Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: OND's workshop - creating a workspace in the garage -FINISHED-  (Read 19961 times)

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
I don't know about you but I need a workspace which is comfortable and well setup to work on my projects.  I've had a few over the years. They are usually just a small area in my garage with a bench and a board for my tools.  The saying "a place for everything and everything in its place" is really relevant, especially when you find yourself hunting around for that drill bit, grinding wheel, sanding attachment, Dremel bit, screw driver, sharp blade....pencil, goddamit, where did I put that pencil??!  Even more so when you get older and more scatterbrained like me.  I want everything in easy reach, and well illuminated.  Looking for me?  This is where you can find me for a week or so before I get back to project progress.

Since this is necessary before I can get back to projects, I’ll post it up here!  I like seeing how BYOAC members have their workspace setup.  I’m sure some folks have very grand mancave/workshops.  Mine will be nothing special.  Many of my tools are cheap, though some are quality items where it counts.

The new place I’ve just moved into has a garage.  It’s a bit run down, a bit grotty, but it will do fine.  It has a roller door to the rear yard and even a window on one of the walls.  The glass in the window is cracked bit I’ll fix that.

There are no internal plaster walls (just brick) bah, not even a ceiling, just exposed rafters with a view to the roof.  So, I’ve set about creating a workspace.  It’s a good excuse to clean up my tools, organise my bench, sharpen blades and organise things how I like them.
Just for reference, this is the mess I started with:

After clearing away boxes and junk, I have a wall and some floor to work with:

Cheap structural pine makes some stud walls attached to the brickwork:

Next, the drywall and plaster work…
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 04:19:20 am by Ond »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: OND's workshop - creating a workspace in the garage
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 07:11:09 pm »
Subscribed!  I'll be in the exact situation very soon. 
Looking forward to seeing your set-up, as well as anyone else's that feels like sharing.
:cheers:

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 07:31:58 pm »
Pegboard, bro.  Floor to ceiling.  All walls.  Do it.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 09:16:09 pm »
Subscribed!  I'll be in the exact situation very soon. 
Looking forward to seeing your set-up, as well as anyone else's that feels like sharing.

Thanks opt, I’d be keen to see what you do with your workspace too, feel free to post any pics in this here thread.   :cheers:

Pegboard, bro.  Floor to ceiling.  All walls.  Do it.

Ha!  That really is the ultimate isn't it? Never mind if there's tools to fill it, it's the potential that matters.  Well Jim, I have this sticker that I think I'll fasten to my pegboard (meagre as it is) .  Totally in your honour of course.   :cheers: I have other BYOAC memorabilia that I'm displaying in my workspace, a shoebox is no place for these treasures.

Got the drywall sheets up with power point now fixed properly to the sheet using the mount plate attached to a stud.

It doesn't look that large in the picture but the wall space is about 3.6 meters or 12 feet wide.  Plenty of space for my bench, pegboard and other items.  I'm creating another desk space on the opposite side of the garage but I'll get to that later.

Next up is the drywall joining, patching and finishing.  I'll be using a ready to use joining compound, paper tape and applicator.

Alejo I

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:16:18 pm
  • Trying something new
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 04:32:32 am »
I looks like you are already well into it if you are putting up some drywall, but if you are looking for some ideas you can always check out I Like to Make Stuff's shop projects.

There are a bunch of woodworking/maker youtubers with some really nifty tutorials. I made a copy of his lumber cart for my father and it's fantastic.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 05:09:33 pm »
Drywall too eh?  Anything you can't do?

Looking forward to the progress, the forum's been too quiet without your posts.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 05:48:23 pm »
Looking forward to the progress, the forum's been too quiet without your posts.

Really?  The A1up cab shilling in the Main forum isn't enough action for you?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 06:04:16 pm »
Really?  The A1up cab shilling in the Main forum isn't enough action for you?

Damn was that this year?  :laugh2:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 06:16:36 pm »
No. He just tried to sneak one past the goalie recently.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 03:42:48 am »
@ Alejo I - thanks for the link, that lumber cart is a great idea!

@ Arroyo -  ;) like many things I know just enough to be dangerous!  My drywall skills leave much to be desired but meh, let's get it done, I want to be back at my workbench tinkering with stuff asap.

I got the jointing compound where it needs to be, applying it beneath and then over the jointing tape.

After letting that dry for a few days I applied the second batch of jointing compound to flush fill the drywall edge bevels.

