Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars YOKE- Buy should I or Ebay original hunt down do I?  (Read 34604 times)

tommyinajar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
Star Wars YOKE- Buy should I or Ebay original hunt down do I?
« on: September 19, 2019, 01:41:49 pm »
I'm looking for a Star Wars YOKE. Ebay seems to sell for $400+ in varying degrees of 'brokeness'-
Any-1 buy one of these?
https://alan-1.com/product/alan-1-star-wars-flight-yoke/

They also have USB hookup for said stick for $99- with ebay$$ this seems decent? No RAM controls here hopefully.....any other options?

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 01:13:47 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Star Wars YOKE- Buy should I or Ebay original hunt down do I?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 01:56:56 pm »

Oops. didn't see you already linked to the Alan 1 site. Sorry. Those are getting good reviews.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 02:18:36 pm by Mike A »

behrmr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 01:59:36 pm »
I'm looking for a Star Wars YOKE. Ebay seems to sell for $400+ in varying degrees of 'brokeness'-
Any-1 buy one of these?

They also have USB hookup for said stick for $99- with ebay$$ this seems decent? No RAM controls here hopefully.....any other options?

No, this is not RAM controls so you're good to go.  The yoke looks great and I've seen some reviews of it and they are positive.   The USB adapter works well just make sure you update the firmware to the correct version if you plan on using it with MAME.  There's a "linux" version for RetroPie and a "windows" so choose the correct one (both are flashed from a windows pc).

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 01:01:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 02:29:29 pm »
Any-1 buy one of these?

Alan is a highly respected long-timer on KLOV and here.   ;D
- Definitely not a RAMSCAM Controls situation.

If his USB encoder is too expensive for your budget, you can use an A-Pac or roll-your-own with an AVR/Arduino.
- Parts list and pinout here for the molex connector/pins to connect to the A-Pac or AVR/Arduino.
- Instead of the older KADESTICK firmware from that thread with a MattairTech MT-DB-U4 AVR, you may want to use the newer KADE miniArcade 2.0 firmware here with an Arduino Pro Micro.

Scott

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 07:38:44 pm »
You might want to check on this replica also, its a protoype now,
but be coming out later on:

later

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 12:56:24 pm »
GRS yoke: nice try, but no cigar. His 'spinner' and 'Tron joystick' further example this. Made for the goobs, not us.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 11:15:17 am »
It really depends on what you want to do Tommy.  If you are only looking for one as a controller and do the following:
  • Use one as a controller
  • Use one as a controller and then put in into a SW cab at a later date or
  • Purchase one and immediately put it into a SW cab
then I would recommend buying both the yoke and adapter.  Or buy the yoke and put your own adapter together as Scott has recommended.  Thought buying both from Alan 1 will be so much better as it was plug and play for me on my XP desktop setup. 

Having never used one growing up I cannot compare the game play but if the originals were anything like these reproductions I definitively missed out.  Game play was so much smoother when used in The Star Wars Trilogy ('98) than with a common joystick.  In the end I would highly recommend purchasing one.  Even if you have to save up.  Checking today they are still in stock and have gone down in price by $150.00   :banghead:  Oh well.  I still think its worth the $500 I paid six months ago.

Your only alternative is to buy one of these which having seen and played a Rampage version IRL I don't recommend doing.

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 02:10:58 pm »
 Yea- yoke is going on a removable CP along with about 7 other custom "1 game" CP's.

I'm getting parts together, plan to start when temp drops outside. I'll post when I'm getting somewhere, not 100% sure how to exactly mount the cp's- So far industrial velcro or magnets (electronically controlled???  >:D ) are what I'm thinking. No rotating panels here folks! KISS- Not going down the beyond my current skills rabbit hole -again....

Basically, I like playing actual original cab games the best, so Mame with 1:1 CP's is about the best you can reasonably do, right?

So far I'm doing Stargate(Defender), Robotron, Front line, Ikari, (Track n field/ Asteroids), (Super Sprint/racing)- And maybe a Spyhunter +/- Roadblaster Frankenstein lastly, not sure about that, what 2 controllers for 3 games- Spyhunter, Road blasters off-road?
But I have to have a SW yoke too, right?

Any others I should consider recommendation wise?

Your only alternative is to buy one of these which having seen and played a Rampage version IRL I don't recommend doing.

Huh-

I had no clue THAT was happening, IDK nor can I imagine what the yoke on that is going to be like, after seeing previous 1-ups
controls....
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:13:07 pm by tommyinajar »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 11:24:13 pm »
Spyhunter +/- Roadblaster Frankenstein lastly, not sure about that, what 2 controllers for 3 games- Spyhunter, Road blasters off-road?
But I have to have a SW yoke too, right?
There are a number of games that will work well with the SW yoke, including positional gun games or racing games that used a 270 degree steering wheel.
- There's a list of yoke games and positional gun games on the wiki "Joysticks" page, 2/3rds of the way down.

Spyhunter has an X-axis pot for steering, 5 buttons, a 2 position shifter, and a potentiometer pedal.
- An LED "Weapons Van" button + your SW yoke and you've got steering and buttons covered.

