Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Golden tee stop working  (Read 17901 times)

Encryptedmind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2022, 09:33:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Golden tee stop working
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:11:25 pm »
Playing my 2007 golden tee dedicated machine updated to 2018 and all of a sudden it shut off and wouldn't come back on. I thought it was the power supply so I replaced it with the same one that was in their. That didn't work. I replaced the 2032 battery on the board thinking it was something stupid like that but didnt work. Their is power going to the power supply I checked that. The green LED light on the motherboard lights up but nothing else lights up or anything. No fans turn on the board or on the video card or power supply. Can anyone help me please.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:47:27 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Golden tee stop working
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 09:32:23 pm »
well, now that you've killed the BIOS data by removing and replacing the battery you have to manually jumpstart it and enter the bios and fix the settings so it will power back on automatically again. you'll have to move the yellow jumper on the motherboard (it's position varies depending on your motherboard model but it will be near the battery) to its opposite position in order to enter the BIOS and make the changes. to power on the board you are going to have to take off the blue/yellow wire connector off the motherboard and short out the red position shown on the board. this is the power switch for the board...

after you make the changes and save them, power off and replace the jumper to its previous position to normal boot.

as for why it croaked on you initially, it's likely due to the northbridge overheating. if it's got one of the LGA 775 boards, the cooler on the NB is really no good to begin with and also if it has bad capacitors on it rails, it is allowing ripply power into it and it overheats. you can try and fix the board, but to be honest,it might be too far gone to be reliable anymore. luckily you can go on ebay and find decent used boards still. just search for the D915GUX (or whatever board you have)

so if you manually boot the machine and the fans spin up but it does not startup (show ITs logo etc.) your board is likely toasted. you can try and reseat the video and ram and stuff, but these boards are getting pretty janky. you might end up having to get another one to replace it.

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 09:07:35 am »
Thanks for responding. The motherboard led light is on already the one below where the ram goes in. When i turn the power on the fans on the motherboard and the power supply turn for a split second then shutoff then Im getting nothing at all. Im just getting a hum from the monitor board. I tried jumpering out the red power and switched the bios over but it didnt do anything at all. Anything else I can do?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:32:05 am by Encryptedmind »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 09:32:16 pm »
you got blown out caps by your northbridge.  i can see them in the first pic without even zooming it on it.

you MAY be able to resurrect the board by swapping them out, but your chances of it working again since it died randomly... are probably less than 30%.

ideally you want to change them while it's still works...but since it died on you.... :dunno crap shoot.

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 08:50:11 am »
I see what your talking about awesome thanks so much for pointing that out. I ordered another board from ebay there pretty cheap. Ill keep the board for spare parts. Thanks again.

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 05:34:55 pm »
So I got another board its exactly the same board and replaced it and its doing the exact same thing. Why is it doing this? Is there anything else that is causing this to stop working? Please help me.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 05:57:21 pm »
did you power it on by shorting the aforementioned red jumper?

intel boards do typically power up for a second then go back to sleep again when you power them up and the bios is set to stay off when AC power is lost.

as i mentioned before, you will have to switch the yellow jumper and go into the bios and change that behavior to turn ON on AC loss so when you power up the cabinet, it fully turns on.

I don't recall exactly what the setting is called but it's like "AC back" or "on AC power loss" "AC back function" "restore on AC power loss" every manufacturer is a little different. nonetheless you want it set to ON

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 08:24:10 pm »
I swapped the jumper to bios setting and then tried to jumper out the two red power terminals or whatever their called. And still nothing happens at all no fans spin or anything besides the green led light below the ram. Im really sorry im not good at this kind of stuff. I really appreciate your help though. What am I doing wrong. Damn computer.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 08:28:30 pm »
the green light shows you have 5VSB voltage, so the power supply seems to be working. is the CPU cooler fan plugged into CPU fan header on the motherboard? sometimes boards refuse to boot if it doesn't detect a fan "tach" signal on the CPU cooler header when it's powered on. try plugging another fan onto it...i've seen fan tach signals go dead before...but still blow air just fine.

