Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Major Windows 10 update 8/8/19  (Read 2181 times)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Major Windows 10 update 8/8/19
« on: August 08, 2019, 07:24:58 am »
So there's a major windows 10 update about to force itself on you. It killed my crt_emudriver install, forcing me to revert to LCD and set up again. Nothing unusual there, but this time I had to turn off fast start, stop and disable amd external events utility, hide modes this monitor cannot display all over again. Can't remember having to go that hard before, but hey

This time, however, they've fixed the huge delay switching resolutions, which is nice!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:56:42 am by buttersoft »

Foxhole

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 04:36:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Major Windows 10 update 8/8/19
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 09:32:56 am »
How long does it take to switch resolution now?
And how much time does it take for arcadeosd to start?

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 08:48:25 pm »
It's back to the way it was. It might have been an issue handing over the screen to certain programs i.e away from the desktop. When i ran Attractmode the program would launch fine, and the screen would blank and the intro movie sound would play, but the visuals wouldn't come up for 4-5 seconds more. The visuals simply cut in where the sound was up to and i'd miss most of the intro movie.

It nice to have that fixed, but the OP was also a heads up about the big Win10 update. The big updates will normally kill your crt_emudriver install, and this one is no exception. If you back up your config files from VMM, or just your resolutions, you can simply resinstall them.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 06:21:47 am »
And f- me but the next minor patching update has killed everything again - this time all my video modes were flickering like buggery. 240p right through 600i are all jumping so badly nothing is useable and there's huge vertical ghosting and you can barely see anything. Plugged in the LCD and with a shitload of system resets and setting all the options again, uninstalling and reinstalling the driver and doing all the modelines again, i'm back up and running.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 09:36:50 pm by buttersoft »

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 09:07:31 am »
This is why I never connect any mame cabs to the network.

Once the initial set up is done auto update is turned off along with all other things that try to connect or pester and the wifi turned off.

Still running XP and 7 problem free lol

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 09:33:50 pm »
This is why I never connect any mame cabs to the network.

Once the initial set up is done auto update is turned off along with all other things that try to connect or pester and the wifi turned off.

Still running XP and 7 problem free lol

I'm playing games over the internets on this cab though :) Can't turn off auto-update on win10 permanently, it resets, and if a security issue is found i don't want my network vulnerable.

My vertical cab is on the network too, it needs to be for multiplayer driving games, but it's not able to connect to the net. In theory I suppose it could try to update from other PCs on the network or even the cab next to it, but this hasn't happened in reality.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 09:38:45 pm by buttersoft »