Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question on Monitor Size, Bezel, and Adjusting Screen Size  (Read 2010 times)

sureshoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2019, 11:34:17 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Question on Monitor Size, Bezel, and Adjusting Screen Size
« on: September 03, 2019, 02:57:35 pm »
Hello - first post after some lurking.  I thought this was going to be trivial, but this has proven to flummox me. 

I'm building a cabinet from a kit and the pre-printed bezel is for a 32 inch monitor.  Horizontally, the actual screen size is about an inch smaller than the bezel - which is fine, there is a small black gap on each side.  Vertically, the opening in the bezel is about 1/2 an inch shorter than the monitor height.  As a result, the top of the monitor is cut off by the bezel.

I had assumed I could shrink the screen size to fit under the bezel, but my monitor apparently doesn't let me do that.  I thought everything would have V/H stretch or something (wrong!).  There doesn't seem to be anyway in Windows and all my searches just take me to setting resolution.

Is there an obvious solution I'm missing?

Worst case, I can live with it for a while and possibly have a new bezel printed customized to the monitor.  I'd rather not pay for that and take the darn thing apart...

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Question on Monitor Size, Bezel, and Adjusting Screen Size
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 03:22:43 am »
Without knowing what Graphics card and monitor you are using then the easiest solution I can think of is to setup stuff to run in a window sized to the visible screen area.

sureshoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2019, 11:34:17 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 01:18:35 pm »
I should have given hardware specifics, sorry! 
I have a Samsung UJ59 32".  It apparently doesn't let you change the screen size.
My test machine has an nVidia GTX 710 in it, which doesn't seem to let you do anything with Aspect Ratio.
Interestingly, my work laptop with integrated Intel graphics does let me do scaling (maybe I should use it) where I can basically squeeze the vertical.

I have my full MAME machine on the way, which has a Radeon GX 580 in it.  I'm hoping I'll get lucky with the AMD drivers.

I haven't tinkered with MAME, I didn't know if there's a way to adjust the size of its screen, or if Launchbox/other handled that.  Worst case, I can probably get a custom bezel printed. 

But, if anyone has a better idea, I'd appreciate it.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 04:45:43 pm »
If you have the Nvidia drivers installed and not the Microsoft Nvidia Drivers then you should have an option for desktop position and size within the nvidia control panel, I suppose it may only be available if you are connecting to a HDTV though although looking at the monitor you have it should be covered.