Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering  (Read 4302 times)

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Magic: The Gathering
« on: September 04, 2019, 04:15:54 pm »
A few hurricanes ago I pulled my old collection of cards to teach my kids how to play while the power was out. With the free-to-play Magic Arena being so easy to get into, they picked it up pretty quick and now we're going to FNM booster drafts at least once a month.

I see a few old threads from people selling their collections, but is anybody else currently playing?

shponglefan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
Re: Magic: The Gathering
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 09:42:21 pm »
I've been playing both paper and MTG: Arena for the past year, although I recently quit Arena over the announcement of the doubling of the wildcard cost for historic cards.

Unfortunate, because the game was really fun, but I just don't trust WotC to not keep trying to screw over their customers.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 11:24:49 am by shponglefan »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 10:12:02 pm »
I started playing with Arabian Nights. 3rd revision was new but you could still buy beta and unlimited packs. I’ve had the whole power set and multiple full sets of dual ones. Sold it all after Chronicles because I thought wotc was going to screw me and rerelease classics. I found myself playing less and it made sense to quit.

I tried to play again a few years ago. Too hard to get back in. I didn’t know all the new capabilities.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 12:50:00 am »
Never played Magic. But I’m really into Card Fighter Clash on my Neo Geo Pocket Color, which I’m told has similar gameplay to Magic.

JMB

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 07:29:22 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 08:28:51 am »
I have never played online but I still play weekly. We have a group of 4-8 that typically plays on Wednesday nights. Just casual play at home. We have a blast. I have a ton of board games but Magic still gets the most play for me. Have done the occasional tournament or release event at a store but typically avoid that scene like the plague.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 11:17:53 am »
I got a ton of old cards. Between revised - 5th edition and stuff like Ice Age, Arabian nights, etc.  Are they really worth anything? Online price guides are pointing me to several cards I remember having being worth $40+, but i am very skeptical.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 12:10:37 pm »
I got a ton of old cards. Between revised - 5th edition and stuff like Ice Age, Arabian nights, etc.  Are they really worth anything? Online price guides are pointing me to several cards I remember having being worth $40+, but i am very skeptical.

I've found old sets have fluctuated wildly in value and a lot of older cards that used to be popular don't command nearly as high a price any more. On the other hand, there are cards with alleged market prices of hundreds to thousands of dollars.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 01:34:58 pm »
Thanks!  I'll take that as a "don't hold my breath" on prices I see online, but I might get a bite or two for some pocket cash if I am looking to sell and willing to point out my more "valuable" cards.

Never played Magic. But I’m really into Card Fighter Clash on my Neo Geo Pocket Color, which I’m told has similar gameplay to Magic.

I'll have to try that, thanks! If you are looking for another Magic-esque game to try, give Culdcept a shot. I have the 3DS one. The best way I can describe it is Magic played with a monopoly board. Instead of directly attacking with monsters and spells and such, you assign monsters to properties you land on. If someone else lands on your property, you can fight for the property with creatures in your hand. You win, you take over the property, you lose, you pay in Mana. AI can get plenty tough, so worth trying. Most other rules mimic magic pretty closely.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 09:10:17 am »
Thanks!  I'll take that as a "don't hold my breath" on prices I see online, but I might get a bite or two for some pocket cash if I am looking to sell and willing to point out my more "valuable" cards.

Our local game store buys cards at 40% of 'market value' for cash, and 60% for in-store credit. I found I had four "Force of Will" from back in the Alliance set which go for around $100, and they gave me $60 credit on the spot, so you might be able to do something similar.

I've been using an app on Android called "Delver Lens" which will scan cards and look up market value. Makes is really quick to ingest large numbers of cards pretty quickly. I scanned some 600 white cards in less than 20 minutes. I do find that it has trouble differentiating between Alpha, Beta, Revised, and Unlimited though, so sometimes it gives you wacky high numbers if it thinks it's an Alpha, but that's pretty quickly corrected.

My youngest daughter has had fantastic luck with booster packs lately and has kept a running credit balance at the store just by re-selling cards.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 09:52:22 am »
Been playing Hearthstone periodically for the last 4 or 5 years,  I hear that it is a lot like Magic. Honestly I think it is one of the best games ever made. Never have a seen a game with such ever changing possibilities, visual flare and personality than when playing Hearthstone.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:18:31 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 10:21:07 am »
My youngest daughter has had fantastic luck with booster packs lately and has kept a running credit balance at the store just by re-selling cards.

Lol.  Sounds like the baseball card days of the early 90s.  Enjoy that store while it lasts, at some point their payroll checks aren't gonna clear and the owner will finally look at his books.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 11:18:20 am »

Our local game store buys cards at 40% of 'market value' for cash, and 60% for in-store credit. I found I had four "Force of Will" from back in the Alliance set which go for around $100, and they gave me $60 credit on the spot, so you might be able to do something similar.

I've been using an app on Android called "Delver Lens" which will scan cards and look up market value. Makes is really quick to ingest large numbers of cards pretty quickly. I scanned some 600 white cards in less than 20 minutes. I do find that it has trouble differentiating between Alpha, Beta, Revised, and Unlimited though, so sometimes it gives you wacky high numbers if it thinks it's an Alpha, but that's pretty quickly corrected.

Really good to know! Thanks for the tips.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 11:43:58 am »

Lol.  Sounds like the baseball card days of the early 90s.  Enjoy that store while it lasts, at some point their payroll checks aren't gonna clear and the owner will finally look at his books.

Indeed! I had a discussion with the (new) owner about exactly that. Sounded like people were bringing in huge collections and ran the old incarnation of the store into the ground. Going forward the store credit can't be used to buy sealed products that themselves had resell value. But for my daughter buying a $4 pack of cards, selling a foil rare out of it for $5 and then using that to buy an ice cream cone, some soda, and a honeybun sounds like a killer deal.