The Road Blasters controller has stop bumpers to limit rotation like the SW yoke, but instead of an X-axis pot for steering, it used an optical encoder wheel. (see pg 45 of the manual here)
- SW yoke should work fine for this.  Same grips, same X-axis range of motion.

Off-Road uses a 360 degree steering wheel, so you don't want to use the SW yoke with that type of game.

Scott

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 02:41:10 pm »

Huh-

I had no clue THAT was happening, IDK nor can I imagine what the yoke on that is going to be like, after seeing previous 1-ups
controls....

This has been mentioned in the arcade 1up forum quite awhile ago.

They worked with the alan-1 manufacturer, and will have a scaled down plastic version.

Also, the one I mentioned earlier will be an upgrade from that.

The reason cost for the alan-1 yoke went down, is because they made a deal with the arcade 1up for
a lot more units.

There is a huge thread on KLOV about the whole story, and details about the hardware.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 10:18:04 pm »
here's a good review of the alan-1 yoke:

later

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 05:33:39 pm »
Pot control games and optical control games do not mix. Using a spinner for the latter is beyond adequate. Easier in some cases due to far less rotation necessary.

Alan-1 yoke: do not think, do not feel, do not breath. Press the 'buy it now' button. Now.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 08:01:53 pm »
Now that the price is what it is (do we have the 1Up guys to thank for that I imagine?!) don't waste any time and just buy one.

Mine just arrived this week and it is an impressively built unit.
I can say it is well worth the original price in fact now that I own one (I just couldn't justify spending the $$ until the recent fortuitous price drop.)

Can't get my upright cabinet built fast enough now.   :laugh2:

I have had great luck with various interface units from Andy at Ultimarc but I think the Alan-1 yoke may best be used with their purpose built board.

I have found from experience building my multi-control cocktail cab that mixing mousey controls in a single interface board can get messy.

Bobby
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 12:36:54 am »
I have had great luck with various interface units from Andy at Ultimarc but I think the Alan-1 yoke may best be used with their purpose built board.

I have found from experience building my multi-control cocktail cab that mixing mousey controls in a single interface board can get messy.
1. IMNSHO "may best be used" is a potentially misleading assertion regarding their encoder board.
- An Arduino with a decent firmware or an A-Pac will work every bit as well as their board for a fraction of the cost.
- If someone doesn't know how to crimp Molex pins, solder, and/or load firmware on an Arduino, then the Alan-1 board could arguably be the better option for them.
- That said, almost everyone around here either already has those skills or can easily learn them.  YMMV.

2. There are no "mousey controls" involved here.
- The SW yoke uses potentiometers (analog joystick gamepad encoder), not optical circuits. (mouse encoder)

Scott

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 05:18:36 am »
Consider me rightfully admonished Scott-

Proprietary board from Alan-1 suggestion only meant as a turn-key solution (for a newb like myself!)

I'm embarking on the same journey that tommyinajar is braving for my upright cab and even with a lot of research the input board question has been a head scratcher.

I learned the hard(er) way that the Mini-Pac with both a trackball and spinner connected actually blends the inputs from both (even if you try to isolate them in MAME) and I wasn't sure if interference likewise occurs with pots through the same board for a Star Wars yoke.

I suppose it only applies to optical devices.

Brings up another thought/question I have that I suppose I should be courteous and begin a new thread about.

Aloha,
Bobby
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 04:29:09 pm »
Ultimarc optical controllers don't combine the inputs. The devices share an axis/es - which is fine in 99.99999% of cases...if not more.

But you're not understanding: optical and analog are separate protocols. There's no cross-over......

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 03:51:55 am »
Not surprised that I would be that  0.00001% who found a way to screw it up.

I really do understand that optical and potentiometer devices are different animals, but from a functional standpoint even just the potential sharing of an axis on my control panel certainly led to unintentional input.

i.e. Play Centipede and bump your spinner and wind up with your archer pinned on the side of the screen for a few seconds.

When I asked Andy himself about the interference between the trackball and spinner on my first cab his reply was, and I don't imagine he will mind if I quote:

"If the trackball and spinner are connected via the Mini-PAC they will be combined, but if either has its own USB interface option...  they will be separate."

I thought I was lucking out that I could connect both via one interface board- but it is problematic.  I missed the caveat about this possibility I guess.

Like tommyinajar presently, I am building a cab to utilize an Alan-1 yoke, pedals, shifter, and buttons and my thought was that possibly an interface for analog controls might do the same as my MiniPac was doing for the optical ones I have here presently.

Not a concern for devices that utilize separate usb connections for each it appears (or for pot driven ones either apparently.)

But if it could be an issue I am sure that I will inadvertently find the method.

It may be that the way to address all possibilities is a U-HID board but I won't be sure until I get one and find the infinitesimally obscure means to screw that up too.

I hope the OP fairs better!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 12:54:51 pm »
I am building a cab to utilize an Alan-1 yoke, pedals, shifter, and buttons and my thought was that possibly an interface for analog controls might do the same as my MiniPac was doing for the optical ones I have here presently.
Sounds like you'll want 5 separate analog axes -- 2 for the yoke and 3 for the pedals.

It may be that the way to address all possibilities is a U-HID board
The full-size U-HID can handle up to 8 separate analog axes plus all of the microswitches in the buttons, yoke, and shifter.

