Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: anyone use a raspberry pi in a cocktail table  (Read 10195 times)

mebronx2000

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2023, 02:39:34 pm
anyone use a raspberry pi in a cocktail table
« on: August 20, 2019, 10:39:23 pm »
i have a cocktail table that i want to use with a raspberry pi has anyone ever made one with a pi? thanks

bschonec

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2020, 12:46:16 pm
Re: anyone use a raspberry pi in a cocktail table
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 04:46:07 pm »
Strange you should ask!  I'm retrofitting two cocktail MAME cabinets to Raspberry Pi this week.  Currently, there's an Intel motherboard running Windows XP.  I plan to buy a RPi with built-in wireless so that I can access it from my home network.

I'll keep you updated on my progress..

mebronx2000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2023, 02:39:34 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 05:30:42 pm »
Strange you should ask!  I'm retrofitting two cocktail MAME cabinets to Raspberry Pi this week.  Currently, there's an Intel motherboard running Windows XP.  I plan to buy a RPi with built-in wireless so that I can access it from my home network.

I'll keep you updated on my progress..
great will love to see how it come out! thanks

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 01:01:09 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 01:00:43 pm »
I recently bought a real nice super cobra cocktail game and it was in mint condition, i striped everything off and turned it into a retropie cab, i used "SOME"   :laugh2:  cocktail image, and added a few games, the only down size its that shmups games most of them dont rotate, but besides that i had to manually change the cabinet setting to cocktail instead of upright on the games that had that option, my wife helped me so it only took a couple of hours. after that i sold the game and dumb me didnt made a backup of the sd, so next time ima have to do the same over again LOL but it turned out nice, and cant tell you where to get the image from because mods delete my post, (whatever) , but a simple google find would help.
thanks admin for deleting my post due to rule number 5, whatever....  :laugh2:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:47:19 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 01:10:42 pm »
You stripped a mint condition cab? I hope I read that wrong.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 05:03:25 pm »
I recently bought a real nice super cobra cocktail game and it was in mint condition, i striped everything off and turned it into a retropie cab, i used "SOME"   :laugh2:  cocktail image, and added a few games, the only down size its that shmups games most of them dont rotate, but besides that i had to manually change the cabinet setting to cocktail instead of upright on the games that had that option, my wife helped me so it only took a couple of hours. after that i sold the game and dumb me didnt made a backup of the sd, so next time ima have to do the same over again LOL but it turned out nice, and cant tell you where to get the image from because mods delete my post, (whatever) , but a simple google find would help.
thanks admin for deleting my post due to rule number 5, whatever....  :laugh2:

Why would you strip a mint cab?

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 05:16:44 pm »
because thats what the customer wanted. So i do what the customer wants.I dont think this cabs are the 8th wonder of the world, they are nice but a pain in the neck to play with.  :cheers: And i think it gives more joy to the newest generations that are discovering retro games. Keep it in the same condition just to show up, it does not make any sense to me. A super cobra, for real? i didnt even heard of the game ti i found it.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 06:01:18 pm »
You suck. Stop wrecking original cabs to make a buck. There are several places that sell flat pack cocktail kits. Put your ---smurfy--- Raspberry Pi in one of those.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 07:29:25 pm »
You are free to think whatever you want, but my thinking is, we (the old guys) have this joy of the arcades of at least that we where there at the good times  there live, and one of the reasons this still alive its due to mame and theyr great work. Now I dont gut cab for a buck and i dont live out of mame or anything like that. That being said, if a customer comes to me with a mint cabinet and he wants me to do whatever he wants me to do, ill just do it, why?Because having a mint supercobra cocktail in his garage, wont do him any good, i could just cleaned up and fire up but it was going to be just a super cobra game in mint condition . Now with the mods i  made, he not only has a better game table, that looks still mint and more modernt ( with the leds controls)  and has more games in it, (Thanks to mame) and now, hes kids will enjoy more games than a super cobra boring game, i hope once the owner is gone (dead) hes kids will remember the time they played with their father on that cool multigame he had, instead of , lest just get rid of that old table thats on my dads garage. For me its all of matter of prospective, i dont believe anyone can make a living of Of mame what i do Is more than that i give life to death cabinets. Now if it where mine, i would probably have convert it in a ms pacman cocktail. But it wanst mine. Pardon my terrible grammar. English not my first lenguage.

