Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Groovyarcade: Attract mode freezes  (Read 17111 times)

Substring

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 06:37:57 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
Re: Groovyarcade: Attract mode freezes
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2020, 05:38:54 pm »
Games have no problems, only videos do. This happens only in interlace mode

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2023, 09:19:49 am
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2020, 03:46:56 pm »
So I guess this temporary workaround is still the best thing going?  I just got GroovyArcade going in my cabinet last night, and ran into this problem.

Unfortunately yes, the kernel 5.5.1 is still suffering from this unwanted behavior.

The hunt has taken me crazy exploring the DRM, GEM and ATI memory management codes. I give it a break to focus on other projects and will come back later with fresh ideas I hope.

I have released the new Linux 15kHz patch for kernel 5.5 with the refactoring done by Substring.

pocketpal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2023, 04:16:15 pm
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2020, 10:46:59 pm »
I certainly appreciate your efforts.  Using the progressive resolution isn't so bad in Attract Mode, but it sure makes LXDE hard to use.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2020, 04:05:36 am »
Younmay add a resolution with xrandr and switch to it in LXDE only. Need some help to do that ?

pocketpal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2023, 04:16:15 pm
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2020, 02:55:57 pm »
Thanks, I suppose I could use some help doing that.

Banane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 10:51:29 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2020, 07:45:38 pm »
just by reading this again, no one has tested it with a nvdia card so far as asked by doozer, right ?  ;)

With this on top I see several "workarounds"

• just not use any video snaps
  • use progressive but strange resolution
  • use a mutisync monitor == use progressive but nice resolution
  • use a nvidia card (edit: valid, see comment from dozer right in the next answer)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 04:18:58 am by Banane »

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2020, 03:08:32 am »
Hi Banane,

Nvidia card has been tested and it is not impacted by the issue.

The four mentioned workarounds are all valid. But the ideal solution would be to figure out the root cause of the problem.  :hissy:

Banane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 10:51:29 am
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2020, 04:28:39 am »
Hi Dozer,

true  - a solution is  better than workarounds :-D.

I just had the idea to at least encircle the problem a bit more.

I'm trying to find an older test set-up system where the involved parties ( ATI-Card, driver,  Xorg, ffmpeg, attract mode, video snaps) didnīt cause the problem.
Then we could compare the release notes  ::).

Or did this problem "always" exist and just no one reported it ?Edit by myself:  I was just about to note the version from an early 2018 ves release cause I had no freezes for about two houres => Then out of the sudden it freezed too :-(
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 04:12:44 pm by Banane »

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2020, 04:22:06 pm »

The issue is here for a long date. It is present in kernel 4.x but materialize  after a longer period of time.

What is driving me crazy is the fact that I cannot find the root cause of this. The last hope was to find a memory management issue in the  DRM_IOCTL_RADEON_GEM_WAIT_IDLE which was the last call to the driver. Even by forcing all conditions to pass, the freeze was still happening.

At the moment I have put on-hold the investigation but I will focus again on this when some parallel projects are done. Will keep you in touch.

tyson171

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2022, 09:34:22 pm
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2020, 12:02:53 am »
So i'm pretty new to Linux/GroovyAracde, where do you change the resolution so Attractmode doesn't freeze?  I'm getting the same freezing in menus that the OP was getting.

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Z80 ERROR
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2020, 02:37:15 am »
So i'm pretty new to Linux/GroovyAracde, where do you change the resolution so Attractmode doesn't freeze?  I'm getting the same freezing in menus that the OP was getting.

Hi,

If you are using the GA distro from Substring, you can set the resolution during the installation or later from a console (textual terminal) with gasetup.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2020, 04:19:30 am »
The best universal way is to edit /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

Depending on the groovyarcade version you're using (the original one or mine), things are a little different. I can help

DreyMIX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:00:34 pm
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2020, 06:41:42 am »
Hello,
Hi, I am using this ISO: "GroovyArcade-Arch2019.03.10-x86_64.iso"
I had to disable the theme with the active background video. Now it freezes less, although many of the times when it happens, to unlock the situation, I do this: I enter the console -> return to attract-mode -> I enter the console again -> finally again to attract-mode and return to normal. I don't know why.

tyson171

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2020, 08:07:56 pm »
So i broke it. lol.  I changed the resolution in the syslinux.cfg file, and 640x240 didn't really seem to change attract mode, just the gasetup was noticeably larger, so i didn't think attract mode took the changes.  Then i changed it to 640x248, and then my monitor went crazy and wouldn't sync again.  I'm using a wells 25k7191. 

I tried changing the resolution in gasetup, but when i entered a manual resolution into xorg/desktop (i'm assuming this is where its done) as (640 240 60) it wouldn't take the changes.