If you want a less expensive alternative, the miniArcade 2.0 firmware can handle 5 separate analog axes and a bunch of buttons.

Scott

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 02:46:03 pm »
Invaluable info Scott- thank you for the replies.

I appreciate that the reward for respectful ignorance here can be getting to learn something new.

Time for more research and thank you for the direction!

Aloha,
Bobby

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 03:36:16 pm »
You'd be able to get that many analog axis by hacking a regular game pad (the kind with two analog thumb sticks and triggers). They use two pots per stick (one for each axis) and a pot for each of the analog buttons which could easily be wired to pedal pots. Most of those pads have 6 or 8 axis.

The part I am never sure about with star wars yokes is if it's not better to buy one of the many other USB flight yokes on ebay that are plug in and play. Sure, they don't have the Atari sticker but it's a fact of life that playing arcade games at home usually means you can't use the exact original controller for each game. I'm usually OK as long as I am using the right type of controller.

I know that some of those reproduction Star Wars Yokes are well made but it might also be worth checking out what other USB yokes you could get for $350+. Some of them look sweet.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 12:22:59 am »
Eh I built one with some lego technic gears about couple of old joystick grips and some lamp rod.... If you want it exact then yes you'll have to pay up, but if you just want the general feel then it's not a terribly complicated piece of hardware to clone.  I'm actually surprised we don't have a 3d printable star wars yoke yet.  The handles would be tricky to model, but the gears wouldn't. 

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 01:55:02 pm »
My (albeit limited) experience with gears is that they require an accurate production machine and need to be made of a hard material to be decent. I'm not sure what sort of quality of gear you'd get from a typical cheap home 3d printer.

I know that there are people who definitely do make gears on home 3d printers but I'd want something a lot stronger than your typical abs plastic for an arcade flight yoke. You can usually snap thin abs parts (like gears) easily with your fingers. I think you'd strip abs gears very quickly. I wouldn't trust softer metals like aluminum either, unless it was a tempered 7075.

The nylon composite used in arcade gears may not look it but it's an extremely durable material with high impact strength. For a diy variant, I'd probably want to cnc machine the gear from brass or even steel if the machine is up to it. Then get it hardened.

Ready made metal gears are usually not too expensive at the hobby level though. It may be one of those parts where most people would find it cheaper and easier to buy instead of make.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 04:10:13 pm »
.....look at the specs of the yoke. They gave it metal gears because of plastic fatigue.

The mechanical design and function of the yoke must be copied. You want a cheap whore, feel free.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 01:06:53 am »
I think those original gears were made of Delrin.  In an arcade machine I think failure would be due almost exclusively to age alone if they were made of that stuff.
It is considerably tougher than anything I imagine people typically use for 3d printing though.

I have a friend with a 3d printer I will have to ask about materials.
Would be excellent to see about being able to make yoke replacement/build parts that way.

For a plastic, Delrin is slicker than snot though so I bet it is tricky to work with (not sure I would want to be huffing formaldehyde gas if you got it too hot either.)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2019, 11:31:46 am »
For a plastic, Delrin is slicker than snot though so I bet it is tricky to work with (not sure I would want to be huffing formaldehyde gas if you got it too hot either.)
Acetal (a.k.a. Delrin or POM) filament is available here.

Looks like you'll need a non-standard print bed surface, heated bed, heated chamber, an all metal hotend, and good ventilation.

Scott

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2019, 12:53:03 pm »
Acetal (a.k.a. Delrin or POM) filament is available here.

Looks like you'll need a non-standard print bed surface, heated bed, heated chamber, an all metal hotend, and good ventilation.

Scott

There is a newer generation of 3d printers that allow the use of stronger spools like those containing carbon fiber or higher melt point polymers. These don't offer the same benefits as woven heat cure carbon fiber or industrial polymer casting processes but they will certainly increase strength and stiffness over ABS but probably not hardness. It will never be as good as steel gears but it could be fine for a gaming peripheral with no force feedback.

Regardless of materials, you still can't make decent gears with a low quality low res 3d printer. Quality gears require a level of precision and accuracy or they will never feel right. For this reason, I'd buy a stereolithography 3d printer for gears over any spool printer . It doesn't take much of an error to cause a poor fit which will either make it feel rough to turn or not turn reliably. More important for gaming, imo, is backlash. We generally like our controllers to feel responsive without a built in dead zone.

If you already have a decent "high res" 3d printer it's probably worth a try but steel gears are so cheap, I'd still want to use them instead. E.g.:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sale-Speedway-Super-QC-Gears,3778.html?sku=91955-40&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv6Hq4Oq35QIVA4eGCh3ueQQkEAQYAyABEgKIlfD_BwE

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2019, 07:36:21 pm »
Well the thing you are all forgetting is... it's a 3d printer....  When/if the gears wear out you just print new ones.  There isn't a terrible amount of tension on the star wars yoke, so any wear would be from it getting a lot of use.  The exact tooth size of the gears in those yokes would be difficult to replicate on a typical 3d printer, but the gears don't have to be exact replicas to feel similar. 

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2019, 04:15:32 am »

Its NOT about tension with this.  Its about ACCURACY.

If the gears are not perfectly aligned and meshing... there will be "Play".

