Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gene-hacking mosquitos fails - why am I not surprised?  (Read 5796 times)

Mr. Peabody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
Gene-hacking mosquitos fails - why am I not surprised?
« on: September 16, 2019, 02:48:51 pm »
To top it off, I was thinking about the progress of this effort yesterday, as I was outside swatting a few.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/gene-hack-mosquitoes-backfiring

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
Re: Gene-hacking mosquitos fails - why am I not surprised?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 08:39:06 pm »
Jurassic Park taught us nothing.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 08:34:52 pm »
Well it kind of did, Jennifer has no desire to manipulate mosquito DNA with that of a frog...That would be a mean, green flying beast, that lances you with its little spear thing...Yes but no thanks I will just stay in the Jeep and wait for some old dude to come save this Princess.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:39:16 pm by jennifer »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 08:47:10 pm »
I hate to tell you guys this, but we've been doing genetic manipulation since the 1600s....possibly before... just via selective breeding and cross-breeding.  It's why corn looks nothing like maze anymore and dogs look like varying degrees of genetic monstrosities instead of like wolves.  Long story short, genetic manipulation is fine and it's here to stay... you've all been watching too much bad sci-fi.  Right now companies like Dupont are sitting on genetically manipulated wheat and rice that is, cheap, high-yield, plague resistant and drought resistant that starving African countries refuse to take due to mis-information like the stuff you guys are spreading. 

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 08:58:22 pm »
I can't imagine why they wouldn't want bio food, don't really care who makes it,...I suppose you could eat some of that genetics meat in front of them and prove once and for all you won't grow a tumor on your neck in the shape of a foot.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 11:19:44 am »
I hate to tell you guys this, but we've been doing genetic manipulation since the 1600s....possibly before... just via selective breeding and cross-breeding.  It's why corn looks nothing like maze anymore and dogs look like varying degrees of genetic monstrosities instead of like wolves.  Long story short, genetic manipulation is fine and it's here to stay... you've all been watching too much bad sci-fi.  Right now companies like Dupont are sitting on genetically manipulated wheat and rice that is, cheap, high-yield, plague resistant and drought resistant that starving African countries refuse to take due to mis-information like the stuff you guys are spreading.

I'll take that grain and make beer with it if they don't want it.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 12:06:38 pm »
We may not have learned lessons from gene hacking, but I can say I have learned a lot from a Gene Hackman.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 10:46:14 am »
@Osirus23: 'could and should' did come to mind. I was expecting a quote from someone!

@Howard: Capitalism is a dodgy affair, yo.

@jennifer: ah, carbon dioxide is the way - https://futurism.com/the-byte/solar-foods-alternative-protein-carbon-dioxide

@Vigo: I tend to stay away from both ends of the table.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 08:14:29 pm »

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 11:56:38 am »

Jeff was so CUTE. His licking his lips, well.......  Right jenny?

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 05:23:05 am »

I'll take that grain and make beer with it if they don't want it.

Ever hear the saying  "You do not get something from nothing"  ?!  >_<

There is a reason why these plants have developed certain ways.   Its complex.  Extremely Complex.   One wrong switch... and a Zillion things can go terribly wrong.

The fear mongers thought the world was going to stave to death in the 50s... so by the 60s, scientists had developed and created their new Hybrid Wheat.

Less water needed.  Higher Yields.  Better resistance to extreme weather...etc.  Same pitch.

But what were the long term effects of eating said wheat?   Everyone was part of a Live Experiment.  One that few were given any knowledge nor real choice...

Well... you see... the Protein in modern wheat is Radically different from ancient wheat...  and the human body, is not Jiving with it well... since it has not had
the ability to catch up to potentially adapt to its sever changes, in such a short time period.

The wheat is causing masses of people, mild inflammation / irritation... in the intestinal tract... which is causing less nutrient absorption.
What happens when your body is not getting the nutrients it needs?  It tell you... that you are still hungry... and to go eat more food... in hopes
that you will provide it with the building blocks it needs for repairs and functionality.

That of course, means over-eating.  And not just eating healty stuff... but more wheat based garbage... with almost no nutrient values to begin with.

Most people are not going to know, feel, or realize this... as the body can be really good at fighting off the Rejection.  However... it seems that
after so many generations of reproduction... the effect is becoming more and more pronounced... to the point where massive numbers of people are
now developing radical reactions to the stuff.

Its causing developmental issues in children... due to them not getting the nutrients to develop them properly.
Its casing massive mental illness issues.
Its causing weakened immune systems, and Auto-Immune responses... where the body starts attacking itself... trying to rid it of said foreign protein.

Its causing fatigue, intermittent erectile issues, infertility / rejection  issues in woman trying to get pregnant...  as well as massive sickness,
when carrying... as the body tries to force the mother to expel the toxin that is causing damages to the developing child.

Its a massive chain of destruction... and its unleashing Slowly.  Slow enough... that people do not realize how bad its about to get...
The stats were something like 1 in 1000,  for allergens to wheat.  Now I believe its like 1 in 100.  In another 20yrs... that may be 1 in 10.

But that is not even counting all of the damages that it has done along the way.

Autism used to be like 1 in 100,000.   I think the stats are now like 1 in 50... in westernized areas of the world.

