Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Buttons  (Read 2103 times)

Arcade1980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2020, 02:05:03 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Arcade Buttons
« on: August 20, 2019, 10:16:32 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm using HAPP buttons, but I'm finding them not as responsive as I would like.  For example, when playing games like Galaga, I'm wondering if using other types of buttons would make a better game experience for such games?

Thank you

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Arcade Buttons
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 11:24:13 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm using HAPP buttons, but I'm finding them not as responsive as I would like.  For example, when playing games like Galaga, I'm wondering if using other types of buttons would make a better game experience for such games?

Thank you

You want leaf switch buttons. Check out GroovyGameGear.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 01:06:39 am »
Hi everyone,

Thank you

I just saw they’ll probably be closed until September. Shop around or just be patient.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 03:09:59 am »
Yup leaf switches for shooters.

Arcade1980

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 09:20:47 am »
Thanks for the tips!   Do I just then replace the stock switches that came with the HAPP buttons with the switches, or do you think I need new buttons?

Sorry for the newbie questions ;)

Hi everyone,

Thank you

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 09:32:43 am »
Thanks for the tips!   Do I just then replace the stock switches that came with the HAPP buttons with the switches, or do you think I need new buttons?

Hi everyone,

Thank you

I’ve used these with standard Happs and have been very satisfied with them...

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/electrical/components/microswitches/rollie/36_rollie-leaf-switch-for-pushbutton?search_query=Leaf&results=114

Arcade1980

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 10:04:23 am »
Thanks Yotsuya:

Will place an order for 12 switches - appreciate the recommendation.  I can't make out the pictures that well, but standard hook up with the wires yes?  Ie. .187 terminals

Cheers

Hi everyone,

Thank you

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/home/electrical/components/microswitches/rollie/36_rollie-leaf-switch-for-pushbutton?search_query=Leaf&results=114

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:35:52 am »
Yes, you should be fine there.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:17:46 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 11:35:51 am »
What's your setup? Meaning, monitor, emulator etc.  I'm wondering if your performance issue isn't related more towards the screen and emulation then the buttons.  The only differences I've found in leaf verses micro switches is the amount of resistance when pushing them.  Because of this you can repeat push leafs faster, but I'm asking cause I remember thinking the same thing as you especially on Galaga, that I had a control issue.  Galaga for example seemed slow because of the games limit on number of shots per screen, meaning you can't fire as many as you want, you have to wait until they either kill one of the enemies, or fall off the screen.  There is an alternate fast shooting Galaga which allows you to shoot as much as you want, and this was throwing me off as that's what I had played a lot of.

There's also the issue of lag depending on your setup, which can be helped in other ways.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 02:25:58 am »
I agree with the above, the limiting factor in games such as Galaga is the original ROM code which polls the button input port quite slowly.

So the preference with buttons largely comes down to the feel, which is two factors, the weight of the moving part of the button, therefore inertia, and the spring pressure.

Our Goldleaf buttons score very highly on both of those factors.

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 12:39:26 pm »

Hi everyone,

Thank you

These looked interesting... but.. they are not going to have the same kind of feel and travel, as a typical Galaga leaf button.

Basically, Id guess that when pressed... they tend to bottom out, easily, and every time... without being able to keep that from happening.
When you bottom out these buttons.. it does not feel as good physically, but more importantly... it slows the rapidfire response potentials.

With a long travel leaf button... you press the button to the point of the leafs touching... which may be like 2mm down.  Then, keeping this
mild pressure and vertical level position... you can lightly vibrate the leafs  on and off... with less than a papers thickness worth of travel...
and with almost no physical effort at all.   I believe the term used for this method, is called  "Feathering".   Its most especially useful in
games like Galaga... and even more critical in  Haleys Comet.

Think about it like a Diving board.  Imagine if someone put a box about 3 inches under the end of the board.   It cuts the springy potentials
of the board, and how much you can optimize the spring to get maximum potential energy from it... And... once the board hits the box... the
impact feel into your body... is Jolting and Fatiguing.

When you move that box down 1ft away from that board... you can now bounce deeper, and get to the point where the board give you much
greater spring return energy... and yet, you can easily keep from going too far... and crashing the board into the box.  Thus, each bounce, is
smooth, silent, and near effortless.. in comparison to the previous method.

Most modern games do not require high rates of continued fire-button presses... so that minimal amount of "Crashing",  is not going to bother
much... nor will you really have much in the line of fatigue, due to a lot of rest moments, and lower fire rates being required.

But a game like Haley's Comet... that game basically requires you to fire at maximum fire rate, for the whole game.  The faster the sustained
rate... the more powerups are capable of being earned, and used to clear the crazy fast and numerous  enemies / rocks.

Galaga is deceptive.. because there are many moments were the fire rate seems capped... but... the game gives an immediate bullet
availability, once a target had been hit... so if you have a perfect string of hits... you get a far faster fire-rate, that what normally
is had when just shooting empty space.   Also... due to the sheer amount of presses... and even with many break periods... it takes its toll
in regards to fatigue... if one is using a typical microswitch,   and or any switch that is constantly bottoming out.

Andy is simply not correct in the matter.  There is a mechanical advantage, and the game does in fact allow for fast firing, depending on
the players skill levels + enemy's relative distances / positions.

I Dare anyone to play Haley's Comet for 1hrs worth of time,  no rests,   over and over again...   on non long travel / original leafswitches.
(If you make it past the 20 min mark... without major pain and fatigue issues... Id be surprised)

Then compare the next day... with the real deal... using the proper Feathering technique (not bottoming the button out)  and see what happens.

(make sure to get leafs that are not totally metal-fatigued,  or results may not be effective.  Similarly, make sure all mounting, spacers, and
distances, are properly set up)

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 01:50:35 pm »
Think about it like a Diving board.  Imagine if someone put a box about 3 inches under the end of the board.   It cuts the springy potentials
of the board, and how much you can optimize the spring to get maximum potential energy from it... And... once the board hits the box... the
impact feel into your body... is Jolting and Fatiguing.

I prefer your "sex on a spring bed vs foam bed" analogy or your "fat guy bottoming out on a trampoline" analogy.  :dunno