While that's drying I'll attach some thin MDF to the ceiling joists to form a kind of ceiling just over the workspace area.  I’ll paint this with ceiling paint and then attach a lighting array to illuminate the space nice and evenly. 

I'm going to cover the workspace corner floor of the garage with marine carpet (yes it goes in boats).  I've used this a few times in various outdoor locations.  It's a really tough carpet which is rubber backed.  It doesn't get affected by moisture and is a much nicer surface to stand on than plain concrete, plus it looks way better.

Over the next few days I should have something a bit more interesting to show for my efforts.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 04:05:53 am »
Paint the wall:

Paint the pegboard:

My personal optimised pegboard layout.  The tools I use most are close at hand.  Without something to secure them, pegs will jump off the pegboard every time you lift a tool up.  I secure them once the layout is fixed with hot glue on the rear of each peg (at the back of the board).

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 11:57:41 am »
I've got a 3/4 chub right now, not gonna lie

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 02:58:23 am »
I've got a 3/4 chub right now, not gonna lie

:laugh: I consider that an official endorsement - certificate will be affixed accordingly. 

I'm chuffed to have met and to have spent some time with pbj at ZapCon this year.  The hooch he brought along was some zingy kickapoo joy juice.  The man has a dry wit and is good company. 

I got a few cool little items for Father's Day today for my workshop.  Pics of those and more progress sooon. 

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 02:27:31 am »
I'm close now to completing my workspace.  I got the carpet positioned and architrave in place.  I rebated the architrave so that it sits flush against the drywall and the stud frame.  I still have to paint it gloss white.

Here's how the space looks now with many of my tools and parts in place including the pegboard.  I use a Dremel tool quite often so that gets a peg. The flex extension for the Dremel is within easy reach.

My dog often keeps me company when I'm working on projects, despite him having an aversion to anything mechanised, which he regards as an evil menace that requires clamping his jaw around and chewing the living ---fudgesicle--- out of.  You can see, I still have to tidy up hanging cables with some clips, affix power boards to the wall etc.

Here's some useful little doohickies I got for Dad's day.  The illuminated magnifier with clips and a soldering stand is going to come in super handy.  I'm always trying to hold in place and solder fiddly and tiny things just with my hands.  Yes I get burnt regularly.  But no more!  The little vise is great for holding small parts.  I'll fit it somewhere on the edge of the bench.

Also for Dad's day I requested one of those clichéd retro style metal plaques that dudes put in their garages, you know the ones, with a scantily clad lady draped over a hot-rod or similar.  Strangely I never got my wish.....  Still, I have plenty of wall space for BYOAC related memorabilia. I'll frame up some pictures and other treasures from my travels in due course.

Certified by pbj.  :afro:

Still a few things to do:

•   Put in some ceiling panels with a lighting array of six or so LED globes.  I might build a custom diffused light fitting.  Good illumination is really important.  A single dim garage light is not going to cut it.
•   Install an LCD VESA monitor bracket with easy patch panel on the wall and maybe some radiating heaters for warmth.

Life is good with my workshop almost back again  :)

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 05:31:58 am »
Hey Ond

The workshop is looking good!  I am also converting my garage into a workshop and gameroom right now.  I've done the stud partition wall, back half to be gameroom/arcade, front half to be workshop.  I'd planned on latexing the floor of both rooms, then putting strong/industrial carpet tiles in the gameroom, but I'll look into marine carpet, that sounds interesting.  Can't help but think that would get a pain to clean/vaccum all the time though where it would be easier to just sweep up?

I like the peg board.  I'm at the point where I need to think about this now.  I'd originally though of doing a french cleat system on the stud wall... but peg board looks easier - except what if/when you buy new tools?  Can you do some closeups on the pegs?  Looks like you have different ones for different tools?  Which ones did you use?

Looking good... I can't wait to get back into doing stuff, like you... but gotta get the workshop done first - I have NO space until that's finished!

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 03:48:37 am »
Hey Jimbo! Sounds pretty cool having a game room AND a workshop.  When you make progress let's see it!

Not having a workshop for a while was really starting to get to me.  Ultimately, time I spend out there is a kind of therapy/relaxation/meditation stress solution.  About 80% of my time there is spent on arcade related projects, but I do work on other things as well.  I'm like Linus on washday without his blanket when I don't have a workshop.

The marine carpet is great stuff.  I'm happy to vacuum it instead of sweeping cold hard concrete any day. 