Play equated to two things:

1)  Slippage or small Non-tracking distances / Premature Wear / Breakage

2)  Poor Tracking

The 2nd being the most critical.  If you are trying to move a cursor to pinpoint a target... and the tracking is even a hair off... its going to
seriously impact a persons accuracy.  It would be like trying to shoot a can with a bb-gun... and someone lightly taps the barrel... right
as you are about to pull the trigger.

The larger the teeth, the less accuracy is required to mesh... but if those gears teeth are not 100% perfectly distanced, then the travel and
play... is going to cause a lack of smooth and accurate tracking... in addition to potential wear and other issues.

Its likely better to use Resin based 3d printers, rather than these incredibly hacky layer-noodle printers.

And even then... you likely would want to make a mold of the printed parts, and cast them in metal.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2019, 01:16:09 pm »
I've got a cheap 3d printer from China and if you work within the resolution limits and have it properly dialed in you can print stuff almost dead accurate in terms of the size.  You might have to use a larger tooth size, but there wouldn't really be any play.  If that isn't acceptable for you guys go to the local hobby store.  If they have rc vehicles then they most likely have tons of gears for sale.... a similar size with the same gear ratio should be findable and that's really the only two things that matter in this situation.  Hell they sell hobby gears on ebay and amazon.

My point is don't immediately throw hundreds of dollars into a solution for a controller that's really only used for three games..... you have options.  On the other hand getting a Star Wars cockpit for a stand alone solution might make sense as the thing is frikkin gorgeous and you can't really replicate that vector glow. 

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2019, 03:43:38 pm »
Another thing is travel. If the gear size isn't the same, you may not reach the edges of the screen/playfield.

People piss and moan for years on end about not having a yoke. Now someone re-produces them in spades, at the best price in history, and people become turncoats.

@Howard: say what?? Spy Hunter, Outrun, Hang-On.....  The lack of this recognition escapes me.....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 03:46:16 pm by Mr. Peabody »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 11:34:24 am »
Spy Hunter and Star Wars Trilogy arcade would be my go to games. OG Star Wars arcade gets old really quick, even back when it was new. I'd rather play Stun Runner or Road Blasters any day.

$350 seems reasonable for a new, high quality yoke.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2019, 01:42:32 pm »
Except.... none of those other games mentioned use a star wars yoke.  A few of them use a similar yoke, but if you aren't exact about the controls, then again, my original point stands... unless you need the exact yoke for some reason you have options.  Also unless you are doing like me and using a racing rig that just happens to have a yoke attachment, you'll need pedals and a gearshift and then it's going to be a mess on a standard mame cab. 

$350 for any gaming controller borders on ridiculous and a controller that was designed for three games, two of which can be beaten in under 2 minutes is insane.  I totally get that it's high quality, but my point is it doesn't need to be... it won't be in a real arcade.  Heck for 350 the arcade1up cabinet would be a better option.  They've done a good job with this one and the yoke is pretty similar.  It's too short but I believe the deluxe version comes with a riser. 

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2019, 02:10:01 pm »
LeChuck breaks down in as good of detail as I've seen the games other than Star Wars that are playable with a yoke.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152903.0/all.html

Game list post -
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,152903.msg1600918.html#msg1600918

He lists a lot of games that surprised me like Paperboy. 

He tested Roadblasters for me and it did not sound like it was playable.  I suspect any game that requires an optical encoder is not going to play well but YMMV.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2019, 02:25:11 pm »
Hmm, no Spy Hunter in that list. Too many buttons?

Howard, I definitely agree if you're suggesting that the Arcade 1up version of the yoke looks like a potentially good option for those who don't need super high quality. I would pick one up in a heartbeat if they sold them separately with a USB connector.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2019, 02:49:16 pm »
I guess a lot of it comes down to how much you love a particular game. If it's your fav game of all time, it's worth investing in decent dedicated controls for it. I tend to spend more time and derive more enjoyment from playing games I invested in quality arcade controls for. I never touched Operation Thunderbolt until I got an Op thunderbolt arcade gun. Now, I play it all the time. It's awesome, just not with an Aimtrak.

There is a reason why we like real arcade controls. There are any number of cheap flimsy home peripherals  with cheap plastic gears and anemic force feedback motors etc. We spend extra on real arcade controls because they look and feel right. They use quality metal parts, have strong motors and feel like you could drop a tank on them and carry on playing. It's a key part of the nostalgia.

I think it's better not to buy or build arcade controls at all unless you can do it right with quality components. If you love the Star Wars arcade enough to put the cab in your home, you want the real yoke imo.

If you don't love those games, a cheap used USB flight yoke off ebay is the logical 2nd choice (or not buying any yoke). Does anyone know how many arcade games use a yoke (besides star wars)?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2019, 04:19:55 pm »
Does anyone know how many arcade games use a yoke (besides star wars)?
Wiki has a list of 15 yoke games and a bunch of other analog joystick games that should work well with a yoke.
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Joysticks#Analog_Joysticks

There are a number of other games that used a 270 degree (potentiometer) steering wheel.  There might be an updated version of this list in the driving sub-forum.   :dunno
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=Spinners_and_Dials#Steering_wheel_.28potentiometer.29_games

Hmm, no Spy Hunter in that list. Too many buttons?
That would be my guess.

