Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arachnid Super Six dart board power supply upgrade to switcher  (Read 8586 times)

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Arachnid Super Six dart board power supply upgrade to switcher
« on: September 12, 2019, 01:23:04 am »
Some old instructions of mine regarding upgrading the original Arachnid power supply to a switcher:

Converting a 6000 (Super Six), 6100 (Super Six Plus), 6200 & 6300 (Super Six Plus 2) power supply from that crappy linear design to a modern switching regulator. You will need a screw terminal switching regulator power supply capable of outputing at least 3 amps (preferably 4 amps) on the +12 volt line. The reason for this is that the monitor, amplifier, and coin door lamps/gameboard lamps/pushbutton lamps all run on the 12 volts.

1. Remove the old circuit board that's screwed to the big blue capacitor.

2. Remove the big blue electrolytic capacitor and it's mounting bracket.

3. Remove the power transformer. Follow it's black wires underneath the chassis to the lamp dimmer circuit board. Now cut off the black wires an inch or two away from the board.

4. Butt splice an 18 gauge stranded wire to each of the black wires you just cut on that board. The wires should be about a foot long for each one. These will be the AC power wires to the new switching regulator power supply.

5. Place the new switching power supply on top of the chassis and mark locations of it's mounting brackets and drill four 3/32" holes. When drilling the holes be sure not to drill through the lamp dimmer board (or it's components) and make sure no metal filings/shavings fall on the board. Mount the new supply with four #6 sheet metal screws about 1/4" to 3/8" long.

6. Now to connect the DC outputs of the new supply to the game harness Connector J1 which plugged into the original power supply. Connect all the +5 volt wires of the game wiring harness (pins 4 and 6) to the +5 volt terminal on the new supply. Connect all the GROUND wires of the game wiring harness (pins 1, 3, 9, and 10) to the Common terminals on the new supply. Connect all the +12 volt (pins 5, 7, and 8 ) AND the +21 volt (pin 2) wires to the +12 volt terminal on the new power supply. The +21 volts was for the audio amplifier which will work fine on the +12 volt connection.

Pinout of J1:
1 is Ground (black wire)
2 is +21 volts for amplifier (green wire) [can be connected to +12 volts instead and still work for sound]
3 is Ground (black wire)
4 is +5 volts (red wire)
5 is +12 volts to coin door lamps (wire color varies from machine to machine, but is usually blue)
6 is +5 volts (red wire)
7 is +12 volts to remove/throw darts lights and pushbutton lights (wire color varies, but is usually blue)
8 is +12 volts to monitor (blue wire)
9 is Ground (black wire)
10 is Ground (black wire)

Suggested power supplies:

Mean Well model RD-85A:
https://www.jameco.com/z/RD-85A-MEAN-WELL-AC-to-DC-Power-Supply-Dual-Output-5-Volt-12-Volt-10-Amp-5-Amp-88-Watt_323628.html

Mean Well RD-125A:
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&langId=-1&freeText=323741&storeId=10001&productId=323741&krypto=2x5DL11df3Ab6Sx2lbD6377aqnl%2F1L4hHyiQv8xronwgLGyqldMA78BKzDk1psqyIZB7%2BaeqoNF%2Bew%2FIDqX7JhDvTfgblaqegmvYheM9Gqbc7FXIlUTJh24nd5yhkj8Z&ddkey=https%3AStoreCatalogDrillDownView

Happ Controls 80-0210-00:
https://na.suzohapp.com/products/power_supplies/80-0210-00

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 01:50:06 am by Ken Layton »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
Re: Arachnid Super Six dart board power supply upgrade to switcher
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 01:53:37 am »
Alert:

Arachnid has removed all manuals and schematics for all "legacy" machines (including the 6000/6100/6200/6300) from their website.

https://www.arachnid360.com/2019-commercial-products/legacy-dartboards/6000-series-dartboards/

All you get now is just a general description of what the machines were and when they were produced. Not very helpful if you're trying to repair a machine.

SpeedyJ97

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2020, 09:40:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 04:04:14 pm »
I think I am going to try this. I posted in another thread, hoping you would see also. I would like to make a dongle and use a male male connector so i dont cut up the game wiring harness. Which looks like what you are doing in the pics there? I remember these posts from many years ago and had recorded the information but never got around to doing it. Oddly enough, i FOUND a switching power supply in the side of the cabinet today opposite where the coin door is. Looks like a previous owner was on the right track and walked away? Its brand new, but junk albeit. Min Dong MD-9916A. Quick look seems like this has the power i need even if it is an 'off brand'.

I would still like to fix my original power supply. Without going into much detail, it is missing the 12V circuit on all legs. But the important 5V one is intact.

You are an asset to the world here sir. keep on posting.   

TGill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2020, 08:42:06 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 06:01:37 pm »
Hi Ken,  I would like to do this upgrade and I want to buy the Mean Well RD-125a or 85a.  The minimum current rating on the +5v is 2A.  Does the Super Six draw enough current to meet this requirement.  Thanks in advance.  I have used your advice a few times.

