Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [Finished] Mortal Kombat - 1up the 1up  (Read 17628 times)

DarakuTenshi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2022, 11:39:46 am
    • Card Fighters Project
[Finished] Mortal Kombat - 1up the 1up
« on: September 10, 2019, 05:47:36 pm »
It's been a while since I've made anything, so now that I'm living in a new city and got all my tools nicely organized... I figured it's about time to do something new.

I am not a big fan of the 1up Arcade cabinets, for many reasons I'm sure that many of you are not. The components are cheap, the build is cheap, they all look the same with different stickers slapped on them, no light behind the marquee, etc... But! When the Mortal Kombat cabinet came out and I got to play it, I was really wanting to buy one. That is when reality slapped me in the face and said, it's still a 1up cab. So, what I decided to do a couple of weeks ago is beginning to design a cabinet in the size of the 1up cabs, but make it with the correct styling of the actual arcade cab that I'm trying to simulate.

My last cab I was going to make a 2nd "drop-in" control pane with Mortal Kombat control scheme, but I never got around to doing it. So I'm just going to build another cab. Right now, I'm waiting on the controls to all come in, along with a few other parts like the monitor and speakers. I figured I'd start sharing a little of what I'm doing with you all. I have lots of progress photos, but I'm going to hold off on posting those until closer to the end. For now, here is my 3D mockup. (I'm still working on the artwork, and I'm not sure if I will just go with the MK2 art, or something custom.

As you can see I also plan on making a custom riser for the cabinet. The difference in this build is that I'm going to be widening the control panel, ever so slightly, to accommodate easier access for two players. Also I will be running the emulation via RPi. I will end up putting a bunch of MK games on this thing.

List of Games:
Arcade - MK, MKII, MK3, UMK3, MK4 (if it can run on Pi)
SNES - MK, MKII, MK3, UMK3, (MK1 Blood Hack)
Genesis - MK, MKII, MK3, UMK3
32X - MKII
Sega CD - MK
Gameboy - MK, MKII (because why not)
Game Gear - MK, MKII (because why not)
PSX - MKT, MK4, Sub-Zero Mythologies
Additional Arcade games: Time Killers and Blood Storm

Cost of build (rounded to the nearest half dollar:

$98 - Wood
$40 - Wood for Riser
$10 - Paint
$0 - Tools, hardware, wires (already owned)
$44 - Joysticks, Buttons, wireharnass, USB encoder
$0 - Speaker Amp (already had laying around, I think it was $10 originally)
$16 - Speakers (not counting the $10 speakers that I threw away)
$0 - Monitor (found someone giving away old monitors on Facebook for free)
$0 - LED Strips for the marquee (I got them a couple of years ago for a different project, I can't recall the cost).
$27 - Bezel Glass - I went with a smoky-colored Acrylic. Tried it on my DT cab and loved it
$169 - All artwork - obviously the highest cost part for the whole thing.
$24 - T-Molding
----------------------
$428 Total

Optional costs:
$50 coin slot

[CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE THEM]

[Update]

Well, I've been waiting for more of my parts to come in and ran into an issue. Bought some speakers on eBay and found out they were just grills, despite the auction saying that it comes with speakers. Anyway, I thought I'd post a few pictures while I continue to wait for my speakers to come in as the next thing I have to do involves installing the speakers. Since this thing is so small I have no choice but to wait. So anyway here is a bit of progress...

Wood waiting to be cut

Building the base

Measuring out the side and getting ready to cut.

Starting assembly.

[Update 2]
Got my speakers in the mail today WOOOO! I soldered some speaker wire onto those 3" bad boys and hook them up to my amplifier and BOOM! At max volume, they are ultra-quiet, even though they were advertised as LOUD. Needless to say, I don't have much of an update. I've added some additional photos above that I took from before I ordered my speakers. Today I've ordered some new speakers and hope they don't take as long to get here and hope that they are much better. The reviews said they were "great" we shall see.  :banghead:
More to come later.

