'd likely be satisfied with markiej's or Mr. Peabody's setups.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 07:33:17 pm »
I’m not into it enough to buy an oscilloscope (mine broke years ago), which after scanning the 42 pages of "Build your own vector monitor" I gather is essential.  Not willing to rejoin facebook either.

I’m not planning on buying an oscilloscope.  Just using a vector game board to do convergence, linearity, etc.  the USB-DVG will also be the equivalent of a pattern generator for vectors so that will be handy I suppose.  But yeah no oscilloscope for me (at least for this project )

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 10:24:25 am »
I've played with Mame settings and never seemed to get it to change the look of my vector games. Does it only work via hlsl?

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 02:54:16 pm »
I've played with Mame settings and never seemed to get it to change the look of my vector games. Does it only work via hlsl?

Yeah, you need HLSL enabled.

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 09:25:27 am »
Reviving thread- Brainstorm-

Why doesn't someone with the know-how, start a go fund me page? Between here and KLOV and whomever, I bet it would fly.
IDK Maybe a retrofit kit to add on to an existing (getting scarce) tv, at minimum- A 19" complete for sub $600 would be ideal, which Im guessing would be at least a $450 profit to offset startup costs.

I think Alan1 took off with just a wheel to 4 video games, not a vector monitor that was in a 100? (IDK someone chime in I'm curious now on the number of vector games)

There has to be a billion unused TV parts in crates somewhere. With Raspberries and 3d plastics, I can't believe you can't copy or improve over 50 year old tech...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 02:43:44 pm »
Here's the problem.... vector games need vector monitors.... there's no substitute.  Those need CRTs and there is one company left that still manufactures crt tubes.  Then you need the special winding required for a vector driver board.  That's just not at all practical in 2020.  If you use used parts sure, you might get a stop gap for a while, but eventually every tube on the planet is going to go bad.  Also there's lack of demand.  I appreciate vector graphics but a lot of people could care less.  The people in mid-life crisis mode right now are folks that grew up in the 80's and 90's... and those are the kinds of people that typically want to get into obscure hobbies like ours, if only for a while.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 04:16:02 am »
Isn't there a real danger of a Vector display catching fire?

I know that the Star Trek Simulator was notorious for this.

Was it the G08 that was used in the Sega Vector Games at the time like Space Fury?

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 07:33:06 am »
The key to emulating a vector monitor is resolution.

Conventional monitors, whether they are CRT or LCD based, will never look exactly like a vector monitor because the technology is fundamentally different. However, the higher a conventional monitor's resolution is, the more convincingly it can emulate the look of a vector monitor.

The good news is that, these days, the best monitors have a very high resolution indeed. The resolution of a 4K monitor must be fairly close to the phosphor dot pitch resolution of a traditional vector monitor.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 08:47:13 am »
Isn't there a real danger of a Vector display catching fire?

I know that the Star Trek Simulator was notorious for this.

Was it the G08 that was used in the Sega Vector Games at the time like Space Fury?

The G08’s were notorious for having over heating issues.  There’s been work done to help minimize that.  The same can be said for the WG 6100 which with a LV2000 kit or equivalent has removed this issue.  The last COLOR vector chassis the Amplifone was very stable and has run for years without issues.  The G08 had the fastest draw rate followed by the Amp, then the WG.

B&W vector monitors were all relatively stable.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 08:58:25 am »

Not really sure why you’ve come to this conclusion.  It would make sense to me if you were making this argument for Black & White  vector games a B&W CRT has no shadow mask.  They are special in that the resolution is unlimited, there are not dots.

This however isn’t true for color vector games as they have dots.  The size of those dots depends on the dot pitch of the CRT tube being used.  If you are trying to mimic that dot pitch I suppose a high resolution TV gives you more freedom in doing so.