The yoke can easily handle steering and 4 buttons. (machine guns, smoke screen, oil slick, missiles)

If you don't have an analog pedal, you could map that to the yoke Y-axis.

In addition, you would need a Weapons Van button (or a Start button) and a high/low Gear Shift. (or 1 other button)

Scott

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2019, 12:08:04 pm »
15 is decent if you like all those games. I can't honestly say I'd ever play any of them myself though. I assume you could also use a Star Wars arcade yoke for regular PC flight syms although there are probably better yokes for serious flight training.

I'd only invest $300-$500 on a Star Wars yoke if I was building a dedicated star wars cab. I think something like this would make a better multi-purpose analog controller:

https://www.betsonparts.com/jurassic-park-complete-gun-assembly.html

It would work as an arcade yoke and for positional gun games. Plus adding recoil to games like Star Wars would breath some new life into a fairly dated looking games. I love the double-solenoid recoil mechanism in these Jurassic Park (Raw Thrills) and the new Space Invaders game guns. It would work very well as a space ship gun.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2019, 08:55:25 pm »
just for reference, here are some other games that can be played with the star wars yoke:

later

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2019, 08:29:02 pm »
 I am sure I already know the answer- Any way to reasonably mod a road riot 4wd wheel (Road blasters) to a StarWars yoke?

I already know I'm buying this, now who is making vector monitor reproductions.....
 :P

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2019, 11:24:47 pm »
I am sure I already know the answer- Any way to reasonably mod a road riot 4wd wheel (Road blasters) to a StarWars yoke?

I already know I'm buying this, now who is making vector monitor reproductions.....
 :P

I tried using a Hydra yoke and was not happy with the results.  I would suggest just sticking with a Star Wars yoke.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2019, 12:09:19 am »
Any way to reasonably mod a road riot 4wd wheel (Road blasters) to a StarWars yoke?
Trying to convert either of those 1-axis wheels to a 2-axis yoke would be a textbook example of an un-reasonable mod.

The Road Blasters wheel has no Y-axis bearings, springs, gears, potentiometer, or pot bracket and no room/clearance to add them.
- See pg. 26 of the Road Blasters manual here

The Road Riot 4WD wheel is an even worse candidate for modding.   :banghead:
- See pg. 31 of the Road Riot 4WD manual here.

Scott

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2019, 06:45:02 pm »
Well the thing you are all forgetting is... it's a 3d printer....  When/if the gears wear out you just print new ones.  There isn't a terrible amount of tension on the star wars yoke, so any wear would be from it getting a lot of use.  The exact tooth size of the gears in those yokes would be difficult to replicate on a typical 3d printer, but the gears don't have to be exact replicas to feel similar.

Dropping down to .2mm nozzle will increase detail for gears though I think .4 may be fine.
check this out.
https://all3dp.com/2/3d-printed-gears-get-the-gear-that-fits-your-needs/

making that steel frame could be done with 1/4" plate metal pretty cheap welded or with some bolts and corner brackets.
Maybe use aluminum instead? though welding that with a mig isn't easy.
I think the case and trigger grips could be printed with ABS.
multiple shells to give it strength plus you can vapor smooth them.

yes it may not feel exactly like the real thing but....i've literally only seen one of these machines in the wild as an adult so honestly unless I was standing next to both to be able to compare, i doubt I or anyone else who plays it would know the difference.
and if I did manage to build one with 3d printed parts, it's getting used by me, my kids, and friends.
not your average arcade idiot who beats on the machines.
someone starts abusing my stuff, they are getting a boot in the arse.

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2019, 02:08:03 pm »
I guess a lot of it comes down to how much you love a particular game. If it's your fav game of all time, it's worth investing in decent dedicated controls for it. I tend to spend more time and derive more enjoyment from playing games I invested in quality arcade controls for. I never touched Operation Thunderbolt until I got an Op thunderbolt arcade gun. Now, I play it all the time. It's awesome, just not with an Aimtrak.

Hey, any info here on mame hookup/recoil of the Operation Thunderbolt gun?

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2019, 02:33:37 pm »

I just use a relay board plus an NE555 board for recoil.

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2019, 01:13:04 pm »

I just use a relay board plus an NE555 board for recoil.

What about the guts for aiming the light and reciever?

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2020, 10:41:18 pm »
The Kickstarter for the GRS yoke is up:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tstick/grs-arcade-flight-yokeusb

Should be $150 for early adopters, and $200 when its released,
if they meet their goal.

later

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2020, 10:51:41 am »
The Kickstarter for the GRS yoke is up:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tstick/grs-arcade-flight-yokeusb

Should be $150 for early adopters, and $200 when its released,
if they meet their goal.

later

This was posted on one of my arcade Facebook groups.  I'm not sure I understand why this is significantly better than the Alan-1 model.  Particularly when the Alan-1 version is already shipping.  Curious what other folks think.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2020, 11:28:21 am »
Pretty sure the $150 price point puts it in reach of more casual arcade modders.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2020, 03:23:40 pm »
I agree the cheaper price is attractive.  But the Star Wars 1UP was on sale at Amazon for $379 this week.  If I'm a casual modder I just buy that.

