Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Polybius Micro - Complete  (Read 13235 times)

markc74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:25 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
Polybius Micro - Complete
« on: September 23, 2019, 06:00:01 pm »
Well my other cab (Pip) is on the back-burner for a while as I work out some annoying little quirks (I totally underestimated the space I needed for internal cabling). It’s doable but I need a rest from it so I can come back to it later refreshed.

While I was building it I had a couple of mates ask me if I could do something similar for them so that made me think about what I could do to simplify the previous design now I’ve got a little more experience with builds of this size. There’s a lot I liked about Pip but I wanted something easier to make - that meant: no rotating screen, no LEDs, no painting.

I’m going to be making several of these. Three for friends, one for me, and maybe a couple to chuck on ebay seeing as I’m making templates for everything anyway. We’ll see.

Anyway - here's my render of what I'm going for:

I’ve gone for a classic Atari style. Wood grain vinyl on the sides, 12mm black t-molding and black vinyl around the other exposed parts. I might do one with a bit more futuristic artwork but retaining the same shape. I’m in the process of getting some CPO artwork printed

Originally I was going to try and make these as cheaply as possible but there really isn’t a lot of wriggle room with these. The things that you can cheap out on (buttons, sticks etc) seems pointless as you’re only saving a few quid here and there and the impact of that penny pinching just isn’t worth it. Same with the screen - I’m not putting widescreens in these as 99% of games that run on a Pi don’t use widescreen so I’m going for good quality 4:3 screens.

So parts list:

• Pi 3a (might use Pi4’s once they’ve sorted the firmware/emulators out)
  • Picade Hat (basically an ipac for pi’s that includes an amp and soft power/volume buttons) + harness
  • 8” IPS 1024x768 LCD
  • 5A 4ohm speaker
  • 6 mini arcade buttons
  • 1 8-way stick
  • Start/Select/Vol+/Vol-/Power buttons
  • 12mm black t-molding
  • 18x21cm clear perspex
  • Arcade cabinet handle
  • Oak Robust fablon vinyl for sides and matt black for top back and base
  • Rubber feet
  • 12mm MDF for sides and supports
  • 9mm MDF for top/back/base/CP
  • Black plastic angle strips (to hold the screen in)

I’ve quickly realised that these size builds have quite small tolerances so I’ve spent some time making some templates for the key parts. A lot of this build process will be me using those templates to make the final cabinet(s).

Update 1: Making the sides:

I’m making 3 initially so I got some 12mm MDF to cut the sides and the support panels. Rather than cut lots of small furring trips I thought it would be easier to have an ‘inner profile’ which was secured to the outside. This means for each cab I need to cut 2 profiles (left and right sides) and 2 inner profiles to support the top,back,base,speaker and CP areas.

Here’s some wood before cutting

And after (ones in the middle are the outside, right are inner profiles. Left side are what I’ll be using to house the LCDs)

And flush trimmed against a template I made earlier

Some progress made. I've got a bit more done but I need to sort out some pictures for it. Oh, and this thing is really small. 12" x 12" x 9". But I made a mockup of this one including the cabling first!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:28:36 pm by markc74 »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
Re: Micro Arcade / Polybius Mini
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 06:17:50 pm »
Subscribed!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 06:39:46 pm »
I like the look of that design.

Alejo I

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 06:55:34 pm
  • Trying something new
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 03:23:29 am »
I thought PiP was stellar, but this may be even better. That wood looks stunning on it.

Where did you source the display? How good/bad is the latency?

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 04:01:19 am »

Have you considered using the odroid platform.
What joystick/buttons have you gone for?

Is the amp on the picade any good?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:03:09 am by Richie_jones »

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 05:30:34 am »
Looks good Mark.  I love the fact you're building it in your garden :)

Looking forward to seeing this come together!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 12:28:14 pm »
I thought PiP was stellar, but this may be even better. That wood looks stunning on it.

Where did you source the display? How good/bad is the latency?

Thanks Alejo! The woodgrain comes from an Asteroids cabaret I made a while ago.

The display I'm using is this one --> https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/hdmi-8-lcd-screen-kit-1024x768

I haven't noticed any latency with it but I haven't set it against my CRT arcade running groovymame. I'm sure there will be some but it's definitely better than other LCD screens I've used.

Have you considered using the odroid platform.
What joystick/buttons have you gone for?

Is the amp on the picade any good?

I did consider it but as I have a few Pi's laying around and they plug directly into the PiCade I didn't see much benefit. If anything I'll move up to the Pi4 as I have most of the software setup and running now.