TGill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 08:22:36 pm »
I decided to try the Mean Well RD125.  It worked great.  The mounting is a little different.  I had to drill three clearance for M3 screws.  The screws come up through the bottom of the base and screw into threaded holes in the power supply.  The power supply ends up hanging off each side by a little bit because the power supply is longer than the base.  I’m not sure if it matters but one of the black power wires that goes to the light circuit in the base is labeled Neutral on the circuit board so I made sure I connected that wire to the Neutral on the power supply.  My base is plastic so I also connected a ground to the ground terminal on the power supply.  Do not do this.  The manual says the ground is supposed to be floating so I later removed the ground.  My power supply is also mounted 180 degrees from how Ken mounted it.  I would have not been able to access the terminals on the power supply after I reinstalled the whole assembly unless I turned it around.  The other thing about the Mean Well is that they have the voltages labeled as V1 and V2 and they don’t tell you which is the 5 or 12v.  I tried to measure the voltages without a load and the voltage just cycles.  It needs a load to measure the voltage.  Anyway, V1 is 5v and V2 is 12 volt.  I am very happy with the result.  No more game locking up and no more lines across the monitor.  Everything works including the sound.  Thanks Ken.  I wouldn’t have attempted this without your write up.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 11:05:23 pm »
A label on the outside of the Mean Well's case usually has the model number and what voltages the V1 and V2 are printed on it.

TGill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 07:47:53 am »
I have noticed that my display seems dim.  I checked the 12v supply and it is reading 11.3.  I'm not sure if this is adjustable.  Mean Well doesn't give much info with their power supplies.  I only see one adjustment and I think it is for the 5volts.  I put the question about the power supply on Amazon.  Does anybody know if the monitor brightness is adjustable?  My Arachnid manual says to look at the monitor manual but I don't have one and I don't see one online.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 11:42:24 am »
The only adjustment on the Mean Well (and most other switching power supplies for arcade use) is for the +5 volts. Your 11.5 volts on the 12 volts is within tolerance.

Arachnid used two different brands of 9" monitors in the Super 6 series: Kristel and Omnivision. Manuals are here (they show locations of all controls):

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-monitors/KristelMonitor.pdf

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-monitors/OmniVisionMonitor.pdf

Attached is my Dart Monitor Repair Guide for those monitors. My guide is hard to find elsewhere, so download and save it. Yes, both brands have brightness and contrast controls on them. Your topic is now turning into monitor problems in which we have a monitor forum for. Any further monitor stuff should be done in the monitor forum. Keeps it easier for those searching for monitor solutions.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 12:33:40 pm by Ken Layton »

Haagy65

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2020, 11:35:18 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 01:32:26 am »
Hello, I have a arachnid super six I believe from 1986, after about 30 minutes of play the score readout starts getting dimmer & dimmer until it goes to game over, would a new or rebuilt power supply fix this problem?  If so where can I get the parts for repair, my power supply looks original?  Thanks for any help!

PS. I have a mean well rd-85a on hand to replace the power supply if need be!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 07:41:40 pm by Haagy65 »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 09:57:38 pm »
Arachnid built dozens of different dart game models. Pictures of the machine in question would be nice.

zschulte

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2020, 11:04:35 am
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 04:47:03 pm »
I decided to try the Mean Well RD125.  It worked great.  The mounting is a little different.  I had to drill three clearance for M3 screws.  The screws come up through the bottom of the base and screw into threaded holes in the power supply.  The power supply ends up hanging off each side by a little bit because the power supply is longer than the base.  I’m not sure if it matters but one of the black power wires that goes to the light circuit in the base is labeled Neutral on the circuit board so I made sure I connected that wire to the Neutral on the power supply.  My base is plastic so I also connected a ground to the ground terminal on the power supply.  Do not do this.  The manual says the ground is supposed to be floating so I later removed the ground.  My power supply is also mounted 180 degrees from how Ken mounted it.  I would have not been able to access the terminals on the power supply after I reinstalled the whole assembly unless I turned it around.  The other thing about the Mean Well is that they have the voltages labeled as V1 and V2 and they don’t tell you which is the 5 or 12v.  I tried to measure the voltages without a load and the voltage just cycles.  It needs a load to measure the voltage.  Anyway, V1 is 5v and V2 is 12 volt.  I am very happy with the result.  No more game locking up and no more lines across the monitor.  Everything works including the sound.  Thanks Ken.  I wouldn’t have attempted this without your write up.

TGill I am in the same position to install a new power supply. I have one on hand and have read this thread as well as asked questions on arcade museum that Ken has posted on. I have an english mark super six with upgraded 6300 super spider matrix.  I have a new power supply, wires and connectors I believe I need to tackle this.  Would you be able to post pictures of how you wired everything without hacking the harness? I have the list of wiring but more visual references would be GREAT!!

Thanks,
Zac
I have attached photos of mine currently

jtuttle4

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2020, 12:54:44 am
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 12:20:18 pm »
I have a super 6 plus 2, 6200 board and can’t get it to accept coin credits. I have replaced the coin credit card with one from a known good unit. I have replaced a couple of the chips as described in the manual. It has an analog coin counter mounted on the back of the coin door and it counts up when you insert a coin or just flick the wire but it won’t add the coins credits so i can’t play the game. I’m at the end of what i can do. What would be the next place to look?