Crazy that the Yoke was the holy grail of BYOAC in the aughts and now we may have multiple competing options.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2020, 04:36:53 pm »
For sure.... the game list for the yoke controller isn't a huge list. It's a fun controller type for sure. My kids favorite is paperboy.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2020, 04:52:52 pm »
Update on the GRS Kickstarter for the yoke:

later

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2020, 08:28:13 pm »
For sure.... the game list for the yoke controller isn't a huge list. It's a fun controller type for sure. My kids favorite is paperboy.

I played the crap out of my homemade yoke for my first racing rig.... it won't fit on the new wheel though so I'll have to 3d print an adapter.  :(

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2020, 08:45:38 pm »
Update on the GRS Kickstarter for the yoke:

later

The hall effect sensors certainly make it tempting. 

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2020, 12:20:34 pm »

It does.  As does the price.

I'm just wondering what it "feels" like compared to the original.  The original yoke has a nice feel to it partially due to the gears.  Will the lack of gears make the GPS feel "sloppy?"

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2020, 01:14:28 pm »
I agree the cheaper price is attractive.  But the Star Wars 1UP was on sale at Amazon for $379 this week.  If I'm a casual modder I just buy that.

Crazy that the Yoke was the holy grail of BYOAC in the aughts and now we may have multiple competing options.

Cheaper price might equal cheaper made.  I have the Alan 1 and it is a real beast.  Very sturdy.  Kind of bummed it went down $100 a week after I bought it but thats what you get.  When they aren't readily available you pay.  When you are tripping over them price goes down.  The good thing about that though is you have options which wp34 stated we didn't have some odd years ago.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2020, 01:21:47 pm »
Cheaper price might equal cheaper made. 

I'm wondering that as well.  The Alan-1 looks like it would be very satisfying to use.  Very heavy-duty and arcade-like. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2020, 07:20:53 pm »

I'm just wondering what it "feels" like compared to the original.  The original yoke has a nice feel to it partially due to the gears.  Will the lack of gears make the GPS feel "sloppy?"

I have a feeling those of us who really like the game aren’t gonna like the feel without the gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2020, 10:50:07 pm »

I have a feeling those of us who really like the game aren’t gonna like the feel without the gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct.  If you can't tell I'm just trying to convince myself to save $200+ dollars.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2020, 10:51:37 am »

When I first played with the Alan 1 yoke I was taken aback.  I thought it was clunky.  Then I started to realize after playing for about 20 minutes it was supposed to be that 'heavy'.  That is one of the first things I want to verify @ Zapcon is how close to the Alan 1 is to the original.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2020, 01:10:20 pm »
That is one of the first things I want to verify @ Zapcon is how close to the Alan 1 is to the original.

Check out Arcade Jason’s video on the subject:

He’s a vector expert and well respected on KLOV.

Spoiler: he thinks it’s actually better.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2020, 04:18:46 pm »
That is one of the first things I want to verify @ Zapcon is how close to the Alan 1 is to the original.

I watched that one a couple of nights ago and it was one of the reasons I started to pump the breaks on the GPS. 

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2020, 04:33:41 pm »

I watched that one a couple of nights ago and it was one of the reasons I started to pump the breaks on the GPS.

that video was posted earlier in the thread, where there is other information about it.

later

jlfreund

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2023, 06:26:07 pm
    • My project's blog
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2020, 11:23:14 am »
Is the Alan-1 Yoke still available?  Looks like the last time that website was updated was a year ago, and there is no contact information anywhere, so I'm not sure what the status is (in stock, or if production could be blocked by part shortages during the pandemic).

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2020, 03:57:01 am »
Is the Alan-1 Yoke still available?  Looks like the last time that website was updated was a year ago, and there is no contact information anywhere, so I'm not sure what the status is (in stock, or if production could be blocked by part shortages during the pandemic).

Try doug@alan-1.com and see how you do.
My thumb buttons got sticky after a week or so and he got right back to me and sent collars to fix the issue quickly too- and for NC.
Maybe he can tell you what their situation is.

My Alan-1 yoke actually came from Stephen at arcadefixit last October so you could always try checking with him too.

Not surprised that it would beat an original in a side by side comparison either.  It is an impressive piece.
Makes all the games it is appropriate for way more fun to play.
And there are actually more than a few dozen it is great for really (and that is before you start adding in lots of 270 degree driving games if your cabinet accommodates them.)

Bobby

jlfreund

• Offline Offline
    • My project's blog
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2020, 11:55:23 pm »
Thanks, that worked, and I got my yoke.  Next step: build control panel.

jlfreund

• Offline Offline
    • My project's blog
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2020, 12:02:49 am »
It really depends on what you want to do Tommy.  If you are only looking for one as a controller and do the following:
  • Use one as a controller
  • Use one as a controller and then put in into a SW cab at a later date or
  • Purchase one and immediately put it into a SW cab
then I would recommend buying both the yoke and adapter.  Or buy the yoke and put your own adapter together as Scott has recommended.  Thought buying both from Alan 1 will be so much better as it was plug and play for me on my XP desktop setup. 

Having never used one growing up I cannot compare the game play but if the originals were anything like these reproductions I definitively missed out.  Game play was so much smoother when used in The Star Wars Trilogy ('98) than with a common joystick.  In the end I would highly recommend purchasing one.  Even if you have to save up.  Checking today they are still in stock and have gone down in price by $150.00   :banghead:  Oh well.  I still think its worth the $500 I paid six months ago.