[Update 3 - 11-1-19]
I had a beautiful warm day today, so I took advantage and pulled my tools outside so I could get some more work done. Most of the big stuff is out of the way now. And as that speaker issue is now out of the way, I was able to get more work on the cab done. I've cut the speaker holes in the speaker panel and added the top and back of the cab. I have also added the back housing for my LED lights for my marquee.

[Speaker panel and top of the cab in place]

[cab back in place]
My next part to tackle will be the lock for the back of the cabinet as well as putting airflow out the back of the cab. Then on to the control panel, and then on to the monitor mount.

[Update 4 - 11-2-19]

Doing a test on the button spacing before sending my graphics to the printer. The joystick was just a rough cut, I plan on making a jig when I have the real thing cut.

[Update 5 - 11-3-19]

This is my first time using LED strips for lighting a marquee... I think I may have overdone it a bit. I'll have to go in and remove a couple of strips as it's very bright. Either that or I will have to defuse the light a bit.

[Update 6 - 8-7-2021]
I can't believe it's been nearing two years since my last update! After the weather got too cold for me to work on the project COVID hit... and you'd think that would have given me plenty of time to work on the cab, but no. I actually got quite a bit busier during these past two years. So, I finally pulled the cab out of its little corner and started working on it yet again. It took me a while to get reacclimated with the design, especially with the control panel. I have actually cut a new piece of wood for the control panel because of a slight adjustment that I've decided to do. But the CP is now assembled. I was planning on mounting the monitor today, but I've just gotten too hot outside that I decided to call it quits for today.

Made some modifications to my control panel before assembly.

Well, it's starting to come together.

[Update 7 - 8-9-2021]
Got home after work and after buying the screws I needed to mount my monitor... turns out I bought the wrong length screws. So, I'll have to return to the hardware store to buy the proper length. The question is, do I want to go back today? I guess it depends on if there is anything I want to do now that I'm off work besides working on the tiny cab. I do need to pick up some wood for my marquee restrainer... so I guess it might not be a bad idea to go get it today.

[Update 8 - 8-14-2021]
I purchased my plexiglass for the bezel and the artwork for the cab, so while I'm waiting on those to arrive, I decided to fix the sides of the control panel and cut the notches for the top of the control panel. Take a look at the size comparison to the original cut... it was really messed up.

[Update 9 - 8-19-2021]
Today was productive, I was able to get my bezel retainer and monitor all mounted.

I also got all of my artwork in the mail, so I was able to put together my marquee (no picture yet), as well as get my control panel ready to start doing some good game testing. I still need to pick up the plexiglass for the CP, so I can't go any further until I have that in hand. But along with that.

I was able to get my tinted plexiglass and bezel installed, as well as getting my control panel cut so that it will keep the plexiglass in place and to keep from tokens falling where they do not belong.

[Update 10 - 8-22-2021]
Over the past couple days I've been working on several things, I now have the control panel ready and have tested it, it works great and looks good.

I've sanded the exterior and now in this photo worked on plugging the holes and then more sanding.

And finally from today, starting to paint the cabinet and will have to do a bunch of wet sanding and a few more coats of paint. Not sure how long this process will be as I've never done this on such a large project before. I've done it on my smaller projects and even that took quite a bit of time. So... this may be an all week thing when I've got free time.

[Update 11 - 8-29-2021]
Over the past week I have been working at painting and sanding, painting and sanding, painting and... you get the point.
The riser was started (it's even further along now, but I'm needing to still do the filling and painting before I post any more of that)

I pulled out my decals and decided to put those on. Also, because of the last-minute change that I made on the side of the control panel, the decals were too small for it. So I'll have to order new decals to fix that problem.

I spent all day Saturday working on the programming of the Pi. Most of my difficulties were in figuring out how to configure the inputs for all the different emulators. That is all worked out now and I've put quite a bit of time into my theme.