So, looks like i'm going to reinstall, i'm using the 2019 Stable release, should i use a different build?  Any advice for the front end looking like it didn't take the resolution changes, but the OS did?  Wouldn't this make it still freeze.  I thought attract mode is what is actually freezing, not the OS image.

(PS - I have winscp, but never enabled root in ssh, so it won't let me overwrite the syslinux.cfg now).

*Update* i was able to pull the video card, and change the resolutions back, so that part is fixed, and I allowed root to login, so that part is also fixed.

*Confirmed changing syslinux.cfg doesn't modify attract mode resolution, just the gasetup console, and to add this might not work for me anyways, 640x288 wouldn't sync at all, and 640x240 still has a slight scroll on my monitor.  I might not have changed the resolution properly though, this was my syslinux.cfg file

default arch
timeout 0
prompt 0
#UI vesamenu.c32
menu title Groovy Arcade Linux
menu background GA.png
label arch
menu label GroovyArcade
linux ../vmlinuz-linux
append root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA  rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash vga=0x311 video=VGA-1:640x240ec
initrd ../initramfs-linux.img
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:57:26 pm by tyson171 »

mmd2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2020, 01:34:01 pm
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2020, 01:03:59 am »
I'm having trouble with the  Linux distro (4.20.5-arch1-1-ARCH) with attract mode freezing when I'm in the config screen (TAB) for it. I can barely tab around a few times and the video locks up, sound does not. Killing the attract pid puts it back into gasetup. I have not updated anything yet as I reinstalled to start fresh. The problem was still happening with everything updated thru gasetup.
This is running with an ultimarc arcadevga card thru a jpac to a Sharp Image 27" crt in the cab set at 15hz on the chassis. Read about changing modeline to non interlaced to bypass the error... can someone give me a few tips on what and where to edit the config?

I set the config during install to the 15hz Arcade monitor. Screen isn't horrible but I've had nothing but trouble with this monitor. I recapped it and put a new flyback on, but the horizontal width is a bit too wide and can't be adjusted very much. Could a modeline also help with this? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
West Fargo, ND

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2020, 03:30:49 am »
So i broke it. lol.  I changed the resolution in the syslinux.cfg file, and 640x240 didn't really seem to change attract mode, just the gasetup was noticeably larger, so i didn't think attract mode took the changes.  Then i changed it to 640x248, and then my monitor went crazy and wouldn't sync again.  I'm using a wells 25k7191. 

I tried changing the resolution in gasetup, but when i entered a manual resolution into xorg/desktop (i'm assuming this is where its done) as (640 240 60) it wouldn't take the changes.

So, looks like i'm going to reinstall, i'm using the 2019 Stable release, should i use a different build?  Any advice for the front end looking like it didn't take the resolution changes, but the OS did?  Wouldn't this make it still freeze.  I thought attract mode is what is actually freezing, not the OS image.

(PS - I have winscp, but never enabled root in ssh, so it won't let me overwrite the syslinux.cfg now).

*Update* i was able to pull the video card, and change the resolutions back, so that part is fixed, and I allowed root to login, so that part is also fixed.

*Confirmed changing syslinux.cfg doesn't modify attract mode resolution, just the gasetup console, and to add this might not work for me anyways, 640x288 wouldn't sync at all, and 640x240 still has a slight scroll on my monitor.  I might not have changed the resolution properly though, this was my syslinux.cfg file

default arch
timeout 0
prompt 0
#UI vesamenu.c32
menu background GA.png
label arch
menu label GroovyArcade
linux ../vmlinuz-linux
append root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA  rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash vga=0x311 video=VGA-1:640x240ec
OK so you're using VeS' GA (not mine). Resolutions are fixed, only a few exist, there is no 15k resolution generator in the kernel ;) That's why 640x248 failed. If you want a stable AM, you have no other choice than using 320x240 on ATI cards as of today, or 640x240

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2020, 03:31:24 am »
I'm having trouble with the  Linux distro (4.20.5-arch1-1-ARCH) with attract mode freezing when I'm in the config screen (TAB) for it. I can barely tab around a few times and the video locks up, sound does not. Killing the attract pid puts it back into gasetup. I have not updated anything yet as I reinstalled to start fresh. The problem was still happening with everything updated thru gasetup.
This is running with an ultimarc arcadevga card thru a jpac to a Sharp Image 27" crt in the cab set at 15hz on the chassis. Read about changing modeline to non interlaced to bypass the error... can someone give me a few tips on what and where to edit the config?

I set the config during install to the 15hz Arcade monitor. Screen isn't horrible but I've had nothing but trouble with this monitor. I recapped it and put a new flyback on, but the horizontal width is a bit too wide and can't be adjusted very much. Could a modeline also help with this? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
West Fargo, ND
Same advice as to tyson171, read my post just above ;)

tyson171

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2020, 07:54:46 am »
Substring -  if i download your release, think i would have better luck with those resolutions with my current setup? What build do you recommend - GroovyArcade 2020.03?