Chinese / Japanese... and other places that eat mostly Non-Tampererd with Rice?   Do not show any such stats.  Not even close.
However... if they adopt the Toxic chemical + Toxic Bio-Altered crapola... then they too... will take a nose dive into the abyss.

But hey... its Quite fine to try to SHAME others in your attempt at  "Virtue Signaling" ,  to try to pad your precious EGO,
and get your Daily FIX of ATTENTION POINTS!  >_<

Its quite fine... to play Russian Roulette with the ENTIRE WORLDS FOOD SUPPLY,  because you Heard that its perfectly
SAFE and its PERFECTLY FINE!   Thats what the Media Tells you... and like a good little LEMMING NPC...  so Golly you are
going to PARROT POOP it back out on everyone, Just like Diarrhea!

I just keep pointing back to the basics.  Remember when the Media / Science told you the world was going to be over populated and
everyone would stave by the 60s?   Ohh wait... that never happened.   Remember when they passed out Mercury to school kids to play
with... and said it was Harmless?  Lead paint?  Asbestos?  Leaded Gas?   Heck... didnt you hear?  Cigarettes make you healthier!!!

Today,  they can not cure the most basic of human dysfuntions / malfunctions.  Even if EVERY single pc on the planet were dedicated
to the task of figuring out a single aspect of humans internal biological workings... it would be as fruitful as getting One letter correct in
a  100 Trillion long cipher.

Right now... they push a button... and wait to see if something happens.   When they get what they think is the right reaction... they
think everything is Peachy...  but then ... BAM,   they realize that they triggered something else,  and now said mouse... has a 200,000%
increase in developing cancer within a year.   The fact that they ever discovered the negative, could have easily have been overlooked.
It could have taken 200 years worth of testing on these modded mice... before the corruption took a huge turn for the worse.. and wiped
them ALL out,  permanently.

The can barely understand the most simple of insects... like a fruit fly...  let alone, the complexity difference in a human.
All it takes is One switch to be flipped, and it can happen from eating One spec of a genetically tampered with crop.  That single bio-switch,
could flip one little switch in your genetics... and in 100 yrs from now... no human being would be able to reproduce, for example.

If some stranger took your Drink,  tampered with corn (syrup) on a radical level... and dumped said "Mystery" syrup in it... would you
be OK with being the uninformed test pilot?

But its OK... because people are hungry / Thirsty!

But you know... it does not Register to the Personality Disorded..  Because such people can not accept the
reality of failing and being wrong.   To them... its worth the risk.  God / Luck will be on their Side! (Magical Thinking)
Its worth the EGO, Fame, Money, ATTENTION POINTS!

The Radical / Personality Disordered.. does not have stable / normal feelings, thought patterns, and emotional connections...
They are simply incapable of logical and rational thinking.  Its about the feelz.  But most of such people... do not actually
care about others... so much as the act of the attention/money...etc..  that it brings.  Which is why this world.. is Such a
damn mess...   Because Psychopathic Spectrum, are allowed to gain positions of power and control...
They have never developed, nor will they ever develop... true Morality / Empathy.  What you see is just a Hologram.
An ACT.  A manipulation.   When push comes to shove... the radicals always show their true Colors, in their Foul actions,
Foul Words, and Foul Deeds.

It is not to say, that Science should stop.  It is to say... that Science needs to be help in check, to the highest of safety
levels, and precautions... and needs to have forms of protection, to keep Corrupted entities, from Destroying us all...
due to their Mental Dysfunctions.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 05:39:13 am »
And there it is! I knew you would be coming around this thread at some point!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 07:46:27 am »
I think you forgot to mention mad cow disease and prions in the meat...Caused by introducing ground up bone meal into their feed and turning them into canabalis...Even I have boundaries and  won't link to the nasty fallout of that practice.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 10:40:10 am »
Ya know what gets me going? Walmart bread. Bread should mold quicker than the stuff from Walmart does. I bet they toss a lot of salt in it to make it mold less.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 05:41:21 pm »
pixel and jennifer speak wisdom. Biome is all. You are slave to Biome.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 06:11:35 pm »

Don't worry, I prefer old spice.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 02:52:35 pm »
Thanks for warning me, Vigo.

Or this: https://www.biomegrow.com/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 01:01:30 am by Mr. Peabody »

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:37:29 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 11:08:20 pm »
I used to be wary of gene editing, but now I say bring it on! For instance in Australia we have been spending hundreds of millions of dollars trying to eradicate fire ants with poison etc. But in Florida, I believe they are doing research to modify a fungus to wipe them out. There are fungi that attack other ants but not one for fire ants.bi bet if you threw 200 million at research it would be done.

Queue 'last of us' jokes now...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 02:52:11 pm »
I used to be wary of gene editing, but now I say bring it on! For instance in Australia we have been spending hundreds of millions of dollars trying to eradicate fire ants with poison etc. But in Florida, I believe they are doing research to modify a fungus to wipe them out. There are fungi that attack other ants but not one for fire ants.bi bet if you threw 200 million at research it would be done.

Queue 'last of us' jokes now...

I think they haven't done enough research on affecting insects with sound and radio waves. Or it's being occluded, which would not surprise me. Co-habitation is still low on the perceptual agenda.