you can try the typical testing methods... reseat ram... reseat CPU...  the system expects the ram to be in a particular slot...in the case of the intel D915, it will be the blue slot closest to the CPU (CHANNEL A DIMM 0) when only using 1 stick...both blue slots when using 2 sticks. if you have 2 (or more) sticks...try just 1. try just the other... one failed stick will halt the entire system.  make sure your power supply cables are properly inserted...and all of them too. they don't work very well if you miss the extra CPU power plugs.

failing all that try another power supply. it's possible the board is seeing low/high voltages in places where it shouldn't be, and preventing power on. the supply is nothing fancy, just a regular old computer power supply will do for testing.

it's odd that this board is doing the same thing as the old board. Did you recycle the CPU, Memory, etc from the old board into the replacement board? I typically buy boards with "new" ram and CPU's to avoid any potential issues. the failed board may have killed the CPU... if that's the case, you are just transferring issues from one board to the next. but let's not jump there yet. test out everything else first.

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 09:07:50 pm »
So i looked around and someone told me to try and jumper out the green and black wires on the main power 24 pin plug. Everything started up except the monitor says no signal. I tried every port HDMI DVI and the vga but nothing. Is my video card not working now? Any way to check if my video card is bad or not? The fan is spinning on it though, have you heard of this before? If so Is there something else I need to do or should it just start up in the bios with the jumper on that? I appreciate your help from here on in.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 02:01:15 pm by Encryptedmind »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 10:41:14 am »
do you have another videocard you can try? it needn't be exactly the same since it's just for testing purposes only.

make sure that videocard is seated all the way down. sometimes the tab at the locking tail end there can cause the board to look like it's in, but the but end is sticking out.

don't try to use the on motherboard board VGA connector...the CPU's are low budget SKU's used in these machines, and they don't have video built in. it won't work.

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 07:58:41 pm »
So i pulled out the video card and tested it in my PC and it works fine. So what is stopping it from working when plugged into my golden tee cabinet. Does the jumper have anything to do with it? Or the battery. Any idea lilshawn?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 12:20:33 pm »
okay, so we have eliminated the videocard as your source of issue. what about the CPU? did you purchase a replacement board without a CPU, then transferred the CPU out of the dead board into the new board?

I ask, becasue often if a board goes kaput, it often takes out the CPU and/or RAM modules.

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 07:51:12 pm »
I got a complete used board didnt swap anything over except for video card and ram.  Ram is good i tried that in my computer also. Is this motherboard junk too? I just want my golden tee back.
Thanks again lilshawn.

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 10:47:55 pm »
Is there anyway to test the HDD if thats good or not? Can i boot it up in my pc or no?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 12:26:33 pm »
it appears we haven't even reached the point in the computers boot process where the hard drive comes into play.

computer boot process is like so (sort of):

1 power goes to board.... bios microcode performs power on self test (post)
2 POST....bios microcode checks for things it needs to run.... ram,CPU and a display device. if they not found, play a long distressing beep.
3 if ok, it kicks the CPU to start and the CPU reads code from BIOS rom and performs each action in turn... this....
4 CPU initilizes video device
5 CPU tests ram (if enabled)
6 CPU plays "beep" to confirm the POST completed without error. if there is an error, try to beep some kind of error message (short and long beeps)
7 CPU runs  more BIOS code to configure the system to get ready for boot. (harddrives, ports, ram speed settings, other bios settings) and configures the motherboard accordingly.
8 hard drive initialised and ready for data read/write
9 CPU loads boot stuff from selected boot device (as configured).
10 stuff starts to load, programs run, operating system does things.

by the sounds of things, you are getting stuck somewhere in  3, 4, 5 but not so far as 6. your board is kind of working becasue you can jump it on with the power switch jumper (so low level computer stuff is running)... but not so far along as completing the POST (power on self test) where it plays the beep (signifying POST is complete and ready to boot.) and not far enough that the CPU is able to put out it's own beep error code.

this makes me believe you still have a ram issue. since we have eliminated the videocard and you say the cpu is "new"...but the computer still behaves the same as the old one... i'd say ram.

really if all you swapped from the old system is videocard and ram and you tested the videocard and it works... process of elimination says ram to me.

