Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DAC displayport/hdmi to VGA/component / RGB mod questions  (Read 1286 times)

allenb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2020, 12:03:18 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
DAC displayport/hdmi to VGA/component / RGB mod questions
« on: May 31, 2020, 10:50:11 pm »
I have read that many are having success with either displayport or hdmi DAC (digital to analog converters) to either vga or component outputs. 

I saw Calamity's post http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,141855.msg1667374.html#msg1667374 that mentioned this may be a viable alternative. 

For now, I just wanted to try running to both an old multisync montor and trinitron TV. 

I have seen recommendations for the delock displayport adapter and portta hdmi adapter.

1. Is there a preferred DAC for this purpose? 
2. Is HDMI or displayport better?
3. On the trinitron, I see 3 options.  I don't think an RGB mod will add anything additional, but am willing to do it if it will significantly improve quality.
     Should I get one that goes HDMI --> component,  I think these may only output specific resolutions (480i) that would work.  This would be the easiest
     Displayport or HDMI to VGA with VGA to component transcoder (which appears to require VGA to SCART cable) or perform RGB mod
4. Forget DAC and find a video card that will output analog directly

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: DAC displayport/hdmi to VGA/component / RGB mod questions
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 09:21:04 pm »
1. The HDfury2 or 3. Not cheap, but by far the best out there. After these, the other recommendations you post should do fine.
2. HDMI has been around/in use longer, and was more universal, so probably that. But not for any other reason.
3 & 4. Probably easiest to grab a card with an analog out,  and then either mod the set or get a decent RGB-to-Component transcoder. Going from Digital to analong and then changing the encoding to component you run the risk of the devices you buy not playing nice with one another. And a low-end video card will be cheaper than a good DAC.

If you want to look at an RGB mod, the thread with that title on the Shmups forum is the best place to do some research, and then to ask for advice if you need any. Remember that the inside of a CRT can be dangerous, and you'll need to learn how to discharge the tube and probably also how to be safe around live equipment.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56155  <--- Shmups RGB mod thread