Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: control interface options for steam games  (Read 3071 times)

severdhed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
control interface options for steam games
« on: August 26, 2019, 04:47:37 pm »
Hey guys, i haven't been around here much lately or done much with arcade related anything in a few years.  I'm in the process of setting up a newer, faster arcade pc for my 4 player cabinet and i got to thinking about control interfaces.  I currently have an ipac 4, which I love and which works great for mame.  However when i try to add Steam based fighting games, i frequently run into issues with setting up two player controls. Many of the steam games will not allow more than one player to be assigned to a keyboard.   Using virtual xbox360 controller software, i've been able to get work arounds for some of them, but others just don't seem to work. 

I'm not opposed to replacing the control interfaces if there are better options out there, but i don't want to spend the money if i'm just trading problems for different ones. Is there a cost effective option that works like an xbox controller?  what are you guys using?

Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: control interface options for steam games
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 09:06:15 pm »
iPac recently received a firmware update to allow change from key encoder to joypads or something. Search forum or check ultimarc website.

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:13:37 pm »
i saw that. my ipac 4 was purchased in 2013, so i don't think it qualifies for the firmware update unfortunately.  i guess i could always upgrade to a newer ipac.  Are the gamepad modes on the ipac supported under steam?  I've had some issues in the past with games only working with certain gamepad types.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 10:41:40 am »
i saw that. my ipac 4 was purchased in 2013, so i don't think it qualifies for the firmware update unfortunately.  i guess i could always upgrade to a newer ipac.  Are the gamepad modes on the ipac supported under steam?  I've had some issues in the past with games only working with certain gamepad types.

I have no idea. I only use mame.

Another option would be to use an app that takes keyboard input and simulates joysticks and such.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 03:21:24 pm »
Been here, done that.
Having an interface that shows up as xbox 360 controllers is a must for Steam.

I ended up hacking xbox 360 fight pads.
You'll also need 8 action buttons, as a few games require mapping every single one in order to exit the mapping menu.
Another hiccup was that emulators that used direct input didn't pick up the joysticks in the same order as those using x-input.
The x-input is fixed based on a hard coded ID IIRC, so the solution was to figure out the x-input order and then plug them in one at a time in the same order which sets the direct input order.
(make sure you can swap interface boards between players)

I believe Ultimarc has an add-on adapter solution now, but am fuzzy on the details.
focusattack sells xbox interface boards as well.  (I assume they still do anyway)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 03:23:02 pm by BadMouth »

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 06:23:01 pm »

The new multi-mode I-PAC firmware can be switched into a dual X-Input controller mode and this is fully tested with Steam.

This is available for all post-2015 I-PAC boards.

angryherbalist

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2019, 02:59:22 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 06:05:45 pm »
i just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here.

Check out keyboard2xinput.  https://gitlab.com/SchwingSK/Keyboard2Xinput

I like the idea of the IPAC doing the xinput buttons, but sometimes you NEED keys to navigate menus etc.  So I believe the key2xinput is best as you can enable and disable and do per-game setups.

Jughead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2020, 03:48:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 12:50:27 pm »
What about a brooks universal fighting board? Works great switching between my pc and Xbox One/PS3.

Also I use launchbox to run all my steam games along with every other system in a nice package.