Joystick is this one --> https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/joystick 
It's quite clicky but it does feel quite good, especially in a small build where you need a lighter touch. I'll build the first 3 using these ones and then might think about using Sanwas in the other ones. I'll see how they feel when the whole thing is together.

Buttons are these --> https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/mini-arcade-buttons?variant=40377171338
These feel great. They're smaller than fullsize as it was the only way to get 6 buttons on a CP this small and unlike my Pip cabinet this will be playing console stuff too so it was kinda necessary. That said, the layout works really well on my prototype.

Regards to the AMP. Hell yeah. This thing kicks out a hell of a lot of sound (and bass) for the size of the speaker I'm using. As it's a tabletop it doesn't really need to fill the room but sitting in front of it I don't think you would have it on 100% for very long

Looks good Mark.  I love the fact you're building it in your garden :)

Looking forward to seeing this come together!

Well - until I've actually turned the jungle at the bottom of my garden into something resembling a garden I've got free reign to make as much mess as I like  ;D

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 02:11:07 pm »
Wow I'm in on this.  Love the design.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 07:19:50 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 03:17:29 pm »
I really like all of markc74's designs.

Blip, the cabaret, Invaders, Pip, the unused designs he's played around with, and now this... they all have a lot of differences between them and show a lot of range, but the one consistent attribute of all of them is that they all look -great-

Thanks for the ongoing inspiration.   :applaud:

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 09:06:54 am »
Cheers Laythe!  :cheers: I only wish I had the time in front of tools that I do sat in front of a computer!

Update 2: Prepping and Gluing the profiles

The cabinet has a dark theme but only so much is visible so I primed and painted the insides. Here’s a pic of me preparing to stick everything together.

That thing you see at the top is a little jig I made to make sure that the inner profile would be attached in the right place. Basically it keeps the inner profile a set distance from the top while I used the square tool to make sure it was the same distance around the other sides.

Once it was in the right place I secured it with wood glue and some brad nails to help while the glue dried

Aaaaaand all finished bar adding vinyl and t-molding

That’s the sides sorted from a woodworking point of view so next job is to do the back and top panels which will be covered with matt black vinyl

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 02:25:20 pm »
Looks good - I'm curious why you didn't just use 1/2" square dowels for the inside.  I assume the extra layer of MDF is to help attach the cross pieces?

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 06:08:21 pm »
Awww man, I got all misty eyed when I saw that Atari aesthetic in your design.  Love it!  Your projects are to BYOAC what tasty spices are to a barbecue.  Delicious.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 01:17:07 pm »
Looks good - I'm curious why you didn't just use 1/2" square dowels for the inside.  I assume the extra layer of MDF is to help attach the cross pieces?

Exactly that reason. Also this means i just need to flush trim 1 piece and make sure it’s centred. It adds a little more weight but for this size of build it seemed the easier option.

Awww man, I got all misty eyed when I saw that Atari aesthetic in your design.  Love it!  Your projects are to BYOAC what tasty spices are to a barbecue.  Delicious.

;D me too! My original plan was going to be the trusty Commodore 64 but browsing for retro artwork i came across the Atari joystick surround and i knew what i wanted to do. The 2600 was the first machine i ever had so it hit me right in the feels! That and i hadn’t seen anyone else make a mini build in that style.

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:56:59 pm
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 01:42:22 pm »
I love this concept and it looks like it's shaping up great! Have you considered using momentary toggle switches instead of buttons for Coin and Start?

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 05:28:04 pm »
I love this concept and it looks like it's shaping up great! Have you considered using momentary toggle switches instead of buttons for Coin and Start?

Dammit. Now that's a cool idea.

Anyone know where I could find switches that have that style?

I guess I should be looking at a newish switch rather than attempting to harvest original stock...

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:56:59 pm
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2019, 09:26:23 pm »
These are lighted and much too expensive, but there's got to be something out there with a similar appearance. Glad you like the idea  :cheers:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2019, 10:22:07 pm »
Anyone know where I could find switches that have that style?
The non-illuminated ones are much more common.
https://www.amazon.com/MGI-SpeedWare-Toggle-Switches-Waterproof/dp/B07HS4HBD3/

Keywords to search for are "SPST momentary toggle switch".
- "OFF-(ON)" translates as normally OFF, momentary ON.

There are also many SPDT (ON)-OFF-(ON) options if you want to use a single switch for two functions.