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2019, 02:46:59 pm »
Thanks for the response. ya im not hearing a beep at all on the CPU. So the ram does it matter what ram is used?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 01:03:49 pm »
it's going to depend specifically what board you have. I believe you have a somewhat newer board than the one i have here in my office... but it should still be DDR2 ram. (DG965SS?) if that's the case, it will take  DDR2-533,  DDR2-677 or DDR2-800 (AKA PC2-4200, PC2-5300 and PC2-6400)

I would stick to 1GB maximum (either 4x256, 2x512mb or 1x1gb) as some software installations can get weirded out and think less than the appropriate amount is present and fail when large amounts are installed.

if you have the DG31PR board that only has 2 slots (2x512 or 1x1gb) ...that board is spec'd to accept DDR2-677 or DDR2-800 only

and no ECC ram, boards can't handle it. just standard.

apparently highest speed DDR2 ram sticks sold by crucial memory (DDR2-1000 AKA PC2-8000) are backwards compatable with slower speeds. as always your mileage may vary, motherboards are picky about their ramming.  ;D

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2019, 11:02:37 am »
K so i tried the ram and video card in my other pc and its working just fine. I checked around on the internet and found a video to test some stuff. Like remove battery move jumper. Put jumper back and battery. Still no beep. Removed the video card and powered up cpu and still no beep. Removed ram and powered back up and still no beep. So is there anything else i can check? Almost seems like the motherboard is garbage to me. I dont know what to do. Any chance you have a working golden tee board that can i try or buy from you. Ill give you my two old boards if you wanted and fix them and re-sell them if possible to fix.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 02:58:28 pm »
maybe you just received a bad board. if you bought it off ebay, i'd probably file a claim on it and see if you can send it back and recover your money.

I actually just bought a board off ebay to repair a machine, so I don't have spares.

I can offer you a list of motherboards used in the Golden tee machines. Depending on which year you have on your drive, is going to depend on how "high" you can go. From oldest to newest list I have here is:

for socket 775

D915GUX
DG965SS
DG31PR

socket 1155
DB65AL
DH61CR

i also have listed:

IMBM-B75A-A20 (i have noted on my list this board requires 2017+ not sure if this was actually use in production machines or used as replacements i'm not sure where i got the number from...perhaps one that came in for repair.)

I can confirm some of the motherboards used in the power putt and super strike bowling indeed work for golden tee, but have very old videocards (some using AGP)  in a pinch they will work, but run pretty slow. In our business slow is better than not working at all.

as for the old boards, it's best to repair stuff like blown caps and whatnot while it still works... once it goes dead, you have a less than 30% chance of it coming back alive again. I have a mountain of dead motherboards as a testament to that. (i posted a pic on the forum a while back of it)

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 06:44:02 pm »
Thanks. I have a 2018 hard drive brand new. not been upgraded. The golden tee was originally 2009 that was upgraded to 2015 then the new hard drive in 2018. I never replaced anything else. So can i use any of the boards listed? I also have a Zotac 740 GT 2Gb video card and one gig ram installed.

This is the board i bought from ebay ~INTEL D915GUX, AA C63985-202 LGA 775 Motherboard +CPU Intel Pentium 4 540 3.2gh. Was that the right board to buy?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 10:56:02 am »
the board model you got looks correct. the cpu doesn't particularly matter as long as it's "socket compatible". (IE socket 775)

yes, with 2018 you should be able to use any of the listed boards. they more or less just change boards when the current model supply dries up... they would just add driver support for the new board into the next years game release.

so the latest version will have support for the current and all previous boards used.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 09:04:36 pm »
Did you try a new psu yet?  I don't know anything about your machine but I did have a PC once that would almost boot up and fail.  I never suspected the psu because ot seemed to be getting power.  After troubleshooting the bios and everything else, I rolled the dice on a psu and it turned out to be the culprit.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 11:42:23 pm »
he did mention in one of the first posts he'd replaced the power supply.

never know...maybe the PSU STB  :dunno seen weirder things happen.