[Update 12 - 9-15-2021]
I have been down in Louisiana for the past two weeks, so needless to say, I've not been able to work on the cab. After getting back I started back up again and I have the riser mostly finished. Now that I have the exact dimensions (as I made changes to the riser as I got further along in the build). I will have to make and order my graphics for the riser. I was thinking of putting 3 different MK logos, one on each side and one on the front. But, I am rethinking that as I'd rather have an all-black front to the cab. So, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do as of yet. But, I certainly want something for the lower part of the cab.

I ordered my T-Molding yesterday and can't wait to get that put on the cab as that is basically the last thing I need to do on the outside. I still have cable management to deal with and wire connectors for my hidden buttons so I can do a quick disconnect when I disassemble the cab (for when I have to move it).

[Update 13 - 9-20-2021]
It seems there was a hiccup on getting the rest of my decals, so for now I did what I could with the t-molding. Still waiting on my miles connectors and I have to take a trip to the local hardware store to pick up a couple more items (small details) to finish this thing off. Programming has been done (for the most part). There are a few more things that I would like to do with the OS, but they may or may not happen.

[Update 14 - 10-01-2021]
For the most part I am finished. I have a few minor things to do, the major one of the issues is to add a volume control outside of the cabinet and it will be done. I am quite happy with the final results, I may make a couple corrections on some things, but my guess is that it won’t matter. Way way here are the final shots.

If there was anything I could change, I probably would have made this as one unit, rather than building a riser. That riser was a pain in the butt.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 06:15:49 pm by DarakuTenshi »
My past arcade builds - Click to enlarge and get a closer look

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: Mortal Kombat - 1up the 1up
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 05:57:12 pm »
That is why reality slapped me in the face and said, it's still a 1up cab. So, what I decided to do a couple weeks ago is beginning to design a cabinet in the size of the 1up cabs, but make it with the correct styling of the actual arcade cab that I'm trying to simulate.

:cheers:  :applaud:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 06:14:30 pm »
That is why reality slapped me in the face and said, it's still a 1up cab. So, what I decided to do a couple weeks ago is beginning to design a cabinet in the size of the 1up cabs, but make it with the correct styling of the actual arcade cab that I'm trying to simulate.

:cheers:  :applaud:

This! So much ducking this!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 06:27:18 pm »
I like the idea, but why don't you just make it the correct size to begin with? Why make a riser?

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 07:58:29 pm »
To have an excuse to show up 1up, and then it's the proper size for my son.

[edit]
Or do you mean proper size as in Arcade size? If that's the case, I had to sell my Ms. Pac when I moved into this house because I don't have the room for it... I still don't honestly know where I'm going to put this one if my wife won't let me keep it in my sons room.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:09:09 pm by DarakuTenshi »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 08:06:17 pm »
No I just wondered why it was necessary to build a riser instead of building a larger cab. Now I know. I look forward to your posts.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 09:56:35 pm »
MK2 is still one of my all time favorite games.  Will be watching for sure.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 05:32:02 pm »
Very cool! I'll echo Mikes statement and suggest you build the bottom to be the correct height from the get go. I have the Arcade 1up MKII without a riser in my girls game room, they are 7 and 9 and they can still stand up at it (but the 9 year old prefers a chair). They use stools for the full size machines and it doesn't seem to bother them one way or another, but they'll eventually need a riser.

Strongly suggest using something to create a CRT effect. if possible, make it a little deeper so you can use a 17" CRT. If you aren't going with full side art, that's a shame, but perhaps use black vinyl wrap to save some time. I've built some cabs with it and it's a real time saver.

Good luck! I think it's going to be great, but surprised all these 1up haters aren't telling you how terrible the size is going to be....

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 06:05:40 pm »
Look at lew trying to fish out some off-topic pollution to your build thread. Shame on you, Lew. Shame.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 06:18:06 pm »
Look at lew trying to fish out some off-topic pollution to your build thread. Shame on you, Lew. Shame.