The real key to a vector monitor IMHO is the Brightness and Contrast of the display. As a raster monitor is obligated to draw from left to right and from top to bottom it CANNOT match the brightness of a draw line that a vector can.  A vector deflection board doesn’t have this obligation.  The beam can be held at one point for as long as you want depending on how many other lines need to be drawn.  This is why a game like Asteroids looks like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- on any other display type.  On a vector monitor the shots in Asteroids look like fireworks, and the rest of the display is pitch black.

Same can be said for color vector games, the lines drawn are very bright, and the blacks around them are inky.  Once you’ve experienced it there really aren’t any alternatives.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2020, 09:04:59 am »

Why doesn't someone with the know-how, start a go fund me page? Between here and KLOV and whomever, I bet it would fly.
IDK Maybe a retrofit kit to add on to an existing (getting scarce) tv, at minimum- A 19" complete for sub $600 would be ideal, which Im guessing would be at least a $450 profit to offset startup costs.

Did you read my links above on post #10?

This has been done.  It will require you to do some work, but everything you would need to buy is there.  Maybe I’m missing something?

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2020, 10:29:55 am »

Not really sure why you’ve come to this conclusion.

I thought it was obvious. In the early days of MAME when most people were using relatively low resolution CRT monitors, the lines in vector games looked noticeably jagged, and that instantly killed the illusion that you were using a vector monitor.

That being said, I agree that brightness and contrast are also very important. I guess an OLED monitor would be the best current option in that regard, although still not as good as a genuine vector monitor.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2020, 11:59:47 am »
I have two of Barry's XY Kits and two of Fred's USB DVG turning up any day now.

I have a couple of spare 19" CRTs that should be compatible with the XY Kit so will let you know how I get on with rewinding the yoke.

Planning a repro Atari Star Wars, and a Multi-Vector cab.

Once you've seen vector in person, there ain't nothing can match it with software, imo.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2020, 01:09:41 pm »

I have a couple of spare 19" CRTs that should be compatible with the XY Kit so will let you know how I get on with rewinding the yoke.

Once you've seen vector in person, there ain't nothing can match it with software, imo.

This guy gets it ^^^

Just to give some examples of this here is my Asteroids (behind a Star Castle color overlay):

Here is my Tempest:

As you can see on the Asteroids (Black & White Vector, again with color overlay), the lines are perfectly crisp with zero pixels.  The Tempest on the other hand being a color vector has a shadow mask to separate the three colors.  As you can see it clearly has the dots.

Now here is my Sony PVM monitor showing the same pics with default settings in same:

As you can tell from the pics above the raster display can't update the pixels at the same brightness because of the time to sweep from left to right and top to bottom.

NuclearWarren

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:13:24 pm
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2020, 02:23:31 pm »
Here's what I'm seeing. This is LCD though. The BW games are likewise, not point to point lines, but not stair-steppy either. This is why resolution is a factor, the antialiasing.

First image is the one vector beam size set to 1, the next is set to 2 in Advmame 1.4

We're hitting the wall at the red levels!

ws

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2020, 02:45:40 pm »

Did you read my links above on post #10?

This has been done.  It will require you to do some work, but everything you would need to buy is there.  Maybe I’m missing something?

I can only assume that he's asking for a ready built monitor or a drop in kit that doesn't require any modification to the tubes, thus my reply on why this isn't really practical for a manufacturer to tackle.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2020, 03:15:32 pm »
Here's what I'm seeing. This is LCD though. The BW games are likewise, not point to point lines, but not stair-steppy either. This is why resolution is a factor, the antialiasing.

First image is the one vector beam size set to 1, the next is set to 2 in Advmame 1.4

We're hitting the wall at the red levels!

ws

I can appreciate what you are aiming for compared to a raster CRT with respect to resolution.  I get that.  However what is missing is a couple of things (I should have mentioned above):

1.) The glow or "bloom" around the drawn words and images (see my Asteroids pic above for a good example).
2.) The flicker effect (subtle but noticeable).
3.) The contrast.

