Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT_EmuDriver broken, can't fix it  (Read 5516 times)

webodan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2019, 06:05:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CRT_EmuDriver broken, can't fix it
« on: August 07, 2019, 02:22:17 pm »
Hi, I'm posting here because I can't fix this problem I'm having on my own anymore, after several days of trying, reformatting and troubleshooting... I end up like this.

I have an R7 250X with ATOM-15 BIOS installed in it, I use RetroArch with CRT SwitchRes, and I tried Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 with both the Crimson and Adrenalin drivers. Nothing worked well.

I'm pretty sure this card (rebranded HD 7770) is perfectly compatible with this because when the driver won't crap out, it works fine, but then it ends up crapping out and I don't know what to do. Here's my problem:

I want to use an N64 emulator in RetroArch, which for some reason won't display full screen unless I set the desktop resolution to a super resolution of 2560x240. OK, so I do that, and for the most part it appears to work... Until I shut down the computer. Then I bring it up again and the video output is garbled. I can't see anything, and It's hard to even uninstall the driver in this state. When this happens, the only fix I found is to regenerate the video modes using vmmaker (I used a tutorial from cdcruze that explains how to set up the super resolutions ini file so it works with retroarch) but right now , I can't even do that! even after uninstalling the driver then installing it again, now vmmaker says that the video modes "are rejected by driver" :angry: :angry: what's wrong with this???? How do I fix this mess?

Sorry for my tone but I've been several days into this and I'm sick of uninstalling and reinstalling this broken driver over and over and even trying several Windows versions in case, idk, win8.1 wasn't fully compatible. But same broken, garbled display after working fine for a while.

Hope someone can help me.

SteelRush

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2023, 02:17:52 pm
Re: CRT_EmuDriver broken, can't fix it
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 03:37:49 pm »
How do you have this card connected to a PC?  Through a JPAC?

webodan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 04:02:55 pm »
How do you have this card connected to a PC?  Through a JPAC?

Nah, just using the PCI-E port.

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 04:32:17 pm »
I use RetroArch with CRT SwitchRes

I want to use an N64 emulator in RetroArch

Sounds like a RetroArch problem to me.  What do the RetroArch support people say?
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

webodan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 05:18:49 pm »
I'm still waiting for their reply.

It's weird because it completely destroys the video modes. Even setting any super resolutions after they crap out using arcade_osd gives me a garbled display. Even before booting RetroArch, the Windows desktop, once it has garbled after installing the driver, keeps doing it.

I'm posting a picture that shows how it garbles once it does:

Everyhing seems appropriately installed, EDID emulation set with arcade 15khz, super resolution ini file edited as per this tutorial here, generated and installed successfully, last version of RA, Windows 10 LTSB 2016. Driver looks fine in device manager and all. Wtf.

Edit: I think I noticed a pattern on the issue. When I POWER ON the computer from cold boot, it produces this garbled display, regardless of the video mode being progressive or interlaced (if it's in 640x480 it looks fine, but when it switches to 2560x240 it garbles, and if the desktop res is 2560x240, it will garble immediately after POST). But then, if I reboot it right after that, it looks fine! what could this be? driver or PSU problem? Does anyone else experience a similar issue?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:07:47 pm by webodan »

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 06:13:59 pm »
Did you follow those instructions to the letter?   Did you disable the "AMD External Events Utility" like they suggest?  If you re-install the drivers, you probably need to disable it again.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

webodan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 06:25:14 pm »
Did you follow those instructions to the letter?   Did you disable the "AMD External Events Utility" like they suggest?  If you re-install the drivers, you probably need to disable it again.

Yeah, I followed everything so hard I even memorized it.

All except for disabling the AMD thing tho. Which I've just done, then I've cold booted the computer and... same garbled display. Rebooted and then it works, just like before.

I'm afraid it wasn't that.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:26:55 pm by webodan »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:54 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 06:50:08 pm »
Check this out:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=160691

I had similar problems but couldn’t fix it until I set the video resolution within Retroarch.  Couldn’t remember until after seeing the solution to the problem posted in the thread above, but yeah it worked after that.

webodan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 06:59:35 pm »
Check this out:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=160691

I had similar problems but couldn’t fix it until I set the video resolution within Retroarch.  Couldn’t remember until after seeing the solution to the problem posted in the thread above, but yeah it worked after that.

Hmm. I deleted retroarch's settings file, enabled only rgui, video_fullscreen and crt switchres. Was that it? I already said that the garbled display comes up before RA even starts, that is, happens right after cold booting the machine. So I don't think it's the culprit of this.

Anyway, after doing this I sadly still get the aforementioned problem. If I set a progressive super resolution as the desktop it also garbles.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:01:48 pm by webodan »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:54 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 07:13:09 pm »
I’m confused if the issue comes on before Retroarch starts then sounds like an issue with the driver or Windows settings, but I thought you said it was specifically related to a Retroarch issue.

Ok reading through the thread again, did I see correctly that a desktop resolution of 640x480i  is ok after reboot?  You shouldn’t need for your desktop setting to be a Super resolution.  In mine I have the desktop at 640x480i and the resolution setting within Retroarch for the system (N64) is specified at 320x240 if memory serves.  Retroarch switches to this resolution upon launching a game and it runs well. Before when I tried Super resolutions I got a similar issue to what you showed.

webodan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 07:33:13 pm »
No, BOTH interlaced and super resolutions are fine after a reboot.

And I set a super resolution as the desktop res because no matter what I did to RA, it would not show up after loading an N64 ROM with both ParaLLEl and Mupen64plus. This seems like a bug to me.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:43:53 pm by webodan »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 05:18:43 am »
Edit: I think I noticed a pattern on the issue. When I POWER ON the computer from cold boot, it produces this garbled display, regardless of the video mode being progressive or interlaced (if it's in 640x480 it looks fine, but when it switches to 2560x240 it garbles, and if the desktop res is 2560x240, it will garble immediately after POST). But then, if I reboot it right after that, it looks fine! what could this be? driver or PSU problem? Does anyone else experience a similar issue?

You need to turn off the "fast startup" feature of Windows 10, this will fix the issue (https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup).

This happens because you flashed the card, and fast startup bypasses the normal driver initialization that is required to clean some hardware configurations that we use to boot on 15 kHz.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 05:23:14 am by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

webodan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 10:27:08 am »

You need to turn off the "fast startup" feature of Windows 10, this will fix the issue (https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup).

This happens because you flashed the card, and fast startup bypasses the normal driver initialization that is required to clean some hardware configurations that we use to boot on 15 kHz.

Oh, so that was it! I disabled that then cold booted the machine and it works properly now. Maybe we should have this reminded in some sort of warning in a driver install or readme. That ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- was obscure. Thank you for your help Calamity!

jimj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 10:55:09 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 11:10:21 pm »
THANK YOU!
I always disable fast startup when I configure Windows, but I skipped my normal Windows configuration until after I was sure my newly flashed card would work.  Thankfully I quickly found this post and implemented the easy fix of disabling fast startup.  It'd be nice if a warning about fast startup could be included in the ATOM-15 download page.