You suck. Stop wrecking original cabs to make a buck. There are several places that sell flat pack cocktail kits. Put your ---smurfy--- Raspberry Pi in one of those.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 07:33:46 pm »
Your opinion is terrible and you are a bad person.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 07:46:30 pm »
 :cheers:
:cheers: chill mate.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 07:48:14 pm »
Ok ill give you a shot, i understand what i did wrong, tell me, what would you do? and why? for what purpose? i would like to understand.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 08:01:27 pm »
First of all I would buy that cab from him.
I would never butcher a mint condition cab to convert it into a ---smurfy--- multicab with stupid Blinky lights.
I would tell the customer that I would be happy to assemble a flat pack cocktail cab for him.
These games are irreplaceable. Once you hack them all up they are gone forever.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:54 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 08:50:20 pm »
Did you leave the CRT in place, and is all of the original wiring still in tact?  That would make this not as bad, but yeah in general this stuff is becoming rarer and rarer.  So if anything, you could justify leaving it in tact to preserve the value that these will continue to have over time.  Hell people are paying $400 on E-Bay for a good CRT.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 09:05:20 pm »
First of all I would buy that cab from him.
I would never butcher a mint condition cab to convert it into a ---smurfy--- multicab with stupid Blinky lights.
I would tell the customer that I would be happy to assemble a flat pack cocktail cab for him.
These games are irreplaceable. Once you hack them all up they are gone forever.
Yeah i understand that, but whats the purpose on that? the game its just chilling on agarage collecting dust, now its giving joy, as the joy i use to have everytime i went to the arcade, for me, thats better.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 09:07:35 pm »
Did you leave the CRT in place, and is all of the original wiring still in tact?  That would make this not as bad, but yeah in general this stuff is becoming rarer and rarer.  So if anything, you could justify leaving it in tact to preserve the value that these will continue to have over time.  Hell people are paying $400 on E-Bay for a good CRT.
Again ill rather see kids playing with them that having them in the garage for years. I took the crt out and keep it for me, but tbh, crt here are around 20dlls for a 25 or 29 inch, this 19 inch are 5 dlls, the smallers are more rare than the big ones.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 09:11:01 pm »
You are not getting it. It could be sold to someone that appreciates history. We are not talking about a trashed cab. You said this was mint.

This is all I will say about it. I care about this stuff. I can't stop you from hacking apart history, but I don't have to like it.

It is so cheap and easy to build a flat pack cocktail cab. There is no excuse to defile a good cab.

Please consider what I have said. I apologize for calling you a bad person. You just don't understand the impact of what you are doing.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:54 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 09:11:11 pm »
Ouch. That. Hurts.

I probably shouldn’t ask questions when I know I won’t like the answer.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2019, 09:27:22 pm »
You are not getting it. It could be sold to someone that appreciates history. We are not talking about a trashed cab. You said this was mint.

This is all I will say about it. I care about this stuff. I can't stop you from hacking apart history, but I don't have to like it.

It is so cheap and easy to build a flat pack cocktail cab. There is no excuse to defile a good cab.

Please consider what I have said. I apologize for calling you a bad person. You just don't understand the impact of what you are doing.
I do get your point as well, but i dont think its important, but next time before doing that, i will try to place the cab with a better person, someone that apreciates the game better if i can. Thanks for taking the time to explain yourself, apologise acepted.

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2019, 09:29:37 pm »
Aight

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 02:18:49 pm »
because thats what the customer wanted. So i do what the customer wants.I dont think this cabs are the 8th wonder of the world, they are nice but a pain in the neck to play with.  :cheers: And i think it gives more joy to the newest generations that are discovering retro games. Keep it in the same condition just to show up, it does not make any sense to me. A super cobra, for real? i didnt even heard of the game ti i found it.

Well ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. I should start charging for advice to people on a forum for advice to charge others. - piece out -

daywane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 07:18:07 am
  • GRRRR!
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 08:25:41 am »
OMG. Even back in the old days of arcades the arcade shops swapped out boards and art. i for one think modding any cab is fine.
if you think it is so bad go and snag up all you can and start a museum of your own.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 08:39:26 am »
He took a mint cab and turned it into a multishit.

You have no appreciation for history.

People like you are a cancer on society.

You obviously haven't seen my home arcade pics. I am doing exactly what you suggested.

I just spent the whole weekend with Arroyo fixing classic cabs. Then I open my home to people every month so they cab relive a little piece of history.

Go suck an egg Daywane.

daywane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 07:18:07 am
  • GRRRR!
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2019, 08:54:24 am »
lol  :laugh2:

abispac

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2019, 12:04:18 am »
OMG. Even back in the old days of arcades the arcade shops swapped out boards and art. i for one think modding any cab is fine.
if you think it is so bad go and snag up all you can and start a museum of your own.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2019, 01:07:15 am »
Don't discount conversions as mistreating cabinets. Conversions were designed generally to have the minimum impact on the cabinet as possible and keep the machine relevant with a new game that people would still play. It was, in essence, designed to keep cabinets out of the dumpster and remain in the circuit. The kits were built to keep the wiring, monitor, often the controls and usually PRESERVED the art.

I have, in my past, mamed a good arcade cabinet for my own use because at the time it is what I wanted. I was broke and new to the hobby and it was the only solution I thought I needed, but even then I had the sense and decency to not butcher the cabinet. I built an entirely new control panel and tucked the original inside the cabinet. Rather than damaging the wiring, I built a JAMMA insert so I could just plug and play into everything original, and didn't make a single splice. 

A couple years later my passion grew with the hobby, and I revisited that cabinet. It was no effort to completely revert it back, and I am thankful. Turns out, that cabinet ended up being the 40th cabinet of the entire line built. I didn't realize that until I dug in and researched the serial number, and I am thankful I kept it all together. I have a treasure, something I never saw when I was a broke college kid who wanted a cool mame cab to help build my cred at throwing a good house party.

My point is, even though you might be giving somebody a short term gain by getting a cabinet to play with, you don't know what that cabinet will live through 10-15 years from now. Maybe somebody who played on a super cobra as a kid will have the opportunity to not only get some of their fondest memories brought back to life, but share it with people around him. That door is now shut.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 01:18:19 am by Vigo »