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 09:23:32 pm »
Question if i take the motherboard out and try to power it up by itself with ram and a video card installed on it will it post? Or does it have to be plugged into all of the other boards in the golden tee machine. Does the IO board have anything to do with it not posting? Just seems strange that both motherboards are kaput.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 10:23:31 pm »
no, it's regular plain old computer hardware. you could boot it and instal windows on it if you wanted. the extra stuff is just for the game.

even booting with golden tee hard drive and everything disconnected just boots to an error screen saying the IO board is disconnected.

but yeh, it's just regular computer hardware.

Encryptedmind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2019, 01:46:11 pm »
So just to confirm on this thread that i got the DH61CR motherboard with i5 chip working on my golden tee machine. The other motherboard and my old motherboard were toast not sure what happened. But they wouldnt work. But the new board does and Im very happy. Thanks lilshawn and everyone elses input on this thread.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2019, 04:15:06 pm »
 :cheers: :applaud:

gtcam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2020, 01:05:35 pm
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2020, 01:53:00 pm »
lilshawn, I just bought a 2008 golden tee cabinet from a guy that said he hasn't turned it on in 3 the last 3 years. This post seems to describe my current situation exactly. I just tried to jumper the BIOS with the blue/yellow cord disconnected. Nothing came on.
I think the pictures you posted in here would help me, but they are not showing up.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2020, 05:15:55 pm »
sorry, that account got deleted... i'll post it here for you.

basically you can see the tops are dome shape instead of flat... means they are toast.

there is one to the left of the heatsink too that is likely dead too (it's not marked)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:17:39 pm by lilshawn »

gtcam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2020, 06:10:01 pm »
Thank you for replying!

Actually, the picture I was trying to see was the one you sent earlier in the thread.

Just some info on what I got: DG965SS with LGA775. Attached is a picture of the schematic on my nighthawk box.

When you say “jumper the red” you mean touch a screw driver to the 2 red pins (pins 6 and 8) in the picture.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2020, 07:21:08 pm »
that's the one

gtcam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2020, 08:10:34 pm »
That didn't work. Still haven't been able to get any response from the fans.

One thing I noticed though: the entire metal box has a slight charge to it. It is definitely bearable, it just feels tingles. Is this bad?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 12:54:31 am »
One thing I noticed though: the entire metal box has a slight charge to it. It is definitely bearable, it just feels tingles. Is this bad?

yeah that's a REALLY bad sign.

STOP RIGHT NOW! UNPLUG EVERYTHING and check out the outlet you got that plugged into...if your ground is broken off or you are plugged into a 2 prong extention cord or something with the ground hanging out STOP IT. if you are plugged directly into an outlet... get yourself a plug tester.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Gear-Receptacle-Indications-50542/dp/B002LZTKIA

a plug tester is cheap and quickly tell you if your outlet has an issue. it's a couple buck that will keep you from getting killed. literally. you can get one from a hardware store or any place that sells home lighting and outlets and wire and stuff.

make sure the cord is grounded properly. the whole reason we ground stuff is so this can't happen. i've seen cords been wired improperly causing all kinds of issues. the "IEC" end of the cord that goes into the computer has 2 terminals on one side and one in the middle by itself on the other. the one by itself is ground... it should be attached to the ground pin on the plug side. it's not hard to test with a volt meter. basically make sure it's connected.