Are there any negatives to using a nvidia card?  I could also try that also.  Side note, these games look beautiful when running, thanks for everyone's work and help on this!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 08:16:47 am by tyson171 »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2020, 09:41:17 am »
For nvidia, read that other topic where I explain about Nvidia.

GroovyArcade is also thought as a livecd. You can try without installing. If you want to tweak the boot resolution, that is still possible by pressing tab on the setting you want to change and edit the good option. It's probably easier to do that part with a LCD then swap right before pressing enter to validate the mode.

tyson171

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2020, 09:51:34 pm »

default arch
timeout 0
prompt 0
#UI vesamenu.c32
menu background GA.png
label arch
menu label GroovyArcade
linux ../vmlinuz-linux
OK so you're using VeS' GA (not mine). Resolutions are fixed, only a few exist, there is no 15k resolution generator in the kernel ;) That's why 640x248 failed. If you want a stable AM, you have no other choice than using 320x240 on ATI cards as of today, or 640x240

Ok, so i'm properly confused.

I went back to my amd card, and was going to try your latest build, but with AMD card (Radeon 4550 atom-15 flashed) this time and tried to use the 640x240 resolution.  I searched for the xorg.conf in the beta build, but it wasn't in the etc folder.  So then i tried to change the resolution in the syslinux.cfg and it will won't synce to 640x240, just crazy lines. Same with 640x240ec.  320x240 works, but the screen is so blown up it looks terrible.

Here is the build i was using from 4-3 -

groovyarcade-2020.04-x86_64.iso

And here is my config -

default arch
timeout 0
prompt 0
#UI vesamenu.c32
menu background GA.png
label arch
menu label GroovyArcade
linux ../vmlinuz-linux-15khz
append root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash mitigations=off audit=0 monitor=arcade_15 video=VGA-1:640x240Se
initrd ../initramfs-linux-15khz.img

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2020, 04:03:59 am »
You need kernel 5.6 for 640x240. You can normally update with "pacman -Sy linux-15khz"

The name of the iso doesn't help, because a dev version or a stable version are named the same way, plus the current beta is rebuild almost every day, and i didn't expect that many people to download the current beta ;)

tyson171

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2020, 08:09:09 am »
You need kernel 5.6 for 640x240. You can normally update with "pacman -Sy linux-15khz"

The name of the iso doesn't help, because a dev version or a stable version are named the same way, plus the current beta is rebuild almost every day, and i didn't expect that many people to download the current beta ;)

Perfect that worked for 640x240!  640x248 doesn't work for some reason still, my guess is that my card can't display that (or I need to search for that xorg.conf, maybe its there now). 

Either way i'll build on this one a little further now!  Just need to find a theme now!

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2020, 08:26:21 am »
Check the main groovyarcade topic. One of my last answers explains why resolutions are fixed. In other words: there is no switchres in the kernel, you must pick an existing switchres resolution

jimmyj1979

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2022, 07:26:01 am
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2020, 01:12:45 am »
Chiming into this thread,

Spent this morning setting up GA2020 on my cab to find this error happening with attract mode. CBF looking for an answer, will get another hard disk and set 2020 up on that and see if i can get it working, back to 2017 for me.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2020, 04:21:10 am »
Depends which GA version you're using : VeS' or mine. Mine is patched to fix freezing

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2020, 06:30:02 am »
I'm using yours Substring, the latest one.  I'm still getting freezes.  Am going to try without videos, or with some of emumovies videos instead of the stock ones in GA.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2020, 12:21:35 pm »
Or use a progressive resolution ?

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2020, 04:04:22 pm »
I've tried 640x240 progressive too, same issue.

At one point I thought I'd got a stable AM after restarting it from gasetup, but nope, must have just been luck that one time that it stayed running for ages without crashing.

Basically it seems random, the thing just freezes whether in interlaced or progressive usually after a very short amount of time.  I'll try with no videos, and also with some other emumovies videos to see if that helps.  I have a Ryzen 3600, not overclocked, with HD 6450 connected via VGA with a JPAC connected via USB.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2020, 06:13:01 pm »
Now that's weird, could be a different problem than what we've thinked of so far

jimmyj1979

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2020, 02:02:46 am »
Is there a way we could give this some focus? Id really like to start using GA2020 with Attract Mode

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2020, 05:11:55 am »
Hard to solve something we can't reproduce, nor have enough info to know which direction to go

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2020, 06:30:08 am »
I have a feeling it is something to do with the videos still.  A lot of the stock ones for me don't seem to loop, but some do - should that be the case?  Shouldn't they all loop?  I haven't gotten around to it yet, but very soon I'll do some tests with some other videos to see if I can narrow it down.

jimmyj1979

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2020, 02:40:06 am »
I think i have fixed it

I usually use Cools theme on my cabs on groovyarcade 2017 (works well, using Attract mode 2.4 config i believe)

I took a backup of my .attract folder and restored it into the .attract folder of my groovy2020 machine and no freezes under attract mode at all. Groovy 2020 uses Attract mode 2.5 or similar.