So let's do this, let's look more closely at da peg board und da pegs.  Firstly a peg board, once setup, is really easy to use.  Where I am, hardware shops stock all manner of pegs for every type of tool, even larger heavier ones.  The peg board itself is just a sheet of painted Masonite.  It needs a supporting frame to give it strength and to provide a gap between it and the wall for pegs.

I used some spare hardwood battens that I cut to size and divided the rear of the board into four quarters with a frame.  That allows me to fix it through the drywall to wall studs at five points, four corners and the center.  With all the tools on, it is quite heavy, so it needs to be properly fixed to something sturdy.

There's all kinds of pegs.  Here's an assortment of spares I have.  As I said earlier, they work much better if they are fixed into place on the rear of the board with something like hot glue.  This doesn't mean you can't add more tools later.  I just apply a dob of hot glue to a new peg before adding it to the board.  Hot glued pegs are easy to remove again if need be.  They just don't fall out when moving tools on and off the board.

Some examples of different pegs and tools.

Today I found this cute little baby hammer.  Handy for delicate hammering jobs, tiny nails - whatever.  So I added it to the board in the way I mentioned.

Today I spent time clearing more boxes and junk out of the garage.  I'm getting ready for the second work zone which is under a window in the garage. Tomorrow I'll work on the lighting fixture and some power cabling.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:59:05 am by Ond »

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 05:03:50 am »
Hey Ond, that looks great - and thanks for going into detail with the peg board.  I think I'll go this route too, I'll check the local hardware stores for their peg assortments ;). French cleat system sounds great but seems a lot more work for the same result.

With the carpet - how would you deal with liquid spills on it?  And what about spray painting - or is the plan to cover the floor or do that in a different area?

I'm currently building my (mobile) workbench.  Yes - I'll post a thread soon to show off my shoddy work, haha.

Looking forward to seeing this progress  :cheers:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 05:50:22 am »
I am glad you have a work space again Ond. I would lose my mind if I lost my work dungeon.

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:36:14 am
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 02:50:24 pm »
Inspired. Oh, and jealous.
Project mega thread HERE

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 08:26:06 pm »
Hey Ond, that looks great - and thanks for going into detail with the peg board.  I think I'll go this route too, I'll check the local hardware stores for their peg assortments ;). French cleat system sounds great but seems a lot more work for the same result.

Most of the big pegboard sets come with small diameter stuff that is meant to work in 1/8" OR 1/4"
The small diameter means it falls out of the pegboard easily unless a plastic retainer is used (or it is hot glued as I just learned from Ond).
Unfortunately, you are pretty much stuck with those for the screwdriver and pliers holders.

Where possible, use the bigger 1/4" stuff.  It fits snug and doesn't fall out.  When I outfitted mine a couple years ago, Walmart had enough of a variety to get by for a decent price.
The long shelf ones are good for holding trigger style clamps, alternating direction to fit more.

This thing turned out to be pretty sweet, although the pencil sharpener broke fairly quickly and I replaced it with a titanium one.
https://smile.amazon.com/Lehigh-PBTMP-Measure-Pencil-Holder/dp/B0044FQOAW/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=pegboard+pencil+sharpener&qid=1567728945&s=gateway&sr=8-3

EDIT: Ond, I've been following.  Shop looks great!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 08:29:58 pm »
...everyone with pegboard also needs this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:872876  ;D
(X-acto knife holder)

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 04:41:57 am »

With the carpet - how would you deal with liquid spills on it?  And what about spray painting - or is the plan to cover the floor or do that in a different area?

I'm currently building my (mobile) workbench.  Yes - I'll post a thread soon to show off my shoddy work, haha.

Looking forward to seeing this progress  :cheers:

If I'm working with liquids I'll generally move off the carpeted area and onto bare concrete.  The carpet covers about a third of the double garage.  I'm not precious about it though, I expect to get the occasional spills and stains.  As to spray painting, if it's a small job I just lay down a ground sheet.  For larger jobs like an entire cabinet or where I really want to minimise dust, I use a large old nylon tent.  I literally pitch it in the garage and use it as a spray booth.  When I do use my spray booth tent, I'll take some pics to show that setup.  It's a lot easier than hanging plastic sheets and all that.

For sure, post up your workshop progress.  I'm always picking up tips and learning something from other peoples approach to their workspace.