IEC cords are usually pretty plentiful (I know I have a drawer full) i'd throw it away and replace it just to eliminate it as a suspect. mains power is not something to mess around with.

if your outlet is good and replacing the cord still doent fix your buzz on the box... replace the power supply...you may have an input filter issue causing leakage into the ground. (and the case by proxy)

your power supply is likely still bad, i would just replace it since your board is still not powering up anyways. not that the electrocution is helping things.

but PLEASE be careful, stuff like this can kill you. this is why we ground things. I can guarantee if your ground was much worse that it is or missing completely, touching that case would make you dead. no lie. no exageration. 300 people a year die and over 4000 get injured from electrocution.

gtcam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2020, 02:20:36 pm »
Okay, scary stuff, thanks for the heads up!

I got a tester, new cord, and I switched outlets. The outlet I’m using has is testing “correct” (the 2 yellow lights are lighting up). Thank you!

Felt the box, no more tingling. Good to go.

The fans still aren’t turning on. I think might soft power switch might be bad.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2020, 12:39:52 am »
ok, glad you got that sorted. must have been a bad lead.  cut that wire up and throw it away. you don't want to get busy move it aside somewhere and forget about it...then accidentally use it in something else.

if still no response from the board, check the power supply 5v standby voltage. (5VSB) this is what powers the computer while it's turned "off" so you can press the power button to boot it up. it's a little bit of power it uses to get the ball rolling.

measure with a voltmeter from a negative black wire (any one) and the 5VSB wire... it's a purple wire and it's in the biggest connector that plugs into the motherboard. just stick your volt meter probe down the backside of the connector and touch the metal.

if your power supply has a power switch on the back, it should be "on". you should have 5 volts DC on that wire (or near to 5 volts anyways). even if the computer isn't running or turned on. this voltage is always there.

if it's missing or low (less than 4 volts), the power supply is dead and/or dying.

if it's there, you can try and bump start the computer and hope for the best. you need to manually connect the green PSON wire to a black wire... this will kick on the power supply and drive the computer board without it actually requesting power. sometimes this is enough to get things going enough for it to straighten itself out and start booting when you hit the power button connection again. I use a bent metal paperclip stuffed into the back of the connector to join the green to one of the black wires right next to it.

if the fans and stuff kick on, give it a second and see if it will boot. if not, pull that jumper and see if it stays on.

if it shuts off again when you pull the paperclip out, try and jump the power button connection again and see if it starts.

I wouldn't rule out a bad power supply though, if you have one you know is good that you can just pop in just to test and see if it will work would be great thing to do. eliminate it as a suspect.

if STILL nothing from the board. locate the bios configuration jumper. it's a little yellow block near the front panel connection... and remove it. and try and power it on again.

if after all these things it still doesn't want to start... it's likely the board is dead dead.

gtcam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2020, 01:54:01 pm »
Good idea on cutting it haha

I bought a new power supply and the fans still won’t come on.

Awesome, ok I will try this bump start method. While I’m doing this, should the BIOS jumper be in the normal position or the configure position?

gtcam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2020, 09:30:10 pm »
Ok so the fans do come on when the paper clip is on the green/black. The I/O board has one solid green light and another blinking green one. However, it turns off when I take the paper clip out. I've tried all three positions on the bios jumper, they all lead to the same result. Nothing comes on the monitor, so I don't have a chance to do bios stuff.

How long can I leave the paperclip in there? I've only left in there for like 1 minute.

(the dip settings look right according to the manual)

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 12:25:47 am »
usually only a few seconds is enough. I have a sneaking suspicion the board has gone to the afterlife.

if you remove the jumper and boot it, it resets the bios...but since it's AWOL it may not do this.

you can try and remove the battery and leave it for a few hours...reinstalling it... then try booting it again. if not, it's done for.

gtcam

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 10:35:23 pm »
Yea :/ I guess it's done for.

I bought another DG965SS board though, so hopefully that will work.

So I can get any of CPUs listed here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006498/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html and be good?

Also I currently have a nx7600gs-t2d256eh but im wondering if there other compatible video cards?