Hey, that's a quality 90% post I made. There is a small sharp edge to my post but it's 100% on topic.  >:D

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 06:44:01 pm »
:lol  well I'm not falling for that 10% bait.

I am with Lew on trying to fit a CRT in there, but I wouldn't adjust the depth to do so. I would look into a mirror set-up.  Have the CRT lay flat, facing upward inside the cabinet, then use a mirror to reflect the image to the front.   A lot of original cabinets did this BITD, and it helped with keeping the size manageable while supporting a CRT. 

You're probably not going to put a coin door in there, am I right?  Which gives you some real estate in the bottom of the cabinet to do a mirror set-up.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 06:46:17 pm »
Mortal Kombat games are new enough that they look fine on an LCD. 

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 10:32:59 pm »
Very cool! I'll echo Mikes statement and suggest you build the bottom to be the correct height from the get go. I have the Arcade 1up MKII without a riser in my girls game room, they are 7 and 9 and they can still stand up at it (but the 9 year old prefers a chair). They use stools for the full size machines and it doesn't seem to bother them one way or another, but they'll eventually need a riser.

Strongly suggest using something to create a CRT effect. if possible, make it a little deeper so you can use a 17" CRT. If you aren't going with full side art, that's a shame, but perhaps use black vinyl wrap to save some time. I've built some cabs with it and it's a real time saver.

Good luck! I think it's going to be great, but surprised all these 1up haters aren't telling you how terrible the size is going to be....

It's actually way too late to make changes like that, I've already got much of the build finished. I'm just waiting for parts to come in so I can finish it. As soon as my speakers come in I can get the speaker panel and the top and back of the cabinet put together. Then when the joysticks and buttons come in I can work on some of that but will have to put it off a bit longer until I get my artwork ordered and in as well. I'm holding off on posting any progress because I want to post a lot at a time. It's been slow going as I've been working on this the past couple weeks because I have to do it little by little every time I get paid.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 09:48:09 pm »
Added edit on the first post with an update.

Stupid eBay seller caused a delay, so I thought I'd toss a small update. I've got more completed than what the pictures show, but waiting to post some more. Unfortunately, my new speakers are not expected to come in until November. I hope that is a very liberal estimate on shipping time.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 03:17:14 pm »
FINALLY! After 3 eBay auctions, I finally got not only what I asked for but something working and working well.
The first speaker order was to come with speaker and grills (they send just grill and claimed that the auction was not for speakers, I guess it was an issue of bad English).
The next order got speakers in horrid condition and was extremely quiet (even though they said they were "loud" speakers).
The Yellow speakers were the ones I got in the mail today and work very well.

I worked on the speaker panel today, but the weather is getting really cold now, so my time in the garage will be very limited. I still hope to finish this before winter is over.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 06:45:47 pm »
Speakers are not inherently "quiet" they are designed to work as a load on your amp... That is to say a "Loud" speaker is most likely for a PA system and normally a 16ohm speaker, Why it is quiet is because your amp most likely is for 8 ok r 4ohm...Not enough to drive them Miss Daisy.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 12:00:39 am »
Funny, but I ran both sets of speakers from the same amp and they were worlds appart.

pjkjr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2020, 07:39:39 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 07:30:08 am »
Speakers are not inherently "quiet" they are designed to work as a load on your amp... That is to say a "Loud" speaker is most likely for a PA system and normally a 16ohm speaker, Why it is quiet is because your amp most likely is for 8 ok r 4ohm...Not enough to drive them Miss Daisy.

OMG thank you! as someone who has worked in the Audio/Electronics field professionally for years, I have heard the speakers blamed for volume so many times, I've gotten quite tired explaining that they are simply a vessel for the sound, the amplifier is what drives them. Excellent explanation here.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:59:49 am by pjkjr »

pjkjr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 04:00:26 pm »
Funny, but I ran both sets of speakers from the same amp and they were worlds appart.