Did you build that mount?  I was planning to build a similar triangular mount like that out of 3/4" MDF but the yoke comes with tiny mounting screws in the back.  I guess they could be replaced, but wondering if you found any kind of sheet metal that can help mount the yoke to MDF?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2020, 12:40:51 am »
I was planning to build a similar triangular mount like that out of 3/4" MDF but the yoke comes with tiny mounting screws in the back.
The hardware you need are these "Joint Connector Bolts" (Menards SKU: 2025371) that are often used on folding futon frames or other objects with an adjustable wood frame.
- Tighten them using an allen wrench.

They should work perfectly on a 3/4" MDF panel.

Worst case, you might need to route a <1/4" pocket on the back of the panel.
- 1/2" tall bolt and 1/2" deep fastener ==> slightly less than 1/4" of threads will engage on a 3/4" panel.

https://www.menards.com/main/hardware/fasteners-connectors/bolts/binding-posts-binding-post-extensions/midwest-fastener-reg-1-4-20-x-1-2-joint-connector-bolts-1-count/84366/p-1444440097615-c-19382.htm?searchTermToProduct=2025371

Scott

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2020, 11:48:13 am »

Did you build that mount?  I was planning to build a similar triangular mount like that out of 3/4" MDF but the yoke comes with tiny mounting screws in the back.  I guess they could be replaced, but wondering if you found any kind of sheet metal that can help mount the yoke to MDF?

Yes I built the mount out of 3/4 melamine MDF.  Not something I'm proud of but it works.   ;D  If I remember I used washers with bolts before attaching it to the mount.  I can't tell by my pictures but I will check when I go home for lunch.  As Scott has suggested joint connector bolts (sex bolts / Chicago Screws / binding posts) will work just as well.  I built the stand when I didn't have a home for the yoke but that's for another thread and another day.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2020, 01:40:25 pm »
As you can see freund I just used a forstner bit that was slightly larger than the nut I was attaching so I could ratchet it down with a deep well socket.  I drilled down 1/2" so I still had 1/4" so that the bolt had something to rest on.

And as everyone can see below I have a better home for my yoke.  But as I stated...Another thread for another day.

jlfreund

• Offline Offline
    • My project's blog
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2020, 02:21:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I'm going with the joint connector thingies.  Found them on Amazon for cheaper and faster shipping :)  I'll be building the mount into a new control panel that will swap out my existing wall cabinet's panel, and will post the full project when done.

Bolts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MN6EI48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wall-E: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147586.msg1551604.html#msg1551604

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2020, 03:02:07 pm »
I'm going with the joint connector thingies.  Found them on Amazon for cheaper and faster shipping :)
Nice find.  Bookmarked for future reference.   :cheers:

Scott

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2020, 03:17:52 pm »
And as everyone can see below I have a better home for my yoke.  But as I stated...Another thread for another day.

Nice!   :cheers:

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2020, 05:29:19 pm »
Update on the GRS Yoke, at the 5min mark:

He has a production sample. Will work with Arcade / Arcade 1up / PC USB

later

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2020, 08:32:47 pm »
Update on the GRS Yoke, at the 5min mark:

He has a production sample. Will work with Arcade / Arcade 1up / PC USB

later

Looking forward to a full review on this one.  Pretty impressive that you can hook it up to an original cabinet, A1UP or USB.

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2020, 09:05:29 pm »
I wonder if we can get the yoke controller to work with the new Star Wars Squadrons game.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2020, 09:33:11 pm »
I wonder if we can get the yoke controller to work with the new Star Wars Squadrons game.
The yoke won't be enough by itself (you'll need a throttle and almost certainly more than 4 buttons), but things look promising for PC users.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/118710/star-wars-squadrons-to-support-hotas-controls-on-pc
Star Wars: Squadrons Creative Director Ian S. Frazier answered the matter of joystick support from his personal Twitter on June 15, 2020. When questioned on the matter, Frazier was initially cagey about what he could and could not reveal, but he eventually let players know that Squadrons’ on PC would feature full joystick support, including HOTAS rig set-ups. Unfortunately, there was no world on similar support for consoles at this time

Scott

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2020, 11:43:19 pm »
The yoke won't be enough by itself (you'll need a throttle and almost certainly more than 4 buttons), but things look promising for PC users.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/118710/star-wars-squadrons-to-support-hotas-controls-on-pc
Star Wars: Squadrons Creative Director Ian S. Frazier answered the matter of joystick support from his personal Twitter on June 15, 2020. When questioned on the matter, Frazier was initially cagey about what he could and could not reveal, but he eventually let players know that Squadrons’ on PC would feature full joystick support, including HOTAS rig set-ups. Unfortunately, there was no world on similar support for consoles at this time

Scott
I figured you would need more than just the yoke. I suppose you could make a cool game specific control panel using a yoke, thruster and an iPac for the keyboard functions.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:51:56 am
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2021, 09:27:06 pm »
You can order the GRS Flight Yoke from Amazon now. It says it's in stock Feb. 4th and it costs $265.00.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L7TVCM2/?coliid=I36UZ2H0TT6I00&colid=1JOVRALU2RMXL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

midd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:47:47 am
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2021, 08:47:33 am »
I placed an order for the GRS this morning.  I have been torn between the two of them but cost won out I guess. It would be nice to see a video of a comparison between GRS and Alan-1.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:58:46 am by midd »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2021, 10:05:28 am »
I placed an order for the GRS this morning.  I have been torn between the two of them but cost won out I guess. It would be nice to see a video of a comparison between GRS and Alan-1.