Its all working as it should. My working attract.cfg is below in a dropbox link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/722n77xunxywzcx/attract.cfg?dl=0

I also copied the attract mode plugins folder across
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4t7gip45z19tkju/Vert%20Attract.rar?dl=0

Suspect broken CFG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/81ibau044pjyksx/attract%202020%20broken.cfg?dl=0

So far so good, its been on over an hour now playing videos from the attract mode home screen and no freezes. I'd call this fixed.

So its either the CFG for attract mode, the basic theme (not cools theme which is working OK) or plugins. Your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 02:42:06 am by jimmyj1979 »

strontium

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2021, 05:12:52 pm
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2020, 12:16:28 pm »
I've got this too, tried changing the res to progressive no dice,

I'm going to try no videos like mentioned.

what a shame this is, attract mode is a great FE.

I've tried to troubleshoot but so far nothing. Very quick light troubleshooting mind.

I'll follow this but I would say this has to be a priority bug. in the mean time what are the alternatives downgrade to 2018 GA would that be before this bug was introduced?

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2020, 04:37:01 pm »
Switch to retrofe once i'm done making its setup easy

strontium

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2020, 05:04:55 am »
I think i have fixed it

I usually use Cools theme on my cabs on groovyarcade 2017 (works well, using Attract mode 2.4 config i believe)

I took a backup of my .attract folder and restored it into the .attract folder of my groovy2020 machine and no freezes under attract mode at all. Groovy 2020 uses Attract mode 2.5 or similar.

Its all working as it should. My working attract.cfg is below in a dropbox link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/722n77xunxywzcx/attract.cfg?dl=0

I also copied the attract mode plugins folder across
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4t7gip45z19tkju/Vert%20Attract.rar?dl=0

Suspect broken CFG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/81ibau044pjyksx/attract%202020%20broken.cfg?dl=0

So far so good, its been on over an hour now playing videos from the attract mode home screen and no freezes. I'd call this fixed.

So its either the CFG for attract mode, the basic theme (not cools theme which is working OK) or plugins. Your mileage may vary.

Is this still the case as I tried a new config from scrath and still saw the hangs

I've tried 2018, 2019 and 2020 GA releases too plus updating all the packages on each and ignorepgk linux linux-headers to keep the 15khz patch. Bad news is I'm still seeing the hangs, sound sill running sometimes and I can access other tty so not a system hang.

I tried running in 320x240 progressive and sill see the hangs sorry to say.

I'm out of my depth now in terms of what else to try and reading this whole thread again it appears some of the main devs / contributers are struggling to nail this one down too ( massive thanks for your efforts though lads  :applaud: ) Todays job is trying the 2017 release and building the lastest attractmode from source or the aur. I'll update here later.

I really hope we can find a way out of this  :banghead:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:06:49 am by strontium »

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2020, 08:02:46 am »
Doozer always said the problem is within ATI drivers. Although oomek made a patch that helped a number of users (including me), seems it's not enough for some people.

strontium

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2020, 05:19:31 am »
Doozer always said the problem is within ATI drivers. Although oomek made a patch that helped a number of users (including me), seems it's not enough for some people.

Could you link to the patch and I'll give it a go. Thanks

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2020, 05:42:21 am »
It's up to AMD to solve the problem. There is no driver level fix for now.

Beerbarian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2021, 11:48:38 am
  • SCARTs, PCs and TVs .. oh my!
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2020, 01:57:28 pm »
I had this freeze problem with most attractmode themes in GroovyArcade up to 2019, but I found one theme called Unicade that, for whatever reason, does not freeze for me and loops the video snaps just fine.

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=481.msg3968#msg3968

I think it might have to do with the window size I set for the video clip.
I remember making modifications to theme layout to make it more suited to a low res display (changed video clip window size, changed game name/title text).
I could attach a zip file of my theme contents or just layout file from /home/arcade/.attract/layouts/uni_cade if someone wanted to try it out?

I wiped and installed the most recent GroovyArcade 2020 release and restored roms and themes to see if the latest release fixed this freeze issue.
It did not. Other themes still have freeze issues trying to loop video snaps, however this Unicade one still seems to be a good workaround for me.

Edit: I should mention I am on AMD Radeon 4550 for my CRT.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 09:40:26 am by Beerbarian »