That is probably because the impedance (resistance) of the new speakers was probably lower, 8 ohm or 4 ohm are most common. The lower the impedance, the higher the output from the amp.

In most applications, you can get double the power output of the amp by cutting the impedance of the speakers in half. As long as the amp can handle the load. For example, an amp puts out 20w at 16 Ohms, 40w at 8 Ohms and  80w at 4 Ohms. *note- these numbers are arbitrary and only used for this example, I do not actually know the impedance of the speakers or power ratings of the amp*

I like this idea of the cab btw, and happy you're getting the sound you were after!

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 04:00:51 pm »
Well, thank you for trying to explain that to me. I knew the sound was dependant on the amp, I don't know how all the ins and out work with it... and still don't :lol. But, yes it was a 4ohms speaker set.

I have updated the first post with progress.

[edit]
hmmm... oddly enough they are both 4Ω speakers.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 04:38:16 pm by DarakuTenshi »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 05:42:21 pm »
If your curious you could check those "bad" speakers with an ohm meter, My guess it is drawing more than the 4 ohm it is rated at...@ pjkjr : thanks, I get the frustration you know, And it is a deep ugly subject few people would have the patience to ever learn. Currently I am upgrading pin speakers, and the Flipper Fidelity set I chose say...run 2 8ohm speakers in series to be a 4 ohm load, *Jenn shakes her head* seems to me and the math that is wrong, but perhaps I am just overlooking the obvious.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 05:44:06 pm by jennifer »

pjkjr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2019, 06:43:51 am »
If you run two 8 Ohm speakers in series then it would be 16 ohms, you would need them to be wired in parallel to get to 4. Judging by some of the posts I've seen from you on here, I feel like you know that lol. Sounds like who ever did the write up for flipper fidelity needs to brush up on either their math skills or their basic electrical theory.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2021, 04:03:16 pm »
My goodness, it's been almost two years since I've done anything with this project. I need to get it finished so I can start on my Neo-Geo arcade sticks that I've been wanting to do. Anyway, the update is listed in my original post.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2021, 11:45:49 am »
I would recommend mortal konmbat gold for dreamcast. My favorite way to play mk 4 at home.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2021, 06:24:16 pm »
I would recommend mortal konmbat gold for dreamcast. My favorite way to play mk 4 at home.
Actually, I was thinking about that the other day, originally I was going to use a RPi3b that I have laying around, but decided to use that one for my Neo-Geo project. I also have a RPi4 in my game room closet. I've heard they have gotten Dreamcast running on it and thought this would be the perfect time to put not only MK4 Gold, but also put the N64 version of MK Trilogy on it. I prefer the N64 version due to the lack of load times.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2021, 08:54:47 pm »
List of Games:
Arcade - MK, MKII, MK3, UMK3, MK4 (if it can run on Pi)
SNES - MK, MKII, MK3, UMK3, (MK1 Blood Hack)
32X - MKII
Sega CD - MK
Gameboy - MK, MKII (because why not)
Game Gear - MK, MKII (because why not)
Additional Arcade games: Time Killers and Blood Storm
No War Gods or WWF Wrestlemania?
I don't really understand running the console games if you can run the arcade versions......and the handheld games are terrible. At least you don't have the Game.com game on the list or the NES hacks.
No UMK3 Genesis hack version though? No Ultimate MKT Genesis hack either? for shame.
UMK3: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3158/
UMKT: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1059/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 08:56:53 pm by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2021, 05:05:27 pm »
Simple... Nostalgia.
The NES games I have no affinity towards.
Game.com might be funny to toss on there to see, but I've never played that version of MK.
UMK3 for Genesis hack... looks interesting... the Trilogy hack doesn't interest me.

As for War Gods... that game was awful. But WWF is one that I should add to the list.