Scott

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 12:21:05 pm »
Cheers PL1 / jeremymtc - I'll look into those options. I might get a couple of different ones and see if they can work in the space I've got (or if flicking a switch is awkward in the space available)

Update 3: Back of the cabinet

The back of the cabinet is made of sections (each made of 2 pieces of MDF). I’ve done it this way as it’s easier to reproduce and doesn’t involve too much sanding and filling. There may be a small gap between the pieces but I’m not too worried about that (at the moment!). If it bugs me I might revisit this part.

The pieces with the four holes will form the lower back of the cabinet. The holes are for volume up/down, power jack and power buttons

The pieces with a single larger hole are the top and upper back of the cabinet. They have a hole for cabinet handles so they can be moved around easily.

I used 9mm MDF for these pieces and glued and tacked together. I rounded over the corners with a router so they’re nice and smooth and then covered them with matt black vinyl.

I had to do a test fit of the handle to make sure it fit (I had a bit of a nightmare getting these handles so I'm pleased they do!)

This bit was quite straightforward. The next part won't be... the speaker/start button has a few cuts/curves so I'm going to need to think about it for a while. My artwork is off to the printers at the moment so hopefully I should have that soon and that might inspire me to get moving a bit quicker on this build!

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 12:32:19 pm »
A quick thing about the handles. The reason they were so difficult to get was that I needed the specific ones that were open at the back to help out with ventilation  :)

Here's a render showing the back panels (or how they're supposed to look anyway!)

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 02:32:41 pm »
The aesthetics of your designs (shape and graphics), are always a joy to look at.  Great inspiration here Mark, I'm gonna continue to steel ideas from you.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 07:11:52 pm »
The aesthetics of your designs (shape and graphics), are always a joy to look at.  Great inspiration here Mark, I'm gonna continue to steel ideas from you.

Steal away matey. I try to plan but some of this stuff just kinda evolves as I'm doing it. I did spend a lot of time thinking about the angles on this one as when it's on a desk you gotta rethink about the angle your looking at the screen and where your hands will naturally lie. Then design around that.

I'm enjoying this build a lot. It will be playable and that's what I'm shooting for.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 11:10:52 am »
Well it’s been a while but this is still happening - a new job doesn’t leave me much time at the moment so I’m trying to squeeze bits and pieces in as I can. I got my artwork from the printers last week so that kinda pushed me to spend some time on it

Update 4: Speaker panel

This piece was a pain in the ass. One of the things that I don’t really like about the Pip cabinet is that the speakers point to the sides and it means you really lose a lot of sound - a lesson learned afterwards... I’m only using a single speaker in this build so it has to be pointed at you. Also on the same panel are the Coin and Start buttons.

I ended up using photoshop to design a template for the shape and holes. I had the correct drill bit for the speaker hole but ended up using an ‘upcycled’ baked bean can to create enough border around the speaker hole to ensure it was strong enough. To be honest I didn’t need to make this so exact as some of it will be hidden behind other panels but if I was going to be making several it made sense to get it right before making copies.

To make the speaker hole look nice, I’m using a black plastic desk grommet with the cover removed. Luckily, I have a hole cutter of just the right size (44mm). With that cut I then used the next size hole cutter (50mm) to cut a hole on a spare piece of wood to use as a template. This was just so that I can have an inset hole so that the desk grommet can fit flush to the panel. Pics will explain what I mean…

And finished by getting the artwork on.

These aren’t the buttons I’ll be using. I’ve still got some research to do on those.

All I’ve got left to do for this panel is to get some speaker grill material as I don’t want to see the speaker behind it. I’ve got access to a 3d printer now so I’d probably print something up and attach it to the back of the panel.

I’m *almost* ready to start assembling - I just need to cut the control panel, build the mount for the LCD and cut the bottom door I’ll be using for access but all of these pieces should be relatively straighforwards… (famous last words)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 11:17:46 am »
 :applaud:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2019, 11:31:57 am »
Looks great - the attention to detail is what really sets this apart.  I also really like the minimalist artwork.  Always makes me wish I could make something like that myself in photoshop or whatever the kids are using these days.  :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2019, 03:00:41 pm »
Looks great Mark, that's some fine wood working.  The print material, is that polycarbonate?  Is it a local vendor or are they available state side?

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2019, 06:48:59 pm »
Looks great Mark, that's some fine wood working.  The print material, is that polycarbonate?  Is it a local vendor or are they available state side?

Hi Arroyo. Thanks! It did take a while but I'm happy with the result.

I got my art printed here. https://www.arcadeartshop.com/

Hes uk based but sends to anywhere I think. I went for the heavy laminate option as it's the stuff I have on my blip and invaders cabs and after 5 years they still look great

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2019, 09:41:40 pm »
Nice update Mark, nice to see you back at it.