I am glad you have a work space again Ond. I would lose my mind if I lost my work dungeon.

Thanks Mike, I got some good motivation from the pics I saw of your 'dungeon'.  I'd like to see more of other member’s workshops and how they personalise them.  :cheers:

Inspired. Oh, and jealous.

Pixelhugger!  Man, I’m chuffed to see you are still checking in on BYOAC!  Honestly, I'm enjoying getting setup (yet again) and getting back into project builds.  It’s great that my efforts have inspired you  ;D.   Would that be along the lines of something for your own workshop?   :cheers:

@ Badmouth – Ahh thanks for the info, yeah I suspected there had to be pegboard parts that actually fit.  That X-acto knife holder is bloody excellent mate!  I'm going to get me one.   :cheers:

Here are a few more additions for those following along.  Having a monitor in the workshop in this hobby is really handy.  Not just for keeping an eye on you guys, but also for bench testing setups or learning stuff from Youtube.  I wanted a wall bracket that I could move the monitor around on.  Also I didn't want to have to keep reaching up behind the monitor to plug in different video cables when I switch between PC's etc.  A wall mounted video socket would make life easier:

Attaching the bracket using a plum line for reference.

Cabling added, wall mounted socket for video feed.

The monitor is up off the bench and out of the way but easy to see when I need it.  It can be tilted or moved to different positions.

Here I’m constructing a multi globe light fitting to go above the bench.  I've used a scrap piece of architrave for the base of the lamp holder.

I chamfered the edges of the base to 45 degrees and then attached MDF panels to form the rest of the light fitting.  I used nails, wood glue, aluminium strip, rivets and screws.  The design I made up as I went along.

Undercoating the light fitting:

I'm using 6 identical 900 lumen (warm) LED globes in the fitting. I'll attach the lighting battens and wire these tomorrow when a coat of white ceiling paint on the fitting has dried.

Next up …. Ceiling panels, final wall trims and a second work zone/desk area.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 04:44:52 am by Ond »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2019, 07:35:35 am »
Wow that’s super clean.  If you saw my work space you’d be on the floor rolling.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2019, 02:45:33 pm »
Pixelhugger!  Man, I’m chuffed to see you are still checking in on BYOAC!  Honestly, I'm enjoying getting setup (yet again) and getting back into project builds.  It’s great that my efforts have inspired you  ;D.   Would that be along the lines of something for your own workshop?   :cheers:

Definitely along the lines, if not squarely in the crosshairs. I'm planning on lining the entire shop wall above the workbench with peg board. My ADD addled brain can't be relied on to use drawers effectively. Or at all.
Project mega thread HERE

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 06:16:51 pm »
Bad mouth just reminded me of 3D printing and posted the good ol exacto holder, I am going to repost my stuff on pegboards from an old 3d printing thread 2 years ago for anyone interested.  :cheers:

Speaking of pegboard, lots of benefits to 3d printing your pegboard stuff for the shop/garage.

I found the parametric pegboard tool to be very very helpful, especially when dealing with my special sized stuff.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:537516

And for pegboard, if you have those hooks that just slip down, these clips are a MUST. I will not go back to hanging hooks without em.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:559094

I also use epoxy all the time, so I made disposable mini pallet knives for small epoxy jobs, since they only give you one mini popsicle stick with each package of epoxy. They work great and hang on pegboard. I attached the STL.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 06:22:29 pm »
This thread delivers!   Great info and examples here.   I've got half a 2-car garage to work with now, so I'm getting some good ideas on how to outfit my space.  Thank you!  :cheers:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2019, 06:26:27 pm »
Brother, I bet you are chomping at the bit to get going on your new space!  :cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2019, 06:39:38 pm »
Brother, I bet you are chomping at the bit to get going on your new space!  :cheers:
You got it!  It's been many years since I've built or restored any cabinets, so I'm looking forward to getting back in the game.  I've got at least 2 projects I'm planning, one restoration (my Robotron cabaret), one scratch build (Alpha One). But I also have a secret project I'll reveal later that is a bit funky and unorthodox. We'll see if I can pull it off. ;)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2019, 08:38:30 pm »
An actual tent in the garage for painting. My mind has been blown

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 04:16:07 am »
If I'm working with liquids I'll generally move off the carpeted area and onto bare concrete.  The carpet covers about a third of the double garage.  I'm not precious about it though, I expect to get the occasional spills and stains.  As to spray painting, if it's a small job I just lay down a ground sheet.  For larger jobs like an entire cabinet or where I really want to minimise dust, I use a large old nylon tent.  I literally pitch it in the garage and use it as a spray booth.  When I do use my spray booth tent, I'll take some pics to show that setup.  It's a lot easier than hanging plastic sheets and all that.