[edit]
Oh wait... Time Killers was awful as well. Maybe I should put it on there.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 03:13:51 pm by DarakuTenshi »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2021, 03:44:33 pm »
There is a similar hack for the SNES UMK3 too. Time killers is bad but Id rather play it over War Gods or Tattoo Assassins (which also has the "MK layout"). Time killers didnt quite have the same layout, the head button was above the box but it's functionally the same.

You still have your Tenshi cab? I remember being a big fan of that build.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2021, 07:28:15 pm »
Yes, the button layout for Time Killers was odd, but then again so was MK when it first came out. I felt that since I was putting Blood Storm (which I love) in, I had to have Time Killers.
And Yes, I still have the Daraku Tenshi Cab.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2021, 09:37:01 pm »
[Update 9 - 8-19-2021]
Today was productive, I was able to get my bezel retainer and monitor all mounted.

I also got all of my artwork in the mail, so I was able to put together my marquee (no picture yet), as well as get my control panel ready to start doing some good game testing. I still need to pick up the plexiglass for the CP, so I can't go any further until I have that in hand. But along with that.

I was able to get my tinted plexiglass and bezel installed, as well as getting my control panel cut so that it will keep the plexiglass in place and to keep from tokens falling where they do not belong.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 09:24:43 pm by DarakuTenshi »

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2021, 07:58:12 pm »
Another update, finally getting to the nitty-gritty. I've been working on the programming of the Pi and working on the custom graphics. Aside from that the exterior is nearing the end as I've finally started painting.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2021, 08:34:00 pm »
Another update, finally getting to the nitty-gritty. I've been working on the programming of the Pi and working on the custom graphics. Aside from that the exterior is nearing the end as I've finally started painting.

Its really confusing to keep scrolling up to the first post for updates... I know that sounds weird. I'm just used to seeing the latest info in the latest posts.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2021, 09:21:56 pm »
That's why they are tagged in red and dated. I thought for new people coming in they would be able to follow it easier and wouldn't have to wade through all the extra comments to get there. I guess it didn't work as planned.

I guess it may work this way... putting it in the new comment and updating the above.

[Update 10 - 8-22-2021]
Over the past couple days I've been working on several things, I now have the control panel ready and have tested it, it works great and looks good.

I've sanded the exterior and now in this photo worked on plugging the holes and then more sanding.

And finally from today, starting to paint the cabinet and will have to do a bunch of wet sanding and a few more coats of paint. Not sure how long this process will be as I've never done this on such a large project before. I've done it on my smaller projects and even that took quite a bit of time. So... this may be an all week thing when I've got free time.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2021, 07:55:17 am »
I guess it may work this way... putting it in the new comment and updating the above.

Yeah doing both works too. You really nailed the look and shape of the Midway cab. How much closer are the buttons on your CP compared to the full sized machine? I can't really just the scale but they look the same (which is a great thing)

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2021, 02:42:33 pm »
The button layout is identical to the arcade, just the P1 and P2 had to be sandwiched closer to each other. It feels like it will still be usable, but I'll have to wait to see when I can stand in front of it with an adult.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2021, 08:05:53 pm »
[Update 11 - 8-29-2021]
Over the past week I have been working at painting and sanding, painting and sanding, painting and... you get the point.
The riser was started (it's even further along now, but I'm needing to still do the filling and painting before I post any more of that)

I pulled out my decals and decided to put those on. Also, because of the last-minute change that I made on the side of the control panel, the decals were too small for it. So I'll have to order new decals to fix that problem.

I spent all day Saturday working on the programming of the Pi. Most of my difficulties were in figuring out how to configure the inputs for all the different emulators. That is all worked out now and I've put quite a bit of time into my theme.