Did you see this?
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160736.msg1731553.html#msg1731553

coasterlvr has all 3 and provided a pretty nice write up. What I got from his comparison is that (1) the dude must really like yoke controllers but mainly (2) the GRS yoke is ok, if you replace a couple of the buttons and the return to center spring was a little different and took some getting used to, but it was decent, especially considering cost. He ultimately gave a nod to the Alan-1 based purely on fit and finish.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2021, 01:07:31 pm »
No surprise that there have been more original ones (and for more reasonable prices) on fleabay lately too.

I can say from personal experience that the Alan-1 version is outstanding an feels like it will last longer than me.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2021, 02:05:55 pm »
No surprise that there have been more original ones (and for more reasonable prices) on fleabay lately too.

I can say from personal experience that the Alan-1 version is outstanding an feels like it will last longer than me.

Yeah... that's definitely a result of more options being available. All the new options are due to the influx of new folks into the retro gaming scene.

midd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:47:47 am
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2021, 02:36:31 pm »
Thanks for the info.   I figured with the price, the Alan-1 would be the better option.  But as I said, cost won out for my decision.  I'm not a hard core player of Star Wars, yet.  I do play Return of the Jedi and I thought owning one would be pretty cool. 

Did you see this?
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160736.msg1731553.html#msg1731553

coasterlvr has all 3 and provided a pretty nice write up. What I got from his comparison is that (1) the dude must really like yoke controllers but mainly (2) the GRS yoke is ok, if you replace a couple of the buttons and the return to center spring was a little different and took some getting used to, but it was decent, especially considering cost. He ultimately gave a nod to the Alan-1 based purely on fit and finish.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2021, 03:19:42 pm »
I recently went through and updated my gamelist on my modded Star Wars mame machine.  I liked Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Paperboy. I added a few more and I'm happy with the following games on it:

Outrun
Outrunners
Point Blank
Point Blank 2
Steel Gunner
Revolution X
Operation Wolf
Rad Rally

Just no good way to add Roadblasters though.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2021, 08:50:33 pm »
I recently went through and updated my gamelist on my modded Star Wars mame machine.  I liked Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Paperboy. I added a few more and I'm happy with the following games on it:

Outrun
Outrunners
Point Blank
Point Blank 2
Steel Gunner
Revolution X
Operation Wolf
Rad Rally

Just no good way to add Roadblasters though.

Today I finally got my Alan-1 mounted on a test panel.  I'm going to start working through your list along with LeChuck's.  So far I have it working with Star Wars and it is very impressive.   My wife really likes Paperboy but I don't have it on my mame cabinet since it is not really playable.  Looking forward to trying that one as well.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2021, 06:49:01 pm »
You'll really like paperboy. It plays perfect, as a matter of fact, I finally beat Easy Street like 2 weeks ago!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2021, 07:12:11 pm »
You'll really like paperboy. It plays perfect, as a matter of fact, I finally beat Easy Street like 2 weeks ago!

Sweet!   :cheers:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2021, 07:49:25 pm »

I just tried it and you ain't kidding.  It plays perfectly.  This is going to be a great one to have on the cabinet.

Killj0y

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2021, 06:03:54 pm
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2021, 05:59:26 am »
So are these controls worthless now? I have one and not really sure if it's worth trying to find a buyer. It's the yoke with the front panel. Been sitting on it a while. If it's like of pointless I'll just take it apart or cut it to make my own controller project.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2021, 04:01:17 pm »
Do you mean a Star Wars Yoke? Still lots of value, depending on the make and condition. I'd say the market sort of settled in the $200-$350 range

GRS Flight Yoke: https://www.amazon.com/Thunderstick-GRS-Flight-Yoke/dp/B08L7TVCM2 ($250 if I remember right)
Alan 1 Flight Yoke: https://alan-1.com/product/alan-1-star-wars-flight-yoke/ ($350)

I'm not sure if it's original, if it will be able to fetch much more than those prices.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2021, 03:28:49 am »
Like lew said, worth plenty to the right person for a restoration or scratch build.
Especially if you have the original bezel shroud or other authentic parts.

Please post in Buy/Sell/Trade section before you dice it up!
 :)

Ravenger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 06:46:37 am
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2021, 12:13:49 pm »
I've got the GRS yoke for my Star Wars Arcade1UP, and it works great. Very sturdy and accurate, and has no gears or potentiometers to wear out.

I did mod it with low actuation force cherry switches for the triggers as the default microswitches were loud and required too much force to be comfortable to press repeatedly for long periods, and you do a lot of firing in Star Wars.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2021, 02:35:01 pm »
Price Alert: GRS Star Wars Yoke is currently $190

https://www.amazon.com/Thunderstick-GRS-Flight-Yoke/dp/B08L7TVCM2

If you were interested.

later