LCD's do a great job at making a bright picture, but the blacks are not black due to the backlighting (OLED's are great for black levels, but not as bright). Some LCD's are better than others with the newest ones moving to backlit LED grids.  But getting the screen curvature, bloom, flicker and blacks to match CRT's is near impossible without an original.  Now this may be picky I understand, but it also becomes complicated when you have that many pixels to draw in a high resolution LCD/OLED to have the processor and graphics card keep up with the draw speed with that much scaling.  Input lag becomes much more noticeable.  So while these can be good approximations there are inherently many challenges with getting it to look and feel like the original hardware IMHO.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2020, 08:18:44 am »
I get my vector fix on Vectrex.  8)

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2020, 12:26:58 pm »
That's not what I was hoping for...

I'd think with the tech available today, SOMEBODY- would have found a way to emulate, build, repurpose something to copy 1980's technology.

I would like to think that a 19-inch NEW Vector monitor at say- $299 would sell out.

If there was such a thing, it would sell like ice water in Hell, but to too small of a customer base to be economically feasible.  40-year-old Wells Gardner 19K6100's sell for $1,000 these days in working condition, and that's a design with, shall we say, a checkered reliability history.  Problem is that nobody has manufactured a vector picture tube since the 80's, no factory is going to build new ones without a purchase order in the tens of thousands, and retrofitting a vintage CRT to be vector-compatible is a non-trivial task. 

In other words, don't hold your breath.  You're better off looking for a non-working vector monitor or cabinet and either fixing the monitor yourself or getting it fixed (I just did that with a Tempest over the summer).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:28:42 am by alfonzotan »

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2020, 02:05:49 am »

I can appreciate what you are aiming for compared to a raster CRT with respect to resolution.  I get that.  However what is missing is a couple of things (I should have mentioned above):

1.) The glow or "bloom" around the drawn words and images (see my Asteroids pic above for a good example).
2.) The flicker effect (subtle but noticeable).
3.) The contrast.

LCD's do a great job at making a bright picture, but the blacks are not black due to the backlighting (OLED's are great for black levels, but not as bright). Some LCD's are better than others with the newest ones moving to backlit LED grids.  But getting the screen curvature, bloom, flicker and blacks to match CRT's is near impossible without an original.  Now this may be picky I understand, but it also becomes complicated when you have that many pixels to draw in a high resolution LCD/OLED to have the processor and graphics card keep up with the draw speed with that much scaling.  Input lag becomes much more noticeable.  So while these can be good approximations there are inherently many challenges with getting it to look and feel like the original hardware IMHO.

OLEDs with modern graphics cards should be (mostly) up to the task. The WRBG type used for televisions are as bright as CRTs ever were and they could be printed onto a curved surface. They even have the image retention of CRTs. The two main problems right now are that motion isn't as smooth as CRTs and there just isn't a big enough market to make something like this affordable.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:50:40 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2021, 05:25:29 am »

I realize it has been a little while for this thread but just wondering if you have embarked on this journey yet Jimbo.
Seems that you are on the most promising path for making mame pc to legit vector monitor a reality- with stuff you can actually buy and build presently anyway!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2021, 06:09:23 am »
Hey bobbyb13...

I'm really looking forwards to starting on those 2 vector projects, but I need to finish a couple of others first (namely a couple of electrocoin midi jamma conversions to mame).   I've heard nothing but good things about the kits by Fred and Barry, so my hope is high that they will turn out great. :)

csnow

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2021, 08:22:54 am »
Has anyone looked at vector on OLED?  The higher contrast and inky blacks might be the best alternative. Granted this would have to be a pedestal arcade setup.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:50:40 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2021, 12:32:16 am »
Hey bobbyb13...

I'm really looking forwards to starting on those 2 vector projects, but I need to finish a couple of others first (namely a couple of electrocoin midi jamma conversions to mame).   I've heard nothing but good things about the kits by Fred and Barry, so my hope is high that they will turn out great. :)

Appreciate you chiming in Jimbo.
As most here it seems, you have a host of cool projects happening already!
I have a queue myself, and once I get through the current open ones, hopefully I can make the vector thing happen too.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.