Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: curious to know any pdp can rival the crt experience ? and 65pf12 is no good...  (Read 1703 times)

geargeeksp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2020, 02:04:22 pm
  • keeping it real!
hey guys, this is Lee all the way from the other side of our "great firewall" in Mainland China

I recently find out about rgbs-tv mod, and G-Mame!
WOW, they are so so much better.

so now after my first successful modded - tv,  a 34 inch sony, it is called L34, the water-down version of kv3400, which i also have....
for current content, the hr36 is amazing btw, but for retro gaming.....it is ....well pretty ---smurfy--- lol.

i know crt is the best for 240p and everything , but i can't help but wondering what else is out there.
since now that I bought most of the good crt from my city (i have 10+ more in the garage, this r the top ones of my collection, I know it is like nothing compared with what u guys have outside of China though)

I don't see myself using LCD for retro that much.

just between crt & plasma
I would love to hear if any model can come close to the crt exp, i don't mind buy a ossc , but I would prefer a native solution if it is out-there.
and I don't mind buying a 852 x 480 plasma if I can get myself a good one locally, (on the hunting currently lol)

anyways

I will look forward to hear from u all on this topic.

cheers

Lee

p.s. posted a dvi-i to rgbs cable that I have modded from xbox360 cable, it is not the best cable that I have in mind, but 10 times better than those junk that I bought off taobao for way more...

and the consoles r my friend's , I got into this by most his intro and the guys from his group....so i am like just 2 months old into this whole scene , even i have been into retro / modern console gaming since as long as i can remember lol
just wanna get more out of this gaming exp

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
I know at one time someone was making a piece of hardware that was a "scan line generator" that emulated the look of CRT on LCD and plasma flat displays... from what I recall it did a pretty good job at it.

these days, you can get software rendered scan lines and CRT look out of MAME and whatnot, so perhaps this is why the hardware scan line generator kind of died off.

overall i think LCD performance is much better than it used to be. (better refresh rates and whatnot.) the only reason i can see sticking with CRT is for retro light gun games (which only work with CRT)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:01:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
I know at one time someone was making a piece of hardware that was a "scan line generator" that emulated the look of CRT on LCD and plasma flat displays... from what I recall it did a pretty good job at it.
Pretty sure you're thinking of CraftyMech.

He designed the the mini-SLG that Paradise Arcade Shop sells here.

Scott

geargeeksp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2020, 02:04:22 pm
  • keeping it real!

these days, you can get software rendered scan lines and CRT look out of MAME and whatnot, so perhaps this is why the hardware scan line generator kind of died off.

overall i think LCD performance is much better than it used to be. (better refresh rates and whatnot.) the only reason i can see sticking with CRT is for retro light gun games (which only work with CRT)

i guess i should tweak more from the software side,
thx again
just wanna get more out of this gaming exp

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
the only reason i can see sticking with CRT is for retro light gun games (which only work with CRT)

I would disagree with that. A good CRT still looks better than a 4K TV. It feels right and it plays right. The gap is narrowing, but we're not there yet.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
LG C9 OLED TV + OSSC  ;D

The TV is very expensive though, and OLED panels are prone to burn-in like plasma. Also OLED has same inferior motion resolution as LCD.

A good used plasma can be great, indeed, but they are not easy to find in good condition, no matter where in the world you live...