:cheers:

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2019, 07:12:32 pm »
It’s all coming together.

I’ve been pretty busy with work over the last month but when I’ve had a chance I’ve been spending time on this - I’ve recently completely switched careers (ex software dev manager, now a teacher) so this has been my constant to try and keep me sane whilst I attempt to learn a whole new craft… anyway… on with the show...

Not many photos on the way I’m afraid but basically it’s been:

• Applying vinyl and t-molding to the outside
  • Cutting the control panel and applying artwork
  • Adding a speaker grill to the speaker panel
  • Fitting the carry handle
  • Gluing. Lots of gluing…

Here’s where I’m at:

It’s getting there I think. This is the first build of several so any mistakes I make on this one will be fixed in the next one. My slot cutter turned out to be wobbly so the t-molding fit isnt great - I’m gonna have to hot glue it. But apart from that and a (very tiny) slight wonk on the artwork application on the back it’s coming together quite nicely. The templates seem ok

Next thing is to cut and fit the base panel with a hinge so you can get inside once it’s all together, finishing the screen mount and fixing the perspex overlay. And wiring. Bah.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
Re: Micro Arcade / Polybius Mini - starting to resemble a cab
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2019, 09:46:51 pm »
---gosh-darn--- you make that look easy.  You have a real eye for aesthetics and design.  The whole thing screams “could’ve been a real product back in the day”.  I love it, every aspect. That would be a real winner for a kit IMHO.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2019, 01:53:13 pm »
Wow this thing is coming out so nice.  It all looks so clean inside too - even though you haven't done any wiring yet.  Leaving the bottom panel open is something I wish I thought of - dealing with a removable CP is unnecessarily difficult.  I absolutely love the wood grain vinyl and black t-molding.  Such a classic look.   :cheers:

Misaki1968

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2020, 03:04:29 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2019, 03:59:33 pm »
In a word, Beautiful!

LTC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 11:10:11 am
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2019, 07:42:55 pm »
WOW, that is coming out absolutely amazing  :applaud:

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2019, 07:54:39 pm »
You nailed the Atari look.  That thing is amazing.   :applaud:

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2019, 08:50:43 pm »
Cheers guys - glad you like it! Hoping to have some time tomorrow to get the base cut and screen in so I can start mounting the pi in.

I do like the wood grain a lot which is handy because I've got tons of the stuff left over!

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2019, 01:25:08 pm »
This looks great. I gotta ask... where did you get your wood grain vinyl? I've contemplated several sources but always chicken out. Wanting to try a full cab.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2019, 07:38:00 pm »
Pretty sure I picked it from home base or b and q.it on amazon too
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fablon-67-5-Roll-Oak-Robust/dp/B00CZ6UW9G/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Fablon+oak&qid=1576370139&sr=8-5

Haven't posted in a while but this thing is practically done now. I'll get some pics together over the next few days  ;D

Seob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 01:40:33 am
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2019, 04:29:53 am »
Great looking arcade cab. Love the detailing. Looks like it could be a production model.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2022, 02:21:38 pm
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2020, 07:44:23 am »
Wow, that looks fantastic! I especially like what you did with the speaker.  :applaud:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2020, 11:27:24 am »
Haven't posted in a while but this thing is practically done now. I'll get some pics together over the next few days  ;D

You're killing me Smalls...

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2020, 03:53:58 pm »
Thought I’d finally wrap this little project off now I’ve got some home-time… (albeit with an 8 year old terror running around causing no small amount of mayhem)

It’s been 99% finished for ages but there were a couple of bits to do which I never found the time to sort out as it was playable… well you guys know the rest…!

Anyway - here it is. Complete. Got two others in a pretty close state to this ready to go out the door to friends which I’ll knock out by the weekend.

I’ve got one more I’m building to keep for myself which will use a pi4 and a 10” screen so I’ll probably post some pics of that in this thread when it’s finished. It’s exactly the same dimensions but probably won’t have a bezel around the screen.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2020, 03:55:37 pm »

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2020, 03:57:19 pm »
Good gosh is that amazing.   Seriously you should design a box for it.  It looks like something you could buy.

:applaud: :applaud:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2020, 04:23:17 pm »

Clean as I’ve ever seen.  Hell of a design AND execution Mark.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:24:51 pm by Arroyo »

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2020, 04:27:35 pm »
 :cheers: guys. I've been staring at so long almost finished that just had to get ---my bottom--- in gear.