Ah, you have more room than I thought :D   I'm limited in space in my garage, so no carpet, but I may level the floor up with latex.  Great idea to use a tent for spraying.  I'm looking forward to seeing the pics on that.  My workbench is on wheels, so I could potentially have the space to do that if/when I need to.  I'm especially interested in seeing how you support the pieces you are spraying.

For sure, post up your workshop progress.  I'm always picking up tips and learning something from other peoples approach to their workspace.

"Shame! shame! shame!"... I actually have my progress documented over at the ukvac forum (I'm a regular on there, being from the UK and having started to collect original machines - and the gameroom/workshop is mostly for those restoring/playing those originals).  I'm not sure I can deal with posting the full progress in two places, but I could post the more interesting bits here on BYOAC and of course answer any questions.  I can post a link to my ukvac thread if anyone is interested.

Speaking of pegboard, lots of benefits to 3d printing your pegboard stuff for the shop/garage.

I found the parametric pegboard tool to be very very helpful, especially when dealing with my special sized stuff.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:537516

Ooooooohhh.... that is very very cool - thank you!  I have a friend with a 3D printer... Step 1: find all tools from around the house.  Step 2: tell the wife she's not allowed to touch them.  Step 3:  Figure out where to put them on the board and print a load of custom holders!

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 11:31:08 am »
Great work there OND (as is expected from you.) Come on over to my place, I have a 12 foot by 16 foot shed I use for a shop and it could use your expertise.
My shed has 2X4 studs for walls, exposed inside and covered outside with sheet metal siding. I was thinking on insulating it then covering with plywood and making a french cleat storage system. But this is going to be expensive compared to peg board and sheetrock, however with my sheetrock skills, it would probably be a lot simpler and easier with the plywood.
I got the idea of the french cleat storage system from a magazine I subscribe to, "Family Handyman".
Here is a link to that project, if anyone is interested. I suggest you browse the site, it has a lot of excellent ideas for home and shop.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/workshop/workshop-storage/how-to-build-a-french-cleat-tool-storage-wall/

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 11:53:40 am »
Why not mount the pegboard directly to the 2x4 studs?  Shove some insulation behind it.  I'm not seeing the purpose of sheetrock in a shed...

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 04:29:58 pm »
Hey thanks DaOld Man!  In your case the French cleat system might be a better solution.  My main reason for using sheetrock is because I'm using it for more than just the pegboard.  With some minimal effort it looks better with paint than plywood does.  With a shed like you describe I'd fill the studs with insulation and attach plywood/French cleat board as shown in the link you provided.  It looks really nice.  It's a bit more woodwork but suits a shed really well.

A head cold has slowed me a little (but only a little).  I'm so keen to progress this project I forgot about staying warm enough!  :embarassed:

I gotta say, I love the idea of the 3D printed pegboard parts, that's just brilliant.  I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to 3D printers and fabricating fine quality objects but in this case its genius.

Off the shelf (bought) light fittings similar to the one I've built are ridiculously expensive.  I just can't justify ~ $150+ for such a thing. Here's the light fitting I completed for the shop.   All up, around $40 for electrical parts, the rest I had lying around.  It's already mounted on my new ceiling panel but I haven't taken pics of that yet.

I covered the rear electrical cabling with some cut down PVC pipe, painted the same as the fitting.

Some strong eyehooks attached to the fitting make it easy to suspend from the ceiling.

A test power on.  Camera exposure compensation doesn’t do it justice.  At over 5000 Lumens, it's a powerfully bright and even light.  LED globes are cheap to run.  I've been using it for the last few days.  A strip light like this greatly reduces shadows at your bench.  It's just much more pleasant working on anything with good illumination.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2019, 07:43:57 pm »
Brilliant ideas here.  I'm taking notes!

We took possession of our house this month, and this is the garage I have to work with.

The previous owner was a handy man of some sorts, so he already has a tool wall and work table set up.  The shelving is there, but some of the shelves need to be replaced since they're sagging. 
Decent lighting is set up, and it looks like the power has been worked out with a proper breaker and distribution.

