Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Are their any Tricks to get a Monitor to Treat 448 diffrently then 480?  (Read 1118 times)

Dracrius

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2019, 06:32:53 am
  • Proud Builder of a MAME Cabinet!
The title sums it up, my monitor is treating my 448 super res, 640x480 and my 480 super res all as the same thing when it comes to screen adjustments. So for instance after setting up my 448 games (all with 100% vertical size in my monitors OSD) 480 games are far to tall. I must reduce it to 85% vertical size. I also tried using the 448 setting and shrinking the 480 games with mame sliders but that distorts the image.

I'm trying to tune all my resolutions with my monitors OSD to fill the screen. I originally had misconception that arcade games originally displayed in the pixel aspect ratios they where made. I have since realized what may be obvious to most that cabinets didn't use specialty built monitors. Some even use the same tubes as consumer tvs so that means and people have said before that all arcade games were stretched to meet their 4:3 monitors despite original size (Battletoads is what made this blatantly obvious).

Unfortunately I have about  28 448 games and most of my favorites are in that list but the 15 480 games I have look terrible stretched that tall as you lose the top of Ninja Baseball Bat Man's  or Tetris for example.

Dracrius

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2019, 06:32:53 am
  • Proud Builder of a MAME Cabinet!
Re: Are their any Tricks to get a Monitor to Treat 448 diffrently then 480?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 06:55:43 pm »
Well I almost feel stupid unless someone can come up with a better way because I did figure something out. Since I only had 15 240p games I was trying to run at 480p I just rendered them all at 960p instead and made a 4x version of my PVM scanline overlay. Now I can keep independent heights for both 224p and 240p games by running 224p at 2x for 448p (automatically) and upping 240p to 4x for 960p (set with machinename.ini).

Other then having to add an ini for any new 240p or 480p games I can't think of any disadvantages. I figure a setup inconvenience is more worth it then a majority of my favorite games being 15% shorter then intended.