Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars YOKE- Buy should I or Ebay original hunt down do I?  (Read 34621 times)

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:50:40 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Star Wars YOKE- Buy should I or Ebay original hunt down do I?
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2021, 01:07:31 pm »
No surprise that there have been more original ones (and for more reasonable prices) on fleabay lately too.

I can say from personal experience that the Alan-1 version is outstanding an feels like it will last longer than me.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2021, 02:05:55 pm »
No surprise that there have been more original ones (and for more reasonable prices) on fleabay lately too.

I can say from personal experience that the Alan-1 version is outstanding an feels like it will last longer than me.

Yeah... that's definitely a result of more options being available. All the new options are due to the influx of new folks into the retro gaming scene.

midd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:25:25 am
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2021, 02:36:31 pm »
Thanks for the info.   I figured with the price, the Alan-1 would be the better option.  But as I said, cost won out for my decision.  I'm not a hard core player of Star Wars, yet.  I do play Return of the Jedi and I thought owning one would be pretty cool. 

I placed an order for the GRS this morning.  I have been torn between the two of them but cost won out I guess. It would be nice to see a video of a comparison between GRS and Alan-1.

Did you see this?
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160736.msg1731553.html#msg1731553

coasterlvr has all 3 and provided a pretty nice write up. What I got from his comparison is that (1) the dude must really like yoke controllers but mainly (2) the GRS yoke is ok, if you replace a couple of the buttons and the return to center spring was a little different and took some getting used to, but it was decent, especially considering cost. He ultimately gave a nod to the Alan-1 based purely on fit and finish.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2021, 03:19:42 pm »
I recently went through and updated my gamelist on my modded Star Wars mame machine.  I liked Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Paperboy. I added a few more and I'm happy with the following games on it:

Outrun
Outrunners
Point Blank
Point Blank 2
Steel Gunner
Revolution X
Operation Wolf
Rad Rally

Just no good way to add Roadblasters though.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2021, 08:50:33 pm »
I recently went through and updated my gamelist on my modded Star Wars mame machine.  I liked Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Paperboy. I added a few more and I'm happy with the following games on it:

Outrun
Outrunners
Point Blank
Point Blank 2
Steel Gunner
Revolution X
Operation Wolf
Rad Rally

Just no good way to add Roadblasters though.

Today I finally got my Alan-1 mounted on a test panel.  I'm going to start working through your list along with LeChuck's.  So far I have it working with Star Wars and it is very impressive.   My wife really likes Paperboy but I don't have it on my mame cabinet since it is not really playable.  Looking forward to trying that one as well.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2021, 06:49:01 pm »
You'll really like paperboy. It plays perfect, as a matter of fact, I finally beat Easy Street like 2 weeks ago!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2021, 07:12:11 pm »
You'll really like paperboy. It plays perfect, as a matter of fact, I finally beat Easy Street like 2 weeks ago!

Sweet!   :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2021, 07:49:25 pm »

I just tried it and you ain't kidding.  It plays perfectly.  This is going to be a great one to have on the cabinet.

Killj0y

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2021, 06:03:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2021, 05:59:26 am »
So are these controls worthless now? I have one and not really sure if it's worth trying to find a buyer. It's the yoke with the front panel. Been sitting on it a while. If it's like of pointless I'll just take it apart or cut it to make my own controller project.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2021, 04:01:17 pm »
Do you mean a Star Wars Yoke? Still lots of value, depending on the make and condition. I'd say the market sort of settled in the $200-$350 range

GRS Flight Yoke: https://www.amazon.com/Thunderstick-GRS-Flight-Yoke/dp/B08L7TVCM2 ($250 if I remember right)
Alan 1 Flight Yoke: https://alan-1.com/product/alan-1-star-wars-flight-yoke/ ($350)

I'm not sure if it's original, if it will be able to fetch much more than those prices.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:50:40 pm
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2021, 03:28:49 am »
Like lew said, worth plenty to the right person for a restoration or scratch build.
Especially if you have the original bezel shroud or other authentic parts.

Please post in Buy/Sell/Trade section before you dice it up!
 :)
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Ravenger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 06:46:37 am
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2021, 12:13:49 pm »
I've got the GRS yoke for my Star Wars Arcade1UP, and it works great. Very sturdy and accurate, and has no gears or potentiometers to wear out.

I did mod it with low actuation force cherry switches for the triggers as the default microswitches were loud and required too much force to be comfortable to press repeatedly for long periods, and you do a lot of firing in Star Wars.

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2021, 02:35:01 pm »
Price Alert: GRS Star Wars Yoke is currently $190

https://www.amazon.com/Thunderstick-GRS-Flight-Yoke/dp/B08L7TVCM2

If you were interested.

later