I'm thinking about dry-walling the garage, replacing some of the shelving with cupboards, and adding a bit more work table space. Primarily for electrical work.

This thread is giving me some good ideas for moving forward.  Thanks Ond!  :cheers:

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2019, 12:48:39 pm »
When I built my shop - I used T1-11 Paneling for the walls - way more expensive than drywall.

But... I can put a screw or nail anywhere and it holds.
I painted it - and its good about not holding dust.

Nice stuff
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Plytanium-Plywood-Siding-Panel-T1-11-8-IN-OC-Nominal-19-32-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-0-563-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-113699/100000016
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2019, 04:55:15 pm »
No idea if this stuff is legal in Australia, but I'm a big believer in the bifen insecticide these days.  2oz per gallon (eh... 60ml per 3ish liters?).  Before you put up all that pegboard, coat the inside of the garage floor to ceiling, especially concentrate on the gaps.  Rain will wash it away but I think you'll have enough residue around to be effective for years.  This stuff has made my house and garage bug free.  I went through 5 gallons treating a 2,600 sqft house and I went heavy.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2019, 06:50:22 am »
@opt2not - Congrats on the new place!  There's plenty of potential in that garage.  It will be interesting to see what existing stuff you make use of and what you create new in your workspace.  Great that you are finding my approach of some use.   :cheers:

@bperkins01 - That panelling has a nice cut siding look to it.

@pbj - That's a really valid point about pre-emptive bug treatment.  We do use something similar here called perimeter surface spray which comes in a big industrial pump pack and gives between 6 months to a year of bug free bliss.

I'm getting close to finishing my work area to the point I can return to projects.  Here's some pics of the last few stages. 

Ceiling panels, this is just thin MDF tacked to the roofing beams.  The panels are joined with picture framers tape.  The tape is applied a bit like wallpaper.  Soak it, slide it on and let it dry.  It bonds really well and pulls the joins together as it dries and shrinks slightly.  It's a very lightweight solution, easy to construct.

After the ceiling was painted I glued cornice into the ceiling/wall.  Tacked nails hold the cornice in place while the glue dries.  These are removed once the glue is dry and holes filled over.

Here are some blueprints of my arcade designs framed up and mounted on the wall next to the pegboard for some decoration.  These remind me of what it is I'm supposed to be getting on with!

This is the main workspace just about done.  A few more pictures and trinkets for decoration and I'm GO for Launch.  ;D

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2019, 07:05:10 am »
I love building workshops...  and watching them come to life  :applaud:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2019, 10:59:31 am »
Those blue prints are awesome, and they remind me of the anticipation I had for your posts.  Back to work you

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2019, 04:17:36 am »
I love building workshops...  and watching them come to life  :applaud:

Me too!  I'm not just looking at peoples projects, I'm snooping in their workshops  ;).

Those blue prints are awesome, and they remind me of the anticipation I had for your posts.  Back to work you

Thanks, it's nice to look up from the bench and see my dreams up there.  Heh, I got project updates comin that'll make ya drool harder than a baby chewing sour worms  :lol.

I'm calling this workshop project finished.  A few final finishing touches.  You can see edging I applied to the ceiling panels and final coats of paint.  This is as clean and tidy as this is ever going to look.  I'll make an almighty mess of it soon enough.

An old car sound system I had boxed up makes a handy music player/amp.  I plug my phone in at the Aux port. 

The unit is powered by this battery.  The battery has a solar panel attached to keep it charged.  It's a clean hi current (low voltage) power source.

Connected to these bookshelf speakers.

I've met all my original requirements for my workshop including a secondary workzone/desk area and fridge.

This sign is accurate.  There is no room in the house for anything I make here.  It stays in the garage  ;D.

I've sure had some good times with folk from BYOAC.  Here's my reminder.  Are YOU in the pic? 

BYOAC arcade tokens.  Pixelhugger had much to do with these including many of the designs.  There's a space for tokens I believe are in the mail.  I'm proud to have an actual piece of Mission Control on my wall in its rightful place.  It's my nod to some serious inspiration and an artist.  :notworthy:

Well, that's it.  I've enjoyed turning a bare brick wall and some stained concrete into a place to zone out.  Time for some of you guys to share your workspaces.  let's see em!   :cheers:

Alejo I

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:16:18 pm
  • Trying something new
Re: OND's workshop - creating a workspace in the garage -FINISHED-
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2019, 06:16:52 am »
A normal person would have bought a Bluetooth speaker and call it a day, but I guess Ond gotta finesse on us like that.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2019, 06:29:07 am »
I will see if I can track those tokens. The receipt from USPS said they don't have tracking capability in Australia. I don't know how long it takes for a package to get there.