While lockdown is on I might see if I can get a few done. I've got artwork printed and materials (bar screens + pis) for 12!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2020, 07:15:24 pm »
:cheers: guys. I've been staring at so long almost finished that just had to get ---my bottom--- in gear.

While lockdown is on I might see if I can get a few done. I've got artwork printed and materials (bar screens + pis) for 12!

Wow - this little thing is outstanding.  Such a clean and simple design that I'm sure was very complex to build.  Just incredible design and execution.  You should be proud of this one.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 07:19:50 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
Re: Polybius Micro - Complete
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2020, 08:11:58 pm »
Great work, markc74.  Builds like this make me proud to be a member of this community.   :notworthy:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2020, 09:29:00 pm »
Great work! Looks legit.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2020, 10:06:17 pm »
Would you sell one?  $?

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 11:58:47 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2020, 03:50:05 am »
That is really nice.

Thanks for sharing (and the inspiration from that!)

Bobby
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2020, 08:03:25 am »
Thanks all. Its quite a fun little build but theres definitely some tricky bits. I think it takes about 15-20 hours to go from uncut wood to finished cab but I reckon I could get that down quite a bit with some optimisation.

No idea what to charge for them. For my mates I did them cost price so I might chuck one on ebay and see what happens.

Obvs you could always build your own. I'll share all the dimensions/artwork/materials list here anyway.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2020, 10:24:25 am »
Obvs you could always build your own. I'll share all the dimensions/artwork/materials list here anyway.

This would be great and really appreciated.

What are you using for software?  I haven't found an image for the pi that I like that is strictly for arcade games without all the bells and whistles - and most importantly one without the "retropie" menu where guests can go in and mess things up.  Would be nice if it would just boot straight to one game list with no frills - maybe a background screen shot of the game you are on but nothing more.  Power on to the list and power off shits it all down.  No menus, etc.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2020, 05:23:41 pm »
Hi Javeryh,

I ended up rolling my own. Downloaded the base Retropie build and installed AttractMode frontend so I could customise it.  It's mostly working great but the Pi3 is no powerhouse so I had to be careful with the videos (they're pretty low quality). Snapshots would be fine though.

Video of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YHX--mWHr4&feature=youtu.be

Pretty basic frontend. List of games with a video background. Pressing the left 2 buttons launches the game, middle 2 buttons show artwork and overview, right 3 buttons switch to the next emulator. I wanted to keep it simple.

Happy to share the image (sans roms) to give you a head start if you like.

UnclearHermit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2022, 06:42:54 pm
  • Finally started building 2019,est. completion 2036
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2020, 07:21:04 am »
That's ridiculously good :)  Nice job!

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2020, 06:46:46 pm »
Hi Javeryh,

I ended up rolling my own. Downloaded the base Retropie build and installed AttractMode frontend so I could customise it.  It's mostly working great but the Pi3 is no powerhouse so I had to be careful with the videos (they're pretty low quality). Snapshots would be fine though.

Video of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YHX--mWHr4&feature=youtu.be

Pretty basic frontend. List of games with a video background. Pressing the left 2 buttons launches the game, middle 2 buttons show artwork and overview, right 3 buttons switch to the next emulator. I wanted to keep it simple.

Happy to share the image (sans roms) to give you a head start if you like.

Awesome!  If you could post the image that would be great.  Does it just boot straight to the MAME gamelist?  Did you manage to remove the "Retropie" menu?  The cabinet looks so nice in motion.  Really well done.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2020, 05:39:26 pm »
As its using the attract mode frontend it boots into whichever list you left it on when you switched it off. So if you only have one list its gonna be that.

This has been a fun one as I've got a few lists in it - snes, amiga, gameboy etc but you can remove them all. Obvs no roms but I'll keep the vids and artwork on it

villageidiot333

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2024, 07:27:19 pm
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2020, 06:57:32 pm »
Where did you hook up the volume buttons to on the PiCade Hat? I'm planning a small build like yours and would like to add volume controls. Never heard of the PiCade Hat...glad I saw it on here. I'm very curious about it and would like to use it.

uptown47

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2022, 05:46:44 pm
  • Just takin' life one game of Frogger at a time...
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2020, 04:20:11 am »
I really wish I'd not read this thread! Now, when I look at the cabinet I'm trying to build it looks like something from Scrapheap Challenge!

You've done an amazing job. It looks as good as anything you'd buy.

I suppose the good thing about my wood working skills compared to yours is that, when I tell my mates I built it myself they believe me!!  :o :D

Great work  8) :applaud:

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2020, 06:26:54 am »
Definitely one of the better builds around here for a while. Well done  :applaud:
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)