BeastlyBoy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2021, 08:13:44 pm
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2021, 06:41:21 am »
Love that Raiden artwork. Extremely cool.

bsdunix43

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2022, 02:01:15 am
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2021, 04:19:15 pm »
This build is amazing. I hope to get started on a very similar 3/4 scale MKII build. Would you be able to share the plans you used? Also did you use a Jig Saw to make most of your cuts?

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2021, 10:18:52 pm »
Unfortunately my plans got lost with an HDD crash, I have a rough sketch in the garage though. I only used a jigsaw for the angled and rounded cuts.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2021, 01:17:26 pm »
[Update 12 - 9-15-2021]
I have been down in Louisiana for the past two weeks, so needless to say, I've not been able to work on the cab. After getting back I started back up again and I have the riser mostly finished. Now that I have the exact dimensions (as I made changes to the riser as I got further along in the build). I will have to make and order my graphics for the riser. I was thinking of putting 3 different MK logos, one on each side and one on the front. But, I am rethinking that as I'd rather have an all-black front to the cab. So, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do as of yet. But, I certainly want something for the lower part of the cab.

I ordered my T-Molding yesterday and can't wait to get that put on the cab as that is basically the last thing I need to do on the outside. I still have cable management to deal with and wire connectors for my hidden buttons so I can do a quick disconnect when I disassemble the cab (for when I have to move it).

bsdunix43

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2022, 02:01:15 am
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2021, 03:16:49 pm »
What thickness of MDF did you use for this build? That finish on the riser looks great!

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2021, 10:35:50 pm »
I used both 3/4 and 1/2. Most of it is 3/4 except for parts for the control panel.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 10:40:26 pm by DarakuTenshi »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2021, 11:19:41 am »
Looking great! Is the plan for red t-molding?

I have a couple of those X-Arcade doors. I wish I sprung for the 2 coin model, but it's a great unit.

I like the control panel artwork. When I had my MKII cabinet, I had a street fighter layout, and that was a mistake. I did find some artwork with the lightning around a street fighter layout, but I should've done the traditional MK layout.

Good job.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2021, 05:10:09 pm »
Oh yes, red all the way.

Yeah, I had to re-create the control panel from scratch, so that took a bit of time. But I think it came out quite nice.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2021, 09:32:00 am »
[Update 13 - 9-20-2021]
It seems there was a hiccup on getting the rest of my decals, so for now I did what I could with the t-molding. Still waiting on my miles connectors and I have to take a trip to the local hardware store to pick up a couple more items (small details) to finish this thing off. Programming has been done (for the most part). There are a few more things that I would like to do with the OS, but they may or may not happen.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2021, 06:10:35 pm »
[Update 14 - 10-01-2021]
For the most part I am finished. I have a few minor things to do, the major one of the issues is to add a volume control outside of the cabinet and it will be done. I am quite happy with the final results, I may make a couple corrections on some things, but my guess is that it won’t matter. Way way here are the final shots.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
Re: [Finished] Mortal Kombat - 1up the 1up
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2021, 10:07:31 pm »
So what was the final game list?
I ask cause I see Gameboy Advance and GB Color in your front end :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:11:46 pm by Malenko »

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2021, 04:44:19 pm »
List of Games:
Arcade - MK, MKII, MK3, UMK3,
SNES - MK, MKII, MK3, UMK3
32X - MKII
Sega CD - MK
Gameboy - MK, MKII
Gameboy Color - MK4
GBA - Mortal Kombat Advance, Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition
Game Gear - MK, MKII
Master System - MK, MKII, MKIII
Dreamcast - MK4Gold

Additional Arcade: Time Killers, Blood Storm, WWF Wrestlemania

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2021, 05:42:38 pm »
Fantastic! Any chance you would share that MK artwork? I dread rebuilding mine if I ever have a MK cabinet to do.

DarakuTenshi

• Offline Offline
    • Card Fighters Project
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2021, 09:40:30 pm »
Yeah, I don't mind. I still have some tweeks I'd like to do, but it is simple things. When I get a chance I'm going to do a video of the cabinet.