The work space looks great.

Ond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2019, 04:50:32 am »
A normal person would have bought a Bluetooth speaker and call it a day, but I guess Ond gotta finesse on us like that.

Heh, well I have one those Bluetooth speakers but it's a really cheap one.  Sound quality is pretty ordinary.  The car sound system has a fairly grunty 50w x 4 channels so it seemed like a good choice.

I will see if I can track those tokens. The receipt from USPS said they don't have tracking capability in Australia. I don't know how long it takes for a package to get there.

The work space looks great.

No need to check Mike, they are here!

I'm really pleased with them, thanks for sending them. They will see use in my own machines for sure. Here they are completing my collection.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2019, 07:09:05 pm »
DAMN! I'm honored and jealous at the same time. That is awesome!  :cheers:
Project mega thread HERE

Cornchip

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2023, 10:23:11 am
  • Thinking up more crap....
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2019, 11:07:35 pm »
 It's been years since I've been back here at BYOAC. And 'boom', I see a picture with a Mission Control part I made years ago. Amazing.   :)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2020, 07:29:29 pm »
So.. this might be a side project for me this upcoming year.  Only problem is that I need a garage slab.  I have a detached one car garage that has asphalt for a floor.  It's a mess - completely coming apart.  Anyone know how much a garage slab would cost?  Once I get that the rest isn't too bad - the garage was renovated in 2013. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2020, 02:05:27 pm »
So.. this might be a side project for me this upcoming year.  Only problem is that I need a garage slab.  I have a detached one car garage that has asphalt for a floor.  It's a mess - completely coming apart.  Anyone know how much a garage slab would cost?  Once I get that the rest isn't too bad - the garage was renovated in 2013.

Well, I have my answer.  New driveway and garage slab are being quoted at roughly $8,000.  Ugh.  I have another guy coming out this week. 

What should I be asking for in terms of the garage floor?  I want it to be super smooth so I can sweep out sawdust and stuff.  Poured concrete is very rough.  Is there a top coat/sealant that I need to ask for?   :cheers:

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2020, 02:13:44 pm »
They make a newer concrete that has fiberglass in it.. they can get it pretty smooth..  They don't even reinforce it with metal anymore because the glass is stronger and doesn't rust.   I was going to seal mine..  but after they did it.. it wasn't worth the cost.. 
They can do a really nice job making it smooth/flat..

One thing to consider..  Garage floors typically have a slope to let water runoff (I forget how much... but front to back its a couple inches)
When I had my *garage* built - it was never going to be a garage for cars - it was always going to be shop space. (if we moved - then the next person could make it into a car garage)

I had my floor poured LEVEL..  You have to be very specific with them if you go this way.. or they will slope it..  Level is better for shop space..

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2020, 11:45:10 am »
They make a newer concrete that has fiberglass in it.. they can get it pretty smooth..  They don't even reinforce it with metal anymore because the glass is stronger and doesn't rust.   I was going to seal mine..  but after they did it.. it wasn't worth the cost.. 
They can do a really nice job making it smooth/flat..

One thing to consider..  Garage floors typically have a slope to let water runoff (I forget how much... but front to back its a couple inches)
When I had my *garage* built - it was never going to be a garage for cars - it was always going to be shop space. (if we moved - then the next person could make it into a car garage)

I had my floor poured LEVEL..  You have to be very specific with them if you go this way.. or they will slope it..  Level is better for shop space..

Thanks for the tips.  I will definitely ask for a level pour and the fiberglas concrete.  There is no realistic way to even fit a car in my garage.  It is detached and it is one bay and the only place to store the lawnmower, snowblower, etc.  Sheds are not allowed.  So this will be 1/2 shop and 1/2 storage and never ever for a car.

Also, when we first moved in we tried using it as a garage and our old Camry (the most generic car ever) only left a couple of inches to spare in the front and back of the car (we put down a piece of wood for the front tires to hit) and you couldn't open the doors all the way to get in and out.  My house is so old (100 years) so maybe this is where they used to keep the horses hahaha

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2020, 12:00:08 pm »
There is no realistic way to even fit a car in my garage.

Sure there isn’t